• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Merguson

Banned
This happened to Cammalleri IIRC and he wasn't out for more than a period.

This also happened to Bieksa and he was out for several months.

Start praying, Sens fans

Karlsson

Phaneuf had the same injury and he was out for a month or so.

Of course, it was near his ACL so he got very lucky.

Well Detroit just gave up. Wings should never get 2 goal leads. They can NEVER hold them.

THIS X 100000000000000000000

How many times is that this year? I mean really? This team needs to wake up now!!! Their goalie is not good at all, shoot the dang puck!!!!!

Also get Abby OUT OF THE TOP 6, HE IS NOT A TOP 6 player!!!!!!!

zedge

E. Kane says most of the criticism he gets are racially motivated.

Ain't even mad. I don't even doubt it.

That Vegas photo he took with the money stack was pretty funny, but it was a bad time to publish, considering the lockout was still on. On the racial side, I can see people say "look at this black guy being black" when looking at that picture.

As much as we make fun of Winnipeg for being racist, is this actually the case there? Too "small-town" for a Young Money Cash Money Billionaire?

I dont think Winnipeg is racist. Just like any other city. Its pretty dumb for people to label a place like that because of some idiots on twitter. I think it was mostly the timing of it with the lockout. Either way it was stupid and un professional. Hopefully this kid grows up.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
THIS X 100000000000000000000

How many times is that this year? I mean really? This team needs to wake up now!!! Their goalie is not good at all, shoot the dang puck!!!!!

Also get Abby OUT OF THE TOP 6, HE IS NOT A TOP 6 player!!!!!!!
Yeah, how is Abby on the top 6, yet Tatar is being buried on the 3rd line??? WTF Babcock? At least Pavel's dirtiness came through and tied it up.

Socreges

Banned
I dont think Winnipeg is racist. Just like any other city. Its pretty dumb for people to label a place like that because of some idiots on twitter. I think it was mostly the timing of it with the lockout. Either way it was stupid and un professional. Hopefully this kid grows up.
Winnipeg is fairly 'white'. In my experience, populations with less diversity tend to have more racist tendencies. You can't generalize the entire population, but I'd bet the hostility toward Kane is mixed somewhat with prejudiced perceptions of race.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The best player in the league /BobbyMAc

th_RalphWiggum.gif

th_RalphWiggum.gif

th_RalphWiggum.gif

Damn! Karlsson down?! Spezza down!?

Alfie to carry team til he retires.

Fuck !!!!!!!! I leave the house for a few and Matt Crook took Karlsson out !!!!!!

Ghhugyfcjxjckchk lj. Ioguivhk

Fuck this season x 100000000000000 fuck Fehr fuck everyone !

Sounds really bad, time to start reading on the top 10 prospects in this year's draft.

Sens-GAF we need to find out where EK lives and show up at his door with steroids and deer antler spray. NHL drug testing is still a joke right?

calder

E. Kane says most of the criticism he gets are racially motivated.

Ain't even mad. I don't even doubt it.

That Vegas photo he took with the money stack was pretty funny, but it was a bad time to publish, considering the lockout was still on. On the racial side, I can see people say "look at this black guy being black" when looking at that picture.

As much as we make fun of Winnipeg for being racist, is this actually the case there? Too "small-town" for a Young Money Cash Money Billionaire?

Winnipeg is no more or less racist than most any Canadian city - which is to say a lot more than we like to pretend but not as bad as could be. To me I'd say the 'small town' aspect is a bigger deal, many fans here treated Keith Tkachuk like absolute shit in many of the same ways they treat Kane poorly now, and like in Tkachuk's case Evander did some dumb stuff that wouldn't likely be a big deal (or even noticed) in a larger city but them's the breaks. I said it before in relation to Evander but if Tkachuk had been a player in the days of cell phone cameras and social media he'd have lasted maybe one season before being traded for 50 cents on the dollar.

I'd agree with all of Kane's remarks in general but I'd quibble with "most" of the criticism but I'm not him and I'm sure his twitter feed is a nightmare. The twitter photo was vastly overblown but it was inevitably a shitstorm of idiots freaking out and would have happened to any player who did that during day 100 and something of the lockout. At that point a player could post a pic of himself washing puppies at the animal shelter and people would have whined. Doing it on a trip to Vegas was just an excuse for pissed off hockey fans (and a super bored/embittered media) to vent. But yeah, you sure don't have to look hard to find dubious racial undertones in criticism of Evander Kane around here, and it spikes to ridiculous (and not so undertone-y so much as overtone :p) occasionally such as when he got his hilariously infamous haircut. My god that was a agonizing day to be listening to TSN1290.

