• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2015 |OT| The next Maple Leafs goal will be scored by Connor McDavid

ShaneB

I actually really like Doug MacLean as I've said before. Kyper is definitely a dope, but I like them arguing back and forth, and Doug is the same whenever he is on a panel. Just a loud personality that makes me want to watch.

It's just a bit of personality because I barely pay attention to Hockey analysis lately anyway. I watch the game and move on when it's over. For something like Football I can watch so much pregame and post game stuff, but with how fast paced hockey is, most analysis tends to bore the crap out of me since it can be a lot of cliché ridden stuff. I love general hockey talk, but breaking down x's and o's in hockey just never appealed to me since it's such a fluid sport. It's why "he's a 'right place at the right time' kind of player" is a big attribute in my opinion.

zroid

Banned
but with how fast paced hockey is, most analysis tends to bore the crap out of me since it can be a lot of cliché ridden stuff. I love general hockey talk, but breaking down x's and o's in hockey just never appealed to me since it's such a fluid sport. It's why "he's a 'right place at the right time' kind of player" is a big attribute in my opinion.

you are basically making a strong case for analytics :p

RC

Banned
I actually really like Doug MacLean as I've said before. Kyper is definitely a dope, but I like them arguing back and forth, and Doug is the same whenever he is on a panel. Just a loud personality that makes me want to watch.

It's just a bit of personality because I barely pay attention to Hockey analysis lately anyway. I watch the game and move on when it's over. For something like Football I can watch so much pregame and post game stuff, but with how fast paced hockey is, most analysis tends to bore the crap out of me since it can be a lot of cliché ridden stuff. I love general hockey talk, but breaking down x's and o's in hockey just never appealed to me since it's such a fluid sport. It's why "he's a 'right place at the right time' kind of player" is a big attribute in my opinion.

I'm with you there. It's why I never liked the TSN panel. They always got along with each other.

Foggy

uiikdaizoreowub7ilnr.jpg

The Coloumbus Bluy Dzakits

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So if anyone cares, Las Vegas' season ticket drive to 10K starts today.

Will be very interested to see if the deposits sell out and, if they do, how long it takes.

Vegas getting a team before Quebec or Seattle or Moose Jaw is stupid. I still don't think they'll survive in Vegas long.

Quebec should have gotten a team before Winnipeg. Winnipeg would actually have been really low on my list of cities I'd like to see a team with, lower than Vegas.

1. Quebec
2. Seattle
3. Houston

That would be my top 3 cities that I'd like to see get an NHL team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Vegas getting a team before Quebec or Seattle or Moose Jaw is stupid. I still don't think they'll survive in Vegas long.
I think they should have gotten one first too, but Bettman has some weird stance against anymore franchises in Canada. If he's going to force another one in a weird area in the US, Vegas is a cool place and I think it might surprise some people with the support they receive.

Marvie_3

Banned
Quebec should have gotten a team before Winnipeg. Winnipeg would actually have been really low on my list of cities I'd like to see a team with, lower than Vegas.

1. Quebec
2. Seattle
3. Houston

That would be my top 3 cities that I'd like to see get an NHL team.

Vegas is going to be a money pit like Phoenix soon enough. Winnipeg is fine as an NHL market. It's small but it still pulls in way more money than a lot of the US franchises.

If Quebec had their new arena 5 years ago, I think they would have gotten the Thrashers instead of Winnipeg. Winnipeg would probably have been shut out of the NHL for a long time going forward.

Houston could be a good market but there's a lot standing in the way of them getting a team.

I think they should have gotten one first too, but Bettman has some weird stance against anymore franchises in Canada. If he's going to force another one in a weird area in the US, Vegas is a cool place and I think it might surprise some people with the support they receive.
For a couple years maybe. Once that new team shine wears off, we'll see what happens.

Red_Man

Prospective owners say they'll commit to youth hockey in Las Vegas, including development of rinks & hockey programs if team is granted.
If they get the support they need, next round of expansion is expected to be implemented in the 2016-2017 season.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Kave learns how to play hockey SPECIAL UPDATE!!!

