• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Solo

They're only reason I'm not imploding like others here and a lot of Habs fans is because I can recognize the difference between this season and the 2012-2013 season. The issue now is Bergevin needs to do decide asap if he's going to try and save the season, or just let it ride out to a potentially decent pick.

The difference is back then we had hope. And a goalie. Three seasons later and it's all gone to hell in a handbasket. Therrien has proven that he's the same shitty coach he's always been, he's stunted or flat out ruined the development of a number of players, and our GM hasn't done anything of note to make the team better. Bergevin has done a good job of managing the cap, I'll give him that, but cap management doesn't magically transition into icing a contender roster, let alone winning a Cup.

And RE: Price. The team needed a goalie and most media outlets/sports reporters were predicting Price was who they were going to draft. I recall vividly watching that draft and it was kinda boring simply because the Habs did exactly what they were speculated to do.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This projection has MTL finishing 17th :lol

CZLil5rWAAA9SN1.png

gimme dat lottery

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hmmm.

About Price, dunno about "obvious" but pretty sure all or most rankings and mock draft drafts had the Habs drafting him. It just made sense.

About Timmins, I don't think anyone's calling for his head, but they seem to be more contrasting to your hyper enthusiasm / masturbate praise of him. Same with Bergevin.
Theodore had won the Vezina & Hart just a few seasons before, that would be like us grabbing a goalie at 5th in the 2017 draft. It wasn't expected at all and a lot of people wanted a player like Brule drafted instead. He has a proven record of producing the most NHLers compared to other teams and this while having shitty picks. I praise him because he's one of the best, you can go through every teams draft and say they should have picked this player or that player.

As for Bergevin, everyone's upset he hasn't gone out and traded for 2 bonafide top six wingers. Look at what they've gone for, we don't have a Seth Jones, Tyler Myers, Kapenen, Duclair, Dano, Zadorov, etc to trade for these wingers. The team has too many untouchables, and haven't drafted high enough to get those kind of prospects that we can use to trade. Meanwhile he's been in discussions for Ward, Williams, Vrbata. He's trying but people act like because nothing's happened he's just sitting there.

If we want one of those goes we would have to trade a Gallagher, or a Galchenyuk, or a Beaulieu. Bergevin has said since the beginning he's about drafting and building this team up from the inside, I'd rather he do nothing than give away a bunch of valuable players and then be stuck in a position like Pittsburgh where Kessel isn't producing like expected.

Chris R

I remember "experts" saying Sabres would be way better this season and could possibly even make the playoffs :lol

They are going to win tonight, mark my words. Avs can't seem to solve the "bad" teams, strange, considering how much experience we have in that category the past few years, this one included :(

imBask

Banned
Am I the only one who agrees with Marc Crawford here? When hacks like Moore can get away with taking out the other teams captain and leagues leading scorer there's a problem. This could have avoided if the league had handed him a suspension. Instead the team was left with taking matter into their own hands. Ruutu, May, Pronger were all looking for Moore all game but he kept refusing to answer the bell for his deeds like a man. Ending his career was unfortunate but it could have been avoided. This is like our team retaliating against Chara or Kreider for taking out Price and possibly ending his career. Who am I kidding? Our team of midgets are too soft.

HFBoards : where people defend Bertuzzi for almost killing Moore

zroid

Banned
I remember "experts" saying Sabres would be way better this season and could possibly even make the playoffs :lol

Funny thing is if this projection is accurate, Sabres will have 77 pts which is a massive increase over last year's 54 pts. and yet they'd still be dead last, lol.

Red_Man

The difference is back then we had hope. And a goalie. Three seasons later and it's all gone to hell in a handbasket. Therrien has proven that he's the same shitty coach he's always been, he's stunted or flat out ruined the development of a number of players, and our GM hasn't done anything of note to make the team better. Bergevin has done a good job of managing the cap, I'll give him that, but cap management doesn't magically transition into icing a contender roster, let alone winning a Cup.
I agree with this and I hate that Bergevin seems attached to the hip with Therrien, and I don't know why that is. This is my biggest issue with him, but I don't know if he can fire a coach when the team has done as well as they've have in past seasons, regardless of whether that's due to Price's play or not.

Solo said:
And RE: Price. The team needed a goalie and most media outlets/sports reporters were predicting Price was who they were going to draft. I recall vividly watching that draft and it was kinda boring simply because the Habs did exactly what they were speculated to do.
I have no idea where you're getting this from, this wasn't an expected pick in any regard. They haven't had a big center for 20 years, most people expected them to go for one of the large centers.

