• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

I was just kidding. I actually like the Flyers chances tonight. They usually match up well with the Pens, and I thought that they outplayed them the 1st game they just missed a bunch of easy scoring chances.

Cake Boss

Banned
BDkIXTWCUAA8iEw.jpg

I was watching highlights of last night's game and the Canucks' defense was atrocious. With all the breakaways and odd-man rushes the Blackhawks had it could've been 7-3. Schneider played out of his mind. At least the defense redeemed itself slightly by scoring two late goals.

Garrison has been a total bust so far. At this point I'd rather the Canucks buy him out instead of Ballard.

This road trip should be a good measuring stick of where the Canucks are at. How will they fare with a healthy lineup and non-NW opponents?

OnPoint

FYP

Pegula should grow a pair though, he can throw obscene money at Erhoff and leino but he can't step up and take charge of his team ?

Exactly. This is the key point. He comes in here on a white horse shouting lines about how we're gonna win Stanley Cups, crying when meeting fan-favorite members from years gone by... It's time to put his money where his mouth is. Get out of your Ivory Tower and break some eggs Pegula -- we want our damned championship omelet already!

Sabres-GAF is a sad plac right now.

I was at the Sabres - Jets game last night. One thing was immediately clear -- this franchise is at its lowest point since the (previous) lockout, and everyone knows it. It wasn't evidenced by the goal Winnipeg scored like 20 seconds into the game. Anyone who watches half of a Sabres game can see that this squad just can't hack it. It was highlighted by how quickly the arena went from having no excitement or buzz whatsoever to almost constant booing from the crowd. This is a fanbase that has stuck with the team through a lot without much complaint at the actual games. There's a problem when your team just can't get the puck out of their own end for multiple minutes at a time on a game-to-game basis. There's a problem when the people who paid money to be in the seats aren't cheering the team to encourage them. There's a problem when there are 6.3 seconds left on the clock with a faceoff to the left of the opposing goaltender and you're down one goal and a huge portion of the crowd is making their way to the exits.

The team is so bad they're beyond fan support. This is where management needs to step in and make changes. The coaching staff has been benching players but it hasn't helped. The GM won't make trades because he 'doesn't like the value he's getting back', according to the morning show in Buffalo. This is where our venerated and holy owner Pegula should step in and make something happen. Force a trade or, fuck, I don't know, FIRE PEOPLE. But he won't. Because he is, first and foremost, a fan. He's a fan of Ruff and Regier, who would have been fired seasons ago on any other team. This season especially. Yet somehow they're allowed to stay here and continually underachieve. I'm flabbergasted. Shouldn't he, as a fan, want this team to do as good as possible? I'm not an advocate for sweeping change every time a squad goes on a losing streak, but we're past the point that this can be considered a streak. This is who this team is. Something has to give.

I am so irritated with this franchise it hurts.

Edit: <3 you Marvie

And they just waived McCormick; he found out via the Internet, before being told by anyone, and at practice. Ruff's response as to why he was waived "Too much of the same thing." Sounds familiar.

This franchise is in shambles, and Pegula is on the verge of ruining any good will he had with this area. He refuses to make the tough decisions that people want to see.

Exactly. This is the key point. He comes in here on a white horse shouting lines about how we're gonna win Stanley Cups, crying when meeting fan-favorite members from years gone by... It's time to put his money where his mouth is. Get out of your Ivory Tower and break some eggs Pegula -- we want our damned championship omelet already!

Maybe the Roy trade was the egg-breaker?

Montresor

Even more funny considering Habs are 8th in the league with GF and Rangers are 20th, now I know why KingHenrik doesn't bother watching this team.

Montreal is really amazing me, especially after how badly they have looked in both their games against the Leafs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Montreal is really amazing me, especially after how badly they have looked in both their games against the Leafs.
Leafs just have their number for some reason, I don't get it either. The games between the teams have always gone back and forth though no matter how good or bad either team was playing.

Fei

Goddamn.

Honestly I thought Hades' link was going to be some joke. I literally couldn't imagine this would actually happen.

Not sure if this is good or bad for the Leafs when they face Buffalo on Thursday

I partially believe part of the problem is because there was NO accountability in there. With this move, the team won't have to look at their coach in dismay. Mediocrity will no longer be rewarded.

OnPoint

Few weeks ago, I said that Lindy Ruff had the safest coaching job in the NHL. So yeah... I look kinda dumb right now.

Was the Sabres coach since 1997, through thick and thin. He had a great run and you in no way look dumb. He should have been fired years ago, if it were any other team.

Fei

Frankly, Ruff deserved be fired. I'm not going to lie and say I'm not a little sad, but it was way past due. I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

Regier should be fired as well. He's made quite a few bold moves lately. I appreciate that given his history, but he's seen little to no returns.

Ruff had a press conference today before this news was announced (the twitter post is the only announcement from the Sabres so far):

"If we're going to be like this, it isn't working the way we're going, I think the indication today is we're going to have to try some things and that's what we're talking about."

Wonder if he knew what things were going to be tried today...

Frankly, Ruff deserved be fired. I'm not going to lie and say I'm not a little sad, but it was way past due. I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

Regier should be fired as well. He's made quite a few bold moves lately. I appreciate that given his history, but he's seen little to no returns.

Totally agree with you. I think everyone is so floored because we knew it should happen, but in reality NEVER expected it. Especially mid-season. Some faith in this upper management has been restored.

Fei

My bet is James Patrick will be interim coach, and Ron Rolston will be permanent replacement.

That said, the radio guys are playing up the Patrick Roy-Grigorenko connections. Would be amazing. :lol

Top Bottom