• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

Quick

Banned
I tried the Rift and got sick instantly

I had 0 interest in VR, at $600 my interest is below negative

EDIT : 850$ CAD lol

$850 CAD?!

OptimalThoseFoal.gif

I had no interest in VR as well. At least, not in its current landscape - the games available just isn't clicking with me. And there wasn't much in the way of other media that I've seen. $850 CAD just puts me firmly in "nope."

imBask

Banned
$850 CAD?!

OptimalThoseFoal.gif

I had no interest in VR as well. At least, not in its current landscape - the games available just isn't clicking with me. And there wasn't much in the way of other media that I've seen. $850 CAD just puts me firmly in "nope."

950 with shipping

oh and don't forget to upgrade your computer to run it too!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How did they misspell Mats Zuccarello's name so badly that it ended up as "Ryan McDonagh" on the All-Star roster? The fuck?

There is going to be a reddit AMA at 6pm pacific with Oculus guy so that should be interesting.

OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN! ALL STAR CLAUDE GIROUX

honestly no one else deserves it from our squad.

Foggy

50 percent is a little high but that's what the lady at the occulus rift booth told me, but still, the number of people who get sick has to be significant since it's been a huge problem from day 1 and they've been trying to fix it for years now

like, even if I don't care about VR, this is really bad for VR. It'll end up being niche, and game devs won't waste money on something that won't get them their money back

50% is way high. Not sure where she pulled that figure from. What makes people sick is any combination of poor hardware to poor performance to games with poor optimization to just making games that would make ANYONE sick. There are a ton of comfortable games out there and of all the demos I've done and others like Durante who has done it for hundreds of people, very few have gotten sick. The amount of people who get sick no matter what is even less than 5% or even lower.

As for niche, it was always going to be niche. Movie theaters were once very niche. These things take time and will be cost prohibitive out of the gate and devs have known this all along. Games and experiences are in their most infant stages. The best case is that the cost, the hardware quality, and experience quality converge and that's going to take years to happen. This price point changes none of it.

zroid

Banned
The Atlantic division's D representatives are drool worthy

you could just put Subban, Karlsson, and Ekblad on the ice for 3v3, and they'd be better than most actual 3 man units

Quick

Banned
Full ASG roster, for anyone who missed it.

Atlantic

F Patrice Bergeron (BOS)
F Jaromir Jagr (FLA) - C
F Leo Komarov (TOR)
F Dylan Larkin (DET)
F Ryan O'Reilly (BUF)
F Steven Stamkos (TBL)
D Aaron Ekblad (FLA)
D Erik Karlsson (OTT)
D P.K. Subban (MTL)
G Ben Bishop (TBL)
G Roberto Luongo (FLA)

Central

F Jamie Benn (DAL)
F Matt Duchene (COL)
F Patrick Kane (CHI) - C
F Tyler Seguin (DAL)
F Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
F Jonathan Toews (CHI)
D Dustin Byfuglien (WPG)
D Roman Josi (NSH)
D Shea Weber (NSH)
G Devan Dubnyk (MIN)
G Pekka Rinne (NSH)

Metropolitan

F Nicklas Backstrom (WSH)
F Claude Giroux (PHI)
F Evgeni Malkin (PIT)
F Alex Ovechkin (WSH) - C
F Brandon Saad (CBJ)
F John Tavares (NYI)
D Justin Faulk (CAR)
D Kris Letang (PIT)
D Ryan McDonagh (NYR)
G Braden Holtby (WSH)
G Cory Schneider (NJD)

Pacific

F Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
F Taylor Hall (EDM)
F Joe Pavelski (SJS)
F Corey Perry (ANA)
F John Scott (ARI) - C
F Daniel Sedin (VAN)
D Brent Burns (SJS)
D Drew Doughty (LAK)
D Mark Giordano (CGY)
G John Gibson (ANA)
G Jonathan Quick (LAK)

Full ASG roster, for anyone who missed it.

Atlantic

F Patrice Bergeron (BOS)
F Jaromir Jagr (FLA) - C
F Leo Komarov (TOR)
F Dylan Larkin (DET)
F Ryan O'Reilly (BUF)
F Steven Stamkos (TBL)
D Aaron Ekblad (FLA)
D Erik Karlsson (OTT)
D P.K. Subban (MTL)
G Ben Bishop (TBL)
G Roberto Luongo (FLA)

Central

F Jamie Benn (DAL)
F Matt Duchene (COL)
F Patrick Kane (CHI) - C
F Tyler Seguin (DAL)
F Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
F Jonathan Toews (CHI)
D Dustin Byfuglien (WPG)
D Roman Josi (NSH)
D Shea Weber (NSH)
G Devan Dubnyk (MIN)
G Pekka Rinne (NSH)

Metropolitan

F Nicklas Backstrom (WSH)
F Claude Giroux (PHI)
F Evgeni Malkin (PIT)
F Alex Ovechkin (WSH) - C
F Brandon Saad (CBJ)
F John Tavares (NYI)
D Justin Faulk (CAR)
D Kris Letang (PIT)
D Ryan McDonagh (NYR)
G Braden Holtby (WSH)
G Cory Schneider (NJD)

Pacific

F Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
F Taylor Hall (EDM)
F Joe Pavelski (SJS)
F Corey Perry (ANA)
F John Scott (ARI) - C
F Daniel Sedin (VAN)
D Brent Burns (SJS)
D Drew Doughty (LAK)
D Mark Giordano (CGY)
G John Gibson (ANA)
G Jonathan Quick (LAK)

Ekblad Subban and Karlsson?!??