It's like no one remembers my blow up over this. Most rankings or mock drafts had them picking Kopitar or Brule.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNOtoJ8vb0

Solo

You can't argue with success. I feel like the Blackhawks model of having 4-5 core, elite players and cycling all the pieces around them constantly, while sounding crazy on paper, clearly has some merit. I'm surprised more teams haven't tried to emulate that. 3 Cups in 6 years is a dynasty is modern sports terms.

imBask

Banned
You can't argue with success. I feel like the Blackhawks model of having 4-5 core, elite players and cycling all the pieces around them constantly, while sounding crazy on paper, clearly has some merit. I'm surprised more teams haven't tried to emulate that. 3 Cups in 6 years is a dynasty is modern sports terms.

Hawks sucked for like 15 years and the arena was empty for a while... That's not a good plan. Considering how Bergevin manages, if we go down that route we might just end up being the new Oilers, who pretty much tried to recreate the Hawks model

Solo

Hawks sucked for like 15 years and the arena was empty for a while... That's not a good plan. Considering how Bergevin manages, if we go down that route we might just end up being the new Oilers, who pretty much tried to recreate the Hawks model

True, but if the measure of success is winning Stanley Cups, then the Habs have also sucked for 15 years now. Maybe that's not a fair way to express it, but you know what I mean.

It also goes to show how much luck plays into it. You can't just suck for years and get #1 picks and win, you have to do it at the right time. Penguins sucked and that landed them Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal and a Cup. Hawks sucked and that landed them Toews, Kane, and 3 Cups. Oilers sucked and it landed them Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and not a goddamn thing to show for it.

Fei

Funny thing is if this projection is accurate, Sabres will have 77 pts which is a massive increase over last year's 54 pts. and yet they'd still be dead last, lol.

Yup, Sabres are way better this year. They were just historically bad last year. I really don't think they will finish 30th, though. The team has been coming together lately even when they're losing.

imBask

Banned
True, but if the measure of success is winning Stanley Cups, then the Habs have also sucked for 15 years now. Maybe that's not a fair way to express it, but you know what I mean.

It also goes to show how much luck plays into it. You can't just suck for years and get #1 picks and win, you have to do it at the right time. Penguins sucked and that landed them Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal and a Cup. Hawks sucked and that landed them Toews, Kane, and 3 Cups. Oilers sucked and it landed them Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and not a goddamn thing to show for it.

Kings and Bruins made it without going through something so drastic, I prefer that model

Solo

Kings and Bruins made it without going through something so drastic, I prefer that model

I'm not saying I want to tank haha - no one wants that. 2012 was incredibly rough to stomach because the Habs were tanking so bad. It netted them Galchenyuk, but it was painful to sit through. I've sat through too many rough seasons as a Habs fan. Theres a decade there from like 1995 to 2005 that is a complete and utter wasteland that I'd rather not revisit as a fan, ever. I just want them to win again, whatever it takes.

Cake Boss

Banned

Kings had to bottom out to grab Doughty at #2.
#11 to grab Kopitar
#4 Thomas Hickey
#13 Dustin Brown
Brayden Schenn at #5 which they packaged for Richards
They got lucky with Jack Johnson being a 3rd overall pick sign with them and they packaged him for Carter.

imBask

Banned
Kings had to bottom out to grab Doughty at #2.
#11 to grab Kopitar
#4 Thomas Hickey
#13 Dustin Brown
Brayden Schenn at #5 which they packaged for Richards
They got lucky with Jack Johnson being a 3rd overall pick sign with them and they packaged him for Carter.

11 and 13 isn't that bad, and it's actually fairly similar to the Canadiens, we got Galchenyuk at #3 and Price at #5

omg we're the Oilers version of the Kings model

yyzjohn

Banned
Theodore had won the Vezina & Hart just a few seasons before, that would be like us grabbing a goalie at 5th in the 2017 draft. It wasn't expected at all and a lot of people wanted a player like Brule drafted instead. He has a proven record of producing the most NHLers compared to other teams and this while having shitty picks. I praise him because he's one of the best, you can go through every teams draft and say they should have picked this player or that player.

I have to back Red here for the 2005 draft, people weren't expecting Price to be picked so high. Just looking at the GAF postings from the time can confirm this:

A FUCKING GOALIE? YOU GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME. FUCK YOU HABS!

PRICE with the 5th pick!? Habs fans cry!

Carey Price for Montreal

Wheres Malakhovs gun?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1710166#post1710166

@NHLAdamK
Gostisbehere's 8th goal ties him with Joni Pitkanen (2003-04)and Murray Barron (1990-91) for most ever among Flyers' rookie defensemen.

Wow.

I have to back Red here for the 2005 draft, people weren't expecting Price to be picked so high. Just looking at the GAF postings from the time can confirm this:

You forgot the most important one. Snacks to Toronto.
TRADE

CAROLINA TRADES JEFF ONEIL
TO TORONTO

CONDITION DRAFT PICK IN 2006

Red_Man

Taking a goalie that high is already a risk, Timmins had major balls going with Price and it paid off. Timmins is literally the last person in the Habs organization anyone should be shit talking.

imBask

Banned

Sportsnet has learned the Senators and Hossa have agreed to a three-year deal worth $18 million.

