• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It feels like deja vu....but Sens/Habs game this weekend to decide the division? Shouldn't be the case, bt that's what happens when you only pick up 1 of 4 points vs the lowly Wings and Canes. Ugh.
Honestly wouldn't surprise me if the team is just in floater mode, and doesn't give a fuck about winning the division / facing the Rangers, regardless of what they may say.

calder

Winnipeg’s penalty-killing unit has now given up 10 goals in 27 opportunities over its last seven games.

"Our PK’s been kinda struggling and if you’re in the box a lot, it’s definitely not helping the team," said Perreault. "Yeah, we’ve gotta stay out of the box if we want any chance of winning games."

tenor.gif

Eventually something has to be done about the Jets. They've been stuck in mid-card hell since forever: never quite good enough to make the playoffs (except for that one year when they got swept) but never bad enough to go full rebuild.

The Canadiens have a center problem I hope we see this problem solved in the summer Let's look at our centremen:

Galchenyuk- I think I will still classify him as a Cman. Even If he plays on wing some games. Still a great player, needs to get better at the Center man role if he wants to be the number one guy.

Plekanec- Gutter Trash that needs to be sent to Vegas, no longer a top/2nd center, but still a alright 3rd Line center, this is probably the last time we see him in a Habs uniform

Danault- Desharnais 2.0, but in a good way. I don't like him playing on the top line but whatever.He's good 3rd Line center who we got basically for free thanks to Flashman and Dutch Gretzky and the Blackhawks cap hit(thanks Marvie!). It feels like he has more chemistry with Lehkonen and Shaw than with Pacioretty and Radulov.

Mitchell/Ott/McCarron- this is a rotating 4th line center role so let's look at all three guys

McCarron- I love him, he's just starting to find his groove in the NHL but I don't like seeing him as a Enforcer/ Grinder. From his days when he won the Memorial Cup, he's much more than that. He can scrap but I rather he not. He's got potential, I'm not giving up on McCarron like some people online are.

Ott- he's a good Maritime kid from the shores of PEI. He does his job well at being a pest and win faceoffs. My opinion has changed on him. He's one of those "love to have him on your team but hate him on the opposition" players.

Mitchell- A solid 4th line centerman. I have never had a problem with Mitchell. He's good.

What do the Habs Actually need?

A Top/2nd Line Center, rolling with these players down the middle now won't get us far in the playoffs. We need someone that can compete with Galchenyuk for the top job as number one center.

But Creepy, who do we get on July 1st or at Draft?

I have a few suggestions, 5 centerman we should look at are:

Tavares: JUST TRY, Just try to see if he'd come to Montreal 😭

Duchene: it wouldn't hurt to try to get Duchene too, we probably won't.

Nylander: I would be so happy if we got him, but it would be a high price for him because we're a rival team.

Couturier- I feel he would be a more reasonable center to get. He would be perfect for our 2nd line under Galchenyuk.

Bennett- another guy in the same situation as Galchenyuk, the debate of putting him on the wing in Calgary. This could be another situation like Nylander where the price would be too high and Burke would want 50 first round picks

Just some rambling from me today, I've been thinking about this a lot. HabsGAF and the Rest of HockeyGAF are welcome to have any other center suggestions.

calder

Fucking hell Jets are wasting that talent with a garbage coach. Motherfucker is lost as fuck in mediocrity.

It's the most infuriating, insane thing. And the most honestly baffling part is Chevy and Maurice talking extension this summer. WHY. WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYY!?!???

First, I'll ignore the whole "a coach on his last year of a deal can't work because the players won't listen to him" fucking nonsense that management and coaches have somehow convinced everyone is a thing. Now Maurice is saying he won't talk extension until the summer because he doesn't want the distraction mid season. MOTHERFUCKER YOU SUUUUUUCK, AN EXTENSION IS BASICALLY YOU STEALING MONEY FROM IDIOTS JUST TAKE WHATEVER THEY OFFER YOU'RE FIRED IN A YEAR REGARDLESS.

Imagine being objectively bad at your job to the point where anyone who looks at other candidates available to take your place would agree that it would be easy to find an upgrade at your position. Now imagine being that jackass and then haughtily telling the media you don't want to sign a contract extension for a while because you're so busy sucking you just don't have the time. Who fucking does that?!

calder

They Jets have to address their lack of quality in net in the off-season. There are some decent UFA/RFA goalies out there.

