• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Never seen a full episode before but I'm gonna have to watch this one

edit: are they doing one for Team USA too?
No idea. The show itself covers teams league wide, I'm assuming they focused on Team Canada for obvious reasons. The Olympic special is 2 hours long, so I'm guessing USA and other teams get some air time as well.

Tavares does not need surgery. 8-12 week rehab on torn mcl. #Isles
Is TeethMummy still alive? Good news for the Isles.

The Russian goalie was suddenly a Russian comedian, cracking an uncomfortable silence with a self-deprecating crack.

"Sorry I didn't bring my gold medal with me," Semyon Varlamov told a gaggle of Denver reporters Monday.

Yaaay we may not suck! Although I don't really expect Duchene to come back and suddenly remember how to score goals again.

Merguson

Banned
I just remembered that this is the last off-season for teams to use whatever compliance buyouts they have left.

Any candidates there?

There was a lot of talk about Brad Richards last season but it seemed the organization wanted to see what he could do under a new coach. Has that changed?

EDIT: Ville Leino looks like a prime candidate. Didn't buy him out before but this time surely? 3 more years at a $4.5 million cap hit.

Samyy

I just remembered that this is the last off-season for teams to use whatever compliance buyouts they have left.

Any candidates there?

There was a lot of talk about Brad Richards last season but it seemed the organization wanted to see what he could do under a new coach. Has that changed?

EDIT: Ville Leino looks like a prime candidate. Didn't buy him out before but this time surely? 3 more years at a $4.5 million cap hit.

It'll be interesting to see if richer teams with compliance buyouts available use them as trade incentives.
Ie. take bad contracts to buyout along with a good player for cheap

Unless that is specifically not allowed?

Merguson

Banned
It'll be interesting to see if richer teams with compliance buyouts available use them as trade incentives.
Ie. take bad contracts to buyout along with a good player for

Unless that is specifically not allowed?

I suppose it could happen but I don't think it will.

Tampa Bay and Toronto were working on a deal regarding buying out Lecavalier, and having Lecavalier re-sign with Tampa Bay on a cheaper deal. The NHL closed that loophole.

The trade could still be done but Tampa Bay elected to buy out Lecavalier instead. I don't think those type of deals are really going to happen.

EDIT: Take the whole thing with a grain of salt. I think it was originally from the NY Post and Larry Brooks. Maybe there was no deal but I can't imagine the NHL would be pleased with those type of deals.

Looking back through Edmonton's draft picks, sure they picked the best player available, but they didn't do anything with it. No trading of the pick or player to build a better team. Now they're stuck with a bunch of $6M forwards who with the exception of Hall are one-dimensional.

Scrivens is a good start though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Any candidates there?

There's almost no good way to deal with Brad Richards' contract, and that might be why Sather might actually hold onto him at this point. Observe. (This is all according to Capgeek, btw.)

Scenario 1)
Brad Richards actually plays out his entire contract through 2020 at age 40. His cap hit would be $6.67m per year.

Scenario 2)
Buyout Brad Richards in June 2014. This would have some strange consequences. In the immediate short term, the Rangers would actually gain a cap credit of $333,333 for each of the next two seasons, effectively giving them a higher salary cap than most of the rest of the league. Then the next season the buyout cap hit would go to over $1m, but then the next three seasons get really crazy, as the buyout cap hit would suddenly become $7,166,667 per season for 2017-2020. Then the buyout cap hit would revert to $1.5m for 2020-2026.

Scenario 3)
Brad Richards retires early. Let's say he retires in the offseason of 2017, when he's 37 years old. This would leave a cap recapture penalty of $5,666,667 for each of the last three seasons on his contract.

Basically no matter how you slice it, 2017-2020 or so really fucking sucks.

Socreges

Banned
There's almost no good way to deal with Brad Richards' contract, and that might be why Sather might actually hold onto him at this point. Observe. (This is all according to Capgeek, btw.)

Scenario 1)
Brad Richards actually plays out his entire contract through 2020 at age 40. His cap hit would be $6.67m per year.