SELANNE A DUCK!

NOW I CAN GET HIS NAME ON MY JERSEY LIKE I PLANNED ON DOING 6 YEARS AGO

Lets go burn down the ACC

Who isnt scared of the Edmonton Oilers??! WHO??

report from Chicago radio station, 3 way trade in the works...

To Toronto : Joe Thorton
To Boston : Eric Daze
To Chicago : Ed Belfour

old threads are the best

Red_Man

Soooooo Therrien not getting fired? Maybe Bergevin really is waiting until after the Leafs game.

Razorskin

----- ------
For shits, I took a look at the first round of every draft since 2001.

2001: Habs drafted Mike Komisarek. Could have had Dan Hamhuis, Ales Hemsky.
2002: Habs drafted Chris Higgins. Could have had Alex Steen, Cam Ward.
2003: Habs drafted Andrei Kostitsyn. Could have had Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry.
2004: Habs drafted Kyle Chipchura. Could have had Corey Scneider, Mike Green.
2005: Habs drafted Carey Price. I'd say they got this one right obviously. But for fun, they could have had Anze Kopitar, Marc Staal, TJ Oshie.
2006: Habs drafted David Fisher. Could have had Claude Giroux.
2007: Habs drafted Ryan McDonaugh, Max Pacioretty. They mostly got this one right, although they traded McDonaugh for Gomez and they could have had Kevin Shattenkirk, David Perron.
2008: Habs drafted no one. They traded their 1st for Alex Tanguay.
2009: Habs drafted Louis LeBlanc. Could have had Chris Kreider, Marcus Johansson.
2010: Habs drafted Jarred Tinordi. Could have had Kevin Hayes, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Brock Nelson.
2011: Habs drafted Nathan Beaulieu. Could have had Vladisov Namestnikov.
2012: Habs drafted Alex Galchenyuk. I think they got this one right, but for shits they could have had Filip Forsberg, Tomas Hertl, Teuvo Teravainen.
2013: Habs drafted Michael McCarron. Based on how low they drafted, they probably got this decently well.
2014: Habs drafted Nikita Scherbek. Like McCarron, the pick was so low in the round that they probably did decently well.
2015: Habs drafted Noah Juulsen. Same deal as McCarron and Scherbek.
2016: Habs will get #1 overall pick and and pick Not Auston Matthews.

Woof.
Cringe at anyone doing this sort of exercise.

Merguson

Banned

i've uncovered.. dopeyfish defending eklund

he's been right often.

But it's not him making up the rumors, it's gathered from several sources. He's not sitting there going "eh! this is a good idea!" He posts rumors from NHL players, agents (where most info comes from), managers, and other executive staff. People also don't realise one thing: The rumors are things that are currently in TALKS. Some of them might be finalised and some of them won't. Contract talks are highly unstable as it is. Someone can be saying for sure he'll sign one place then 5 minutes later another offer comes along and off he goes to some other club. Since people don't realise this they harp and they don't take rumors for what they are... rumors. They take it as truth then lash out when it's wrong.

What did you expect? =p

hey. it's not my fault you guys don't understand.

And because of that you shouldn't be attacking me or eklund. It just makes you look even dumber in the end.

to say "oh vay that rumor is dumb! eklund is dumb!" it DID come from somewhere and it was not his head or his ass. Teams have done VERY STUPID trades before and they will continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

But then again this is GAF. There are people on here who post rumors that are 95% correct and get trashed. And then there are people who post rumors that are never correct and are adored.

So I'm not sure why i'm bothering to defend him because you guys are ass backwards.

In other news,

I also noticed that some people were trying to put a GAF league using the FHL simulator (which is long dead) and having people put $1.25 individually together in order to buy it :lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What I don't understand is how Molson is okay with this.

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, I don't want owners doing anything but writing cheques, and they should trust their GM 100% to build the team they want without fear of putting the profits first, but on the other hand it's just getting ridiculous at this point. Therrien has history of constantly having his teams get outplayed, and being saved by superstar performances basically.

Solo

Not to mention.....realistically, if/when Price comes back this season, what can we expect from him? He sure as shit isn't sliding back into Vezina/Hart form in a short period of time. The season could be over before Price has rounded into form.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm torn on this.

On one hand, I don't want owners doing anything but writing cheques, and they should trust their GM 100% to build the team they want without fear of putting the profits first, but on the other hand it's just getting ridiculous at this point. Therrien has history of constantly having his teams get outplayed, and being saved by superstar performances basically.

You don't want your owner calling the shots during a season. Owner gives his management team a mandate, and then re-assess at the end of the season. If they want to clean house when all is said and done then fine, but you don't want the owner suddenly stepping in and saying "fire the coach or you're fired". That's the Leafs recipe for disaster that's been repeated over and over for decades. Put a guy in place and let them run a long term vision.

Top Bottom