• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Nice. Hope he stays relatively healthy - I know he's had some back issues.

5.5 to 6 mil seems fair. Anything under that I would consider a bargain to be honest.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

"Edler deal in Vancouver: $30 M over 6 years"

Wow. What a steal!

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

#NHL signing. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a 6yr/ 30M type of deal for #Canucks Alex Edler. Van didn't have much choice on this one
Expand

4m

Vancouver Canucks Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks

Vancouver # Canucks re-sign defenceman Alex Edler to six-year deal: http://bit.ly/107O64t
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie 18s

Pierre LeBrun Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Edler deal in Vancouver: $30 M over 6 years

LOL.....Kypper scooped .....bottom to top

Crazed, we both know you guys will be crushed into a bloody pulp by the other teams in the Central Division this year. The upside is that your players already are so old they're tube-fed. So it won't be a big change for them.

Just be grateful you'll have Columbus to keep you guys company down there.

You'll be joining us seeing as how Crawford hasn't realized that you are supposed to keep pucks out of your own net, not in them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who do the fans blame....The Habs or PK?
From what I've read it's been pretty polarizing. I personally don't blame him for what he's doing, and I don't really blame Bergevin either, it's one of his first few big moves as a GM and he has to set a standard.

Socreges

Banned
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

#NHL signing. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see a 6yr/ 30M type of deal for #Canucks Alex Edler. Van didn't have much choice on this one
Expand

4m

Vancouver Canucks Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks

Vancouver # Canucks re-sign defenceman Alex Edler to six-year deal: http://bit.ly/107O64t
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie 18s

Pierre LeBrun Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Edler deal in Vancouver: $30 M over 6 years

LOL.....Kypper scooped .....bottom to top
He says it like that isn't a great deal..

Real pleased.

CCF23

that means canucks would have 6 roster spots to fill with under $4 million in capspace for next year

yikes

Luongo will be traded and Ballard bought out, as mentioned. Even if salary is taken back on the Luongo deal, still have to think those two moves will free up somewhere around $5 million or more.

We're fine for cap space. We can also swap Malhotra out for someone cheaper (Lapierre is fine as the #3C role), and we can replace Raymond. Canucks have tons of options when it comes to cap.

CCF23

I'd be frightened as a Habs fan to see a guy like Edler, who was set to be an impending UFA, who has a 49 point NHL season, and who has been a top pairing D man on a team that went to the Cup Final accept a contract like this while Subban, who has proven far less, and is an RFA is reportedly commanding as much or more than that.

GMMG has done a great job of getting his own guys to take less than market value. Definitely his biggest strength as GM.

Solo

Who do the fans blame....The Habs or PK?

Neither gets all the blame, but I side more with the club here than the player. Montreal has established a precedent for 2 year bridge contracts coming out of ELC. Price got one, Pacioretty got one. Both got through them and now have their big deals. It sends the wrong message to have PK be an exception.

GMMG has done a great job of getting his own guys to take less than market value. Definitely his biggest strength as GM.

Except for that one contract.

I don't think the term is necessarily the problem for Subban, but the amount. Montreal has barely any cap room as it is, so it's likely that Bergevin has been offering 1.5 to 2.5 million per. PK, effectively being the face of the franchise and its top defenseman, is worth more than that.

Red_Man

Therefore, PK must do the right thing and sign an undervalued, short-term deal - and continue to play 30 minutes a game.
Exactly. Subban has proven a lot more then either Price or Pacioretty had when they signed their 2 year deals.

Solo

What you do is sign PK to the 2 year bridge deal, but you pay him more than Price/Patches got. Price was around $2.5M, and Im not sure about Patches. Give Subban 2 years, $3.5M-$4M per.

Wow, that's a borderline, if not outright steal for Edler, given the d-man market, especially when you look at what guys like Carle and Wideman were just signed for.

Red_Man

It sends the wrong message to have PK be an exception.
It sends the message that if you're a #1 D at 23 then you're going to get paid, and the club wants you long term. Bealieu, Tinordi, Gallagher etc aren't going to be as good as he is, and won't be able to demand this kind of contract.

Quick

Banned
I'm already tasting some salt in here.

iNYjJrZsSBF4l.gif

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
10 hours of hockey tomorrow and it shall be GLORIOUS!!! 12pm-10pm, I will not leave my place except to get a pizza.

Watch the Pens/Flyers game at 12, switch over to HNIC to watch the Leafs/Habs first period and Coach's Corner, then Wings/Blues at 5pm, then back to HNIC to catch the end of Nucks/Ducks.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Therefore, PK must do the right thing and sign an undervalued, short-term deal - and continue to play 30 minutes a game.

That's a fair contract for Edler.

He'll get his money when the Habs have Gomez off the books. Montreal traded Halak before Price signed his deal, and had nobody else in the organization close to being an NHL goalie, he managed to sign a short term deal. They have 3.7 in cap space right now.

He'll get his money when the Habs have Gomez off the books. Montreal traded Halak before Price signed his deal, and had nobody else in the organization close to being an NHL goalie, he managed to sign a short term deal. They have 3.7 in cap space right now.

So he's going to sit out this season, is what you're saying.

Red_Man

10 hours of hockey tomorrow and it shall be GLORIOUS!!! 12pm-10pm, I will not leave my place except to get a pizza.

Watch the Pens/Flyers game at 12, switch over to HNIC to watch the Leafs/Habs first period and Coach's Corner, then Wings/Blues at 5pm, then back to HNIC to catch the end of Nucks/Ducks.
Pens / Flyers is at 3 isn't it?

Chris R

Assuming Center Ice is similarly priced to Game Center which is the superior service? Center Ice is doing a free preview for the rest of the month so I don't have to decide right away but some help from this thread would be nice!

Stasis

Assuming Center Ice is similarly priced to Game Center which is the superior service? Center Ice is doing a free preview for the rest of the month so I don't have to decide right away but some help from this thread would be nice!

Really depends on your needs...

CI has better overall quality, or at least consistency in it. GCL is more flexible... PC, PS3, Apps, etc.

edit: For GCL I'd also recommend you have a fast and stable connection.

Chris R

Really depends on your needs...

CI has better overall quality, or at least consistency in it. GCL is more flexible... PC, PS3, Apps, etc.

edit: For GCL I'd also recommend you have a fast and stable connection.

I have 15/1 connection so I think that should be fast enough. Hoping GCL does a free preview weekend or something so I can compare them head to head.

A bonus for GCL is that I'd be able to watch/listen to some of the earlier Avs games at work at the end of the day... And that price is hard to resist.

I have 15/1 connection so I think that should be fast enough. Hoping GCL does a free preview weekend or something so I can compare them head to head.

I think the 'basic' version is free on both PS3/360. You can get a good idea by watching the truncated versions of last season's games.

Cagey

Banned
Seven hours until the Islanders trolling begins, the Devils fan says to all Devils and Islanders fans reading (probably zero).

1ovnm1.gif

Top Bottom