• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Considering how many Canadian teams might get into the playoffs, we might get nuked like the NBA thread come playoff time.

Playoffs are going to be special this year. After a post season with lowered sodium content thanks to no Canadian teams there seems to be a built up excess looming ...

If this continues this is going to be a special, special year and I can't wait to yell at you fucks about it.

Cactus

Banned
Bergevin and the whole coaching staff are probably gone unless the Habs win a couple of playoff rounds this year, so it's time to go fucking all in. Sergachev, Juulson, Galchenyuk, high picks are all expendable. Gotta win a cup before price asks for $10m

Pikma

Banned
The way I see it playoffs are kinda overrated, early summer vacations is where it's at

I cannot wait to see what destination John Klingberg chooses this year. Will he return to Malaga for the third time in a row? Man, I'm excited

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bergevin and the whole coaching staff are probably gone unless the Habs win a couple of playoff rounds this year, so it's time to go fucking all in. Sergachev, Juulson, Galchenyuk, high picks are all expendable. Gotta win a cup before price asks for $10m
Leafs fan recommending the Habs throw away all of their young players / prospects? 🤔

imBask

Banned
I mean, Hanzal usually only plays like 50 games per season and we only need him for 20 or so right

reece.JPG

yyzjohn

Banned
Considering how many Canadian teams might get into the playoffs, we might get nuked like the NBA thread come playoff time.

I'm wavering on the Leafs now. I came into this season thinking they had 0 chance of making the playoffs, then by January I thought they had a great chance of making it, now I'm 50/50 on the chances. If they don't string together some wins soon I can see it all falling apart and my September evaluation being correct.

imBask

Banned
It won't be an alternative fact when our braindead GM trades Galchenyuk + Juulsen + 2016 1st for Duchene in the next 2 weeks.

sure.

You're basing this on his non-existant track record of making trades that stupid?

his worst trades weren't even in the same ballpark as something that stupid and the only "big" trade he made was a 1 for 1, that we arguably lost but that is debatable. Get your head outta your ass, Marinaro

if your going to shit on Bergevin, shit on him for the trades he never made

yyzjohn

Banned
sure.

You're basing this on his non-existant track record of making trades that stupid?

his worst trades weren't even in the same ballpark as something that stupid and the only "big" trade he made was a 1 for 1, that we arguably lost but that is debatable. Get your head outta your ass, Marinaro

Bergevin has been on the job for a few years now. His time is running out to make a splash and he'll feel the heat. Given that the team is floundering for a 2nd straight season he might try and make a huge deal to shake things up and save his job. That's how the worst deals are made, by a desperate GM who knows his ass is on the line.

Curufinwe

You gotta save more than 90% of your shots against if you want to get paid.

We actually have two goalies who haven't done over two thirds of the season. Not surprisingly, neither of them have been extended.

Mason - .900 (was .918 last year)
Neuvirth - .897 (was .924 last year)

imBask

Banned
Bergevin has been on the job for a few years now. His time is running out to make a splash and he'll feel the heat. Given that the team is floundering for a 2nd straight season he might try and make a huge deal to shake things up and save his job. That's how the worst deals are made, by a desperate GM who knows his ass is on the line.

but until that's a reality i'll stick to what we know, and what we know is that he's a big pussy when it comes to trading important, non-Subban assets

I can recall at least 2-3 times where he showed up in a press conference angry that some other dumb GM made a ridiculous offer to undercut him, he's like that

Red_Man

I honestly don't think Bergevin's ass is on the line in any way. If they do a 1st / 2nd round exit, Therrien is gone, and Bergevin will get a chance with another coach.

I'm wavering on the Leafs now. I came into this season thinking they had 0 chance of making the playoffs, then by January I thought they had a great chance of making it, now I'm 50/50 on the chances. If they don't string together some wins soon I can see it all falling apart and my September evaluation being correct.
This second half of the season so compressed and with so many rookies will be a big test. Even if they make it, the playoff grind will be rough.

sure.

This is true, for the most part he's done very well on the trade front. His biggest issue has been not filling in that 2nd line C position which has been a blatant need for a while now.

Solo

sure.

This is eerily similar to the Subban situation and I believe it's going to play out the same way.

2012/2015: Subban/Galchenyuk's ELC ends. Player asks for X dollars and Y term. Bergevin beats the player down to a 2 year bridge deal below market value, and publicly berates the player ("Subban has to play the right way"/"Galchenyuk may never play centre")

2013/2016: One year into the bridge deal, both players have career years, Subban wins Norris/Galchenyuk scores 30 goals.

2014/2017: In the second year of the bridge deal, both players again produce, Subban gets a Norris nom/Galchenyuk is as high as Top 5 in scoring before his injury. Then the following summer, Bergevin and Subban go to war again, Bergevin finally only caving when the owner steps in. You can be damn sure that this would happen again this summer with Galchenyuk, but I don't think it's going to get that far. He's not the bonafide star (yet anyways) that Subban is, and it's abundantly clear when I watch the games that Therrien doesn't like the player, much like Subban. On top of all of that, throw in the historic collapse of last year, this year's mini collapse, the pressure to win now in the wake of the Subban trade, and yeah....I smell that something is up here.

