• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2013 |OT| A Black History Month "Miracle in the Making"

A fan of the Kings and Trent Reznor. <3 I think I feel a bromance brewing...

Good.

Heretic and I seem like the only Jay And Silent Bob Heterosexual Life Partners For Lyfe in here and it's making me feel too comfortable.

We need brivals (bro rivals).

Also:

P9glJQD.jpg

Heretic

Fuck that ROW shit. Better goal differential motherfuckers.

That ass kicking we let the canucks give us hurt us in goal differential,

19 & 21, who gives a shit about using "we" and "us". Use it till the cows come home... and no, Peggers, I don't mean byfluglien.

Some line changes in the Cats morning skate:

Flash-Weiss-Mueller
Huberdeau-Shore-Versteeg
Kopecky-Goc-Skille
Mattias-Smithson-Parros

Campbell-Gudbranson
Kulikov-Weaver
Strachan-Kuba

Kovalev not at skate, Ellerby expected to sit, Gudbranson set to make his season debut.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I am really surprised he wasnt fired years ago.

Our owner doesn't have any balls and is satisfied with a GM who does nothing to address roster holes, overvalueshis players and as a result doesn't ever attempt to make any daring trades. He also has a thing for hiring rookie NHL coaches.

Fei

Our owner doesn't have any balls and is satisfied with a GM who does nothing to address roster holes, overvalueshis players and as a result doesn't ever attempt to make any daring trades.

*bro hug*

Just saw Darcy Regier got a 5 year contract extension. 20 years of Regier/Ruff confirmed.

calder

The more I look at Ferraro's picks for Team Canada in Sochi, the more I like it. And I liked it a lot last night...

Forwards

Eric Staal - LW (Age: 29)
Breakdown: With Canada's depth down the middle, a skilled player like Staal may be asked to move to the wing.
Sidney Crosby - C (Age: 26)
Breakdown: One of the leaders of Team Canada and the man who scored the golden goal for Canada in Vancouver.
Corey Perry - RW (Age: 28)
Breakdown: Former Rocket Richard Trophy winner, who always seems to find the back of the net.

Rick Nash - LW (Age: 29)
Breakdown: While known as a goal scorer, Nash showed his solid two-way play during the Vancouver Games.
Claude Giroux - C (Age: 26)
Breakdown: The 25-year-old has increased his point totals in each of the last four full seasons.
Steven Stamkos - RW (Age: 24)
Breakdown: Stamkos has developed into one of the most dangerous scorers in hockey.

John Tavares - LW (Age: 23)
Breakdown: The 22-year-old is rapidly becoming one of the best forwards in the game.
Jonathan Toews - C (Age: 25)
Breakdown: Toews is in line to take over from Jarome Iginla as the heart and soul of the Canadian squad.
Tyler Seguin - RW (Age: 22)
Breakdown: Already impact player on a good Bruins team, and he's still improving.

Mike Richards - LW (Age: 29)
Breakdown: A solid two-way player who knows how to win when it matters most.
Jordan Staal - C (Age: 25)
Breakdown: The big 24-year-old can get it done on both sides of the ice.
Jordan Eberle - RW (Age: 23)
Breakdown: No one can forget what Eberle did for Canada at the World Junior Hockey Championships.

Patrick Sharp - F (Age: 32)
Breakdown: A great depth choice as 13th man as Sharp can step up an play either an offensive or defensive role.

Jamie Benn - F (Age: 24)
Breakdown: Quickly becoming a premier power forward, Benn presents a size injection up front.

Defence

Duncan Keith - D (Age: 30)
Breakdown: A Norris Trophy,a Gold medal and a Stanley Cup. The 29-year-old can do it all.
Drew Doughty - D (Age: 24)
Breakdown: Despite his age, this would be Doughty's second stint with the Olympic Team.

Kris Letang - D (Age: 26)
Breakdown: Letang has come into his own for the Penguins, becoming a major offensive threat.
Shea Weber - D (Age: 28)
Breakdown: Another member of Team Canada's gold medal group, and now one of the best defenders in the NHL.

Dan Girardi - D (Age: 29)
Breakdown: A steady and reliable player who is comfortable in both the attacking and defensive zone.
Alex Pietrangelo - D (Age: 24)
Breakdown: Pietrangelo has shown that he can produce points along with being a solid defender.

Marc Staal - D (Age: 27)
Breakdown: Staal gives Canada some extra defence first thinking on the blueline.
Braydon Coburn - D (Age: 28)
Breakdown: With Chris Pronger out, Coburn has emerged as a two-way catalyst on the point in Philly.

Goaltenders

Carey Price - G (Age: 26)
Breakdown: Price is blossoming into one of the NHL's elite goaltenders.

Cam Ward - G (Age: 29)
Breakdown: The 28-year-old has eight straight seasons of with a sub 3.00 GAA.

M-A Fleury - G (Age: 29)
Breakdown: Has a ton of experience in big games, a Stanley Cup ring and a gold medal from Vancouver.

Well, except for goalie actually. I love Price, but the other two? As a charter member of the "MAF isn't actually that good" club I don't trust either of them. God help me I'd rather have Luongo as a backup.

The more I look at Ferraro's picks for Team Canada in Sochi, the more I like it. And I liked it a lot last night...

