• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

Razorskin

----- ------
Hopefully Spider-Man won't be a fucking teenager this time.

mMCIuSI.gif

Heretic

Kave learns how to play hockey SPECIAL UPDATE!!!

First please open this link and play it in the background as you read below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3h3sp1l_Fo

Hello friends,

I have just got back home and I can say today that I have just finished my last hockey school session. I have officially "graduated" from hockey school!!!!

10 weeks of learning all the basics, bonding with my teammates and overall having tons of fun. I can't say that I am now a super duper player but I can say I am a lot better. I am skating a lot smoother, I can make sharp turns. I still can't stop well but I can skate backwards a few meters and frankly I am amazed by that.

With hockey school now over, next week I begin the next step; we now play actual real live games. Not shinny, but actually games with refs and proper line changes and everything.

That said today we ran a few drills and then ran some organized shinny for 40 minutes straight tonight. The problem my team had was we only had 7 guys tonight, so needless to say we were exhausted but my teammates, boy are they amazing. After 10 minutes we were already up 5-0 and from there we were able to coast for the remainder of the time.

Remember how I just said my teammates are amazing? They really are. Once we were up they kept trying to get me the puck to give me a chance to score. I didn't end up scoring but I was able to take a nice wrister in the slot that the goalie deflected off his shoulder. I had another chance right next to the net at point blank but fanned on the pass. It was a drastic improvement over the first shinny I took part in, I was able to get the puck, I was able to keep possession and I didn't feel like I was holding us back much.

I played mostly left wing tonight with a few shifts at center and 1 or 2 on defense. I'm more motivated then when I started now. I want to be able to help this team out, I want to be able to do my role.

As always I'll keep you guys updated as I continue to go along, we have 7 games coming up and then a big tournament to end the season in mid April.

cat-graduation-cap-gown-15930306.jpg

GO KAVE GO!

Love the commentary "this is boumas best game ever" "wow..." I swallowed beverage down my air hole

Back in 2nd...of the conference kuekekekekeke

Hey. You may have won the game.

But *I* won Tacos. Thank you 88 Burnzie. 4 Tacos for me. None for you. :p

And you can't take that away from me. I await my diarrhea.

Socreges

Banned

Hello friends,

I have just got back home and I can say today that I have just finished my last hockey school session. I have officially "graduated" from hockey school!!!!

10 weeks of learning all the basics, bonding with my teammates and overall having tons of fun. I can't say that I am now a super duper player but I can say I am a lot better. I am skating a lot smoother, I can make sharp turns. I still can't stop well but I can skate backwards a few meters and frankly I am amazed by that.

With hockey school now over, next week I begin the next step; we now play actual real live games. Not shinny, but actually games with refs and proper line changes and everything.

That said today we ran a few drills and then ran some organized shinny for 40 minutes straight tonight. The problem my team had was we only had 7 guys tonight, so needless to say we were exhausted but my teammates, boy are they amazing. After 10 minutes we were already up 5-0 and from there we were able to coast for the remainder of the time.

Remember how I just said my teammates are amazing? They really are. Once we were up they kept trying to get me the puck to give me a chance to score. I didn't end up scoring but I was able to take a nice wrister in the slot that the goalie deflected off his shoulder. I had another chance right next to the net at point blank but fanned on the pass. It was a drastic improvement over the first shinny I took part in, I was able to get the puck, I was able to keep possession and I didn't feel like I was holding us back much.

I played mostly left wing tonight with a few shifts at center and 1 or 2 on defense. I'm more motivated then when I started now. I want to be able to help this team out, I want to be able to do my role.

As always I'll keep you guys updated as I continue to go along, we have 7 games coming up and then a big tournament to end the season in mid April.

Great update. Inspiring shit, keep it coming.

I've only ever played street hockey. Can't skate worth a damn and have the stitches to prove it. I'd really like to join a school like you have, though, and give it a shot.

I've been invited to play roller-hockey at the Googleplex. I've got a couple pair of rollerblades, a stick, kneepads, a helmet . . .

So should I play with some geeks?

I've never played hockey on wheels before. Always with ice skates before this . . . and that was like 30 years ago. LOL.

Edit: I WON TACOS.

Edit2: I'm starting to think they need to move away from Nemo. Put Stalock or Grosenick in there. At least make Nemo sweat.

Edit3: I got Tacos. Ok?

I've been invited to play roller-hockey at the Googleplex. I've got a couple pair of rollerblades, a stick, kneepads, a helmet . . .

So should I play with some geeks?

I've never played hockey on wheels before. Always with ice skates before this . . . and that was like 30 years ago. LOL.

Edit: I WON TACOS.

Edit2: I'm starting to think they need to move away from Nemo. Put Stalock or Grosenick in there. At least make Nemo sweat.

I don't think niemi is your issue though, at least not this game, I'm just getting used to watching actual hockey but it seemed like we had way to many easy entries and a lot of odd man rushes. I'd pin more of it on the coverage. That third goal was unstoppable, that second one that Bouma potted in was pretty preventable though, can't believe niemi wasn't sharper there.

