• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
C7m4gIUUwAA8nML.jpg

Just leaving this here so we have someone to blame for later.

we only have a 3 point buffer right now

our next 6 games are the most important.

NJ, Buffalo, Florida, Nashville, Detroit, Buffalo

Right after that we've got Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh and Columbus in 6 days.

So much can go wrong with that shit schedule at the end

Right after that we've got Washington, Tampa, Pittsburgh and Columbus in 6 days.

According to Sports Club Stats:

vj1fzkL.png

I think they have a good chance of making it to that 93-95 point range with the schedule remaining.

Cactus

Banned
To reach 93 points:

Toronto 5-5-0
Boston 5-3-1
-------------------------
Islanders 6-3-1
Tampa 8-2
Carolina 9-2
Florida 10-0

A couple of losses in a row could change things considerably.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So Fehr is done for the rest of the season after blocking a shot last night? Put him on legends row

I miss Winnik, best 4th line grinder in all of hockey

what babcock must really hate is fehr was injured during that extended part of the major which should not have happened

Calamari41

41 > 38
So in order to make the playoffs, it looks like the Kings basically need to win all of their remaining games, and need the Predators or Blues to lose all of their remaining games?

So in order to make the playoffs, it looks like the Kings basically need to win all of their remaining games, and need the Predators or Blues to lose all of their remaining games?

Good thing their 25th ranked offence got what they needed the most at the deadline: a goaltender.

Foggy

1-8 conference seeding is the only sensible way to go about it. It makes winning the division less meaningful but who cares.

imBask

Banned
1-8 conference seeding is the only sensible way to go about it. It makes winning the division less meaningful but who cares.

it's already meaningless, like who fucking cares about winning the atlantic right now, we ALL know it's stupid

Calamari41

41 > 38

Those banners will never be "less meaningful." They are everything, second only to "Conference Championship Participant" banners.

calder

It's always my choice too despite it's flaws (which we would all remember fast if we started doing conference seeding again I'm sure). I mean, I at least understand what the NHL was trying to do with it's current stupid setup but time to stop forcing fake rivalries.

calder

Seriously, there shouldn't even be divisions... just have 2 conferences and thats it.

As long as there's timezones and TV money I doubt we'll get rid of divisions.

Whenever stuff about alignment and league setup gets discussed I get weirdly jealous of the Premier League. Luckiest league ever, all teams so close geographically and in the same timezone they get to have the most logical and simplest format imaginable. Everyone plays a home and away and that's it, no strength of schedule or divisions or conferences or any of that.

calder

What an incorrect quote is what I think you meant.

Are you saying that, as someone who played for the Coyotes and was therefor a part of trying to bring hockey to that arid wasteland he is definitely aware of something stupider? Harsh, but I guess I have to agree. Stop your lies Winnik!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Playoffs start in 20 days brehs. Hold onto your butts.

I refuse unless the Leafs manage to clinch a playoff spot then this butt will be held.

And yeah as Calder said I understand why the league did the playoff format as they did but yeah stop trying to manufacture these rivalries. Let these things happen organically

Socreges

Banned
I agree with calder. The NHL should move things around so the format is just like the EPL.

Also I want a Pro Controller now. Thanks guys

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Mass Effect is definitely not as bad as GAF claims it is. I havent had any facial animations issue and it doesnt look as weird as I thought it was going to be. It's a beautiful game, there's a TON of writing/voice acting/dialogue to explore and the gameplay is fun. It's not going to be GOTY but it's defininitely not a bad game.

The main story/writing is a bit too cliche/original trilogy-like (only worse than that) so that's a bit of a letdown so far, but it's definitely a Mass Effect game. I played a solid 12h over the last two days...

Mass Effect is definitely not as bad as GAF claims it is. I havent had any facial animations issue and it doesnt look as weird as I thought it was going to be. It's a beautiful game, there's a TON of writing/voice acting/dialogue to explore and the gameplay is fun. It's not going to be GOTY but it's defininitely not a bad game.

The main story/writing is a bit too cliche/original trilogy-like (only worse than that) so that's a bit of a letdown so far, but it's definitely a Mass Effect game. I played a solid 12h over the last two days...

Yeah, it's really good once it opens up.

