• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fuck Therrien for not knowing how to coach and ruining the trade value of one of our more effective defenders and fuck Bergevin for going along with this shit.

#FireEveryone
Therrien definitely ruined his trade value, and Bergevin moved him at his lowest point, but I don't get why people are so upset about the return. Even if Bergevin traded him at his peak he wouldn't get much for him. Not many teams want a guy as small as Diaz as a 4th D-man. That being said the timing is still terrible, and Therrien still needs to be fired.

Callahan for Vanek, there you go solves the problem for both teams.

Isles just whitens out Vaneks name off the contract and pencil in Callahans name in and offers it to him, Vanek gets to play guitar with Henrik and retired tennis stars.

The captain of the Rangers signing with the Islanders.

Cake Boss pls

pringles

And Detroit still has 10 Olympians! Too bad it isn't helping the team right now. :/
It's going to be a great experience for Tatar, Jurco and Nyquist. Not really worried about the health of anyone but Datsyuk either. He still plans on playing 1 or 2 games before the break, but I'd be surprised if he does.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Therrien definitely ruined his trade value, and Bergevin moved him at his lowest point, but I don't get why people are so upset about the return. Even if Bergevin traded him at his peak he wouldn't get much for him. Not many teams want a guy as small as Diaz as a 4th D-man. That being said the timing is still terrible, and Therrien still needs to be fired.

Then why trade Diaz at all?! He is an effective player on our defence and Bergevin needs to sack up and waive Murray and Bouillon whether Therrien likes them or not. Those players are shit and they are dragging the whole defense corp down with them.

It's not really about the return for Diaz as much as it is about what it says about the thought processes of the management of this team. We have a good player that isn't being utilized properly by the coach so his trade value has tanked. Like you said even at his peak value Diaz isn't going to get us very much. The only reason to trade Diaz is if you have no intention of resigning him in the off season and considering the rest of the Montreal defence right now, I don't see a good reason to let him walk just because the coach is an idiot. You don't improve a team by letting good players go and signing worse ones.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=703510&navid=DL|NHL|home

SECOND STAR – PHIL KESSEL, RW, TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Kessel tied for the League scoring lead in January, recording 20 points (7-13--20) in 15 games, as the Maple Leafs (30-21-6) posted a 9-5-1 record and jumped to third place in the Atlantic Division. Kessel's efforts during a seven-game point streak from Jan. 10-21, during which he collected 6-8--14, helped the Maple Leafs post a six-game winning streak (Jan. 12-21), the club's longest since the 2005-06 season. Kessel, who will represent the United States at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games later this month, leads the Maple Leafs in scoring and is fourth in the League overall with 61 points (30-31--61) in 57 games. His 30 goals rank second to Washington’s Alex Ovechkin (39). Kessel tops the Maple Leafs in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals (tie-4) and shots (217).

ibeWqYYIh8cwi7.gif

Acid08

Banned
THIRD STAR – JOE PAVELSKI, C, SAN JOSE SHARKS

Pavelski scored a League-leading 12 goals in 15 games last month and added four assists as the Sharks (35-15-6) went 9-6-0 and strengthened their hold on second place in the Pacific Division. Pavelski recorded goals in eight contests, including the game-winning goal in each of three consecutive games. He notched his first NHL hat trick in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay Jan. 18, tallying a 'natural' hat trick with three scores in a 6:12 span late in the second period; scored twice in a 3-2 win over Calgary Jan. 20; and recorded the lone goal in a 1-0 win over Winnipeg on Jan. 23. Pavelski, who will represent the United States at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games later this month, is tied for third place among NHL goal-scorers with 29, just two shy of his single-season career high set in 2011-12. He ranks second on the Sharks in points with 29-25--54 in 56 games.

443085413_462572.gif

I really hate rodents, and am deathly afraid of rats.

I had a family of rats invade my car and make a nest under the hood just this past November. It was horrible, but thankfully my supplemental insurance covered the replacement parts and clean up.

I use glue traps because (1) they won't attract birds or larger animals and (2) they're extremely effective - both as an agent of revenge and as a pest control tool.