Sharks had some quality chances that probably would have went in if hiller wasn't as sharp as he was tonight, just my stray observations: offense gives up on the play too early, you've got quality guys like couture and marleau who are always generating and they stick out like a sore thumb, which is great because they're playing quality hockey but it makes it apparent how the other forwards aren't hustling as much. SJs transition game needs work, those guys seem like their full tilt all the time, either on offense or defense, and then you got our young guys coming in playing two way and I just didn't see the sharks getting a lot of momentum when the turnovers happened.

That's based off the last couple meets we had, obviously you guys know your team better than I do, but that's what I saw.

Id much prefer to see the sharks in a playoff position than the Kings or wild, so I hope they get it together

Acid08

Banned
I don't think niemi is your issue though, at least not this game, I'm just getting used to watching actual hockey but it seemed like we had way to many easy entries and a lot of odd man rushes. I'd pin more of it on the coverage. That third goal was unstoppable, that second one that Bouma potted in was pretty preventable though, can't believe niemi wasn't sharper there.

Sharks had some quality chances that probably would have went in if hiller wasn't as sharp as he was tonight, just my stray observations: offense gives up on the play too early, you've got quality guys like couture and marleau who are always generating and they stick out like a sore thumb, which is great because they're playing quality hockey but it makes it apparent how the other forwards aren't hustling as much. SJs transition game needs work, those guys seem like their full tilt all the time, either on offense or defense, and then you got our young guys coming in playing two way and I just didn't see the sharks getting a lot of momentum when the turnovers happened.

That's based off the last couple meets we had, obviously you guys know your team better than I do, but that's what I saw.

Id much prefer to see the sharks in a playoff position than the Kings or wild, so I hope they get it together

Vlasic and Braun are injured. Our defense is a joke without them, replacing them with lesser players hurts every single part of our game.

Not to say that we're all of a sudden exceptional with them but it's really apparent how much they mean to us when they're not there.

Considering we have the most offensively productive D man and probably the most offensive D pairing in the league I'm not sure I would have very much confidence in our ability to string anything together without them setting the pace.

Considering we have the most offensively productive D man and probably the most offensive D pairing in the league I'm not sure I would have very much confidence in our ability to string anything together without them setting the pace.

Well sure . . . but I still won Tacos. :-D

Edit: Sharks played shitty. As Acid pointed out, the D was weak. But the offense was not that productive today. I know, I was right down at the Calgary goal for periods 1 and 3. The offense was just not very organized. Too many centering passes to no one in front of the net.

They need to get their shit together.

By the way . . . did I tell you I won Tacos? 2 of them. Wait . . . maybe 4. I have 2 tickets.

Hello friends,

Sooner or later you'll be as good as the great Dan Cleary himself and we will all be mesmerized by your skill!

Congrats sir!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gazette has a great piece on Weise, including this bit of how much of a prick Torts is:

I went out onto the ice, took two full laps, shot a couple of pucks and the trainer gives me this one from the sideline (Weise recreates the beckoning motions with his finger).

“He says, ‘You gotta go see Torts (Tortorella).’

“At this point, I knew I was traded for sure. That or they were going to put me on waivers. John Tortorella wasn’t just going to tell me to pick my game up. I was getting taken off the ice.

“I went into the dressing room, Tortorella was just standing there alone. He says, ‘There’s a trade in the works, I can’t tell you where to yet, there could be a few teams bidding right now. Get undressed.’

“Then he just walked out of the room. Didn’t say goodbye, didn’t say good luck, nothing. That was it.”
What an asshole, no wonder teams quit on him. Rest of the article is here: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/h.../dale-weise-living-a-dream-with-the-canadiens

Also:

Max Pacioretty has more even-strength points than Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Thornton, Perry, Giroux and Tavares.
Unf Unf Unf and this is playing with an AHL dwarf center.

gaming_noob

Leafs have 9 more games before the trade deadline. I can see them losing all of them.

My predictions:

NYR - Could be a Win; Leafs have beat them in both meetings this year
NYI - Loss
Montreal - Loss
Florida - Win
Carolina - Loss
Winnipeg - Loss
Philly - Loss
Montreal - Loss
Washington - Loss

Leafs have 9 more games before the trade deadline. I can see them losing all of them.

My predictions:

NYR - Could be a Win; Leafs have beat them in both meetings this year
NYI - Loss
Montreal - Loss
Florida - Win
Carolina - Loss
Winnipeg - Loss
Philly - Loss
Montreal - Loss
Washington - Loss

You are definitely going to win against the Habs at least once I guaranteed it

Foggy

Hello friends,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-WHW-QNswE

Red_Man

Leafs always show up to play us, no matter where either team is in the standings. Expecting them to pull out a big win then.

Solo

If the playoffs started today in the East:

untitledltuhr.jpg

4 pretty amazing series. Wings/Habs hasn't occurred in my life so I'd love to see it.

Montresor

untitledltuhr.jpg

4 pretty amazing series. Wings/Habs hasn't occurred in my life so I'd love to see it.