That said, I've had a slew of technical issues. Screen flickering, NPCs not loading in, weapon models not loading in, crashes. All on PC.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I was really excited for the game, but when I saw the reviews I held back. I have two days off and downloaded the trial, so I'll give it a run and see if I dig it. I think my expectations will be a lot lower since I don't really game anymore.

I was really excited for the game, but when I saw the reviews I held back. I have two days off and downloaded the trial, so I'll give it a run and see if I dig it. I think my expectations will be a lot lower since I don't really game anymore.

The trial doesn't do a good job at alllllllllllll of demoing what's good about the game. The game gets so much better like right after that trial ends, it's fucking incredible to me that they couldn't have just extended it a tiny bit.

Solo

C7kZc3xW4AE7n70.jpg

What an inspirational quote.

Yeah, let's go back to this cesspool of shit:

7EoiB4R.png

i'd take that dumb thing over the current dumb thing

Rangers losing home advantage is real dumb

The answer is simple and obvious. You go back to 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5 by conference. Divisions then exist only to clump geographically close teams together. That is easily the best and most fair playoff format.

Or we could get real nuts and go 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, 4v13, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, and 8v9 and just have the top 16 teams in the league go at it.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The trial doesn't do a good job at alllllllllllll of demoing what's good about the game. The game gets so much better like right after that trial ends, it's fucking incredible to me that they couldn't have just extended it a tiny bit.
Yea? It's nice to hear good things in here about it, knowing how hyperbolic Gaf gets with it's hate for any games / movies etc

I legitimately want to warn people with epilepsy about Mass Effect Andromeda. It has screen flickering like crazy sometimes, flashing white, red green and blue over and over. A restart fixes it but dear god it is awful.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah, it's really good once it opens up.

That said, I've had a slew of technical issues. Screen flickering, NPCs not loading in, weapon models not loading in, crashes. All on PC.

I've had few pop-ins & framerate drops on PS4, that's about it. Worst technical problem I've run into is doors not opening when i walk up to them, it's super irritating lol. Sometimes takes like 2-3 seconds.

Chris R

The answer is simple and obvious. You go back to 1v8, 2v7, 3v6, and 4v5 by conference. Divisions then exist only to clump geographically close teams together. That is easily the best and most fair playoff format.

Do you reseed after the first round? I had this discussion last night and I'm firmly in the "no reseed" camp. Draw up the brackets at the start of the playoffs and then go play the fucking game, screw hoping that a #2 loses so you can play the #7 in the 2nd round.

Marvie_3

Banned
Mass Effect is definitely not as bad as GAF claims it is.
GAF overreacting to something? NO WAY

Or we could get real nuts and go 1v16, 2v15, 3v14, 4v13, 5v12, 6v11, 7v10, and 8v9 and just have the top 16 teams in the league go at it.
I would love to see this attempted. Could be pretty entertaining. You could still keep thr 4 division winners as the top 4 seeds if you want but after that its all based on standings.

With a Pro Controller, you never need to detach the Joy-Cons if you dock it. If you're going portable, just slide the whole thing out.

Buffalo and Florida are longshots but not mathematically out yet. Nashville has the last WC spot in the West but is tied for 3rd in the Central.

Washington, Pittsburgh, and Columbus are all in and may rest their veterans rather than go all out for a higher seeding. So those games may not be that tough.

Solo

Do you reseed after the first round? I had this discussion last night and I'm firmly in the "no reseed" camp. Draw up the brackets at the start of the playoffs and then go play the fucking game, screw hoping that a #2 loses so you can play the #7 in the 2nd round.

Hmm....it's a tough one but I think I favor reseeding, simply because the reward for being the top regular season team, aside from the meaningless President's Trophy, should be the best strength of schedule (AKA the easiest road) in the playoffs.

However, brackets can be sexy too because you can project further rounds and you can separate the top 4 teams until the final 4 (if they all make it that far).

I would love to see this attempted. Could be pretty entertaining. You could still keep thr 4 division winners as the top 4 seeds if you want but after that its all based on standings.

Yep I'd love to see it tried too. The 16 best teams get in, regardless of conference or divisional standing, based soley on points

And let's either introduce 3 points for regulation wins, 2 points for OT or shootout wins, 1 point for OT/shootout loss, 0 points for regulation loss OR just eliminate the loser point altogether and make it 2 points for a win of any fashion and 0 points for a loss of any fashion.

Top Bottom