• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
As an alternate, I feel you should have discussed this with me first.

zmke72B.gif
Shadowkat, you missed a golden opportunity there...!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good quote from Dave Tippett that demonstrates why guys like Norrisson
and Gardiner
are so valuable

B-Vag5PCIAA6N8-.png:large

The NYR Fancy Stats are pretty interesting along these lines this year, too. Take a look at where our #5-7 Dmen (Boyle, J.Moore, Hunwick) are compared to our #1-4 D.

In particular, Dan Boyle, a guy who was brought in to be an offensively minded puck moving defenseman, vs. Dan Girardi, a guy who is considered a shot-blocking top line shutdown D.

nyrdfancystatsrxjgs.png

McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi suck. Obviously.

Samyy

McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi suck. Obviously.

You can't just look at that number without context, is it purely 5v5? Does Dan Boyle see lots of PP time? How is he being deployed 5v5? Is he getting primarily offensize zone starts (being shielded) and is Girardi primarily starting in the dzone? What kind of competition are the two seeing?

The thing I think a lot of people critical of the statistics don't understand is that, these stats can't just be like dropped to use and make absolute statements without being applied in the proper context. That is an inherent weakness to stats like Corsi, it is not WAR or something.

EgN89qT.jpg

For instance that Dan Boyle does see a much higher portion of offensize zone starts and faces easier competition when compared with Girardi, Staal, McDonagh, which likely results in him having that great SAT.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You can't just look at that number without context, is it purely 5v5? Does Dan Boyle see lots of PP time? How is he being deployed 5v5? Is he getting primarily offensize zone starts (being shielded) and is Girardi primarily starting in the dzone? What kind of competition are the two seeing?

The thing I think a lot of people critical of the statistics don't understand is that, these stats can't just be like dropped to use and make absolute statements without being applied in the proper context. That is an inherent weakness to stats like Corsi, it is not WAR or something.

Yeah, I know, it's just amusing to me. I believe NHL.com counts its Corsi as 5v5.

According to NHL's fancy stats, Dan Girardi gets the most offensive starts at 49%. Hunwick at 48%. Boyle, McDonagh, Staal at 47%. Kevin Klein at 45%. John Moore at 41%.

So Girardi starts in the offensive zone the most and has by far the worst 5v5 Corsi.

EDIT: Ha. Maybe the NHL's zone start stats are just fucked?

zroid

Banned
I think SAT for NHL.com is always 5v5 situations

WOI's chart gives a good sense of the competition they're facing

fIfiun2.png

Obviously Staal, Girardi, and Mac face the toughest comps by far, with far fewer Ozone starts

(sorry for the resolution)

SAP is the fucking worst.

I am stuck doing procurements on this shithole software.

Oh trust me, I was brought in to just transfer data from our old business management software to SAP and it was a pain, but I picked it up really quick and now I'm the go to guy for anything SAP related in the entire company so yeah... but it is a love hate relationship with the software, it just takes getting use to.

HOLY SHIT (From the Pics that make you laugh thread)

G3GB5OO.gif

Datsyuk looks... uh.... different.

That mock trade deadline thread over on reddit omg

"The Toronto Maple leafs trade Phil Kessel, Daniel Winnik, James Remier, Byron Forese and their 2015 3rd round pick to Washington for Mike Green, Jason Chimera, Andre Burakovsky, Justin Petersm Madison Bowey, Tom Wilson, Stanislav Faliev, their 2015 1st round pick, 2016 first round pick and their 2015 second round pick."

"The New Jersey Devils trade Dainus Zubrus , 2015 devils 3rd, 2016 devils 7th, and Alex Kerfoot to Toronto for Tyler Bozak"

"The Detroit Red Wings trade their 2015 first round pick and Kindl to Toronto for Tyler Biggs, Matt Finn, and Mike Green."

I am OK with that I think

Samyy

EDIT: Ha. Maybe the NHL's zone start stats are just fucked?

It might be...
war-on-ice.com has Dan Boyle at almost +20% offensize zone starts relative to the team, Girardi -8.7% relative.

Behind the Net has Dan Boyle at 65% offensize zone starts, Girardi at 45%

The next step would be to compare Girardi to peers on different teams facing similar deployment.

That mock trade deadline thread over on reddit omg

"The Toronto Maple leafs trade Phil Kessel, Daniel Winnik, James Remier, Byron Forese and their 2015 3rd round pick to Washington for Mike Green, Jason Chimera, Andre Burakovsky, Justin Petersm Madison Bowey, Tom Wilson, Stanislav Faliev, their 2015 1st round pick, 2016 first round pick and their 2015 second round pick."

3segJZy.gif

[–]PlacowdepussMTLOld7NHL 9 points 3 hours ago
Solid trade for you guys, but I think Burakovsky was one piece too much. Either way, anything that will make Backstrom produce more is good new to me, he's my favorite player on your team.

[–]bm_57WSHNHL 0 points 3 hours ago
If the real GMBM (not me) made this exact deal, I would consider both teams winners.

[–]PlacowdepussMTLOld7NHL 2 points 3 hours ago
Yeah, I would too. You guys definitely improved a lot, but overpaid just a bit.

We have some real idiots for fans.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Haven't read much about usage adjusted stats but here it is, doesn't paint a good picture for Girardi.

H0njklF.jpg
4 more years for him and he's already 30 :lol it seems like most people knew this was a bad contract from the get go.

Edit: Emelin is trash

3R5njhQ.png

Subban is God tier

nLJjzJi.png

Girardi is terrible under pressure and is terrible handling the puck/playing the style AV wants to play.

His terrible fancy stats are ancillary reasons for his terribleness, but doesn't help his case.

He was a big reason for the loss in the SCF last year. He was crap. Hopefully we'll be able to jettison him in a couple of years, but with that contract...

Cake Boss

Banned
mLWsr6t.jpg

wut?

So according to this, Weirdcock is a #1 pairing dman? the fuck. If anyone has watched any of his games this year they will see he is far from that. I still like him than half of our dman like Cowshit, Gryballs and Borodick, but this is where advanced stats loses me. The eyetest says hes an ok #4 on our team.

Samyy

mLWsr6t.jpg

wut?

So according to this, Weirdcock is a #1 pairing dman? the fuck. If anyone has watched any of his games this year they will see he is far from that. I still like him than half of our dman like Cowshit, Gryballs and Borodick, but this is where advanced stats loses me. The eyetest says hes an ok #4 on our team.

See as I mentioned I haven not read up on usage adjusted stats, so I can't really explain in depth what were seeing here.

Based on more of the traditional numbers Weircoch plays shielded minutes with favourable zone-starts but seems to excel in that role so your assessment appears to be sound. Very similar to Jake Gardiner in that regard.

Cake Boss

Banned
Vermette has shit fancy stats, indicates hes basically a 3rd liner which I agree with and whoever trades for him will be disappointed.

zroid

Banned
well at least Malhotra's TOI is comparable to his abilities, although you're probably better off just scratching him. Faceoffs are overrated.

Top Bottom