• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Cake Boss

Banned
Were getting offers on Cowen but apprently Bran Murray doesn't wanna trade him.

We just played some of our best defensive hockey this season against one of the 2 best teams without Cowshit. Trade the motherfucker.

zychi

Banned
Not the same as "we are not trading him."

Also, lol at Dan Bernstein starting a bullshit locker room rumor and everyone running with it. People like him should be held accountable for when they lie. I dont understand how a guy like Brian Williams gets fired for a lie, but sports guys are wrong and lie behind "my sources" and nothing happens to them.

Buncj of old bitter assholes at 670 the score

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Were getting offers on Cowen but apprently Bran Murray doesn't wanna trade him.

We just played some of our best defensive hockey this season against one of the 2 best teams without Cowshit. Trade the motherfucker.

I don't know why Murray is so obsessed with perceived potential, especially when a player has dropped the ball for multiple seasons. Other teams cut their underperforming kids pretty easily, yet Murray is content with icing the same underperforming mediocre lineup season after season.

yyzjohn

Banned
Why are Sens fans down on Cowen? Isn't this the guy that Murray and Sens fans wanted all along in the draft when Murray out-foxed Burke and pretended he was gonna pick Kadri?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Why are Sens fans down on Cowen? Isn't this the guy that Murray and Sens fans wanted all along in the draft when Murray out-foxed Burke and pretended he was gonna pick Kadri?

He's as dumb as a brick. The kid has obviously been headshotted a few too many times.

Marvie_3

Banned
Blackhawks will never get true value back for Sharp, but that's what happens when you're that cap crunched.
Sharp's value is nowhere near what it was last year, so what they get for him is probably going to be close to his value right now. He was a ghost in the playoffs last year and isnt producing much of anything outside of the power play this year.

GM speak. Similar to Bettman speak.

zroid

Banned
I'm sick of Toronto media and fans complaining about Kessel. If that means he has to go, so be it. Just as long as we get fair return (ie: blue chip picks/prospects)

Kessel deserves better than all the jerks in this city

Marvie_3

Banned
Not the same as "we are not trading him."

Also, lol at Dan Bernstein starting a bullshit locker room rumor and everyone running with it. People like him should be held accountable for when they lie. I dont understand how a guy like Brian Williams gets fired for a lie, but sports guys are wrong and lie behind "my sources" and nothing happens to them.

Buncj of old bitter assholes at 670 the score
It's because Bernstein is a total fucktard that, like gaming journalism or Fox News, should not be taken seriously.

I'm sick of Toronto media and fans complaining about Kessel. If that means he has to go, so be it. Just as long as we get fair return (ie: blue chip picks/prospects)

Take Sharp + Bickell + Shaw + our 1st and we'll give him a good home. He'll like the pizza in Chicago and he can eat all the Stan Mikita's donuts he wants.

He doesn't seem to give a shit about anything, doesn't play with enough heart, isn't a team guy and is not a winner.

If we can get a good return, he needs to go.

yyzjohn

Banned

Deserves got nothing to do with it. He's 28 and they won't get more return from him in future years, the time to trade him is this summer. Leafs aren't going anywhere for years so why keep him when you can load up on picks and prospects who are 9-10 years younger.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member

I like Kessel and find his awkwardness kinda adorable. He might not be playing well right now but virtually nobody on this team is playing well.

I don't want to see him go, but if he does, I'd like a good return.

He doesn't seem to give a shit about anything, doesn't play with enough heart, isn't a team guy and is not a winner.

If we can get a good return, he needs to go.

This just made me laugh.

zroid

Banned
Deserves got nothing to do with it. He's 28 and they won't get more return from him in future years, the time to trade him is this summer. Leafs aren't going anywhere for years so why keep him when you can load up on picks and prospects who are 9-10 years younger.

I agree but the sticking point is how much will he decline in 3-4 years? If Kessel in 3-4 years is better than the return (which he might be), then you shouldn't be making that trade.

You can't just trade him for a late 1st round pick and a good prospect, there's no guarantee there.

If you're interested, read this Canadiens blog post about Kessel's potential decline: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/n...sel-habs-trade-target-2015-nhl-trade-deadline It raises some points about why he might be better in a few years than some people think

zroid

Banned
blyGRLy.png

Burkie already prepping for TradeCentre

yyzjohn

Banned
I agree but the sticking point is how much will he decline in 3-4 years? If Kessel in 3-4 years is better than the return (which he might be), then you shouldn't be making that trade.

You can't just trade him for a late 1st round pick and a good prospect, there's no guarantee there.

If you're interested, read this Canadiens blog post about Kessel's potential decline: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/n...sel-habs-trade-target-2015-nhl-trade-deadline It raises some points about why he might be better in a few years than some people think

3-4 years? Try 5-6 years for Leafs to be anything like a good playoff bet. I'm ok with keeping the fatty but I think they could do well in trading him now.

zroid

Banned
3-4 years? Try 5-6 years for Leafs to be anything like a good playoff bet. I'm ok with keeping the fatty but I think they could do well in trading him now.

