• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Lourio

sad-habs_design.png

Michel's press conference after the game. Link

I don't know anymore... I strongly believe that getting rid of Therrien is not the answer.

imBask

Banned
Thank you. I know there are those that worship at the altar of TT, because he "found" Gallagher late and other such things, but every team has found gems in late rounds. I don't think Timmins is a scab or anything, but he's an average scout, not a god.

every single scout get lucky at some point and find some late round gem. His 1st pick track record is abysmal when compared to players who get drafted after our picks

Solo

every single scout get lucky at some point and find some late round gem. His 1st pick track record is abysmal when compared to players who get drafter after our 1st pick every year

I couldn't agree more. Aside from Price and Galchenyuk, both of which were picks anyone would have made, Habs have mostly drafted terribly in the first round for 15 years now. dat David Fisher. dat Louis LeBlanc.

zroid

Banned
I don't know anymore... I strongly believe that getting rid of Therrien is not the answer.

The hard reality is coaches have very little impact on shooting %, which is the Habs' problem right now. Last year Therrien was definitely the biggest issue, but I don't think you can say that anymore. The players are just going to have to figure out how to put the puck in the net -- it will happen eventually, but there's no telling how long it will take to get out of this slump. You guys are just going to have to grind it out.
;)

imBask

Banned
I couldn't agree more. Aside from Price and Galchenyuk, both of which were picks anyone would have made, Habs have mostly drafted terribly in the first round for 15 years now. dat David Fisher. dat Louis LeBlanc.

My favorite argument is "BUT LOUIS LEBLANC WASN'T HIS PICK"

fuck
off

we all saw the god damn paper, his name was there

Victor Bartley was sent down to St Johns. I'm guessing either Gilbert is coming back or Beaulieu's Injury isn't as serious

I just realized Byron was injured too

Firing Therrien won't magically wash away the lack of talent on the roster. Moving Galchenyuk to the top line is not a one stop fix-all either. The Habs simply don't have the quality players to fill two good lines, let alone four.

I guess this isn't a controversial opinion anymore after last night's loss.

Solo

For shits, I took a look at the first round of every draft since 2001.

2001: Habs drafted Mike Komisarek. Could have had Dan Hamhuis, Ales Hemsky.
2002: Habs drafted Chris Higgins. Could have had Alex Steen, Cam Ward.
2003: Habs drafted Andrei Kostitsyn. Could have had Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry.
2004: Habs drafted Kyle Chipchura. Could have had Corey Scneider, Mike Green.
2005: Habs drafted Carey Price. I'd say they got this one right obviously. But for fun, they could have had Anze Kopitar, Marc Staal, TJ Oshie.
2006: Habs drafted David Fisher. Could have had Claude Giroux.
2007: Habs drafted Ryan McDonaugh, Max Pacioretty. They mostly got this one right, although they traded McDonaugh for Gomez and they could have had Kevin Shattenkirk, David Perron.
2008: Habs drafted no one. They traded their 1st for Alex Tanguay.
2009: Habs drafted Louis LeBlanc. Could have had Chris Kreider, Marcus Johansson.
2010: Habs drafted Jarred Tinordi. Could have had Kevin Hayes, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson.
2011: Habs drafted Nathan Beaulieu. Could have had Vladisov Namestnikov.
2012: Habs drafted Alex Galchenyuk. I think they got this one right, but for shits they could have had Filip Forsberg, Tomas Hertl, Teuvo Teravainen.
2013: Habs drafted Michael McCarron. Based on how low they drafted, they probably got this decently well.
2014: Habs drafted Nikita Scherbek. Like McCarron, the pick was so low in the round that they probably did decently well.
2015: Habs drafted Noah Juulsen. Same deal as McCarron and Scherbek.
2016: Habs will get #1 overall pick and and pick Not Auston Matthews.

Woof.

yyzjohn

Banned
Thank you. I know there are those that worship at the altar of TT, because he "found" Gallagher late and other such things, but every team has found gems in late rounds. I don't think Timmins is a scab or anything, but he's an average scout, not a god.

trevor1.jpg

He looks like a god though.

