• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Giggzy

DSP works hard every night. He's been inconsistent with offensive firepower this season but he'll constantly work hard and throw his body around. I never see him take a night off in terms of effort.

You'll like him

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bergevin has always classified players as guys who get you through the season or ones that get you through the playoffs. Maybe he sees Sekac as the former and DSP as the latter. I'll have to put my trust in him for now, I wonder if Timmins had a say in this and was a fan of DSP.

Acid08

Banned
James Wisniewski's on the trading block. Not sure what kind of Finnish voodoo that Jarmo can conjure up, but it sure would be nice to get something out of trading him instead of a high 1st round draft pick.
Can't wait to see you assholes trade him to the Kings for Jordan Nolan and a 5th round pick.

zroid

Banned
This is interesting. Their corsi is similar, but their usage is a bit different:

98WBto3.png

They face similar competition, but DSP gets more offensive zone starts than defensive zone starts

Also consider their Goals For %

jPe2m9l.png

Sekac's net GF% may be higher than DSP's, but the Habs have a much higher GF% than the Ducks. I wouldn't have expected such a significant drop off when Sekac was on the ice, especially since Price has the most significant effect on that stat.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is interesting. Their corsi may have been similar, but their usage is quite different:

3P1rcWQ.png

They face similar competition, but DSP gets way more offensive zone starts

Also consider their Goals For %

jPe2m9l.png

Sekac's net GF% may be higher than DSP's, but the Habs have a much higher GF% than the Ducks. I wouldn't have expected such a significant drop off when Sekac was on the ice, especially since Price has the most significant effect on that stat.

Dude that y scale is a fucking joke man. Don't display data like fox news

Red_Man

Another Bergevin trade that no one saw coming. This is why I laugh when Dreger says he has interest in someone like Bozak.

Merguson

Banned
Another Bergevin trade that no one saw coming. This is why I laugh when Dreger says he has interest in someone like Bozak.

I'm pretty sure Friedman said Montreal was shopping Sekac last week though.

EDIT: Looking at HFBoards posts from last week regarding Friedman's comments on Sekac.

Bergevin hit the jackpot with this kid, no way he is going anywhere

Not being shopped our coach is just an idiot

No way that happens. Bergevin isn't Therrien. He knows what it takes to win hockey games.

And here's a winner.

Friedman has about as much credibility when it comes to anything Montreal related as Eklund does with the majority of HF posters. That is, none.

Red_Man

I'm pretty sure Friedman said Montreal was shopping Sekac last week though.

EDIT: Looking at HFBoards posts from last week regarding Friedman's comments on Sekac.
To be fair, he didn't say he was shopping him, he said that other teams had tried to get him in the off season and it wasn't working out with Therrien and was just wondering if moving him was a possibility. At least that's what I read, and I had the same reaction as those hfboard posters. I'm still shocked, but I trust Bergevin so I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

zroid

Banned
a player not working out with Therrien is a problematic reason to move the player :lol

Nonis made so many horrible personnel decisions based on who was or wasn't working out with Carlol

Lourio

In DSP's Montreal conference call, he mentioned the constant line juggling in Anaheim was a problem for him since he's played RW all his life. DSP, say hello to Michel Therrien.

Razorskin

----- ------
a player not working out with Therrien is a problematic reason to move the player :lol

Nonis made so many horrible personnel decisions based on who was or wasn't working out with Carlol
Yeah, I don't like it, Therrien can't be canned soon enough.

Red_Man

I really don't think Bergevin did this to appease Therrien. It doesn't make sense after he moved Moen, Bourne, didn't resign Bouillon etc. Not to mention all the he kids he's forced him to play. Wouldn't make sense for him to do something to appease him now.

Yawnier

Banned
I remember when laffs management was allegedly interested in DSP and wanted to nab him with the 43rd overall in 2010 but ended up with PED enthusiast and ECHL superstar Brad Ross instead. Good times

zroid

Banned
I really don't think Bergevin did this to appease Therrien. It doesn't make sense after he moved Moen, Bourne, didn't resign Bouillon etc. Not to mention all the he kids he's forced him to play. Wouldn't make sense for him to do something to appease him now.

yea that's true. I like what Berge does for the most part. this trade is a bit puzzling though.

by the numbers, it seems like a lateral move. but my concerns for Montreal are (1) Cakes hasn't played many games in the league yet so I think he might have more upside depending on how much he can still adjust, and (2) both aren't very good at possession, BUT Cakes is ostensibly more of a creative offensive player, which you can be effective at without driving play; on the other hand, DSP supposedly fills the power forward role, but if you don't drive play as a power forward, you just aren't a very good power forward in my opinion.

Top Bottom