First please open this link and play it in the background as you read below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3h3sp1l_Fo

Hello friends,

I have just got back home and I can say today that I have just finished my last hockey school session. I have officially "graduated" from hockey school!!!!

10 weeks of learning all the basics, bonding with my teammates and overall having tons of fun. I can't say that I am now a super duper player but I can say I am a lot better. I am skating a lot smoother, I can make sharp turns. I still can't stop well but I can skate backwards a few meters and frankly I am amazed by that.

With hockey school now over, next week I begin the next step; we now play actual real live games. Not shinny, but actually games with refs and proper line changes and everything.

That said today we ran a few drills and then ran some organized shinny for 40 minutes straight tonight. The problem my team had was we only had 7 guys tonight, so needless to say we were exhausted but my teammates, boy are they amazing. After 10 minutes we were already up 5-0 and from there we were able to coast for the remainder of the time.

Remember how I just said my teammates are amazing? They really are. Once we were up they kept trying to get me the puck to give me a chance to score. I didn't end up scoring but I was able to take a nice wrister in the slot that the goalie deflected off his shoulder. I had another chance right next to the net at point blank but fanned on the pass. It was a drastic improvement over the first shinny I took part in, I was able to get the puck, I was able to keep possession and I didn't feel like I was holding us back much.

I played mostly left wing tonight with a few shifts at center and 1 or 2 on defense. I'm more motivated then when I started now. I want to be able to help this team out, I want to be able to do my role.

As always I'll keep you guys updated as I continue to go along, we have 7 games coming up and then a big tournament to end the season in mid April.

cat-graduation-cap-gown-15930306.jpg

I hope you show up to the rink wearing your best suit.

Kave learns how to play hockey SPECIAL UPDATE!!!

First please open this link and play it in the background as you read below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3h3sp1l_Fo

Hello friends,

I have just got back home and I can say today that I have just finished my last hockey school session. I have officially "graduated" from hockey school!!!!

10 weeks of learning all the basics, bonding with my teammates and overall having tons of fun. I can't say that I am now a super duper player but I can say I am a lot better. I am skating a lot smoother, I can make sharp turns. I still can't stop well but I can skate backwards a few meters and frankly I am amazed by that.

With hockey school now over, next week I begin the next step; we now play actual real live games. Not shinny, but actually games with refs and proper line changes and everything.

That said today we ran a few drills and then ran some organized shinny for 40 minutes straight tonight. The problem my team had was we only had 7 guys tonight, so needless to say we were exhausted but my teammates, boy are they amazing. After 10 minutes we were already up 5-0 and from there we were able to coast for the remainder of the time.

Remember how I just said my teammates are amazing? They really are. Once we were up they kept trying to get me the puck to give me a chance to score. I didn't end up scoring but I was able to take a nice wrister in the slot that the goalie deflected off his shoulder. I had another chance right next to the net at point blank but fanned on the pass. It was a drastic improvement over the first shinny I took part in, I was able to get the puck, I was able to keep possession and I didn't feel like I was holding us back much.

I played mostly left wing tonight with a few shifts at center and 1 or 2 on defense. I'm more motivated then when I started now. I want to be able to help this team out, I want to be able to do my role.

As always I'll keep you guys updated as I continue to go along, we have 7 games coming up and then a big tournament to end the season in mid April.

cat-graduation-cap-gown-15930306.jpg

Kave getting experience in so he can lead the NHL-GAF hockey team. We play other forums.

Probably a big part of why they're ratings are down so much this year.

I think so.

Looking at the past 3-4 months of Rogers' broadcasts, it's kind of insane what they think Canadians want to see. 4-5 nights of the same guys, in suits, on the same hyper-blue sets, shout-talking about hockey.

I'd like for Rogers to attempt a Football Weekly (UK) style show, at least for weekday games. One host, 2-3 guests, a couple couches and an interactive tv for the fancy smancy stuff. It's actually not that dissimilar to what Strombo used with his successful interview show.

Red_Man

I think so.