2001: Habs drafted Mike Komisarek. Could have had Dan Hamhuis, Ales Hemsky.
2002: Habs drafted Chris Higgins. Could have had Alex Steen, Cam Ward.
2003: Habs drafted Andrei Kostitsyn. Could have had Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry.
2004: Habs drafted Kyle Chipchura. Could have had Corey Scneider, Mike Green.
2005: Habs drafted Carey Price. I'd say they got this one right obviously. But for fun, they could have had Anze Kopitar, Marc Staal, TJ Oshie.
2006: Habs drafted David Fisher. Could have had Claude Giroux.
2007: Habs drafted Ryan McDonaugh, Max Pacioretty. They mostly got this one right, although they traded McDonaugh for Gomez and they could have had Kevin Shattenkirk, David Perron.
2008: Habs drafted no one. They traded their 1st for Alex Tanguay.
2009: Habs drafted Louis LeBlanc. Could have had Chris Kreider, Marcus Johansson.
2010: Habs drafted Jarred Tinordi. Could have had Kevin Hayes, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson.
2011: Habs drafted Nathan Beaulieu. Could have had Vladisov Namestnikov.
2012: Habs drafted Alex Galchenyuk. I think they got this one right, but for shits they could have had Filip Forsberg, Tomas Hertl, Teuvo Teravainen.
2013: Habs drafted Michael McCarron. Based on how low they drafted, they probably got this decently well.
2014: Habs drafted Nikita Scherbek. Like McCarron, the pick was so low in the round that they probably did decently well.
2015: Habs drafted Noah Juulsen. Same deal as McCarron and Scherbek.
2016: Habs will get #1 overall pick and and pick Not Auston Matthews.

Woof.

More Proof that Montreal needs to tank hard.

LevelNth

Banned
The 2007 Habs draft is just bananas looking back.

1st pick: McDonaugh
2nd pick: Pacioretty
3rd pick: Subban

Wowza. If McDonaugh wasn't traded and Patches didn't become a charter member of the school of Kessel that'd be a dominant foundation for a team in just three picks in one draft.

e: also Galchenyuk over guys like Forsberg, Rielly or Teravainen? Going back there's no way he still goes 3.

imBask

Banned
But you could do this with every team and every sport that's ever had a draft.

In 1988, every team in baseball could have drafted Mike Piazza 61 times over. Portland could have had Michael Jordan...

oh we know, but for some reason in Montreal Timmins is some kind of living legend who can do no wrong

I hope the Trade Deadline is super busy for Montreal this year.

EYRpuaz.gif

Well at least I have my Raptors to watch this season and Blue Jays season is coming up.

Plenty of things to watch instead of Montreal.

That Suicide Squad trailer has given me hope, and less expectation that it will be a complete cringefest.

So I guess that Drouin trade isn't going to happen

I love when the awkwardness of this situation happens.

If the NHL allows him, Scott wants to wear a St. John's IceCaps jersey at the ASG.

:lol

Fuck the Yotes, IceCaps get a representative. This is seriously awesome.

So many "milestones", and it's all the NHLs fault.

I hope he wears it during the shootout contest.

oh we know, but for some reason in Montreal Timmins is some kind of living legend who can do no wrong

Serious question... can't think of another team in professional sports that has a fanbase as intense as the Habs. Not even Yankee fan seems to have quite the level of, incredible passion, I guess you could call it, about the sport. Do Habs fans even have fun with hockey? Obviously Habs fans love the sport. But is it fun to be a Habs fan?

Serious question... can't think of another team in professional sports that has a fanbase as intense as the Habs. Not even Yankee fan seems to have quite the level of, incredible passion, I guess you could call it, about the sport. Do Habs fans even have fun with hockey? Obviously Habs fans love the sport. But is it fun to be a Habs fan?

It's frustrating to be a habs fan.

who would be a coaching candidate anyway?
better maybe start from scratch in the offseason and let therrien finish off the year (unless you want to promote lefebre ughh...)
just trade away assets at trade deadline

Woof.

A more fair way to make a judgement on Montreal scouting would be to compare the player they drafted to the one going right after him. There will always be someone that is having a better career than what people think.