I'm sorry I know we've had this conversation before, but banking on a 5-6 year rebuild is stupid. Literally stupid, because if it takes that long for you to rebuild it means you're probably stupid. In fact the cap room gained with moving Clarkson has probably accelerated the rebuild by a year on its own.

3-4 years should be the goal.

in related news, I'm looking forward to Wendel Clarkman's CJB debut in a few minutes

edit: coincidentally, Mirtle JUST said a few seconds ago on TSN1050 that we're looking at 3-4 years

The waiting will suck, but if it takes 3-4 or 5-6 years for the Leafs to compete than so be it. They should've blown things up and done a rebuild years ago.

It would've been nice if they'd realized this prior to this season, because they'll just miss out on McDavid.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm sorry I know we've had this conversation before, but banking on a 5-6 year rebuild is stupid. Literally stupid, because if it takes that long for you to rebuild it means you're probably stupid. In fact the cap room gained with moving Clarkson has probably accelerated the rebuild by a year on its own.

3-4 years should be the goal.

in related news, I'm looking forward to Wendel Clarkman's CJB debut in a few minutes

edit: coincidentally, Mirtle JUST said a few seconds ago on TSN1050 that we're looking at 3-4 years

3-4 years for what? Making the playoffs or actually having a team that might win a round or 2? Just making the playoffs in 3-4 years sounds like a Burke accelerated rebuild that worked real well before. They have to be patient with this process for once, there are no shorcuts. Rielly will be 25-26 by then and if they build properly they might have a real good team

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Sharp feels like a summer move, I'm sure the Hawks want roster players back in return, but I wouldn't move anyone on Montreal leading up to the playoffs.

Hawks might have liked getting Sekac in return though(+more obviously).

zroid

Banned
3-4 years for what? Making the playoffs or actually having a team that might win a round or 2? Just making the playoffs in 3-4 years sounds like a Burke accelerated rebuild that worked real well before. They have to be patient with this process for once, there are no shorcuts. Rielly will be 25-26 by then and if they build properly they might have a real good team

The Burke "rebuild" failed because they didn't value their players correctly. The team that made the playoffs in 2013 was not a good team, but they had potential. Then Nonis threw it away by signing Clarkson, extending Bozak, giving Phaneuf an exorbitant deal, missing the boat with Franson, letting MacArthur walk for nothing, using a compliance buyout on Grabo, etc. Also that compliance buyout wasted on Komisarek was hilariously dumb.

Anyway I'm not saying we go the Burke route here. 3-4 years should be when you aim for the team to be good. Not necessarily a contender. Once you have a good team then you can establish yourself from there.

The Burke "rebuild" failed because they didn't value their players correctly. The team that made the playoffs in 2013 was not a good team, but they had potential. Then Nonis threw it away by signing Clarkson, extending Bozak, giving Phaneuf an exorbitant deal, missing the boat with Franson, letting MacArthur walk for nothing, using a compliance buyout on Grabo, etc. Also that compliance buyout wasted on Komisarek was hilariously dumb.

It also failed because Burke got Seabrook and Kane before Keith and Toews.

Burke was a big baka.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I sleep all day and all kinds of shit goes down. Apparently the Rangers have reversed course now and are aggressively shopping Zuccarello. For whatever reason, Sather seems absolutely obsessed with NOT paying Zucc what he deserves/will get elsewhere, even though Zucc has taken below value contracts the last few seasons as favors in order to work towards a long term deal.

Meanwhile, they're also working towards trying to bring Pavel Buchnevich over right now as his KHL team missed the playoffs, and his KHL contract is apparently up. These two actions seem pretty likely to be related.

In short, this seems really fucking dumb. Much dumber than swapping out Callahan last season.

The return had better be really really fucking awesome.

Also, I found this really funny. Per Larry Brooks:
Rangers never once inquired about the Leafs’ Tyler Bozak, but the Maple Leafs, anxious to move the 28-year-old center’s contract that has three years remaining at $4.2 million, have come knocking Sather’s door a number of times offering their No. 42 as a goodie too good to resist.

Man, I sleep all day and all kinds of shit goes down. Apparently the Rangers have reversed course now and are aggressively shopping Zuccarello. For whatever reason, Sather seems absolutely obsessed with NOT paying Zucc what he deserves/will get elsewhere, even though Zucc has taken below value contracts the last few seasons as favors in order to work towards a long term deal.

Meanwhile, they're also working towards trying to bring Pavel Buchnevich over right now as his KHL team missed the playoffs, and his KHL contract is apparently up. These two actions seem pretty likely to be related.

In short, this seems really fucking dumb. Much dumber than swapping out Callahan last season.

The return had better be really really fucking awesome.

That Glass money could have gone to the Norwegian hobbit.

Top Bottom