• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Foggy

I just fired off a couple of emails and realized that about 90% of my day so far has been posting here and looking up backup goalies for the Jets to target for signing or trade based on their age, situation and contract status. For the record: Scott Darling, Antti Raanta, Korpisalo and Grubauer are my choices in rough order or preference.

You know what that means? Lunch time. Let's hope my afternoon is as productive.

Re: Korpisalo, it won't happen. For some reason Anton Forsberg keeps flaming out bad when he gets called up, so you wouldn't want him and CBJ wouldn't want him as a backup.

Jackets do have Elvis Merzilikins in the Swiss league who is highly touted(great name too) but he refuses to sign if it means he has to spend time in the AHL and compete with Korpi for the backup spot. You can have Elvis if it means you give back Roslovic. Good Columbus kid, bless his heart.

Lourio

HabsGAF, I don't know what to type/write. I have so much to say, don't know where to start.

I must've started typing a good 30 times and decided to not post anything..

tumblr_nybd9gJzOc1tq4of6o1_500.gif

I just fired off a couple of emails and realized that about 90% of my day so far has been posting here and looking up backup goalies for the Jets to target for signing or trade based on their age, situation and contract status. For the record: Scott Darling, Antti Raanta, Korpisalo and Grubauer are my choices in rough order or preference.

You know what that means? Lunch time. Let's hope my afternoon is as productive.

I played a bunch of Witcher today and replaced one of the tubes in one of my amps. Pretty productive day over here. Just grinding away.

Solo

Yeah, that actually kind of annoyed me solely for depriving us all of some promised high drama on free agent day. Thanks for nothing Stammer.

And really, when you think about it, JT has a LOT more reasons to hit the open market than Stammer did. Tampa had been to the ECF final and the SC final the 2 seasons before he went UFA. So he was on a contender, in a beautiful climate, and dem tax breaks. Meanwhile JT hasn't gotten any significant playoff progress with the Isles, he's in fucking Long Island, and he's perennially the stud on a middling team. I can actually see Tavares wanting out.

If he tested the market....lawd, the contract he'd get.

Parch

Well, yeah.
He plays on a line with Patrick Maroon.
Maroon the Masterton nominee. Draisaitl and Maroon (plus some other guy) have been gold for the Oilers.

Methot's finger is gross. The league needs to start thinking about cracking down on the stick slash because even though hitting the hand wasn't the intent, those finger and wrist injuries can be lengthy. It has become way too acceptable to hack the stick.

Solo

Crazy stat I picked up from hfboards.

McDavid has 87 points this year. Montreal's 4 centres last night (Danault, Plekanec, Shaw, McCarron) have combined for 93 points this year. Ouch.

Parch

Bishop is my last choice honestly. He'd be expensive, almost certainly want a long term deal and he's already started his decline.
Friggin' goaltenders man. It's a huge gamble to give 'em big money long term because performance can fluctuate significantly from year to year. Bishop was considered one of the elite at the start of the year. Now he's a very expensive backup.

Uh, Bishop hasn't been bad. He got traded because of a younger, cheaper Vasilevskiy and the expansion draft. He should easily get Elliott/Andersen money next season.

Parch

The Oiler strategy is simple. Let Connor fly and everybody else grind it out to prevent a minus. There's a lot of cap money on the 2nd line that needs to provide more secondary scoring instead of always relying on the one man show.

Any Oiler playoff success is going to rely on the refs. If it's the typical trend of putting the whistle in the pocket and only calling violent penalties then the clutch and grab will shut down McDavid. Gotta let the kid fly.

Reckheim

Do you think Nylander and Marner are enough for Brandon Montour?

Unspoilered spoiler: The Leafs are not going to acquire a #1 overall defenceman via a trade.

You're absolutely right. Nylander isn't getting traded unless its an over payment and no one is willing to over pay for offense in today's league.

As for getting a second line D similar to Zaitsev, imo that would be enough to solidify the defense.

Yawnier

Banned
You're absolutely right. Nylander isn't getting traded unless its an over payment and no one is willing to over pay for offense in today's league.

As for getting a second line D similar to Zaitsev, imo that would be enough to solidify the defense.

I've been looking at the UFA d-men this summer and honestly there isn't a ton there, though there are quite a few #5 or #6 guys like there usually is most years that you could gamble on for being underutilized or being buried on a deep team, and hope they could be halfway decent on the second pairing.

Shattenkirk is gonna sign with the Rags anyways, and Alzner is very 'meh' to me.

