• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Another pretty sad year for scoring. Top scorer (Kane) in the NHL is on pace for only 91 points and only 2 players are on pace for 50 goals.

Some interesting names near the top, though. Would anyone have predicted Voracek, Seguin, Tarasenko, or Johnson in the top 10?

But yeah, no one's really running away with the scoring title this year. Even last year Crosby was the only one to hit 100 points.

Insider article on most common no-trade destinations:

It was a conversation that took place before GM Kevin Cheveldayoff pulled off his monster Evander Kane trade. The debate was whether criticism of Cheveldayoff’s lack of notable NHL trades was warranted.

Of course, it wasn’t. Other general managers hadn’t made any trades of note during the time of Cheveldayoff’s tenure as GM, but that wasn’t the defense this Cheveldayoff supporter took.

Instead, he pointed out something hockey fans might not realize: Winnipeg may be the most commonly listed team on a player’s no-trade clause.

There are three ways to build a team: draft and develop, which is the Jets mode of preference, plus free agency and trades.

But if players don’t want to be traded to Winnipeg, they certainly aren’t picking the Jets as a free-agent destination. It can limit the options of a team trying to improve its roster.

Turns out, this isn’t just a Winnipeg problem.

To discover if this Jets defender was correct, 10 agents were asked to send the three most commonly listed teams when players with no-trade clauses submit their list of banned destinations.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=4972

Somebody pay up D:

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I should give everyone a heads up. I won't really be here next week because I have Jaw/wisdom Teeth surgery. It's gonna suck. :/

I don't remember much discomfort when I had mine taken out, jaw surgery is a different story though, hope all goes well.

Price has faced about 100 more shots, and Rinne has 2 more wins, but otherwise pretty much identical.

Price faces much tougher quality shots too.

Got an iPad Air 2 through work. My first Apple product ever.

What do I do with it?

I've got an OPO and a small laptop so it seems kinda...pointless for every day use. Beautiful screen, though.

I use mine for reading blogs away from the computer. Books too, and some apps play really nicely with Chromecast.

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Buffalo, Ottawa and Toronto

In general players hate Canadian teams due to the media frenzy.

Are those the teams listed in the article?

I forgot about Buffalo.

Toronto being named is silly. Players not named Kessel are treated like gods by the media and fans.

Samyy

Are those the teams listed in the article?

I forgot about Buffalo.

Toronto being named is silly. Players not named Kessel are treated like gods by the media and fans.

Well the players that generally get NMCs are skilled players and Toronto hates those

Unless they are also Canadian and can fight

Guys like Polak are revered in Toronto sure but no one's giving him a NMC except maybe Nonis :p

fallout

I use mine for reading blogs away from the computer. Books too, and some apps play really nicely with Chromecast.
I love my Chromecast. I use it all the time for Netflix, Youtube, Google Music, etc. We've had friends over and I'll just throw on a fitting playlist. The convenience of it is really incredible. I've even used it to show people pictures and whatnot on the spot.

calder

Insider article on most common no-trade destinations:

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/post?id=4972

Somebody pay up D:

It was a conversation that took place before GM Kevin Cheveldayoff pulled off his monster Evander Kane trade. The debate was whether criticism of Cheveldayoff’s lack of notable NHL trades was warranted.

Of course, it wasn’t. Other general managers hadn’t made any trades of note during the time of Cheveldayoff’s tenure as GM, but that wasn’t the defense this Cheveldayoff supporter took.

Instead, he pointed out something hockey fans might not realize: Winnipeg may be the most commonly listed team on a player’s no-trade clause.

There are three ways to build a team: draft and develop, which is the Jets mode of preference, plus free agency and trades.

But if players don’t want to be traded to Winnipeg, they certainly aren’t picking the Jets as a free-agent destination. It can limit the options of a team trying to improve its roster.

Turns out, this isn’t just a Winnipeg problem.

To discover if this Jets defender was correct, 10 agents were asked to send the three most commonly listed teams when players with no-trade clauses submit their list of banned destinations. Much like this year’s draft, the only debate was over the third team.

“I think Winnipeg is on all my guys’ lists,” said one agent. Every single one.

It’s a disadvantage historically bad teams have to overcome, but it’s possible, which provides hope for the surging Jets. For years, the Islanders were in contention for that top three, according to a number of agents polled, but the presence of John Tavares, along with the transformation under the leadership of GM Garth Snow, has changed that. There’s hope for the Jets, but there may not be for the first team on this list of most commonly listed no-trade options:

1. Edmonton Oilers (Five first-place votes)

For as much criticism as the Oilers have received for their execution of the tank and rebuild strategy, it’s the only way to build a team in Edmonton with high-end players. Otherwise, it’s almost impossible to attract players to this franchise. Free agency is cause of overpayment, and the Oilers were the No. 1 team mentioned by half the agents polled. They were on every single ballot.

The Oilers have three things working against them: climate, lack of success and being a Canadian team, which is one common characteristic on these lists. Given the choice, agents said, most players don’t necessarily want to play in Canada.

