• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2017 |OT| All in

Happy trails, Coyotes. It's been real. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

On Tuesday, the Arizona Coyotes and National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman on Tuesday threatened to move the franchise out of Arizona if the Legislature does not approve $225 million in public financing for a new arena in downtown Phoenix or the East Valley.

"The Arizona Coyotes must have a new arena location to succeed," Bettman wrote in a letter. "The Coyotes cannot and will not remain in Glendale."

AZ Republic Op-Ed

The Coyotes want $225 million in public money to help pay for a new arena complex either in downtown Phoenix or the East Valley. Team owners moan that they just haven’t been able to turn a profit on the west side.

I wonder… Is the team’s inability to turn a profit because this Valley won’t support hockey? Or is it because this Valley won’t support bad hockey?

There is no doubt (never has been, in my mind) that the Coyotes made a critical mistake when they went racing off to the west side, abandoning their east side fan base because Glendale was offering the team the world.

Glendale made a mistake and is paying for it.

The Coyotes made a mistake and are paying for it.

What I can’t figure out is this… what mistake did the rest of us make, that we should be muscled into turning over $225 million in future tax revenues ... or else?

This isn’t the 1990s, Mr. Bettman, when team owners (and league owners) can make noise about leaving and cities snap to it, giving teams whatever they want. (Something, perhaps, for the Diamondbacks to remember.)

A recent statewide poll indicated that 68% of Arizona voters oppose the Coyotes’ plan to create a special taxing district in order to build another arena. In Maricopa County, 71 percent of voters panned the idea.

Nothing to do now but plan for the moving trucks. It was inevitable. Still sad.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Detroit still has a chance to do something incredible this year

According to NHL.com Riley Sheahan is two shots away from the most SOG by a forward without scoring a goal in NHL history.

C6anzosWQAAcDGj.jpg:large

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Depending on how this 3 game series against the Sens goes, it seems like we're already set to play the Rangers in the first round.

Yeah, I'd say if you guys can take two of those games against the Sens you can pretty much lock that series in. The Rangers are going to finish in 4th barring truly extraordinary circumstances. Nobody is catching up to us from below unless we completely and totally self-destruct. The teams fighting for the second wild card have between 10 and 15 fewer ROW than the Rangers do, which is ridiculous, and there's a 15 point buffer between us and the second wild card. We're probably not going to catch up to the teams above us unless the Pens or BJs have a massive collapse, since both of them have games in hand on us.

With 15 games to go in the season, the Rangers are 10 wins away from the franchise record for wins in a season and practically locked into 4th place in the division. Shit is absurd.

calder

Happy trails, Coyotes. It's been real. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

AZ Republic Op-Ed

That sucks. I know that specific, shitty pain all too well, so nothing but compassion from this end.

That said, and no disrespect to anyone who'll get screwed over in the interim, but let's all just hope that this is another step in the process of civic governments realizing that subsidizing professional sports is fucking stupid. Let's ALL just stop doing that asap.

Foggy

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the BJs or the Pens tumble to the WC1 spot because injuries are starting to slowly accumulate. Hopefully they'll slow down.

In the Jackets favor is a pretty easy schedule on paper with only 5 of the 17 games against teams currently in playoff position. Some of the others are against bubble teams like Philly and Toronto though. 2 of the games are against the Caps which is why the fanbase is whispering about the Presidents trophy which is still a longshot as far as I'm concerned.

Curufinwe

LeBrun saying the league isn't going to make the protected player lists public because the GMs want to keep it secret. They 're dumb as rocks if they think that shit won't leak.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
LeBrun saying the league isn't going to make the protected player lists public because the GMs want to keep it secret. They 're dumb as rocks if they think that shit won't leak.

i guess a big reason is the GMs are looking at it as a way to clear salary and if a player that's not protected and not chosen, the player could perceive as the GM not wanting them around anymore.

calder

"I can't stand the thought of people on twitter disecting my shitty roster moves my players being distressed by the expansion draft!

Curufinwe

I don't think guys on the bubble of being protected are going to be OK with their GMs keeping it a secret so that even some protected players have to spend the four days between the protected lists being submitted and Vegas announcing who they picked, worrying that they and their families are moving to Vegas.