Marvin3 is going to let us have Scott Darling this summer and, honestly, that alone might be enough to get us in the playoffs next year. Someone get the engraver to pencil in Maurice's name on 2018 Jack Adams trophy because the team will improve a lot despite his best non-efforts!

Yawnier

Banned

Nylander: I would be so happy if we got him, but it would be a high price for him because we're a rival team.

Nylander has been a RWer for all season, and he probably will be for next season as well as long as Bozo is here.

You can have Ben "Real Gud Human Bean" Smith for free of charge tho

PillarEN

Of course the Red Wings have nothing to gain this year. Looking at the remaining schedule I'm happy that they can at least mess with the Atlantic. A couple games against the Bolts. A couple games against the Sens. One against the Leafs and Canadiens. I'd get the most satisfaction of holding back Tampa because of the last two years.

calder

I'd aim for Bishop - 3 years, 18-20m. Let the younger goalies develop outside of the spotlight.

Bishop is my last choice honestly. He'd be expensive, almost certainly want a long term deal and he's already started his decline.

A guy like Darling will certainly get some offers as a backup and perhaps some well paying ones but he may not get many where he has a strong chance to be the starter. He also has made peanuts up till now so I wonder if you offer him a 3 year deal at like 2M per (bit more than 3 times what he made this year) and basically tell him he'd be coming in as a 1A if he'd bite. If he takes the starter job and performs even close to the level he did this year as a backup he'd be in line for a huge extension or the chance to be sought after UFA.

Quick

Banned
It's the most infuriating, insane thing. And the most honestly baffling part is Chevy and Maurice talking extension this summer. WHY. WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYY!?!???

First, I'll ignore the whole "a coach on his last year of a deal can't work because the players won't listen to him" fucking nonsense that management and coaches have somehow convinced everyone is a thing. Now Maurice is saying he won't talk extension until the summer because he doesn't want the distraction mid season. MOTHERFUCKER YOU SUUUUUUCK, AN EXTENSION IS BASICALLY YOU STEALING MONEY FROM IDIOTS JUST TAKE WHATEVER THEY OFFER YOU'RE FIRED IN A YEAR REGARDLESS.

Imagine being objectively bad at your job to the point where anyone who looks at other candidates available to take your place would agree that it would be easy to find an upgrade at your position. Now imagine being that jackass and then haughtily telling the media you don't want to sign a contract extension for a while because you're so busy sucking you just don't have the time. Who fucking does that?!

Maurice is basically getting a sweet severance package in the guise of an extension when he's eventually fired within the next couple of years.

Bishop is my last choice honestly. He'd be expensive, almost certainly want a long term deal and he's already started his decline.

True, but he's got the starting goalie pedigree - something that Darling, and Winnipeg's own goalies, lack. You want someone back there who isn't a WIP.

Marvie_3

Banned
The Canadiens have a center problem I hope we see this problem solved in the summer
You have a problem Creeper.

Marvin3 is going to let us have Scott Darling this summer and, honestly, that alone might be enough to get us in the playoffs next year. Someone get the engraver to pencil in Maurice's name on 2018 Jack Adams trophy because the team will improve a lot despite his best non-efforts!
Nah. Youre delusional you old shit.

Ben Smith is also a one time STANLEY CUP CHAMPION, and he is built like a tank
Good boy Ben Smith

calder

Nah. Youre delusional you old shit.

Darling is sick of being your underpaid understudy. Dude is scraping by on $587,500 this year, what the hell! Your team is rich and he's making slightly more than minimum wage. It's shameful really, you can't let a player go through the final year of his contract like that without an extension, the other players won't respek him and he won't be able to do his job.

We'll put some money in his pocket and let him start 60% of the games. He won't even need to play the Blackhawks because that's the only team in the league Hellebuyck can beat for whatever reason.

NOTE: would be absolutely willing to toss the Rangers a second round pick or something for Antti Raanta too, whatever.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah, and imbask said that 2 of the 3 were busts. He actually had quite the hard-on for Nylander being a bust, no idea why.

Whoa let's slow down here friend.

All 3 are busts.

Matthews: Why isn't he 30pts better than the #2 pick? BUST
Marner: Oh if you were so good how come you had to play a year in the OHL? BUST
Nylander: Not even a center. BUSSST!

