• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Samyy

Garrsion's actually a good defenseman though.

Yea but is he 4.6mil good?
I feel like teams get in trouble when they start paying decent guys in the 4-5mil range.

Basically I feel like you have your big guys making 7-8mil+ and then everyone around them from like 1-3mil. You can't be paying a bunch of good/decent guys at 4-6mil if you want to be competitive.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hard to blame Yzerman for any of this...well, unless you want to pin the blame for drafting Drouin over Seth Jones, which I'd be more than willing to entertain.
If they manage to lose both Drouin and Stamkos because Cooper is a twat, that's on Yzerman.

At least this makes me feel better about the Therrien / AGally situation.

Yea but is he 4.6mil good?
I feel like teams get in trouble when they start paying decent guys in the 4-5mil range.

Basically I feel like you have your big guys making 7-8mil+ and then everyone around them from like 1-3mil. You can't be paying a bunch of good/decent guys at 4-6mil if you want to be competitive.

While this has been true, with the rising salary cap prices will inevitably go up as well.

Then add in the "paying for potential" stuff many GMs do, and lots of contracts end up inflated.

It's time Drouin is reunited with MacKinnon.
We don't have the assets.

But hey guys, looks like Drouin was the next St. Louis after all!

ZeroGravity

If they manage to lose both Drouin and Stamkos because Cooper is a twat, that's on Yzerman.

At least this makes me feel better about the Therrien / AGally situation.
The Stamkos situation is far more complex than simple coaching. I've never really believed the gulf between him and Cooper is as big as people make it out to be. For Stamkos it's about money, and how much the Lightning actually think he's worth.

I also don't really know what to make of Drouin anymore. For as much as I think Cooper hasn't handled him well, he's also the ONLY young player on this team who hasn't shown improvement under Cooper. What Drouin's going through is the exact same thing Kucherov went through before him, but Kucherov took his growing pains in stride and is now one of our best players. How much of Drouin's situation has become exacerbated by his own lack of maturity?

imBask

Banned
seriously though, I don't know what to think about Drouin. Never proved anything in the NHL and he's already asking for a trade, it all sounds a bit risky to me

it really depends on the price, and considering they're also about to lose Stamcock, that'll be an inflated trade

John Scott is an All Star captain?

allaptopsmashnyspf.gif

th

Kifimbo

seriously though, I don't know what to think about Drouin. Never proved anything in the NHL and he's already asking for a trade, it all sounds a bit risky to me

This isn't really true. He is fourth in TB in points per 60 minutes this year. And his advanced stats numbers are pretty good. He's only 20.

ZeroGravity

This isn't really true. He is fourth in TB in points per 60 minutes this year. And his advanced stats numbers are pretty good. He's only 20.
Not to discount Drouin's talent - because I still think he'll be a great player someday - but that's more of a reflection of how poor the Lightning's offense has been this year than how good Drouin has been.

imBask

Banned

for the price I expect Tampa to ask, advanced stats won't cut it for me. Habs window is opening, can't build on "maybes" anymore

zroid

Banned
Drouin 3rd in P/60 among 2013 drafted forwards with at least 500 mins

c0GdPvN.png

That's while rocking an impossibly low Sh% which should regress

Drouin to Nashville is so perfect it's hard to imagine him going anywhere else.

Not surprised Alan Walsh is pulling this, dude is a savage.

Forsburg and Drouin..?

Gat Damn

Anaheim wouldn't be bad either.

Hell I traded Getzlaf for Stamkos Straight Up in NHL14

Stamkos looks good in Mighty Ducks Colours

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
JVR for Drouin is probably what makes sense (with a couple extra pieces)

But I'd still prefer Phaneuf/Bozak+3rd for Stamkos and Drouin

Oh well

Trying to sort out your schedule for University is a pain. It's even worse when the classes you could take keep getting canceled.

Red_Man

Hahahah

Yeah, no

Unless Tampa is giving us their first. The value of both those player far eclipses the value of drouin.
And Drouins value far eclipses JVRs, if Yzerman would trade him into the East which I don't see happening, the price will be stupid.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
And Drouins value far eclipses JVRs, if Yzerman would trade him into the East which I don't see happening, the price will be stupid.

His value isn't as high as you believe.

1) he isn't NHL proven
2) he doesn't seem favoured within the TBL organisation
3) he requested a trade

To be quite honest, Tampa will most likely not get a player as good as JVR when this is resolved

Red_Man

His value isn't as high as you believe.

1) he isn't NHL proven
2) he doesn't seem favoured within the TBL organisation
3) he requested a trade

To be quite honest, Tampa will most likely not get a player as good as JVR when this is resolved
1) That's bullshit
2) What does this matter to other teams?
3) Again, so what?

JVR topped off at 61 points when Drouin is projected to be a PPG player while only 20 years old, and you're trying to tell me that Yzerman should be happy to do that trade? Give me a break.

Red_Man

PPG players don't really exist anymore. Only 5 players had 80 or more points last year, and I expect there to be less this year.
He's as close as a prospect can get to being a projected PPG player right now anyways. Point is his ceiling is a franchise player, you don't move that for a one way forward whos career high is 61 points.

Watching Drouin play on AGally's would melt my brain.

zroid

Banned
This time of year is bad for my health. I can't stop myself from buying tons of clearance priced holiday candy.

Top Bottom