So I don't blame Vanek, or really anyone, for wanting to gtfo of Nassau.

kingslunk

I don't know about Vanek's motives, but as soon as I heard about the giant rats that infest Nassau I started wondering how anyone could possibly play, work or even walk through the door there. 50 mill over 7 years *might* be enough to make me change my mind, but not if a team playing in a rat-free arena offered like 40/6.

I really hate rodents, and am deathly afraid of rats.

They're moving to the Barclay's center next year right?

Red_Man

Then why trade Diaz at all?! He is an effective player on our defence and Bergevin needs to sack up and waive Murray and Bouillon whether Therrien likes them or not. Those players are shit and they are dragging the whole defense corp down with them.

It's not really about the return for Diaz as much as it is about what it says about the thought processes of the management of this team. We have a good player that isn't being utilized properly by the coach so his trade value has tanked. Like you said even at his peak value Diaz isn't going to get us very much. The only reason to trade Diaz is if you have no intention of resigning him in the off season and considering the rest of the Montreal defence right now, I don't see a good reason to let him walk just because the coach is an idiot. You don't improve a team by letting good players go and signing worse ones.
I agree with every you've said pretty much. Coaching and management completely misused him as an asset, and their treatment of Murray is beyond ridiculous. He should be waived and not playing, but it's obvious Therrien loves him. I just don't think it's the end of the world like a lot of Hab fans are pretending it is.

It's not really about the return for Diaz as much as it is about what it says about the thought processes of the management of this team.

I think it's pretty clear:

Diaz will be a UFA soon and was a useless cap hit. Rather than lose him for nothing (via free agency or waivers), Bergevin manages to get create cap space and get a controllable asset who also happens to be fairly decent and young bottom-line winger.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I agree with every you've said pretty much. Coaching and management completely misused him as an asset, and their treatment of Murray is beyond ridiculous. He should be waived and not playing, but it's obvious Therrien loves him. I just don't think it's the end of the world like a lot of Hab fans are pretending it is.

Nothing that Bergevin has done has been "end of the world", but there has been a clear pattern of shitty moves that doesn't appear to be getting any better and I'd rather it stop sooner than later. With moves like this, if the team keeps backsliding the way they are, I don't trust Bergevin to not eventually pull the trigger on a panic trade that really will hurt this team in the long run.

Diaz will be a UFA soon and was a useless cap hit. Rather than lose him for nothing (via free agency or waivers), Bergevin manages to get create cap space and get a controllable asset who also happens to be fairly decent and young bottom-line winger.

Diaz makes a grand total of 1.3 million. That's 200k LESS than what Murray and Bouillon make. We've cleared up 600k-ish in cap space, but there are much better ways that we could have done that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
And here all you Habs fans called him the saviour when he came. :(

He had to have done something right?

Personally, I thought he started off wrong by bringing Therrien back.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I SAW YOUR EDIT BONES! I SAW IT!

I was responding to your second point about Carlyle and I just want to say while I don't agree with how he handles the roster the majority of the time if you sit back and think about it he's pushed a lot of our players to a new level with his tough love.

He's the one who pretty much demanded if Kadri was here he has to play center and not the wing. Last season he used him well and he thrived and now he's trying to push him into being a bonafide top 6 player on this team.

He chirped JVR all the time to play more in front of the net despite JVR being against it.

He's got Kessel backchecking more than he ever did under Wilson.

Lupul doesn't want to play LW but he's been more productive on that side.

Red_Man

I think it's pretty clear:

