• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
First NHL game I saw in person was Tampa Bay at Montreal on (I think) December 12th, 2002. It was a 3-2 loss. I don't remember much about the game itself. I was with probably half of the grade 9 french students at my school on a 4 day trip to Montreal. Our tickets for the game were $26 each which is a little more than half what they would be now. I do remember one of the teachers setting up a betting pool with the students on the bus while we drove to the arena.

calder

My first NHL game was in Calgary at the Corral in I think '83 or '84, I was 9 or 10. It was the year before the Saddledome opened, and I saw a fight-filled Smythe division clash between the Flames and the Oilers.

I barely remember the game, but I *do* vividly remember my dad hustling me through the parking lot after (I think the Flames lost) as small groups of Oilers and Flames fans threw down. Clearest memory was a car driving through the lot and stopping suddenly so some guy could jump out, smash his beer bottle on the ground and start swearing at some Oiler fans. I also remember cops. Good times.

zedge

My first NHL game was in Calgary at the Corral in I think '83 or '84, I was 9 or 10. It was the year before the Saddledome opened, and I saw a fight-filled Smythe division clash between the Flames and the Oilers.

I barely remember the game, but I *do* vividly remember my dad hustling me through the parking lot after (I think the Flames lost) as small groups of Oilers and Flames fans threw down. Clearest memory was a car driving through the lot and stopping suddenly so some guy could jump out, smash his beer bottle on the ground and start swearing at some Oiler fans. I also remember cops. Good times.

You are almost as old as me haha. ;)

B o A was serious business back then.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
My first NHL game was back in 1988, I was 6, my dad took me. Wings vs North Stars. Minnesota won 4-1, the only Wings goal scored by Brent Fedyk. Only reason I remember that is because he has the same first name as me.

EDIT - Ok, just checked hockeydb and apparently, the Wings won that game 4-1. I don't remember them winning, but I can't find a game result where Minnesota beat Detroit 4-1 during that season (or the season after/before it).

My dad took me and my brother to exactly one hockey game when we were little. We grew up in Pittsburgh but my dad was all about the Steelers (1st) and the Pirates (2nd) ... and that was enough for him.

One day he took us to the Civic Arena (the old Igloo) to see the Pens face the Blackhawks. Pretty sure the Pens won 5-3. Can't even remember what year it was. Either late 70s or early 80s.

Pretty much ignored hockey until the early 90s when I watched some on TV, then moved to Carolina in the mid 90s and the team followed in 1997. That's when I really became a hockey fan.

cube444

Remember I told you guys the Sens have a gritty team, are well coached and that they'd stick around with all the injuries?

How long before Torts gets fired and Ruff takes over?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
From today's game, Halak making the save while lying on his back :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLtquPNdsyA

Also, Datsyuk's gotta Datsyuk:

VFU9rpk.gif

Tabris

So we should find out re-alignment plans within the upcoming week?

EDIT - Oh, and I really appreciate all of the nice comments you've been making to me lately wsox!

Remember I told you guys the Sens have a gritty team, are well coached and that they'd stick around with all the injuries?

/depth

We're icing most of our prospect pool and pulled off 4 straight wins. I will enjoy it while I can.

Zack Smith can only scare little kids.

/salt

Anyways, tough loss for the Leafs. Was at the fan appreciation thing.

Don't think he's trying to scare him, just trying to goad him into taking a penalty.

Solo

Was out getting CakeBoss'd with some friends last night, so pardon my lateness.....

GALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! The kid is the real fucking deal. My god, that touch pass on the Eller goal :eek:

janetj-lapdancevakcr.gif

THE GREAT DANE!

janetj-lapdancevakcr.gif

Still 1st in the East

UNF UNF UNF UNF

Montresor

When the Sens scored the game-winner the CBC cameras showed the reaction on the Leafs bench. That fire and disappointment. <3 My heart melted when I saw Komarov's reaction. He's one of my favourite Leafs this year. I'm changing my Schenn jersey to Komarov, end of story.

I'm very disappointed in the loss last night, but I'm not shocked. The Sens are playing incredible hockey without their stars. They're a very well coached team.