Scenario 2)
Buyout Brad Richards in June 2014. This would have some strange consequences. In the immediate short term, the Rangers would actually gain a cap credit of $333,333 for each of the next two seasons, effectively giving them a higher salary cap than most of the rest of the league. Then the next season the buyout cap hit would go to over $1m, but then the next three seasons get really crazy, as the buyout cap hit would suddenly become $7,166,667 per season for 2017-2020. Then the buyout cap hit would revert to $1.5m for 2020-2026.

Scenario 3)
Brad Richards retires early. Let's say he retires in the offseason of 2017, when he's 37 years old. This would leave a cap recapture penalty of $5,666,667 for each of the last three seasons on his contract.

Basically no matter how you slice it, 2017-2020 or so really fucking sucks.
I thought compliance buyouts didn't affect the cap?

Edit:

Buyout Rules

Under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, each team is permitted two compliance buyouts before July 1, 2014. The buyouts do not count towards a team's salary cap obligations.

Not included in the above list are buyouts made during the 2012-13 season by the Montreal Canadiens and the New York Rangers on Scott Gomez and Wade Redden respectively.

If a player is older than 26 at the time of the buyout, they get two-thirds of the money remaining on their contract.

Players who are younger than 26 at the time of the buyout will get one-third of the money remaining on their contact.

The team buying out players must pay out the money owed over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I thought compliance buyouts didn't affect the cap?

Edit:

Buyout Rules

Under the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, each team is permitted two compliance buyouts before July 1, 2014. The buyouts do not count towards a team's salary cap obligations.

Not included in the above list are buyouts made during the 2012-13 season by the Montreal Canadiens and the New York Rangers on Scott Gomez and Wade Redden respectively.

If a player is older than 26 at the time of the buyout, they get two-thirds of the money remaining on their contract.

Players who are younger than 26 at the time of the buyout will get one-third of the money remaining on their contact.

The team buying out players must pay out the money owed over a period of twice the remaining length of the contract.
I thought the same, but Capgeek seemed to indicate differently.

FAKE EDIT: Oh, no, wait, I understand now. Those are what the cap hits would be IF the window of opportunity to go through with the buyout without cap consequences didn't exist, as you can technically buy out players any time you want. It's only that amnesty period in June 2014 that you're allowed to do it without consequence.

In that case, then buying him out is obviously by far the sanest thing to do. :D

Socreges

Banned
I thought the same, but Capgeek seemed to indicate differently.

FAKE EDIT: Oh, no, wait, I understand now. Those are what the cap hits would be IF the window of opportunity to go through with the buyout without cap consequences didn't exist, as you can technically buy out players any time you want. It's only that amnesty period in June 2014 that you're allowed to do it without consequence.

In that case, then buying him out is obviously by far the sanest thing to do. :D
Yeah. Remember, we're talking about compliance buyouts (must be done at certain times and each team only gets 2) which are very different from regular buyouts.

The Canucks used one on Ballard. Their last will be on Booth. Which I think is silly since he's got just one year left. In a year or two they'll wish they'd used it on Burrows, I'm sure.

Holiday

Banned
Halak hasn't been traded yet. Let the dream die, Armstrong.

I can't wait for STL to get creamed on this road trip, chloroformed by Vancouver, beaten like an underproducing hooker by Anaheim, and choloroformed again by the Desert Dogs.

Oh God that Zilla trailer. Hnnng.

Halak hasn't been traded yet. Let the dream die, Armstrong.

I can't wait for STL to get creamed on this road trip, chloroformed by Vancouver, beaten like an underproducing hooker by Anaheim, and choloroformed again by the Desert Dogs.

I think chances are we make a lowball offer for Miller at the deadline. I highly doubt if Buffalo has any other suitors.

Red_Man

Been known, but yes let the tank battle commence!!!

No, we need to win thank you very much.

1469.gif

Red_Man

Nah, our prospect pool is way to beastly for that to happen. Unlike certain teams, we can still be good and draft late and still end up with awesome players.
Right, I'm sure you guys will keep drafting Zetterburgs and Datsyuks for years to come!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Going from the Olympics back to watching the Canucks aim for a franchise record losing streak is gonna be soooooo much fun.

Top Bottom