• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Pikma

Banned
Montreal treatment was always farfetched since it's also the NHL's 100th and the 50th for the original expansion teams

I am surprised Chicago gets the draft though, since they aren't really celebrating anything?

If not Toronto, it ought to be Dallas, right?
The league doesn't give a shit about Dallas

Also, my long trip to Alicante is about to begin, wish me luck you fuckers

If McDavid and Eberle can get 5 points apiece, imagine how many points McDavid and Matthews will get together

catching up after falling asleep and coming across this :'(

These oilers announcers talking about Roman Polak being one of the NHL's hidden gems on defense, saying how many hits he has thrown and shots he has blocked

Sportsnt pls.

giphy.gif

I've had some time to think about it...

But I think I finally forgive Garbutt, and like having him on our team.

It only took him and Perron to shoulder the offense. And for him to have zero boneheaded thuggery, no PIM since being traded and me making peace with the past.

I dare say - I'm glad Garbutt is a Duck.

Thank you.

We took the Mighty Jackets to the brink and almost stole a win. Can't be ashamed. Can't be.

When will these Game 7s stop?

Took 16 tries of running the draft simulator to get the Wild in the top 3. Toronto took first. Wild second, Sabres 3rd. I'd be more than okay with this.

EDIT: Now three of the next 4 had the Wild in the top 3. Interesting.

EDIT2: Wild ended up in the top three a total of 9/100 times when I ran it. Those are really rough odds. In descending order of most top three picks:

Buffalo (57)
Toronto (45)
Columbus (40)
Edmonton (36) - but ran away with #1 picks, with 19 - closest behind was 14.
Calgary (29)

Solo

Pretty goddamn amazing what Ovechkin has accomplished in being only the third player (behind Gretzky and Gartner) to score 30+ goals in each of his first 11 seasons in such a goal-starved, offensively anemic era. That's what you call a generational talent.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
uh oh Dean Blundell is citing his "sources" again this time saying how the Leafs will get Stamkos.

So looks like we aren't getting Stamkos...ah well.

cube444

Pretty goddamn amazing what Ovechkin has accomplished in being only the third player (behind Gretzky and Gartner) to score 30+ goals in each of his first 11 seasons in such a goal-starved, offensively anemic era. That's what you call a generational talent.

And imagine if he was Canadian! His balls would have been eroded by now due to the excessive media sack lathering. Many people still dislike him merely because he is a Russian.

If he hits 50 this season, that will be his 7th season of 50 or more. He also had 32 goals in 48 games during the shortened season so we might have been looking at 8 seasons of 50 or more. Only Gretzky and Bossy with 9 each would have more. Not taking anything away from those latter two but hitting 50 is way more meaningful today when Ovechkin is basically the only player seemingly capable of doing it.

In Gretzky/Bossy era you had guys like Blaine Stoughton, Wayne Babych, Rick Kehoe, Al Secord, Mike Bullard, John Ogrodnick, Bobby Carpenter, etc, etc, etc, hitting 50 goals. Heck, even a stiff like Gary fucking Leeman hit 50 goals.

You'd never see that in today's game.

Solo

And imagine if he was Canadian! His balls would have been eroded by now due to the excessive media sack lathering. Many people still dislike him merely because he is a Russian.

If he hits 50 this season, that will be his 7th season of 50 or more. He also had 32 goals in 48 games during the shortened season so we might have been looking at 8 seasons of 50 or more. Only Gretzky and Bossy with 9 each would have more. Not taking anything away from those latter two but hitting 50 is way more meaningful today when Ovechkin is basically the only player seemingly capable of doing it.

In Gretzky/Bossy era you had guys like Blaine Stoughton, Wayne Babych, Rick Kehoe, Al Secord, Mike Bullard, John Ogrodnick, Bobby Carpenter, etc, etc, etc, hitting 50 goals. Heck, even a stiff like Gary fucking Leeman hit 50 goals.

Agreed completely, and I think Ovi could top 50 another couple times, which is fucking insane in an era where we are getting Art Ross winners with less than 100 points.

I also could see Ovi possibly becoming the 8th member of the 700 goal club, joining Gretzky, Howe, Hull, Jagr, Dionne, Esposito and Gartner, all of whom again played in eras where goals were at a surplus. To me, it's not Crosby who is the best player of his era, it's Ovechkin.

yyzjohn

Banned
Agreed completely, and I think Ovi could top 50 another couple times, which is fucking insane in an era where we are getting Art Ross winners with less than 100 points.

I also could see Ovi possibly becoming the 8th member of the 700 goal club, joining Gretzky, Howe, Hull, Jagr, Dionne, Esposito and Gartner, all of whom again played in eras where goals were at a surplus. To me, it's not Crosby who is the best player of his era, it's Ovechkin.

You two need to get a room with this Ovechkin love :)

KingBroly

Banned

The League overlooks Ovi too much in regards to marketing. Why? I dunno. To them, it's all about who's on the Kings, Blackhawks and Rangers, in addition to Bettman's boy, Crosby.

Solo

A guy at work just told me that he heard on Sirius radio that Price was done for the season and needing MCL surgery. Haven't seen it reported yet myself though. Wouldn't be surprising if true, just frustrating if they dicked around for 3 months instead of just going under the knife straight away.

But like I said, I strangely havent seen it reported yet.

calder

A guy at work just told me that he heard on Sirius radio that Price was done for the season and needing MCL surgery. Haven't seen it reported yet myself though. Wouldn't be surprising if true, just frustrating if they dicked around for 3 months instead of just going under the knife straight away.

But like I said, I strangely havent seen it reported yet.
La Presse puts it all on the line says high chance Price done for year; says not being honest for marketing reasons.
La Presse

Whoa, that is actually kinda plausible no? Considering how it's already getting late in the season and his status is so vague.

Solo

Like I said, I'm not upset if he's done (because this team is a dud and going nowhere with or without him) for the season, but that if this is indeed true, he could have had the surgery months ago and be 2 months into recovery already and definitely be 100% for next season.

La Presse

Whoa, that is actually kinda plausible no? Considering how it's already getting late in the season and his status is so vague.

Watch us ride Scribbles to the playoffs.

Price will not need surgery which is a good thing.

RIP Montreal's season. Build a team that doesn't rely on your goaltender pulling miracles out of his ass every night next time.

That's why we're Bringing Stamkos to Montreal

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan McDonagh was on the ice this morning on his own, no real equipment other than stick and helmet, took a few shots.

Somewhat promising, but obviously he's not going to be back tonight and seems pretty unlikely for Sunday.

Socreges

Banned

I know more people that dislike Crosby than people who dislike Ovi.

The League overlooks Ovi too much in regards to marketing. Why? I dunno. To them, it's all about who's on the Kings, Blackhawks and Rangers, in addition to Bettman's boy, Crosby.
You dunno? He's ugly and has bad English. Doesn't help that he's Russian and a nationalist at that.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like tonight may be the classic goaltender confrontation you always expect from Kings vs. Rangers: Peter Budaj vs. Antti Raanta.

The marketing aspect of this Price situation is the dumbest. Not wanting to publically admit he's done jsnt't fooling anyone in a market like Montreal. Actual Habs fans are hoping and waiting for next season. Everyone else is seemIngly either attending for attendings sake. Or is a fan of the visiting team.

Orca

Seriously is there precedent for the amount of talent Edmonton is squandering every day they're not trading away everyone? Like this can't have happened before to this magnitude right?

All the years Toronto had everyone they needed for a Cup run but a goalie? The years Vancouver had all the skill, none of the grit? The Sharks...forever?

Top Bottom