• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2013 |OT| 3rd Degree Assault. 2nd Degree Kidnapping. 1st Degree Racism

calder

Huge fucking news alright. Interested to see how it's going to shake out, but I see a lot of potential positives right now. Sure SN's regional telecasts are often shitty but there's no doubt they will improve as a national broadcaster - like Gord Miller will have some free time next year so I have to assume some guys will simply move over.

The potential sidelining of Don Cherry makes any potential growing pains more than worth it IMO. :p

Oh and I bet TSN needs their big NHL reporters/analysts *more* than before. I bet TSN will expand That's Hockey and spin off their NHL on TSN pregame panel show. Bobby Mac and Dregs aren't going anywhere, they don't need live games to break trade news.

EDIT: a lot of the positives for me are the fact that removing regional rights for the SN properties maybe means I get to see more Flames/Oilers on Snet West again. Hell, I may start seeing the Sens games that were on Snet East? Not really sure what's going on there.

RC

Banned
So much Sportsnet hate here, yeesh. Monopolies are never fun, but I'm fine with Hockeycental able to have a wider presence.

I like Hockeycentral. Hearing Kyperios and McLean constantly bicker with one another makes that panel.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How long was the regional Habs on TSN deal?
Their rights end this season, and then they'll have to be renegotiated.

Interesting note for TVA, if another team is put in Quebec, TVA also has dibs on their broadcasting rights.

calder

So much Sportsnet hate here, yeesh. Monopolies are never fun, but I'm fine with Hockeycental able to have a wider presence.

I think there is bad/annoying talent on every channel (TSN, SN, CBC, etc) so I'm not worried about that at all. Guys that I think do great work on TSN specifically on the game broadcasts like Ferraro or Miller will be in demand no matter what.

As much as I complain about them, I have to admit the Hockeycentral panel somehow makes the only NHL daily talk I listen to daily (as a podcast). It's weird how I don't particularly *like* any of the regulars but they somehow combine to make a reasonably entertaining and informative daily show, albeit way too Leafs centric (like that's not an issue with TSN or CBC too).

I like Hockeycentral. Hearing Kyperios and McLean constantly bicker with one another makes that panel.

Also, this lol.

ShaneB

Sounds like something a Rogers employee would say!

I worked at a Rogers call centre for like 3 weeks (2 weeks training) and then quit, like 7 years ago. I guess I am biased, fuck Bell! :p and I do use Teksavvy, which uses Rogers lines. Oh man, this goes deeper than I thought!

They both show more personality than anyone on the TSN panels.

I think there is bad/annoying talent on every channel (TSN, SN, CBC, etc) so I'm not worried about that at all. Guys that I think do great work on TSN specifically on the game broadcasts like Ferraro or Miller will be in demand no matter what.

As much as I complain about them, I have to admit the Hockeycentral panel somehow makes the only NHL daily talk I listen to daily (as a podcast). It's weird how I don't particularly *like* any of the regulars but they somehow combine to make a reasonably entertaining and informative daily show, albeit way too Leafs centric (like that's not an issue with TSN or CBC too).

My favourite hockey personalities are all over the place, I just enjoy hockey analysis, be it from SN, TSN, or CBC, even the Score when it was around, since I do like Kouleas even now on TSN. My favourite call guys generally tend to be Hughson and Cuthbert, with some of the on ice guys. I generally don't care who broadcasts the game, as long as I can see it. I'm more football focused right now, but when the season is over, yeah, the Hockeycentral podcast is daily listening for me as well

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Their rights end this season, and then they'll have to be renegotiated.

Fuck sakes.

I wonder if Sportsnet is keeping their team specific broadcasters, and we could get someone decent, unfortunately Randorf probably has a long contract at TSN doing the CFL stuff.

iT9T5au.jpg

Not bad.

Merguson

Banned
I think TSN still can air some Leafs games on a regional level since there was an agreement between Bell/Rogers to split the regional games. TSN had the national rights at the time.

Or am I incorrect?

yyzjohn

Banned
I think TSN still can air some Leafs games on a regional level since there was an agreement between Bell/Rogers to split the regional games. TSN had the national rights at the time.

Or am I incorrect?

Not sure about that, you're referring to the current deal in place, but this new deal sounds like Rogers has exclusive rights in Canada across all different platforms. Based on all the doom and gloom from the TSN guys, sounds like they're screwed.

Preemo

Banned
Originally Posted by Desibabu

Didn't think Subban would be down there asking questions.