Without reading the whole article yet at least it seems he's self aware enough to admit he brings some of it on himself. The last thing he wants is people talking about the rather douchey shit he did last year that made fans disinclined to give him the benefit of the doubt again. And colour be damned, if anyone gives interviews as smug and self satisfied as Kane often did last year he'd be hard pressed to not be disliked by the fans.

calder

Winnipeg is fairly 'white'. In my experience, populations with less diversity tend to have more racist tendencies. You can't generalize the entire population, but I'd bet the hostility toward Kane is mixed somewhat with prejudiced perceptions of race.

Winnipeg isn't that white really, I'd say it's as or more diverse than say Edmonton or Calgary but I haven't been to Alberta in decades and I'm too lazy to google it effectively. Less diverse than TO or Vancouver, but more than Montreal or Ottawa. Certainly a lot more diverse than the Maritime provinces, which is usually my benchmark for homogeneous in Canada.

You heard it hear first, calder is a racist. Wont be suprised if we get one of these petitions soon from Winnipeg.

Oh shit, cover blown. My next tag is going to be *awful*.

Socreges

Banned
u mad/forgetful?

Cammy is soff. He missed a bunch of games.
I guess what I actually remember is hearing a report shortly after that it wasn't too serious (ie, mostly superficial). Thought for some reason that he'd returned that game. Anyway, point was that the injury could be very minor or very serious.

Winnipeg isn't that white really, I'd say it's as or more diverse than say Edmonton or Calgary but I haven't been to Alberta in decades and I'm too lazy to google it effectively. Less diverse than TO or Vancouver, but more than Montreal or Ottawa. Certainly a lot more diverse than the Maritime provinces, which is usually my benchmark for homogeneous in Canada.
Damn, 0 for 2 here. I thought I remembered hearing that Winnipeg is very white apart from some large Filipino populations.

Cake Boss

Banned
FUCK THE PENGUINS

FUCK MIKE JOHNSON

FUCK COOKE

FUCK MIKE JOHNSON THE CUNT

FUCK THIS GAME

FUCK DONALD FEHR

FUCK MIKE JOHNSON

FUCK THIS.

The pens are a 1st round exit waiting to happen and will never win a cup ever again with Fleury as their starter and their crappy D plus Crosby isn't the same player.
They are having trouble with an AHL team.

zedge

Winnipeg isn't that white really, I'd say it's as or more diverse than say Edmonton or Calgary but I haven't been to Alberta in decades and I'm too lazy to google it effectively. Less diverse than TO or Vancouver, but more than Montreal or Ottawa. Certainly a lot more diverse than the eMaritime provinces, which is usually my benchmark for homogeneous in Canada.

Oh shit, cover blown. My next tag is going to be *awful*.
Calgary is like the third most diverse city in the country now. (which makes me lol at the stupid stereotypes out there about it, maybe 20 years ago) Not even close. Recent transplant from Winnipeg here was pretty flaberghasted at the difference. Winnipeg has barely grown in the last 30 years where as Calgary and Edmonton have more than doubled in size during that time. Winnipeg does have a rather large Filipino community for its size though.
Not saying Winnipeg is not diverse though. Canada as a whole is. Especially our cities.

CrankyJay

Banned
FUCK THE PENGUINS

FUCK MIKE JOHNSON

FUCK COOKE

FUCK MIKE JOHNSON THE CUNT

FUCK THIS GAME

FUCK DONALD FEHR

FUCK MIKE JOHNSON

FUCK THIS.

The pens are a 1st round exit waiting to happen and will never win a cup ever again with Fleury as their starter and their crappy D plus Crosby isn't the same player.
They are having trouble with an AHL team.

That's what you get for calling me blind.

Fucking Cooke, that shitbag should be shoveling manure or flipping burgers at McD's somewhere not taking out players with 100x the talent he has.

Chris Neil is no better than Cooke. Fuck off

Right, Neil hasn't ended any careers or been suspended anywhere near as much as Crook, can't even remember last time he was suspended actually

Top Bottom