“I hate to say it, but it’s the Canadian teams,”
said one agent. “Vancouver would be the most desirable out of those teams. There’s Winnipeg and Edmonton, Toronto because of all the bad media and Montreal. Either you love it or hate it.”

“I can tell you, it’s pretty much automatic that Edmonton and Winnipeg are the first two names anyone comes up with,” said another agent. “Winnipeg is at least winning a little bit. Edmonton is a complete nightmare.”

2. Winnipeg Jets (Four first-place votes)

It’s no surprise that the Jets are on this list. The question is whether their success on the ice can remove them. Making the playoffs won’t change the scrutiny of playing in a Canadian city, nor will it make the weather any better.

“Winning does help,” said one agent. “If we had done these lists 10 years ago, Pittsburgh would have been on it.”

Another agent pointed to Detroit, a town not known for its great winter weather or vibrant nightlife but one that’s become a destination all the same.

“Why do people want to go to the Detroit Red Wings? They win,” said the agent. “They have a proud organization. Players want to play there because they have a chance to win. They’re proud to play there.”

Still, that Winnipeg weather.

“If you think it’s cold in Detroit, it’s like that for four months in Winnipeg,” said the agent. “If you have a family, you’re a shut-in. The kids can’t go outside and play. You go outside for 15 minutes and it’s frostbite.”

In retrospect, the long-term contracts that the Jets gave to their core of younger players was probably wise considering the challenge of attracting players to Winnipeg. If there are players willing to stick around, it makes sense to keep them.

“The guys who play there, they love it,” said another agent. “It’s just the idea of going there seems awful.”

3. Buffalo Sabres (One first-place vote)

The Sabres received a first-place vote and were mentioned on four of the 10 ballots. It’s understandable. GM Tim Murray is still in the process of stripping this franchise for parts before building it back up.

That’s a miserable process that veteran players would rather avoid.

“It’s a running joke with some of the guys when I get their list. ‘Let me predict, Winnipeg, Edmonton and Buffalo are the top three,’” said an agent.

Of the teams in the top three, the Sabres may have the best chance of a quick turnaround and joining teams like the Islanders who are disappearing from no-trade clauses.

It may come down to how the lottery ball bounces.

“If Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel are playing in Buffalo and they’re the players they look like they’re going to be, guys will want to play there,” said the agent. “Guys can live pretty well on an NHL salary in a city like Buffalo.”

4. Ottawa Senators and Toronto Maple Leafs (tied)

Smaller-market teams that can’t spend as much as their big-market counterparts are a tough sell. That hurts Ottawa. Factor in the Canadian media scrutiny and they get mentioned on a lot of lists.

The combination of losing and white-hot media glare keeps the Maple Leafs as a regular on no-trade lists.

“In that media market, there are too many people trying to cover the same thing and trying to find a different edge,” said an agent. “That’s a tough place to play.”

One agent said players are hesitant to go to Toronto but some don’t want to admit it.

“The younger guys won’t say it -- it’s Toronto, you grow up thinking it’s this awesome place for hockey,” said the agent.

Despite the negativity now, there’s hope for Toronto. If somehow Brendan Shanahan can turn that franchise into a winner, it will go from no-trade lists to a destination.

“If Toronto were to win, it would be like the New York Yankees,” said an agent. “It’s that good a potential market.”

Others receiving mention: New Jersey, Florida (“Guys don’t like going to a place where the building is empty and they can’t win”), Arizona (“Phoenix has been somewhat common, partially because of the instability of ownership the last few years”)

I'd be salty about this, but I have to admit my walk to work this morning at 7AM when it was -31 and windy was... brisk.

Socreges

Banned
You sit on the couch with it in your hands so you can watch hockey while still refreshing twitter/GAF/sportsclubstats/TSN every few seconds. Also, at night you can easily watch netflix and shit lying in bed for hours guaranteeing you never have a good nights sleep again.
I read my Kindle in bed with the backlight set very low. Hasn't disrupted my sleep, but I'd guess the iPad would...

netflix in bed
netflix while pooping
browsing instead of watching the game

oh and when they'll release iOs 9 you DON'T UPDATE YOUR IPAD. It'll turn your old ipad into a slow piece of trash that'll make you want the brand new shiny ipad air 3 or 4
Noted.

It baffles me that people would use their phones for that shit at home if they have a tablet. I never even look at my phone when I'm at home, the screen is just too small (even if I had a bigger phone).
OPO, tho....

You got the One Plus One too? We can be bros!

Bitch.
Woah! Amazing!

Cunt.

Hmm, which apps would you recommend? I've got Chromecast but haven't really delved in yet.

I love my Chromecast. I use it all the time for Netflix, Youtube, Google Music, etc. We've had friends over and I'll just throw on a fitting playlist. The convenience of it is really incredible. I've even used it to show people pictures and whatnot on the spot.
Yeah, I'm considering making the iPad a media centre of sorts. Could end up being pretty intuitive.

