• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2013 |OT| 3rd Degree Assault. 2nd Degree Kidnapping. 1st Degree Racism

Socreges

Banned
I am super disappointed but I think the direction they should go is make TSN the true ESPN of the North. Give coverage to NFL, College Football, and NBA. Have shows like First Take, 30 on 30, E:60, ESPN Films, SportsNation, etc.
That really isn't an option and I don't think having nearly exclusive American programming would be a successful model in Canada anyhow. Not for a sports channel that wants to retain its #1 spot.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Bobs one of the best in business, hopefully he can continue doing what he does with TSN, or he's picked up by Sportsnet. He needs to be one of the primary figureheads in hockey. I'm torn because I hate Bell and like to see them lose out but I also hate Rogers.

Tabris

Wait, one thing I wasn't sure on as they keep saying national NHL rights. Can they still play content like Penguins vs Capitals, but just can't pick up any canadian team games, or across the board no NHL games?

Bobs one of the best in business, hopefully he can continue doing what he does with TSN, or he's picked up by Sportsnet. He needs to be one of the primary figureheads in hockey. I'm torn because I hate Bell and like to see them lose out but I also hate Rogers.

Is there a single non-shady non-anti-consumer telecomm company in Canada?

How does TSN not pony up the cash after they spent the better part of a decade shaping their station around the NHL?

Also, Doug McLean on a national scale scares me...

Red_Man

TVA is offically the french broadcaster for the NHL now too, RDS gets the boot. Absolutely ridiculous.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rogers Communications and the National Hockey League have signed a 12-year broadcast and multimedia agreement worth $5.2 billion that includes all national rights to NHL games on all platforms in all languages.

The deal, which begins with the 2014-15 season, is still subject to approval by the NHL’s board of governors on Dec. 9-10.

CBC will continue to broadcast Hockey Night in Canada, Rogers says.

Rogers Communications is the parent company of City, CityNews and CityNews.ca.

More to come
http://www.citynews.ca/2013/11/26/rogers-nhl-sign-12-year-broadcast-agreement/

Kifimbo

BZ_xnLgCUAAtOee.png

Red_Man

I wonder if Renaud Lavoie had some kind of inkling that this was going to happen and that's why he left RDS for TVA back in the summer.

Red_Man

Apparently only 22 CH games + playoffs on TVA Sports. How does this work ? The other 60 games on RDS still ?
Split across networks like the Leafs. Guess Sportnet will be showing some, and I still don't know if TSN has a regional contract for Habs games beyond this season.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The deal gives Rogers a great deal of control over NHL content. In addition to television rights, it controls mobile rights, Internet streaming, and terrestrial and satellite radio rights. That includes all regular season games, playoff games and events such as the All-Star Game and draft.

It also controls the highlights, including condensed games and video archives and will operate the NHL’s own NHL Center Ice and NHL Game Centre Live. It will also handle advertising sales for NHL.com.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...al-with-nhl-worth-52-billion/article15600412/

Wow.

TVA press release: http://www.quebecor.com/en/comm/tva-sports-becomes-nhl’s-official-french-broadcaster

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Sportsnets coverage is terrible, ugh.

Really TSN is just left with the NBA and CFL/NFL.

Not even fully. Sportsnet shows Thursday night football and the 4pm games on Sunday.

I assume they'll get rid of those with all this hockey coming in.

Red_Man

TSN has the rights to the World Juniors for the next 10 years, along with 8 years of Jets coverage. Rogers will have national coverage on Wed, Sat and Sunday nights, and claims no more regional games or local blackouts. Rogers also has full control of HNIC coverage, so Stock may finally get the boot. I'd love to see a guy like Gord Miller on HNIC or on Sportsnet coverage, probably the best commentator for hockey right now.

lupinko

Not even fully. Sportsnet shows Thursday night football and the 4pm games on Sunday.

I assume they'll get rid of those with all this hockey coming in.

Actually I figure with all this hockey coming in, UFC will probably be moved to Sportsnet360 the former Score.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Oh good news everyone not a Leafs fan. It looks like the Leafs won't always be on CBC every Saturday, so you got that now. So now you can ignore them as you always wanted to.

sammich

This is fucking terrible. SN cant even get their audio and video in sync for flames games. Goddamn amateur hour. Utterly horrible news. And now more of McLean and Kypreos i bet. Ugh.

Plus no leafs every saturday... Oi this gets even better /sarcasm.

Kifimbo

Ok, for the other 60 Habs games, they belong to the team. Since Bell is a minority owner of the team, and Bell = RDS, I guess all 60 will be broadcast on RDS. Which means you'll have to buy two French sports channels instead of 1.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Whos excited to see Doug Maclean during the Stanley Cup finals?

Also who do you think might jump ship here? 12 years is a long time...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh good news everyone not a Leafs fan. It looks like the Leafs won't always be on CBC every Saturday, so you got that now. So now you can ignore them as you always wanted to.
Nah they'll find something else to bitch about

Damn am I still bitter after last night.

Fuck Fraser! Bring back Ranger Danger! Gardiner had a shitty shitty game too.

Whos excited to see Doug Maclean during the Stanley Cup finals?

Also who do you think might jump ship here? 12 years is a long time...

Kypreos vs Dreger again :lol

Dreger goes to Sportsnet.
Pierre will probably stay at ESPN and work sometimes on CBC.
Ferraro will go to CBC, he lives in Vancouver sooooo...
Aaron Ward to NBC.
McKenzie will retire sooner than later.
Duthie? FoxSports 1?

Red_Man

No one cares about Ward. Dredger, Miller, McKenzie and Ferraro all deserve jobs elsewhere and shouldn't have an issue finding work. Duthie is just a host, I like him but he's not that important. Dredger just said his contract with TSN has another 6-7 years.

More Sportsnet, fucking great. Looking forward to seeing more advertisements covering a fifth of the screen during play and ads and stupid stats crammed so tight between plays that you miss the first few seconds of every other start in play. In fact, with all that money they spent, why not go big and have ads covering a full half of the screen for half the game? I swear now, if Cbc keeps Healey around for the next few years, I am going to be depressed.

Top Bottom