2001: Komisarek or Pascal Leclair?
2002: Higgins or Jesse Niniimaki?
2003: Kostitsyn or Jeff Carter?
2004: Chipchura or Lauri Korpikosi?
2005: Price or Gilbert Brule?
2006: David Fisher or Bob Sanguinetti?
2007: Mcdonagh or Eller?
2008: No pick
2009: Leblanc or Kreider
2010: Jared Tinordi or Mike Pysyk
2011: Beaulieu or Marc Mcneill
2012: Galchenyuk or Griffin Reinhardt
2013 - Low picks that are hard to say anything about now

Watching this list isnt that flattering but I would I would say that they have done fairly well for when they drafted.

Drafting outside of the top is really hard and there will almost always be some later pick that outperforms you.

If they picked busts in positions where the GM after always took players that turned out better it would be easier to blast them.

imBask

Banned

it really depends, I think it's a personal thing. I don't ACTUALLY get mad about hockey, I realize it's just hockey...There are different categories of hockey fans in Montreal.

• Normal fans, they just love the team and enjoy hockey, but don't watch/talk about it all the time
  • The fans, that's most of us here, we love hockey and love talking about it
  • The crazies, AKA people who will be grumpy at work because the Canadiens lost the night before
  • The old timers, they hate everything because everything was better back then and Lafleur and Shutt and Beliveau and Richard and Roy and blablabla
  • The fake old timers, usually your uncles, they don't actually watch hockey but they still think it's important to tell you all about their theories. Hockey is rigged, Habs are just a business and they don't care about winning. They'll bandwagon any opinion they hear on the radio
  • The worst kind of fans, basically this category rules social medias and the open call radio shows. They just want something to hate, they hate everything, nothing's ever good, ever

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

It's just easier being a grumpy dude on the internet. I'm not constantly talking about how much I hate Therrien in real life, or how much Desharnais sucks, but I do get frustrated watching games.

It doesn't carry over into the next day though, and I don't really think about it all that much unless I'm talking to another hockey fan. It's always fun talking to fellow fans, but more fun when they're winning.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Shitting on Timmins and citing the Price pick as an obvious one in the same breath is something else.

Yea, let's fire Timmins, Bergevin and Therrien and replace them with McGuire, Crawford and some loser from Hf boards to do the scouting. Stanley Cup here we come.

They're only reason I'm not imploding like others here and a lot of Habs fans is because I can recognize the difference between this season and the 2012-2013 season. The issue now is Bergevin needs to do decide asap if he's going to try and save the season, or just let it ride out to a potentially decent pick.

zroid

Banned
LOL Dreger says it will be a "challenge" to get Phaneuf to waive his NTC becaue he likes Babcock so much

this isn't how this is supposed to work! D:

Quick

Banned
Fuck the Coyotes for what? Moving a guy for cap space ?

The trade was a hockey move for a team that is actually trying to compete.

Fun fact they had been wanting to send Scott down for ages but were afraid of the PR they would have gotten so when they had a chance to acquire Tinordi and needed space, they got rid of a guy they didn't want.

John Scott is a garbage player and the Coyotes are not at fault for getting rid of him just because some internet trolls decided to vote him in for some laughs

I was saying that as a joke. It's just funny that the Yotes get zero representation, even if Scott wears a Coyotes jersey, he's still not part of the team anymore.

Isn't he pretty?

Trade us Ghost Bear, we'll give you Defensive Stud Roman Polak.

It won't be a Luke Schenn/JVR situation, I promise.

Ask Schuey. He was around since the franchise started. He'll be able to tell you stories.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
lol, I still get a bit grumpy and upset after a loss, but I get over it pretty quick now.

Watching the Rocket play
Roy
, those were the days....

Socreges

Banned
Shitting on Timmins and citing the Price pick as an obvious one in the same breath is something else.

Yea, let's fire Timmins, Bergevin and Therrien and replace them with McGuire, Crawford and some loser from Hf boards to do the scouting. Stanley Cup here we come.

They're only reason I'm not imploding like others here and a lot of Habs fans is because I can recognize the difference between this season and the 2012-2013 season. The issue now is Bergevin needs to do decide asap if he's going to try and save the season, or just let it ride out to a potentially decent pick.
Hmmm.

About Price, dunno about "obvious" but pretty sure all or most rankings and mock draft drafts had the Habs drafting him. It just made sense.

About Timmins, I don't think anyone's calling for his head, but they seem to be more contrasting to your hyper enthusiasm / masturbate praise of him. Same with Bergevin.

Top Bottom