April 30: Draft lottery is conducted, order announced. Vegas receives its first official asset in the NHL, which will be one of the top six selections.

June 15-17?: Pre-expansion buyout window will be available to all thirty teams prior to expansion

June 17: All thirty teams submit a protection list, which must meet the expansion exposure quotas

June 17-20: Vegas has three days to make its thirty selections, which also must meet league quotas

June 21: Vegas' thirty selections are made public, effective immediately

June 23-24: NHL Entry Draft

June 25: Minimum Qualifying Offers due to outgoing Restricted Free Agents (If RFA is not tendered a MQO, he becomes unrestricted)

June 30: Contracts and clauses expiration

July 1: Free Agency begins, June buyout window ends

July 4: Filing Deadline for salary arbitration (for those eligible)

July 15-August 1?: Salary arbitration appointments scheduled; 2nd buyout window for teams opens

Should have just moved the Coyotes to Las Vegas. This isn't hindsight either, was obvious then. Now we have this expansion draft bullshit and an odd number of teams.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the BJs or the Pens tumble to the WC1 spot because injuries are starting to slowly accumulate. Hopefully they'll slow down.

In the Jackets favor is a pretty easy schedule on paper with only 5 of the 17 games against teams currently in playoff position. Some of the others are against bubble teams like Philly and Toronto though. 2 of the games are against the Caps which is why the fanbase is whispering about the Presidents trophy which is still a longshot as far as I'm concerned.
The Rangers almost exclusively play against playoff or playoff hunt teams the rest of the way. Only 3 of their remaining 15 games are against teams that are not realistically in the playoff chase (CAR, NJ, DET), and even all of them are technically within 10 points or so of the wild card because parity is stupid. Otherwise, they still have Tampa Bay (again), Florida (again), Minnesota, the Islanders, the California Road Trip™, the Flyers, Capitals, Senators, and Penguins twice.

And 10 of the remaining 15 games are going to be played as back-to-back sets. It's a pretty bizarre schedule, really. Not really conducive to making the kind of run the Rangers would need to put together in order to actually chase down either the Penguins or BJs, both in terms of the difficulty of the games and the choppy start and stop of the schedule disrupting any team rhythm.

Chris R

So if the yotes have to move, where do they go?

Assuming Seattle is the other west expansion team (please) I could see Portland or Milwaukee working. Or does Hamilton get it's team and someone like Columbus comes west?

calder

Ah yes, I'm remembering now why I don't usually bother with OT threads about movies and tv shows I like. It's because a weird minority of people just don't seem to know how to actually watch shit and it's baffling and annoying. Either pay attention and *watch* it or else don't, but don't half watch shit, misunderstand it and then complain it's boring.

Honestly, my wife is a bit like that and it kills me. She has weird random questions about what's going on midway through an episode of a strongly serialized show and it makes me wonder if she's actually been napping for hours. She also has this incredibly annoying weakness with, as she puts it, "recognizing faces" which strikes me as kinda bullshit and entirely aggravating.

Solo

I might have to go see a Habs/Rags game if it happens. Only other playoff game I've gone to so far was Habs/Bruins Game 3 in Round 2 in 2014 (the one with the Subban breakaway goal that was in every Subban highlight reel until he was run out of town). It was such an electric atmosphere. Funny enough, after beating the Bruins in 7, the Habs went on to face Krieder and the Rags in the ECF.

Curufinwe

Ah yes, I'm remembering now why I don't usually bother with OT threads about movies and tv shows I like. It's because a weird minority of people just don't seem to know how to actually watch shit and it's baffling and annoying. Either pay attention and *watch* it or else don't, but don't half watch shit, misunderstand it and then complain it's boring.

Most of the people on my ignore list are from GoT show threads.

Reckheim

So if the yotes have to move, where do they go?

Assuming Seattle is the other west expansion team (please) I could see Portland or Milwaukee working. Or does Hamilton get it's team and someone like Columbus comes west?

So is Quebec 100% out of the question now? IMO it would make the most sense (based on demand).

calder

Most of the people on my ignore list are from GoT show threads.