Well, except for goalie actually. I love Price, but the other two? As a charter member of the "MAF isn't actually that good" club I don't trust either of them. God help me I'd rather have Luongo as a backup.

Coburn? I dunno bout that.... I mean you guys can have him... I always cheer for the team with the most Flyers anyway so I don't really care, but there has to be someone better out there, right?

EDIT: O and LOLZ at MAF.

Cake Boss

Banned
Fleury and Ward as our goalies? Fuck off.

Jordan Stall? lol no
Coburn? No
Dman Stall? No

Where is Giggles in that lineup. Only 4th in scoring last season and only over 600points in 600 games.

And no Iggy, Bergeron and Getzlaf?

That is an embarrassment of riches for forwards (can also consider Spezza, Bergeron, RNH, Hall, Neal, Getzlaf, Thornton, Marleau, St. Louis).

Defence is a bit more iffy, but other options include Subban, Green, Boyle, Campbell, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester, or Hamhuis.

Goalies should be Price, Luongo, and Brodeur. MAF got a gold medal by wearing a suit in the press box.

Quick

Banned
I'm absolutely not sold on Ward and Fleury, especially Fleury. Price feels like a lock at either backup or third string (could change over the course of the year). I feel like the starting job goes to Luongo, since he took over the job from Brodeur.

You can honestly grab any combination of top Canadian players from the NHL and you'd still have a medal contender. I'd hate to be the one to eventually pick out the roster, since you'd still be leaving out top level talent.

calder

Coburn and Marc Staal are the 7th and 8th D, so keep in mind one or both would be in the press box or taxi squad. And I bet if PK has even a decent year after the contract dispute he'll factor in and could easily slide into the 3rd pairing unless they decide the 3rd pair has to be purely stay-at-home bruisers.

Marty is just too old to consider next year. But wow Canada just does not have the depth of elite goalies like we used to.

I always cheer for the team with the most Flyers anyway so I don't really care,
Don't be one of those weirdo "oh I love Crosby so much I can't cheer against him even if he's playing the US" hockey fans like Buccigross. Cheer for your country like everyone else. :|

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Coburn and Marc Staal are the 7th and 8th D, so keep in mind one or both would be in the press box or taxi squad. And I bet if PK has even a decent year after the contract dispute he'll factor in and could easily slide into the 3rd pairing unless they decide the 3rd pair has to be purely stay-at-home bruisers.

Marty is just too old to consider next year. But wow Canada just does not have the depth of elite goalies like we used to.

Don't be one of those weirdo "oh I love Crosby so much I can't cheer against him even if he's playing the US" hockey fans like Buccigross. Cheer for your country like everyone else. :|

Haven't had a standout goalkeeper at the world juniors since Price, so it's not going to change much at the NHL level for a while.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Looking forward to the Wings game tonight.

Guess I haven't had enough disappointment recently.

So I'll miss the first two periods of the Hawks game. If someone can record and put a video on youtube for me if someone takes a run at/fights Torres or buries his face in the ice, that would be much appreciated.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
James Reimer to start tonight in his home province.

I'm curious who the Winnipeg fans will boo tonight. They've usually gone with Kessel but with him not scoring a goal yet it may go to Phaneuf.

Quick

Banned
James Reimer to start tonight in his home province.

I'm curious who the Winnipeg fans will boo tonight. They've usually gone with Kessel but with him not scoring a goal yet it may go to Phaneuf.

Must be a huge decision for Winnipeg fans. Not like there's anything else to do there anyway.

calder

In a perfect world, the Jets fans start a desperate "WHO'S WORTH BOOING" chant begging the Leafs to prove they have anyone at all worth jeering.

It's a pity I can't find Reimer's half time Bombers game interview on youtube. That goofy bugger was hilarious, and shockingly into the CFL.

Cake Boss

Banned
With Miller looking average these past few seasons I am not sure he even gets the backup role.

Its Quick as starter then everyone else fights out for the backup.

Lol at that Canadian team, It is ridiculous. Compare to Sweden and laugh. With Backström playing like he has been the latest years it feels like Z is the only Swede to fit in the top 10 Canadian centers or something. The amount of centers on that team is kind of funny :p

I would like to add Seabs, Bergeron and Iggy though.

Has nothing to do with individual players. Just when it comes to hockey I cheer for the Flyers. Rooting against them just seems wrong... If we traded G and kept Bryz (really hope Homer never reads that) I'd cheer for Russia ::shrug::

I like seeing players on my team succeed.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I would take the first trade offer I got for DD and Cole at the moment. Awful.
Won't get much for either of them, but it'll be interesting to see how Bergevin handles are center situation. Gally is the only one staying for sure then we have, Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais, White, Nokelainen, plus the kids in minors, Leblanc, Bournival, Holland....either DD moves to wing or 2 of him Eller, and Plekanec have to go.

I'm absolutely not sold on Ward and Fleury, especially Fleury. Price feels like a lock at either backup or third string (could change over the course of the year). I feel like the starting job goes to Luongo, since he took over the job from Brodeur.
Ferraro said last night he expects Price to be the #1 and I would be pretty shocked if he isn't, although Lu should backup over Ward and MAF.

It depends on how PK plays this next year, if he can elevate his game I could see him making the 6th or 7th / 8th D, especially seeing as he's a player that takes his game to the next level in high pressure situations.

Top Bottom