• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

Cake Boss

Banned
The Isles keep giving out 2nd rounders for players that arent playing in the league.

The condition has to be him playing a certain amount of games or something.

Socreges

Banned
My point is it's a reach to expect them to be even "half as convincing" as the past two seasons when they're missing arguably their most important forward, and another second line forward on top of that.

"fine" is good. We could easily be going under without Kesler and Booth, but we're not only staying afloat, but keeping touch with the top teams in the conference.
I think you've lost track of how the conversation started. We have never disagreed that the team is doing well considering they're missing Kesler and Booth (that's what you were replying to, after all). That is a background assumption that doesn't need to be addressed. The only disagreement is that you believe that 5-2-2 does reflect how well they've played, while I think that if they keep playing at this quality that they could easily start losing those points instead of winning them.

Their GFPG, GAPG, PP% and PK% tells part of the story. Their record and place in the standings betrays how mediocre they've actually been.

MacAttack

Thomas was never going to play for the Bruins again anyway. I'm glad they could get something for his expiring contract and open up some cap space.

Socreges

Banned
Fucking lol at this trade

What is even the point
To reach the cap floor.

It doesn't seem so bizarre to me. If he doesn't play a single game, then they lose nothing. They have to pay him, but they had to pay someone anyhow. And if he does play the minimum games next season, then they've potentially snagged an elite goaltender (albeit probably for just one season).

JABEE

That is an incredible return for the Bruins even if it's a 2014 2nd.

Moved the cap space, got a 2nd in 2013 or 2014 from a perennial lottery team, and moved on from the Thomas circus.

Great move.

I think you've lost track of how the conversation started. We have never disagreed that the team is doing well considering they're missing Kesler and Booth (that's what you were replying to, after all). That is a background assumption that doesn't need to be addressed. The only disagreement is that you believe that 5-2-2 does reflect how well they've played, while I think that if they keep playing at this quality that they could easily start losing those points instead of winning them.

Their GFPG, GAPG, PP% and PK% tells part of the story. Their record and place in the standings betrays how mediocre they've actually been.

Goaltending and post-regulations wins have padded their stats. Frankly the Canucks are lucky to be where they are.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Islanders should have just taken Kaberle off our hands for a 5th rounder

I'm assuming Thomas didn't have a NTC or it ran out?

JABEE

To reach the cap floor.

It doesn't seem so bizarre to me. If he doesn't play a single game, then they lose nothing. They have to pay him, but they had to pay someone anyhow. And if he does play the minimum games next season, then they've potentially snagged an elite goaltender (albeit probably for just one season).
I don't believe they have to pay him. He just counts against their cap. They can just suspend him without pay for the rest of the season.

Socreges

Banned
That is an incredible return for the Bruins even if it's a 2014 2nd.

Moved the cap space, got a 2nd in 2013 or 2014 from a perennial lottery team, and moved on from the Thomas circus.

Great move.
Pick is conditional on him playing a minimum games.

Either way it's a good move. I'm sure they would've liked to get more out of an asset like Thomas, but Thomas basically handcuffed them.

I don't believe they have to pay him. He just counts against their cap. They can just suspend him without pay for the rest of the season.
That's what I thought initially, but someone above said they'd have to pay him.

So really the trade works well for both teams.

Sanjuro

I don't think the Bruins would take him back at this point. Isn't this the last season his contract too?

I don't see why they wouldn't. If you could take him off the books and have him ready to go for the following season, why not keep one of the best goaltenders in hockey?

For all we knew, there could have been no season. You'd have a mentally refreshed Thomas ready to go when hockey picked back up.

Islanders should have just taken Kaberle off our hands for a 5th rounder

I'm assuming Thomas didn't have a NTC or it ran out?

I'm fairly certain it ran out, but not a hundred percent sure.

Cake Boss

Banned
Win win for both teams.

The Isles just need him to reach cap floor
And the Buins get some cap relief.

I dont think the 2nd rounder is going anywhere.

JABEE

Pick is conditional on him playing a minimum games.

Either way it's a good move. I'm sure they would've liked to get more out of an asset like Thomas, but Thomas basically handcuffed them.

That's what I thought initially, but someone above said they'd have to pay him.

So really the trade works well for both teams.
It also appears to be a '14 or '15 2nd Rd Pick. Still good.

Socreges

Banned
I don't see why they wouldn't. If you could take him off the books and have him ready to go for the following season, why not keep one of the best goaltenders in hockey?

For all we knew, there could have been no season. You'd have a mentally refreshed Thomas ready to go when hockey picked back up.
Not the word I would have chosen.

JABEE

In the end the Islanders get Tim Thomas's cap hit, but don't have to pay him.

The Bruins free up a ton of cap space and get a conditional 2nd if Thomas plays.

Sanjuro

Handcuffed because they are already paying Rask starter money.

Rather have them both then not. It's their own fault for making silly contracts. Again, don't get the cap. It seems detrimental to the game. It's not NBA corrupt yet, but it's still lousy.

So, the Bruins probably won't get anything most likely.

Why wouldn't they? I mean, who knows what happens, but if he reports next season then it's done. Even if they don't get anything, who cares?

It's still crazy that this trade is legal in a league that cared about cap circumvention this off season.

Yeah the NHL should block this. Isles should resign some of their own guys, or trade for someone that could actually help the team. This is a garbage move.

JABEE

The Islanders can toll his contract and continually avoid paying his contract but keep his cap hit to stay above the cap floor.

Hahahaha

Top Bottom