Oh god, that's exactly why I could never go in the GoT threads. People who complained the Night's Watch were so boring and unmemorable they actively stop watching the show when they are on ("I always just read FB and twitter when the show is at the Wall, it's too dull") and then act confused and cranky because they don't know who's who during the climax of the plotline and don't get why other viewers found Grenn's sacrifice moving.

imBask

Banned
So is Quebec 100% out of the question now? IMO it would make the most sense (based on demand).

they're not, but they got bamboozled so many times now and in such a spectacular way that i'm still expecting the same thing to happen

also we need more teams in the west

Thanks for the love fellas, appreciated. Is what it is. Can't deny it any longer.

The San Diego Coyotes doesn't sound that bad now that I think about it

The Gulls are pretty great to go watch, but the rink is straight up 70's. And since SD wouldn't approve taxpayer funds for the Chargers, no way they do so for hockey. It's alright though, going to an old school rink with great SD beers ain't so bad. Hell, they're playing tonight, think I'll go.

Rumor: Hawks-age insterested in Queso once he reaches free agency (E5)

Tempting! However, I signed my letter of intent to join up with the Duck contingent some time ago. The Gulls being the farm club for the Ducks offers some synergies.

let's all just hope that this is another step in the process of civic governments realizing that subsidizing professional sports is fucking stupid. Let's ALL just stop doing that asap.

Agreed. SD did the right thing even if the Chargers left. Phoenix would be doing the right thing to turn this down too. These ownership groups have more than enough money to fund their own stadiums if they so chose and they don't because they know it's a money losing proposition. Public funds shouldn't protect the pockets of billionaire ownership groups.

Marvie_3

Banned
also we need more teams in the west
Milwaukee and Seattle please.

Tempting! However, I signed my letter of intent to join up with the Duck contingent some time ago. The Gulls being the farm club for the Ducks offers some synergies.
Ducks are a shithead team only tolerable because their fanbase on GAF is so adorable.

Hawks-age has more to offer.

Agreed. SD did the right thing even if the Chargers left. Phoenix would be doing the right thing to turn this down too. These ownership groups have more than enough money to fund their own stadiums if they so chose and they don't because they know it's a money losing proposition. Public funds shouldn't protect the pockets of billionaire ownership groups.
Absolutely. Pisses me off when cities bend so far backwards for pro sports arenas. They dont boost the economy or provide anywhere near the number of jobs they claim. Theyre a total waste of money for cities. Let these teams build their own stadiums if they need them so bad. Otherwise, they can fuck off.

Holiday

Banned
Queso join me in Blues GAF. We can talk about Coyotes/Blues crossover legends such as Keith Tkachuk, Dallas Drake, and Zybnek Michalek, and wonder what ever happened to Freyjadour and if he'll ever come back.

Quick

Banned

AZ Republic Op-Ed

Sending some AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs to you, Queso.

You're welcome to join Leafs-Age. Ya boy Matthews doing great things and it all started with watching a Yotes game.

Parch

We know what the NHL wants for expansion/relocation. Solid ownership and a quality arena, or at least guaranteed plans for a quality arena. There are logical markets that could support an NHL franchise, but without a top grade owner and arena, it's not happening.

Pikma

Banned
ehh okay.. i dont really follow football much besides the world cup sometimes. i dont get the reference.

Barcelona won 6-1, cool i guess? i dont get whats so special, that wasnt even close or anything.
But I thought it was the greatest sport in the world

Make up your mind

Chris R

ehh okay.. i dont really follow football much besides the world cup sometimes. i dont get the reference.

Barcelona won 6-1, cool i guess? i dont get whats so special, that wasnt even close or anything.

It was close. This stage of the UEFA Champions League is a two tie affair. One is played at one teams home stadium, the next leg is at the other stadium.

Barcelona was down 4-0 after the first leg. The 6-1 result today was needed, because of the away goal rule (a 5-1 finish would have seen PSG advance, tied 5-5 aggregate, with PSG scoring the only away goal in the tie). So it was really that close.

fuck barca

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How can they be 3-0 in game 7? Lmao

... 3-0 in the series, comeback to 3-3 and then up by 3 in game 7. It's a thing.

Either way - Barca pulled off the biggest comeback in modern soccer history and they did so at the VERY last play of the game. Insane.

Top Bottom