• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

MacAttack

Dont get why he doesn't move them somewhere where he could drive to, like at the south of the border or in southern Quebec like Gatineau.

With an hour (or more) long commute nearly every day, he would not see the kids that much anyway. When you include long road trips when he wouldn't be home at all, it might not be worth it to uproot your family and move somewhere where you don't know anybody.

No matter what he does, it should be kept between his family. I find passing judgment on other people's family life from an outsiders perspective is pretty shallow. That said, I view this as a publicity move to bring attention to the cause he supports. He's bringing this type of scrutiny upon himself so it's fair game.

calder

Dude, just get a retriever.
You wouldn't get an argument from me, my parents have a lab and she's the greatest dog in the history of living things. The one thing I don't like about living in the downtown area is I can't have a dog.
031.jpg

With an hour (or more) long commute nearly every day, he would not see the kids that much anyway. When you include long road trips when he wouldn't be home at all, it might not be worth it to uproot your family and move somewhere where you don't know anybody.

No matter what he does, it should be kept between his family. I find passing judgment on other people's family life from an outsiders perspective is pretty shallow. That said, I view this as a publicity move to bring attention to the cause he supports. He's bringing this type of scrutiny upon himself so it's fair game.

For sure, if he just says "My kids are already in school there" everyone just shrugs and thinks "That makes sense".

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm not sure how to look this up, but maybe someone knows it by chance: Historically, has there ever been a goalie who won the Vezina despite not playing the vast majority of games (due to injury or not being the clear Nr1?). Or in other words, what's the least number/percentage games played historically to win a Vezina?

Erdrick

Winnipeg is fairly 'white'. In my experience, populations with less diversity tend to have more racist tendencies. You can't generalize the entire population, but I'd bet the hostility toward Kane is mixed somewhat with prejudiced perceptions of race.

I'll just say I'd have been better off learning Tagalog in school than French and leave it at that.

I don't think any of the criticism of Kane has been because of his skin colour, or at least anyone that I have ever talked to about him. It's more been because he has been perceived or thought as acting like a douchebag from around the city. But as I have said in the past, as long as he produces on the ice, he can be as much of a prick off it as he likes, and the fans will still cheer for him. Just like we did for Tkachuk and he was whiter than the background on NeoGAF.

Also, Ponikarovsky traded for draft picks, and some picks traded for a minor league player from the Pens? Not sure what to make of it. Sure was a short stay for Ponikarovsky. Gotta do something to start this team up, as it's mired in many, MANY issues at the moment.

Kinda out of it on the hockey news tonight, as I was busy watching Skyfall for the 5th time, 1st time at home. So good.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Holy shit, I just watched the longer replay of the Karlsson injury (on the NHL website http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=655594&navid=DL|NHL|home), and... damn, the aftermath makes it look even worse. He gets hit, goes down, hit looks painful enough.. then he gets up, tries to put some weight on his left foot to skate off but IMMEDIATELY screams in agony and lifts it off the ice and doesn't put it down again. Oh man, that looked SO painful. Like he didn't realize himself how hurt he was and thought it was just bruised or sth, but as soon as he put some weight on it... ouch.

MacAttack

I'm not sure how to look this up, but maybe someone knows it by chance: Historically, has there ever been a goalie who won the Vezina despite not playing the vast majority of games (due to injury or not being the clear Nr1?). Or in other words, what's the least number/percentage games played historically to win a Vezina?

Thomas had to battle Manny Fernandez and Rask in both his Vezina seasons and played 54 and 57 games respectively. I wouldn't be surprised if they were among the lowest amount of GP by a Vezina winner.

Marvie_3

Banned

Tom Barrasso won it and only played 42 games in '84. You'll find guys that won it playing fewer games before that but the Vezina was shared among all the goalies on the team from the 60's to the beginning of the 80's.

Hasek won it with 41 games in '95 but it was a 48 game season. Guys before the 60's won it with less than 50 games but the seasons weren't nearly as long as they are now.

zedge

Saddledome has about as much excitement as a library. It's like years of being Flames fans has killed these people on the inside.
Its not a loud arena. A lot of that is the design though. Acoustics are terrible in there with the stupid sloped roof. Which is also lined with tiles that absorb the sound. Too many stuffed shirt season ticket holders too.

Its not a loud arena. A lot of that is the design though. Acoustics are terrible in there with the stupid sloped roof. Too many stuffed shirt season ticket holders too.

I retract everything I said. They just did a "Go Flames Go" chant.

Not many suits from what I've seen. But definitely a lot of Dixie Hillbillies.

There are no hillbillys in Calgary. lol jeesh
This is not the ozarks

Calgary was boring as fuck when I was there on business.
Business of giving you the business.

Holy fuck the Blues won. With AHL in net. Should've started Allen several games ago. Need to catch up on highlights.

zedge

Calgary was boring as fuck when I was there on business.
Business of giving you the business.

Holy fuck the Blues won. With AHL in net. Should've started Allen several games ago. Need to catch up on highlights.

I would have shown you a good time.
matching costumes

I went to get my Alberta health insurance today downtown and the couple in front of me both had tails attached to their pants. I've made a huge mistake.

snack

I hate Cooke as much as the next guy, but I just don't think this was intentional. Cooke is looking down at the puck, and not at Karlsson's leg. It was an unfortunate scenario. Fuck Cooke, but I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Top Bottom