• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

iJCEyYI.gif

ifg4sJSI3H7nr.gif

Close one guys, let's bring it in.

iqpRpgZCSpjeB.gif

Quick

Banned
Kave learns to play hockey - Game 2

I just got back from our second game. Oh man was it a thriller. One thing we worried about after last week's game and practicing against the same team for 10 straight sessions was we might have some bad habits since it was so easy against them. Sure enough that popped up tonight.

We went into the third period tied at zero. We were once again controlling play but their goalie was standing on their head and despite what some of my teammates felt I thought the team we played while not as good as us played a great team game. They didn't try to do what they couldn't, they were playing the puck off the boards, dumping it in and just icing the puck if they were in trouble. We weren't passing to each other, we were taking bad shots from outside on 2 on 1s, 3 on 1s and so forth.

I also think I'm starting to see the type of game I might be good at. I was starting to be effective along the boards and screening the goalie. In the third period we had a lot of chances to score as soon as I parked myself in front of the goalie. Their goalie couldn't read the puck at all once I did that and we had a few shots that just missed the net that he made no movement on. From there I relayed the information to my teammate who I swap playing left wing with. Thanks to that he crashed the net and with 1:59 left in the third he managed to grab a rebound and just barely squeak it past the goalie.

We won the game 1-0. I'm super proud of my left wing partner, me and him are probably the "worst" players on the team but we both work hard, know our roles and do what we can. We've now both scored the first goals of both games.

Our goalie was great for us, he didn't get a lot of work this week but when he did get shots on him he stood tall and kept us in the game.

So yeah my role going forward until I at least get better at skating is the good ole Mimico boy role but actually being good at it.

My immediate goal though is I need to learn to stop properly, I think it can fix a lot of issues I have right now. I have 5 more weeks to learn it before we go into our tournament. I know what to do I'm just not fully committing.

tumblr_mki9o75CaJ1r41emlo1_500.gif

Foggy

James Wisniewski's on the trading block. Not sure what kind of Finnish voodoo that Jarmo can conjure up, but it sure would be nice to get something out of trading him instead of a high 1st round draft pick.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I like Lupul, but at his price tag and with his contract / injury history, I don't see Bergevin doing it.

James Wisniewski's on the trading block. Not sure what kind of Finnish voodoo that Jarmo can conjure up, but it sure would be nice to get something out of trading him instead of a high 1st round draft pick.
Wiz on the other hand, I would love to see back with the Habs.

zroid

Banned
Stan Bowman on analytics

Craig Custance: The Blackhawks were the only NHL team in the "All-In" tier among NHL teams in The Magazine's Analytics Rankings. Is that a fair way to categorize your use of analytics?

Bowman: Yeah. I look at it as a competitive thing. I think what we do is better than anyone else. That's just my opinion. I'm not going to prove it to you. It's not about me, it's about, How does it help us? I use it a lot, but I don't talk about it. If what I describe is actually helpful to someone else, then my advantage starts to decrease. Then others would start to look at it like that.

Custance: Does that approach give the Blackhawks a competitive advantage?

Bowman: Once anything is widely adopted, there's no advantage. Then you're all looking at all the same things the same way. Right now, I think we're looking at things slightly differently. I don't get into specifics. It's not to be coy; I'm not trying to get accolades.

Custance: Is there an application for analytics beyond player acquisition?

Bowman: When you look at the numbers, sometimes you find instances where you can point out, Here's what you might not think or see as coaches, and this is actually what's going on. And you can make some subtle changes. I would never say our team is changing its style of play; maybe it's more matchup oriented, or in terms of line combinations. The coaches have a good gut instinct and it's right 90 percent of the time. Sometimes things that are intuitive are helped by the analytics.

Custance: What's an example of that?

Bowman: You have an impression of a certain player, that he doesn't perform well when he's matched up against other good players. He does well against third- or fourth-liners. You think you can't trust him to play against top players. You look at the statistics and how that player performs and you realize: "Huh, he did pretty well. I never would have predicted that that guy would have done that." Sometimes your impressions of things are different than what the numbers show. When that's the case, sometimes there's an explanation for it.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wooooo another 1 point win! Thinking about going to Wednesdays game. Anyone going?!

Work night games suck for me, since I get up before 5. It seriously cramps my hockey-attending style these days, but at least I have Friday through Sunday games.

Samyy

At least DSP is a good piece?
Sekac looks really good though and I would be very apprehensive trading with ducks, they seem to evaluate talent really well.

Samyy

I think Bergevin is a good GM but his antics with Subban this summer and continuing to use Therrien, and now letting him shape the roster, not sure about that...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Interesting trade, aren't they both good young players that weren't exactly underperforming? I wonder what led to that/what ech team is hoping for.

Lourio

Interesting trade. The Habs get that 'bigger/thicker' forward. We'll see how it pans out. I'd much prefer to see how Sekac developed over a year or 2 before trading him away.

So excited for Monday lol. Got the day off and everything :-D

Solo

Therrien probably wanted that mythological "grit" for the playoffs that has been scientifically proven to win you 0 more games.

Red_Man

Sekac could easily be a 25-30 goal scorer in the future, this was his first time on North America ice and was still adjusting. What a weird trade, I don't think Bergevin did it because Therrien didn't like him seeing as he traded away guys like Bork and Moen but still, it's really odd. I don't like it right now, hopefully DSP shows more goods in the future.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Canadiens trade Jiri Sekac to Ducks for Devante Smith-Pelly http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/706831

I don't know much about Sekac.

DSP is a grinder 3rd/4th line winger who may one day be a second liner. He's kind of had a forgettable season

I was really looking forward to seeing DSP's future. He was clutch as fuck during the playoffs last season. I don't know enough/anything about Sekac to judge the quality of the trade though. If Red_Man doesn't like it, it must be a decent tradeoff?

Smiley90

Sekac could easily be a 25-30 goal scorer in the future, this was his first time on North America ice and was still adjusting. What a weird trade, I don't think Bergevin did it because Therrien didn't like him seeing as he traded away guys like Bork and Moen but still, it's really odd. I don't like it right now, hopefully DSP shows more goods in the future.

For some reason I think DSP's goods won't disappoint.

Pierre, can you tell us?

Red_Man

I wonder if Sekac asked for a trade with how he's been used this year,thats the only way this makes sense to me. At least DSP is only 22.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't like the trade for the Habs, I think Sekac will get better.

That said, I think DSP may make the Habs harder to play against.

Mr.Green

I liked Sekac and don't know much about DSP so my first reaction was a resounding wtf but Bergevin has been pretty good so far so here's hope.

Do we know if he's gonna play tonight?

Smiley90

oh really? well let's see...

xJvRcwP.png

seems about right

though with Cakes the sample size is still a bit small so it's harder to judge
Let's just say this season they've been VERY similar in terms of stats :p

Top Bottom