Holy Fuck

imBask

Banned
50% is way high. Not sure where she pulled that figure from. What makes people sick is any combination of poor hardware to poor performance to games with poor optimization to just making games that would make ANYONE sick. There are a ton of comfortable games out there and of all the demos I've done and others like Durante who has done it for hundreds of people, very few have gotten sick. The amount of people who get sick no matter what is even less than 5% or even lower.

As for niche, it was always going to be niche. Movie theaters were once very niche. These things take time and will be cost prohibitive out of the gate and devs have known this all along. Games and experiences are in their most infant stages. The best case is that the cost, the hardware quality, and experience quality converge and that's going to take years to happen. This price point changes none of it.

I just don't see it man, I just don't. Too niche, too problematic and I see no real use compared to something like AR

Quick

Banned
The Pacific has John Scott though

Pacific has the goons.

Scott and Perry could wreck shit if this was an actual game. Perry's troll game would be too strong.

Atlantic has the best defence
Central has the best forwards
Metro has the best goalies
Pacific has a weird mix of each (Scott being the weird part)

Foggy

I just don't see it man, I just don't. Too niche, too problematic and I see no real use compared to something like AR

Just need a little patience is all. Tech will improve(foveated rendering is already on the horizon) and smart indie devs are gonna figure how best to design their games for it. But it takes years. Even the people whose bottom line depends on VR is aware of the time it's gonna take. I'm not even worried if it stays niche. As long as that niche is healthy enough to sustain itself.

imBask

Banned
Just need a little patience is all. Tech will improve(foveated rendering is already on the horizon) and smart indie devs are gonna figure how best to design their games for it. But it takes years. Even the people whose bottom line depends on VR is aware of the time it's gonna take. I'm not even worried if it stays niche. As long as that niche is healthy enough to sustain itself.

I won't be part of that niche market then, not for me

just like I wasn't part of the Wii thing, I still don't get how anyone can enjoy motion controls

AR though. Watching a hockey game and having live stats and stuff? Driving my car and having some crazy GPS in front of me? pointing my phone at something and getting infos on it instantly? oh man, that i'm in

ZeroGravity

Stamkos being an All-Star this year makes me want to vomit.

Bishop absolutely deserves it though. He's the only reason we're not in contention for the first overall pick. Yet.

Pikma

Banned
Stars lines in practice:

Benn-Spezza-Nichushkin;
Janmark-Seguin-Sharp;
Roussel-Eakin-Sceviour;
Moen/Faksa-Fiddler-Eaves

I doubt separating Benn and Seguin will help the team allow less goals, it definitely did not help last season

Fuck Ruff.

Quick

Banned
Apparently all of the all star selections were determined by fan votes this time.

Which makes Crosby's absence from the ASG even more surprising, given he generally racks up a decent amount of votes.

lol at Stamkos' selection. Probably from Leafs fans more than Lightning fans.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
AV: "no doubt that Megna will be in lineup" on Saturday vs. Capitals. He also expects Kreider to be back as well, which means 2 forwards will need to be scratched.

I'm surprised that Komarov, Saad, and McDonagh are their team's representatives.
McDonagh's in solely because there are too many forwards for the Metro division already. Malkin, Tavares, Ovechkin, Saad, Backstrom, Giroux all deserve to be there, which means there's no room for Zuccarello, i.e. the only actual deserving All-Star on the Rangers this season.

Even then, though, if you had to pick a Rangers defenseman to make the team, I feel like Keith Yandle is the only one who's really earned it.

Stars lines in practice:

Benn-Spezza-Nichushkin;
Janmark-Seguin-Sharp;
Roussel-Eakin-Sceviour;
Moen/Faksa-Fiddler-Eaves

I doubt separating Benn and Seguin will help the team allow less goals, it definitely did not help last season

Fuck Ruff.

Established forwards like that are moved around to try and spark people offensively and to force different matchups for the opponent. You start thinking about defense-minded lines for the bottom 2.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well here's an interesting stat that I just saw come across the tweet machine. (That I then went and double-checked because you can never trust that thing.)

Jamie Benn's career vs. NYR: 8 GP, 0 G, 0 A, 0 P, -9

Woof. Too bad he's over in the Central, we should see him more often. :D

McDonagh's in solely because there are too many forwards for the Metro division already. Malkin, Tavares, Ovechkin, Saad, Backstrom, Giroux all deserve to be there, which means there's no room for Zuccarello, i.e. the only actual deserving All-Star on the Rangers this season.

Even then, though, if you had to pick a Rangers defenseman to make the team, I feel like Keith Yandle is the only one who's really earned it.

Yeah that's what I figured. It's why Byfuglien is in over Wheeler on the Jets. Doubt the Jackets would send Jack Johnson.

Top Bottom