Looking at the past 3-4 months of Rogers' broadcasts, it's kind of insane what they think Canadians want to see. 4-5 nights of the same guys, in suits, on the same hyper-blue sets, shout-talking about hockey.

I'd like for Rogers to attempt a Football Weekly (UK) style show, at least for weekday games. One host, 2-3 guests, a couple couches and an interactive tv for the fancy smancy stuff. It's actually not that dissimilar to what Strombo used with his successful interview show.
Kypreos & crew along with Sportsnet have always been seen as second tier compared to TSN. The crew at TSN was funny and actually had some intelligence. Forcing the Sportsnet shit on us along with spreading games over 5-6 different channels isn't helping at all.

Hockey Night In Canada doesn't have that warm fuzzy feeling anymore :<

Oh and Sportsnet Connected sucks, they're presenters seem like robots.

At least Hockeycentral at Noon is still good.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I could've used some more unscripted TSN moments, as a lot of the time they were basically just reading a script they had prepared prior to taping, but their broadcasts were still more fun than the drab shit Sportsnet airs.

Agreed.It feels...gross. When Rogers Took over.. Everything went to shit. You hire a host which probably doesn't have any idea about hockey in general and it makes the entire show feel uncomfortable(sorry strombo, please be the host of Q soon, that's where you're needed buddy).

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe they let go of the guy who did the CBC montages, WTF were they thinking?

The playoffs won't be the same this year :(

Red_Man

Oh and Sportsnet Connected sucks, they're presenters seem like robots.

At least Hockeycentral at Noon is still good.
Duthie, Deger, McKenzie, Ward, Ferraro, Miller, LeBrun, etc > Millard, Kypreos, Maclean, Healy, Cox, Strombo, Shannon, ANIEC. TSN's crew was in another league compared to the shit we deal with on a daily basis now. Not to mention TSN's productions were much better. Every single aspect of the move has been a downgrade.

Can't believe they let go of the guy who did the CBC montages, WTF were they thinking?

The playoffs won't be the same this year :(
Who needs amazing and emotional montages when we get Sportsnets stock footage along with movie trailer commentary.

Vegas is going to be a money pit like Phoenix soon enough. Winnipeg is fine as an NHL market. It's small but it still pulls in way more money than a lot of the US franchises.

If Quebec had their new arena 5 years ago, I think they would have gotten the Thrashers instead of Winnipeg. Winnipeg would probably have been shut out of the NHL for a long time going forward.

Vegas will probably be fine: there are a lot of Canadians who'd be more than happy to roll an NHL game into their Vegas-to-do list. Especially if it's easier to get tickets than it is in their home city.

And Quebec? I used to think it was a sure bet as soon as they had their arena finished. But now I think with the volatile CAD, PKP going into separatist politics (does anyone buy his assurances that it won't be an issue?), and the advent of Seattle and Vegas as potential expansion/relocation cities, any chance that city had of is now long gone.

Red_Man

TSNBobMcKenzie says on @TSN1050Radio that the asking price for Cody Franson is apparently a 1st Round Pick and a prospect. #Leafs
umksbygj.gif

Is this Franson we're talking about or OEL? I'd love to hear other GM's reactions when Nonis tells them that.

Montresor

umksbygj.gif

Is this Franson we're talking about or OEL? I'd love to hear other GM's reactions when Nonis tells them that.

Saving this post for later
aka for when trade deadline passes with no Franson deal and Nonis signs him for 5 years at $5.5 million per year

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Winnipeg had everything ready long before Quebec did, AND they need to balance the conferences, which is why Winnipeg, despite Quick's hate, should've gotten it first. Additionally, they have massive financial backing as well, which should help and prevent them from losing the franchise again...unlike Atlanta.

I don't see how they can give Quebec a team if they don't ship the Daniel Red Wings back to the West as well.

I DON'T CARE, CRAZED, GET YO FUCKIN PUNK ASS BACK THERE! >: (

Vegas makes sense by providing another team in the West. However, I have a lot of misgivings about putting a team there...

Top Bottom