Wait... can I play some Steam games on an iPad? Or would I have to rebuy FTL etc through App Store?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Their stats are similar, but when you look at the quality of chances that Price faces versus Rinne it's quite drastic. A thing that hurts Price too, is that he's so technically sound that he's rarely out of position and therefore rarely needs to make ridiculous acrobatic saves like you see Quick always doing. His refund control right now is unreal, he either soaks the shot up or spits it out to one of his D men.

So the Sens Backup Goalies....

Andrew Hammond: .898 save percentage in the AHL.
Chris Driedger: .888 save percentage in the ECHL.

Yeah.

HOOO BOY. We're probably aren't gonna show up tonight.

The Sens will steal our Hubcaps tonight.

I just looked up the temps in Winnipeg..... christ. It's "holy shit is it fucking cold" weather here at 9 degrees (F) right now when the sun is up, but with windchills that make it feel -10 to -30. Winnipeg weather is no joke

imBask

Banned
I just looked up the temps in Winnipeg..... christ. It's "holy shit is it fucking cold" weather here at 9 degrees (F) right now when the sun is up, but with windchills that make it feel -10 to -30. Winnipeg weather is no joke

The most american post ever ;)

that and the boston thread form earlier with the 48h dibs on shoveled out parking spot, holy crap that was funny

Edler and Tanev didn't join the Canucks on their road trip. That'll be 5 games without their top pairing.

Bonino is in a boot but hopes to play during the trip.

MacMillan took Kassian's spot in practice with Matthias and Dorsett. Otherwise the lines are still the same (Sedins with Burrows, Vey-Vrbata-Higgins, Horvat-Kenins-Hansen).

Defence is terrifying:

Hamhuis-Weber
Stanton-Clendening
Biega-Sbisa

The Canucks do play Buffalo and New Jersey on this trip so they'll have a chance in those games. The Rangers, Islanders, and Bruins will be tough.

I assumed you were american because you're using Farenheit, and i'm saying -10 to -20 F (including windchills) is fairly common in Canada

Gotcha. If the bolded is true, then fuck that. Chicago winters are bad enough - things can always be worse - but it's fucking cold here.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Canucks are practicing at Skyrink over at Chelsea Pier today. (MSG's ice was melted for the Westminster dog show.)

screenshot2015-02-18aubui0.png

Yehehehe

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So the Sens Backup Goalies....

Andrew Hammond: .898 save percentage in the AHL.
Chris Driedger: .888 save percentage in the ECHL.

Yeah.

HOOO BOY. We're probably aren't gonna show up tonight.

The Sens will steal our Hubcaps tonight.

If the Habs don't beat the Sens tonight, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Please beat the Sens

zroid

Banned
Code:
Season	GP	W	L	OT	GAA	SV%	SO
Regular	12	5	4	2	2.67	.914	0

tokarski's stats look good to me

if you guys really think this is bad I think it's mostly just evidence of how much the Habs rely on price way too much

Calamari41

41 > 38
NHL.com is calling Avs/Kings a rivalry. Might be the stupidest shit I've read from them.

It's Rivalry Wednesday (tm), brah! The Avs and the Kings are among the six most heated matchups in the league! Topped perhaps only by the pure historic and storied hatred between the Ducks and the Lightning.

imBask

Banned
I just saw the top 5 most listed teams for no trade clauses, not surprised that Ottawa is on it. This team has been mediocre ever since Bryan Murray has taken over the GM job.

You guys are facing Andrew Hammond in nets, just think about that for a second.

I know I know, but seriously last game Tokarski played was terrible, he looked drunk... it was that bad

NHL.com is calling Avs/Kings a rivalry. Might be the stupidest shit I've read from them.
Hahahahahaha

Hahahahahaha.

thats not a Rivalry.
I just saw the top 5 most listed teams for no trade clauses, not surprised that Ottawa is on it. This team has been mediocre ever since Bryan Murray has taken over the GM job.

You guys are facing Andrew Hammond in nets, just think about that for a second.

I guess you're right.. Torkaski just makes me nervous when he's in net.

Rivalry Wednesday on a day where the Hawks and Red Wings are playing.

Hell, even Ottawa and Montreal are more of a rivalry.

Bolts gonna bolt us. We need D.

Socreges

Banned
Looks like the Canucks are practicing at Skyrink over at Chelsea Pier today. (MSG's ice was melted for the Westminster dog show.)

screenshot2015-02-18aubui0.png

Yehehehe
You're laughing at the Canucks and not the major league organization that can't provide decent practice facilities for their opponents?

calder

http://i.imgur.com/8GIqSGA.png

The fuck?[/QUOTE]

Lot of beauties in the thread? Your drunken browsing gets a little unusual? We're not here to judge.

Thanks to getting Elite: Dangerous a couple of weeks ago I see an Amazon ad for flight sticks in half the Adsense banners I see these days. Those Saiteks make my totally adequate Thrustmaster look like shit :(

Top Bottom