I wonder if leafs managmenet would go after a Brendan Smith (good mimico kid) or bring back someone like J-M Liles, if nothing else then to shore up that 3rd pairing.

calder

Listened to Kendrick's new single. Great stuff, as always the best rapper in the world remains the best... and yet I was like wow this is long. Still going huh? Musically it's a bit meh and while his bars are incredible and his actual vocal ability is god-tier I never like his actual songs as much as other guys. I'm always more impressed-in-theory than entertained by Kendrick I guess.

I prefer Drake singing like a goofball over a sweet track. There, I said it.

Parch

Learn a lesson from the Oilers who spent a decade trying to get a #1 defenceman. It's almost impossible unless you're willing to grossly overpay.

Parch

"Other people"? Almost universally the trade was panned and people said the Oilers were robbed in giving up so much for just Larsson. What are you smoking?
Right now if the Oilers were offered Taylor Hall for Larsson, they wouldn't do it.

Reckheim

"Other people"? Almost universally the trade was panned and people said the Oilers were robbed in giving up so much for just Larsson. What are you smoking?

I never once said that the Oilers didn't over pay, they did. That's the whole point, you have to over pay to get a defensman that in some eyes is a first line defensman.

Edit: whether I thought Larsson was a first line defensman is a moot point, I was wrong. I admit it.

I don't think Parch was saying the Oilers got one in the Taylor Hall trade.

Besides! Everyone knows that Hall was traded because he was upset that Connor McDavid was the new franchise guy and decided to become a malignant presence in the locker room. Oilers were never going to get full value for him.

edit: Oh, he clarified. And you vicious monsters won't leave him alone.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't think Parch was saying the Oilers got one in the Taylor Hall trade.

Besides! Everyone knows that Hall was traded because he was upset that Connor McDavid was the new franchise guy and decided to become a malignant presence in the locker room. Oilers were never going to get full value for him.

edit: Oh, he clarified. And you vicious monsters won't leave him alone.

Well then, given that both the Oilers and Leafs have improved, and nobody is saying Larsson is a #1 defenseman, exactly what lesson are we trying to learn from the Oilers? That you don't need a true #1 defenseman to be a playoff team?

Parch

It's only rumors that nobody will admit, but yeah, Taylor Hall wasn't getting a lot of respect in the dressing room. The Devils can have him. Perhaps their crap season just might have something to do with Taylor Hall?

I'll take Larsson and the playoffs anytime.

The Leafs D has been so much better since Gardiner was paired with Zaitsev and Rielly had his load lightened matchup wise.

I understand the philosophy behind teaching Rielly how to be a top pairing guy by forcing him to just do it, but it was clearly not working out and I'm glad they made a change.

Foggy

I think Parch was making the point you're lambasting him with. Either draft #1D, overpay in free agency, or overpay in a trade. Or have a pariah #1C that you can trade away.

If Toronto can't part with Nylander+ then good luck catching an UFA.

Cake Boss

Banned
It's only rumors that nobody will admit, but yeah, Taylor Hall wasn't getting a lot of respect in the dressing room. The Devils can have him. Perhaps their crap season just might have something to do with Taylor Hall?

I'll take Larsson and the playoffs anytime.

Yeah because Larsson is the reason your in the playoffs, not the generational talent putting the whole team on his back.

Yeah that must be it. An average 3-4 dman is what was stopping you from being the playoffs.

Parch

exactly what lesson are we trying to learn from the Oilers? That you don't need a true #1 defenseman to be a playoff team?
That getting a #1 defenseman via trade is impossible, which is what a lot of Leaf fans are hoping for and expecting.

yyzjohn

Banned
I think Parch was making the point you're lambasting him with. Either draft #1D, overpay in free agency, or overpay in a trade. Or have a pariah #1C that you can trade away.

I would say Zaitsev has had the same impact to the Leafs that Larsson has had to the Oilers, and the Leafs got him for nothing. They're both not #1 defensemen, but they've helped solidify the pairings somewhat. Hall might have been a special circumstance of addition by subtraction if the rumors of him being a suck and locker room shit are to be believed.

Parch

Either draft #1D, overpay in free agency, or overpay in a trade. Or have a pariah #1C that you can trade away.

Drafting Nail Yakupov instead of Ryan Murray was a huge mistake. When you have a big need, don't be afraid to reach for it because there are very few guarantees in the draft. Fill your need whenever you can, especially when trading for that need has proven to be futile.

Top Bottom