• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Ironically, the owner felt he would have more success in Carolina then he would in Hartford. Admittingly Hartford likely would have moved regardless since those numbers are still bad (not to mention being sandwiched between Boston and New York) but in hindsight, he probably could have picked a better city.

There were rumors that Karmanos wanted to drop the team in The Palace of Auburn Hills before Bettman stepped in.

But even back then, there were better markets even in the south Karmanos could've gone to aside from Raleigh (Charlotte included).

There were rumors that Karmanos wanted to drop the team in The Palace of Auburn Hills before Bettman stepped in.

But even back then, there were better markets even in the south Karmanos could've gone to aside from Raleigh (Charlotte included).

Two teams in Detroit. Hard to imagine that happening.

But yeah, Karmanos could have picked a much better city to move the Whalers. Houston, Seattle, Charlotte, even Norfolk would have likely been better options.

Would have made a lot more sense to move them to Chicago and give them a second team over Detroit if they would have gone to the midwest

calder

Leafs Lunch ran the lottery simulator today

1. Edmonton
2. Buffalo
3. Winnipeg

Oh god I wish. The thrill of getting a top 3 pick would almost be enough to make me ignore the fucking Oilers Oilering up the lottery with their bullshit again.

I don't even know who I'd be hoping 'dropped' to third, Laine or Puljujarvi. Both are so fucking exciting.

I just did my lottery simulation and it was

Columbus
Calgary
Toronto

I got:

Edmonton
Calgary
Buffalo

Also I don't get why we aren't on the simulator. People think we actually are making the playoffs for sure?

Second run:

Calgary
Toronto
Vancouver

I have now ran it like 5 times and have yet to get the BJs in the top 3 :lol

LevelNth

Banned
No matter what Bergevin does or doesn't do next, isn't it pretty much out of the question to fire him? Didn't he sign a huge extension last season?

imBask

Banned
you people actually think the lottery isn't rigged :lol :lol :lol

Edmonton is winning it again.

tumblr_inline_nqn0yqbK4z1qgdhmm_500.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
From Sportsnet:

Habs NHL ranks since Dec. 1

Record 5-15-1 (30th)
Goals/gm 1.86 (T-29th)
S% 5.7 (30th)
PP% 10.6 (29th)
Goal diff -23 (30th)
SV% .888 (29th)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No matter what Bergevin does or doesn't do next, isn't it pretty much out of the question to fire him? Didn't he sign a huge extension last season?
Not to mention it's just plain idiotic. He hasn't pulled a Gauthier and given away a star player for nothing, his biggest flaw is his loyalty to Therrien who has one of the best records in the league and not giving up enough for a top 6 winger.

Ducks could give up one these defencemen for Drouin. Not sure if they would though.

Despres (aged 24)
Fowler (24)
Lindholm (21)
Theodore (20)
Vatanen (24)

Fowler and Lindholm probably not. Open to the possibilities of the others. Throw in Brandon Montour who has emerged as a great D prospect.

Vatanen is more likely because he's ready now and is due a raise that we may not be able to afford. His offense can be filled in with Theodore

LevelNth

Banned
Not to mention it's just plain idiotic. He hasn't pulled a Gauthier and given away a star player for nothing, his biggest flaw is his loyalty to Therrien who has one of the best records in the league and not giving up enough for a top 6 winger.
There is a big talent deficiency on the team and it's been pretty consistent where for a couple years now, and it's certainly not just one player away.

It's going to be very interesting to see what he does in the next five weeks, or if he even considers it worth it this season or instead writes off the year and waits until the summer. It'll only be two more seasons at that point til Price gets a massive, massive payday.

Solo

Are we forgetting that he played chicken with Subban and lost and that we now pay $9M a year to a guy on pace for 5 goals?

(yes, I'm understating his value to make a point, which is that we could have had him long term at $6M per in 2012 if Bergevin hadn't played hardball)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Are we forgetting that he played chicken with Subban and lost and that we now pay $9M a year to a guy on pace for 5 goals?

(yes, I'm understating his value to make a point, which is that we could have had him long term at $6M per in 2012 if Bergevin hadn't played hardball)
He definitely fucked that up and I said so then, but he still got it done. If Subban and Price swapped placed this season and Subban was injured I guarantee we would be bottom 3 pick.

You guys will win tomorrow, guaranteed

The leafs record in philly over the last 30 years is hilariously bad

True. But last night was a big game for us but we do really need to beat you tomorrow if we are going to push for the playoffs. We play Pitt, NYI, Bruns, and then the Caps. So we have a really important stretch of games coming up and beating you will help in that regard.

Foggy

I have now ran it like 5 times and have yet to get the BJs in the top 3 :lol

Pretty much why my eyes bleed whenever anyone brings up Matthews in regards to the Johansen trade. Even assuming Columbus stays at the bottom, luck could just as easily push them out of the top 3, let alone Matthews.

Pretty much why my eyes bleed whenever anyone brings up Matthews in regards to the Johansen trade. Even assuming Columbus stays at the bottom, luck could just as easily push them out of the top 3, let alone Matthews.

Well no matter who you take, they will just be traded in a couple years anyway

I'm sorry foggy

Fowler and Lindholm probably not. Open to the possibilities of the others. Throw in Brandon Montour who has emerged as a great D prospect.

Vatanen is more likely because he's ready now and is due a raise that we may not be able to afford. His offense can be filled in with Theodore

Either way, that's an embarrassment of young talent the Ducks have on their blueline. I don't know if any of them have Norris potential, but 6 very good defencemen could offset that.

Canucks are now 10th-worst and only have a 3.5% chance at the top 3 pick. Henrik's out, but Sutter is skating again.

Razorskin

----- ------

That whole debacle was embarrassing, made Bergevin look terrible AND got bent over in the end anyway for all this trouble.

Either way, that's an embarrassment of young talent the Ducks have on their blueline. I don't know if any of them have Norris potential, but 6 very good defencemen could offset that.

Canucks are now 10th-worst and only have a 3.5% chance at the top 3 pick. Henrik's out, but Sutter is skating again.

Fowler and Lindholm have the potential to be Norris type defensemen, Despres is a solid 2-4 D-Man (thanks JR), and Vatanen is a small but highly offensively skilled. I wish more players played like him, he's like 5'10" but plays fearless. Theodore has looked good so far but just in sheltered minutes

Top Bottom