Hopefully in about 5 years once the Leafs rebuild is over, we see these matchups:

A1 Toronto vs W2 Ottawa
A2 Boston vs A3 Detroit

M1 NY Islanders vs W1 NY Rangers
M2 Washington vs M3 Columbus

With McDavid tearing Ottawa apart, and Eugene Melnyk crying.

zroid

Banned
Hopefully in about 5 years once the Leafs rebuild is over, we see these matchups:

A1 Toronto vs W2 Ottawa
A2 Boston vs A3 Detroit

M1 NY Islanders vs W1 NY Rangers
M2 Washington vs M3 Columbus

With McDavid tearing Ottawa apart, and Eugene Melnyk crying.

Buffalo may well be in there somewhere. Assuming the Leafs get McDavid, they are almost certainly getting Eichel...

Montresor

By seasons end you guys will be writing fan fiction or something

Montreal fires Therrien end of season after being swept in the first round by the Red Wings. The Red Wings get destroyed in the next round by team XYX (who cares) and Babcock decides to leave Detroit for greener pastures. Montreal's anglophone fanbase clamours to hire Babcock, but Montreal's francophone fanbase spits at the idea in disgust. Habs end up re-hiring Jacques Martin and flounder for the next decade.

Meantime, Toronto wins the McDavid lottery, dumps Clarkson onto Edmonton, and hires Babcock. The rebuild is dramatic enough for Toronto to ice a competitive roster for their 2017 centenniel. They get bounced in the first round but they lose NORMALLY. Then they win they win 2 Cups in the next 4 years. First cup victory is in Toronto, second Cup victory is in Vancouver.

Why did I write this.

Montreal fires Therrien end of season after being swept in the first round by the Red Wings. The Red Wings get destroyed in the next round by team XYX (who cares) and Babcock decides to leave Detroit for greener pastures. Montreal's anglophone fanbase clamours to hire Babcock, but Montreal's francophone fanbase spits at the idea in disgust. Habs end up re-hiring Jacques Martin and flounder for the next decade.

Meantime, Toronto wins the McDavid lottery, dumps Clarkson onto Edmonton, and hires Babcock. The rebuild is dramatic enough for Toronto to ice a competitive roster for their 2017 centenniel. They get bounced in the first round but they lose NORMALLY. Then they win they win 2 Cups in the next 4 years. First cup victory is in Toronto, second Cup victory is in Vancouver.

Why did I write this.

This is just sad to read :(

Samyy

Why did I write this.

Especially considering Vancouver will be irrelevant in two years, Sedins will be 37 and they don't have anyone to replace them.
Step your fan fiction game up Montressor, clearly it would be Calgary!

ShaneB

Cold hard truthfacts. I didn't even post the west, because really, who cares about Flames vs Sharks or Nashville vs anyone?

Nashville is a really fun team to watch from the little I've seen, fast as hell.

On the east though, Penguins are easily the team I'd want to play most in the first round in terms of confidence in winning that series.

Parch

Friggin' Toronto media. Last week it was that Friedman goof who said it's better for the game if the major markets have the superstars. So he basically thinks that Toronto should be ENTITLED to Connor McDavid. He sounds like a whiney brat who wants his way.

Maybe the Toronto media can set up a fund. Slip the commish a few bucks to ensure that the Maple Leafs win the lottery? After all, it's what's best for the game, right?.

Nashville is a really fun team to watch from the little I've seen, fast as hell.

On the east though, Penguins are easily the team I'd want to play most in the first round in terms of confidence in winning that series.

Feels like one of those be careful what you wish for situations.

Our history against them in the playoffs is choketastic:

One series win and six losses including choking away two 3-1 series leads as well as two 2-0 series leads.

U5CSBEo.png

Red_Man

Friggin' Toronto media. Last week it was that Friedman goof who said it's better for the game if the major markets have the superstars. So he basically thinks that Toronto should be ENTITLED to Connor McDavid. He sounds like a whiney brat who wants his way.

Maybe the Toronto media can set up a fund. Slip the commish a few bucks to ensure that the Maple Leafs win the lottery? After all, it's what's best for the game, right?.
Do you have any idea who Friedman is? He's not a Toronto mouth piece at all and extrapolating that from what he said is hilarious. Also, he's not wrong, if the league is trying to market superstars to attract new viewers it's easier if they're in bigger markets. You're not going to gain a lot of new viewers marketing McDavid in Phoenix.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

untitledltuhr.jpg

The fun thing is these are almost certainly the 8 teams that are going to make it. Just a matter of how the exact matchups pan out. Pretty much any combination of those 8 leads to some great first and second round pairings.

Rangers are in Toronto to scout Santorelli tonight. And I guess play a hockey game? I don't know.

ShaneB

Feels like one of those be careful what you wish for situations.

Our history against them in the playoffs is choketastic:

One series win and six losses including choking away two 3-1 series leads as well as two 2-0 series leads.

U5CSBEo.png

Yup, hasn't been good, but I'd still want to play the Pens instead of the other teams.

So it's chilly instead of ice cold.

I think Horachek is a terrible coach, but finally the Leafs have someone who's actually putting contracts aside and holding players accountable instead of just saying they'll hold players accountable and do nothing. I think that's a pretty big deal.

Top Bottom