• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Vman

Happy to hear he's developing into the player a lot of people at the draft thought he could be. I was really high on him at the time and loved his play style, but he's seemed to have had a slower development, but defenseman often do.

Yep, often takes d-men 3-5 years to fully develop

Relax, Tabris is probably the SO.
KIi69eT.gif

zroid

Banned
So, this is kind of cool. Someone did research into a new analytic which supposedly measures how much a player's goals help their team win games. You could call it being "clutch" or whatever.

wrzGVxn.png

The Koivus are pretty damn clutch apparently

So is David Clarkson... :lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So, this is kind of cool. Someone did research into a new analytic which supposedly measures how much a player's goals help their team win games. You could call it being "clutch" or whatever.

What is it measuring exactly? I remember Sportsnet posted a similar stat the other night, it showed the players with the most goals that either tied a game or broke a tie, and both Patches and Pleks lead the league. Does this try and analyze how a players goal affects the flow of the game, or just the timing of said goals?

Canucks have been pretty hit and miss. Kings have won 7 straight. Sharks have been terrible, though, and everyone looks great in comparison.
Sharks have been shit. Losing to Carolina, Kings, Devils, Calgary, oilers...fucking oilers! They better get their shit together.

Socreges

Banned

wrzGVxn.png

Heatley barely made it.

zroid

Banned
What is it measuring exactly? I remember Sportsnet posted a similar stat the other night, it showed the players with the most goals that either tied a game or broke a tie, and both Patches and Pleks lead the league. Does this try and analyze how a players goal affects the flow of the game, or just the timing of said goals?

It's pretty complicated, you can check out the paper if you're interested http://www.sloansportsconference.co...he-offensive-productivity-of-NHL-players2.pdf

It's related to how much a player's goals affect win probability (which is something else this guy studied for this paper)

Imagine a team wants to add to its depth at forward and has the choice between two equally priced players
who average about 20 goals per season. Now imagine that one of those players scored all of his goals in overtime,
while the other player scored all of his when his team already had a large lead. It is clear that the first player is a more
valuable asset. But what about in situations that are not nearly as clear-cut? By using the change in win probability
when a goal is scored, we can evaluate how much a player's goal contributions impact their team's chance of winning
the game. I call this new statistic Added Goal Value (AGV).

Calamari41

41 > 38
Today I learned that San Diego has a rich history of the San Diego Gulls.

San Diego hockey fans are, like, really happy about this.

It's like Seattle hockey fans getting an NHL team named the Metropolitans. Or Quebec getting an NHL team called the Nordiques.

Oh wow, I had no idea.

Long Live The Gulls!

Acid08

Banned

wrzGVxn.png

Cheech :'(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's pretty complicated, you can check out the paper if you're interested http://www.sloansportsconference.co...he-offensive-productivity-of-NHL-players2.pdf

It's related to how much a player's goals affect win probability (which is something else this guy studied for this paper)
I'll check it out tomorrow. I like the idea of trying to quantify a players "clutch" factor, it just seems like such an inherently difficult stat to track. I would like to see someone try and find a way to analyze teams ability to stay in games, a competitiveness factor more or less as well. I know some stats guys don't think there is such a thing, but I still believe that some teams really do have more compete and drive in them than others, and I'm not comparing a team like Nashville to Buffalo.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers are 7-1-2 in the Post-Lundqvist Era and are now just 2 points behind the Islanders for first place in the Metropolitan division, with 3 games in hand. Three points out of first place in the Eastern Conference, though with only 1 game in hand over Montreal.

Not exactly how we planned it, but not bad.

Stasis

wrzGVxn.png

You should type out a list of all players between -1.0 and 1.0 for us. Thx.

Nick Rash is pretty good! Surprised to see Gabs in there too.

keezy

Is Zetterberg active tonight? They keep playing that video of him holding Jamie Benn off that faceoff and then getting punched in the head.

It's hilarious because nobody from the Red Wings does anything to stand up for him. I've never seen that before. Somebody from the Capitals hit Tavares after a whistle on Saturday and Matt Martin was out there the next shift squaring up with the guy. This is why it's difficult for me (being from Michigan) to like the Wings. They don't have any stones.

End of rant.

Merguson

Banned
Is Zetterberg active tonight? They keep playing that video of him holding Jamie Benn off that faceoff and then getting punched in the head.

It's hilarious because nobody from the Red Wings does anything to stand up for him. I've never seen that before. Somebody from the Capitals hit Tavares after a whistle on Saturday and Matt Martin was out there the next shift squaring up with the guy. This is why it's difficult for me (being from Michigan) to like the Wings. They don't have any stones.

End of rant.

what did you expect from a bunch of commies

Our boy Ruch was a Gull too?? I'm definitely going to be buying some merch as soon as it goes up.

Yup. Rucchin was actually drafted from College then split time between Anaheim and San Diego. I think they moved the team to LA then Long Beach to become the Ice Dogs and folded while a WCHL team took the Gulls name during that time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/return-of-san-diego-gulls-is-family-affair-for-ducks-060035465.html

Wow goes back to 1966. Even before the LA kings.

Cake Boss

Banned
Leafs are planning to trade Lupul before the trade deadline.

In similar news, the sky appears to be blue.

For Colin Greening!!!!

Sent to Binghamton on a one-way contract with a $2.65 million cap hit after clearing waivers, the Senators have mild interest from a couple of teams in Greening, but they have to show the 28-year-old can contribute at this level if Ottawa is going to have a realistic shot at trading him.

MIIILLLLDDDDD INTEREST!!!!

WOOOO

627.gif

Top Bottom