And for the record, Bergevin's worst move wasn't a trade, it was how he handled the Subban situation in 2012, again in 2014, and again in 2016.

Solo

And don't get me wrong, Duchene is a much more proven player, isn't that much older, and has a good contract. So obviously I'd love to have him. But my problem is I don't know if I believe that the team is any better with Duchene than with AGally. Duchene will be fed the same spare part wingers that Galchenyuk has had.

Personally I'd rather land a winger to put with AGally than trade centre for centre.

imBask

Banned
This is eerily similar to the Subban situation and I believe it's going to play out the same way.

2012/2015: Subban/Galchenyuk's ELC ends. Player asks for X dollars and Y term. Bergevin beats the player down to a 2 year bridge deal below market value, and publicly berates the player ("Subban has to play the right way"/"Galchenyuk may never play centre")

2013/2016: One year into the bridge deal, both players have career years, Subban wins Norris/Galchenyuk scores 30 goals.

2014/2017: In the second year of the bridge deal, both players again produce, Subban gets a Norris nom/Galchenyuk is as high as Top 5 in scoring before his injury. Then the following summer, Bergevin and Subban go to war again, Bergevin finally only caving when the owner steps in. You can be damn sure that this would happen again this summer with Galchenyuk, but I don't think it's going to get that far. He's not the bonafide star (yet anyways) that Subban is, and it's abundantly clear when I watch the games that Therrien doesn't like the player, much like Subban. On top of all of that, throw in the historic collapse of last year, this year's mini collapse, the pressure to win now in the wake of the Subban trade, and yeah....I smell that something is up here.

And for the record, Bergevin's worst move wasn't a trade, it was how he handled the Subban situation in 2012, again in 2014, and again in 2016.

I honestly think you're comparing apple an oranges here, Subban's problem with the team were waaaaaaaaay beyond just Therrien not liking him. The management had issues with him on the ice, off the ice, in the TV studios, in the clubs, on social medias, in the locker room, etc

Galchenyuk is just a good center and Therrien doesn't like him because he's streaky and he apparently doesn't want to do overtime in the gym

i'd bet easy money on Galchenyuk not being traded, you guys are just panicking. And yes the Subban situation was poorly managed, I agree

And don't get me wrong, Duchene is a much more proven player, isn't that much older, and has a good contract. So obviously I'd love to have him. But my problem is I don't know if I believe that the team is any better with Duchene than with AGally. Duchene will be fed the same spare part wingers that Galchenyuk has had.

Personally I'd rather land a winger to put with AGally than trade centre for centre.

I would say JVR but if he does get traded I really hope it's out of the division. I just know he'd kill the Leafs every time they play (not that the Habs needs any help killing the Leafs)

Red_Man

AGally for Duchene is pointless because it still leaves us with 1 top six center and 18 bottom six centers.

Landeskog will look so handsome in a habs uniform

Red_Man

Wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin went and got Landeskog instead of Duchene after all this speculation, Landeskog is as much as a Bergevin type player as there is. Physical, leadership, gritty, blah blah.

yyzjohn

Banned
Actually to be fair to Dopey he wasn't the only one on the Marincin train when we got him, I shouldn't single him out on that one.

Fancy stats nerds helped propagate that alternative fact.

Examples like this show that fancy stats still have a bit of a ways to go before maturing. I have no idea why the advanced stats guys love Marincin, he looks horrible out there.

Solo

Landeskog will look so handsome in a habs uniform

I'd actualy like to see this happen rather than Duchene. Then we could roll

Patches-Danault (I hate that he's here, but MT loves him so he's not going anywhere)-Radulov
BGally-AGally-Landeskog

Or Lehkonen-AGally-Landeskog since BGally looks like a shell of his former self this year.

imBask

Banned
Examples like this show that fancy stats still have a bit of a ways to go before maturing. I have no idea why the advanced stats guys love Marincin, he looks horrible out there.

nah it just shows that people have to stop assuming that "good advanced stats = good at hockey"

IMO it's just as bad as people who keep hammering that we should bring back Andrei Kostitsyn because "he scored 20-25 goals"

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

See I can't agree with that because it somehow tries to single out "see fancy stats and corsi don't mean shit" meanwhile we have a lifetime of proof the old way fails us just as much.

Reckheim

He compliments a skilled puck moving defense man quite well as he stays in his zone and usually somehow manages to put his stick in the right place (while looking like a clown doing it).

As soon as you put him on the third line with a less skilled defensman the real Marincin shows him self (he is forced to actually try and make a play out of his zone). The problem being is that he isn't good enough to be on the first or second line and he gets exposed on the third line. So in theory he belongs in the AHL unfortunately.

Top Bottom