Pretty much. Diaz won't be a top 4 guy on the Canucks or any other team looking for a cup run. They were never going to get more then a 3rd/4th line player or 5th round pick. Would I have preferred Diaz stay or Murray? Sure. But as long as Therrien is employed Murray is playing.
Nothing that Bergevin has done has been "end of the world", but there has been a clear pattern of shitty moves that doesn't appear to be getting any better and I'd rather it stop sooner than later. With moves like this, if the team keeps backsliding the way they are, I don't trust Bergevin to not eventually pull the trigger on a panic trade that really will hurt this team in the long run.
I'm not happy with any moves he's made since the Cole / Ryder trade, but he hasn't given up any prospects or picks either. He's repeatedly said he refuses to give up future assets and he wants to build a team through the draft. He's doing that right now, even if the trades and signings he's done have been shit. Habs aren't a contender and won't be for another 2 years or so. By then the team will be made up of mostly guys from the inside and the Brieres, Murrays, and Bouillions will be gone.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not happy with any moves he's made since the Cole / Ryder trade, but he hasn't given up any prospects or picks either. He's repeatedly said he refuses to give up future assets and he wants to build a team through the draft. He's doing that right now, even if the trades and signings he's done have been shit. Habs aren't a contender and won't be for another 2 years or so. By then the team will be made up of mostly guys from the inside and the Brieres, Murrays, and Bouillions will be gone.

Yeah, he hasn't traded away picks or prospects, but he also hasn't done anything to make the team any better than it was when he took over. I prefer my GMs to be able to outperform a rock.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I just pray Nonis never has the balls to trade Clarkson, Bergevin will be first in line.

I don't quite get why he repeatedly says the Habs need size, then re-signed useless Bouillon, and signs Briere, who was always fourth on our centre depth chart.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I just pray Nonis never has the balls to trade Clarkson, Bergevin will be first in line.

I don't quite get why he repeatedly says the Habs need size, then re-signed useless Bouillon, and signs Briere, who was always fourth on our centre depth chart.
Could use another grabo,.....

calder

I had a family of rats invade my car and make a nest under the hood just this past November. It was horrible, but thankfully my supplemental insurance covered the replacement parts and clean up.

I use glue traps because (1) they won't attract birds or larger animals and (2) they're extremely effective - both as an agent of revenge and as a pest control tool.

So I don't blame Vanek, or really anyone, for wanting to gtfo of Nassau.

I've never been so disgusted and upset by an NHL-GAF post before, except for that time Smelly was racist to Oprah.

My brain refuses to even try to parse that out. There was rats, and a car, and then
Homers_Brain.gif
it's gone.

calder

Lol every time I see a rumour site like this I wonder why GAF doesn't have it's own wishful thinking/pull-out-of-ass rumour page.

I'll go first: rumour has it the Winnipeg Jets are about to pull the trigger and trade rock-solid stay at home defensive rock Mark "Shutdown" Stuart to the Canadiens for underachieving rover Lars Eller. Come on, Denmark? That can't work. Stuart is a good American beauty from like Rochester. In fact, sources say the Habs may need to throw a 2nd/3rd in to sweeten the deal once Cheveldayoff gets a peek at Eller's disappointing boxcar.

I've never been so disgusted and upset by an NHL-GAF post before, except for that time Smelly was racist to Oprah.

They ate through the seat-belts even.

Pooped in the air system.

I can't use rat poison because of my dog and kids. I used snap traps but then a bird triggered one and I felt like a monster.

Glue traps. They are cruel tho - especially when you happen upon the rat while it's still alive.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

I can't use rat poison because of my dog and kids. I used snap traps but then a bird triggered one and I felt like a monster.

Glue traps. They are cruel tho - especially when you happen upon the rat while it's still alive.
Dammit Jim! He's a doctor, not a butcher!

calder

I would literally have the car towed to an empty field and burned. Would never set foot it in again, hell I probably wouldn't come with 20 feet of it again, except to toss the burning torch into the window onto the gas soaked rear seat in what would definitely be the most cathartic moment of my life.

When I lived in Miami we had rats that nested in the tops of the palm trees. Huge demon rats, than would descend into the backyard to look for food. I remember them keeping me up night because they would scurry on the rocks in the flower beds and through the shrubs. We got glue traps but the bastards were so big they would initially knock the the traps of the carpet tape and get enough dirt and rocks in the traps to escape or eat through the bottom. We had to drill them into pieces of 2 x 4s and moor them to the concrete walls. Eventually through the traps and shooting some with BBs afterwards, they were killed. The biggest was a grey rat somewhere near a foot long from snout to tail that weighed a few pounds. We were held hostage from the backyard for an entire summer.

Top Bottom