:lol :lol He even learned French! Give him the C already.

LMAO! you guuuuuuyyys!

on topic: this deal reaks of higher cable prices and fluffy "interaction", as well as Bettmans, and the boards dislike of certain people.

Red_Man

So HNIC will be streamlined across all their channels on Saturday nights. Rogers guy cited Cherry, and Cole as legends, but ignored Stock and Healy.

Or am I incorrect?
No, they can only air Jets games, and if they successfully re-negotiate the Habs rights then Habs games as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
LMAO! you guuuuuuyyys!

on topic: this deal reaks of higher cable prices and fluffy "interaction", as well as Bettmans, and the boards dislike of certain people.

Fucking prices can't get any higher. Way too high already causing me to get less channels.

Parch

I don't like this.

Not just because of more of those Hockeycentral clowns, but the removal of TSN and TSN2 means less opportunity for games. Sportsnet says they'll increase their coverage, but they'll need to add a lot of games to make up for the loss of 2 channels. I suspect they'll show more games on SN360 and the regional networks, but that means paying more to get those channels since they're not part of the standard cable package. Hinting about increased "pay per view" sucks too. If they really did open the vault and spend 8X the amount to get this deal, you can bet they'll be looking at ways to hit the fans to cover that cost.

I don't like this at all.

Preemo

Banned
Fucking prices can't get any higher. Way too high already causing me to get less channels.

unless new revenue streams and licenses offset these expenses, expect some sort of price increase in Rogers services across the board within 12 months.

$5.2b is a lot of money even across 12 years for a broadcasting company in Canada.
its bullshit we dont get more details.

Red_Man

$5.2b is a lot of money even across 12 years for a broadcasting company in Canada.
its bullshit we dont get more details.
None of this comes into effect until next season, so there's lots of time for them to figure stuff out.

I hate Sportsnet because they're wildly incompetent and treat local Canucks games as a 2nd tier sport to fucking MLB and NFL.

Oh, and fuck Don Taylor, what a massive piece of shit.

Red_Man

Millard just showed in that conference how amateur he his, especially compared to the TSN staff. Not an ounce of professionalism in the man, he was practically jerking himself off in front of everyone.

Red_Man

Or am I incorrect?
Looks like you were right and I was wrong:

My understanding is that TSN retains regional rights in new agreement to 10 Leafs games, 26 regional Leafs games and 60+ regional Jets games

Parch

For the american fans, this doesn't seem to mean anything about coverage, but it's a huge revenue increase for NHL teams. Sportsnet opened the vault to get these Canadian broadcast rights.

Kipper just said small market teams like Florida will now get an additional $7M per season on top of what they're already getting. Maybe he's just pulling a number out of his ass, but whatever the number, NHL teams just got a huge revenue increase.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/11/26/nhl_deal_with_rogers_a_huge_blow_to_tsn_and_cbc_mudhar.html

The CBC is also going to look very different as this deal gets underway. According to an internal memo, Hockey Night in Canada is only going to air on CBC for four more years. Even more importantly, it’s is going to be a Rogers production.

Wow that could get pretty interesting to see how Canadians feel about that.

And get ready for new personalities on the HNIC’s lead-in show, and potentially, the end of Ron Maclean and Don Cherry. Both are high-priced talent, but are synonymous with the CBC broadcasts. You have to wonder whether Rogers will want to deal with the semi-annual headaches that Cherry brings.

I know we don't care if Cherry is gone but he like or hate him he's treated like a national treasure up here, it won't be easy for them to just kick him to the curb.

For the american fans, this doesn't seem to mean anything about coverage, but it's a huge revenue increase for NHL teams. Sportsnet opened the vault to get these Canadian broadcast rights.

Kipper just said small market teams like Florida will now get an additional $7M per season on top of what they're already getting. Maybe he's just pulling a number out of his ass, but whatever the number, NHL teams just got a huge revenue increase.

Well I'm cool with all this, then. Sucks for anyone who can't get access to the new networks if that's a problem at all. Just grab yourself a HS subscription.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So anything stopping Sportsnet from showing every single Canadian game now? (Aside from the regional stuff owned by TSN of course)

It would be nice if I didn't have to subscribe to TVA, and they showed all of those games on Sportsnet as well.

So in 5 years time, the only NHL broadcaster in Canada might be the bargain bin reject of sports networks?

Jesus Christ...

At least now I don't have to worry about having to buy cable.

Top Bottom