How do I view the condensed games on Gamecenter on the website? I think its pretty straight forward on the Xbox app but I don't see the option on the site

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes. Expansion to Seattle and Toronto 2 around 2015-16.

Once Detroit goes east, they're not going back. League insiders have said this was a promise made to Detroit for years. Columbus will be the ones that move. Besides, that new division with 4 of the Original Six would be fantastic.

I think Freyjadour's map is actually pretty good and will most likely be what happens.

First NHL game? How about my ONLY NHL game: Senators and Lightning back in 2004 or 2005. Ottawa won 3-0. I bought tickets because I was in Tampa Bay and they were $7 a piece.

My brother bought me Red Wings/Predators tickets for Christmas one year. The problem was that I was getting married soon after and would be gone on my honeymoon. I'm fairly certain he did it on purpose so he could have the tickets.

Marvie_3

Banned
Once Detroit goes east, they're not going back. League insiders have said this was a promise made to Detroit for years. Columbus will be the ones that move. Besides, that new division with 4 of the Original Six would be fantastic.

I think Freyjadour's map is actually pretty good and will most likely be what happens.
If the league breaks their "promise" what are the Wings going to do? Cry?

I highly doubt Tampa and Florida are going to want to give up the potential games with Toronto, Boston, Montreal, etc. to go into a division where the only "big" team is Chicago. Having Detroit come to town multiple times is a big draw for some teams and this league is all about money. Nashville and Dallas aren't going to like it either.

I understand you guys are afraid of Chicago and want to run away but I'll be happy when your cowardly plan backfires when the new Dead Wings era begins.

First NHL game? How about my ONLY NHL game: Senators and Lightning back in 2004 or 2005. Ottawa won 3-0. I bought tickets because I was in Tampa Bay and they were $7 a piece.

My brother bought me Red Wings/Predators tickets for Christmas one year. The problem was that I was getting married soon after and would be gone on my honeymoon. I'm fairly certain he did it on purpose so he could have the tickets.

Your brother is hilarious. :lol

Erdrick

Hmm... First NHL game that I ever went to was back in January 1988, when I was 10 years old. Jets Vs. Red Wings. I think the Jets lost and I seem to remember Adam Oates and Steve Yzerman were on the Wings roster, while we had like... the dude who is coaching the Sens right now and Carlyle. Pokey Reddick and Daniel Berthaume were our goalies back then too.

Thomas Steen, Dale Hawerchuk, Doug Smail... I still had the program from that game up till a few years ago, autographed and all. I wonder where it is now...

That game is the main reason why I am also a Wings and Yzerman fan. It had quite the impact on my hockey tastes and I also think that the Red Wings jersey is the classiest and best looking one in the entire league. In the years when we had no team here, I basically followed the Wings until we had a team back. I still like them and keep tabs on them, but I have to return my loyalty to the home team, no question. Thankfully (and sadly in many cases) The Jets and Wings wont play each other much at all, so there is no conflict of interest. (Also that 7-1 smashing that the Wings game us last year in the lone match up was horrific to watch...)

Now if this current Jets team could get their act together and smarten up in the stupid penalties department... That'd be great. First meeting this year with the Devils. Just watch: Ponikarovski will get a hat trick or something. haha

ZeroGravity

There's also a report the NHL is considering up to three outdoor games next year. In addition to Toronto/Detroit, they're also looking at games in Yankee Stadium and Dodger Stadium.
Scratch that, make it four possible outdoor games for next season. NHL also considering a Heritage Classic in either Edmonton or Vancouver.

Quick

Banned
Scratch that, make it four possible outdoor games for next season. NHL also considering a Heritage Classic in either Edmonton or Vancouver.

NHL compensating for missing out this season? lol.

I can understand having one out west or in Canada in addition to the Winter Classic, but having two "Classics" in the east is definitely overkill.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
First NHL game was post good oilers era. I was at a Jets Oil game and saw one of Selanne's last minute magical goals.

Such a great player....so where is Tkachuk?

CCF23

Not the first game I went to, but the first game I remember going to was when my Dad took me to the 96 playoffs. We played the Avs, and I saw our only home win that series. Got to sit in club seats and got hit in the ankle with a puck. Still have the puck, it's on the table beside me.

Top Bottom