Marvie_3

Banned
Marvie is that first day shipping or a week long wait?
Ships tomorrow.

Darling is sick of being your underpaid understudy. Dude is scraping by on $587,500 this year, what the hell! Your team is rich and he's making slightly more than minimum wage. It's shameful really, you can't let a player go through the final year of his contract like that without an extension, the other players won't respek him and he won't be able to do his job.

We'll put some money in his pocket and let him start 60% of the games. He won't even need to play the Blackhawks because that's the only team in the league Hellebuyck can beat for whatever reason.
No. Go away.

calder

Yeah, and imbask said that 2 of the 3 were busts. He actually had quite the hard-on for Nylander being a bust, no idea why.

Because the ease with which a player's name can be modified with the word "bust" is 90% of how people decide which rookies on other teams are going to suck.

Li'l Willie will always be the Bustlander of our hearts.

Quick

Banned

All 3 are busts.

Too many busts, not enough rill gud human beins

We can only hope to make it to Ben Smith's level of humanity

yyzjohn

Banned

All 3 are busts.

Bustthews
Marnbust or Bustner?
Bustlander.

Solo

The Canadiens have a center problem I hope we see this problem solved in the summer Let's look at our centremen:

Galchenyuk- I think I will still classify him as a Cman. Even If he plays on wing some games. Still a great player, needs to get better at the Center man role if he wants to be the number one guy.

Plekanec- Gutter Trash that needs to be sent to Vegas, no longer a top/2nd center, but still a alright 3rd Line center, this is probably the last time we see him in a Habs uniform

Danault- Desharnais 2.0, but in a good way. I don't like him playing on the top line but whatever.He's good 3rd Line center who we got basically for free thanks to Flashman and Dutch Gretzky and the Blackhawks cap hit(thanks Marvie!). It feels like he has more chemistry with Lehkonen and Shaw than with Pacioretty and Radulov.

Mitchell/Ott/McCarron- this is a rotating 4th line center role so let's look at all three guys

McCarron- I love him, he's just starting to find his groove in the NHL but I don't like seeing him as a Enforcer/ Grinder. From his days when he won the Memorial Cup, he's much more than that. He can scrap but I rather he not. He's got potential, I'm not giving up on McCarron like some people online are.

Ott- he's a good Maritime kid from the shores of PEI. He does his job well at being a pest and win faceoffs. My opinion has changed on him. He's one of those "love to have him on your team but hate him on the opposition" players.

Mitchell- A solid 4th line centerman. I have never had a problem with Mitchell. He's good.

What do the Habs Actually need?

A Top/2nd Line Center, rolling with these players down the middle now won't get us far in the playoffs. We need someone that can compete with Galchenyuk for the top job as number one center.

But Creepy, who do we get on July 1st or at Draft?

Tavares: JUST TRY, Just try to see if he'd come to Montreal 😭

Duchene: it wouldn't hurt to try to get Duchene too, we probably won't.

Couturier- I feel he would be a more reasonable center to get. He would be perfect for our 2nd line under Galchenyuk.

Bennett- another guy in the same situation as Galchenyuk, the debate of putting him on the wing in Calgary. This could be another situation like Nylander where the price would be too high and Burke would want 50 first round picks

Just some rambling from me today, I've been thinking about this a lot. HabsGAF and the Rest of HockeyGAF are welcome to have any other center suggestions.

Tavares is the only one who could make them a legit SC contender. He's also the only one they have no shot at.

Tavares isnt coming to Montreal, BUT, I do hope he doesn't bitch out like Stamkos and instead hits that open market like a champ.

calder

Tavares isnt coming to Montreal, BUT, I do hope he doesn't bitch out like Stamkos and instead hits that open market like a champ.

Yeah, that actually kind of annoyed me solely for depriving us all of some promised high drama on free agent day. Thanks for nothing Stammer.

Cactus

Banned
Leafs won't trade Nylander. I doubt they can trade for a legit #1 defenceman without getting shafted,

It'll probably be something involving JVR/1st/Leipsic for a younger, less established RHD.

calder

I just fired off a couple of emails and realized that about 90% of my day so far has been posting here and looking up backup goalies for the Jets to target for signing or trade based on their age, situation and contract status. For the record: Scott Darling, Antti Raanta, Korpisalo and Grubauer are my choices in rough order or preference.

You know what that means? Lunch time. Let's hope my afternoon is as productive.

Top Bottom