• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2014 |OT| Cleary Must Be Always

yyzjohn

Banned
Exactly. It feels like this is some idea a suit cooked up to help build rapport between the fans and the collection of socially awkward jockos that is the Leafs' roster.

Cactus, did you really think that was a great bounce-back game? It was nice for them to get the W, but they again gave up too many shots and are relying on a high shooting and save percentage.

Shots were 21-17 going into the 3rd and Leafs were up 4-1. You play differently when you're ahead and tend to give up more shots so I wouldn't look at final tally.

Shots were 21-17 going into the 3rd and Leafs were up 4-1. You play differently when you're ahead and tend to give up more shots so I wouldn't look at final tally.

I think it matters. It's the same defensive 'shell' they revert to every time they go into the 3rd with a lead. The team gets a 1 or 2 goal lead, and then sits back and lets the other team back into the game.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think it matters. It's the same defensive 'shell' they revert to every time they go into the 3rd with a lead. The team gets a 1 or 2 goal lead, and then sits back and lets the other team back into the game.

I remember shots being 3-3 in the third for a while until Tampa pulled the goalie and upped the pressure with like 5 minutes left.

Until they pulled the goalie the third was a brutal, boring period which is fine with a 3 goal lead.

For once they did what they had to until things got crazy in the last 5 minutes.

yyzjohn

Banned

Still not outlandish...they kept shots to under 30 the entire game. That's a shot total I can live with.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
It would be nice if the media was respectful enough in situations like this to stand back and let things happen without reacting negatively. Manufacturing idiotic and irrelevant stories like this one does nothing but hinder the team.

The Leafs had a great bounce-back game, yet the big story the next morning is that they didn't wave their sticks to the fans for 45 seconds afterwards...and somehow this is being directly tied to Phaneuf's leadership capabilities? GTFO.

Pretty much this. I didn't watch the game so I can't comment on how well they played but they won yet this lack of stick waving is the story is stupid.

kingslunk

A total aside, but this reminded me of the Kings fan sitting behind me in Game 2 of last season's playoffs telling his Kings fan buddy about Teemu Selanne's "old partner" Mike "Molano" and how they used to play together on the Dallas Rangers. I'm pretty sure he was thinking of Kariya but God only knows.

Man I miss Mike Molano.

Dallas Rangers were the best team in hockey history too. Especially when they had Selanne, Gretzky, and Molano. Man were unstoppable back in the day.

kingslunk

john_klingberg_dallas_112014.jpg

Glad the kid grabbed his first NHL goal last night.

He's been playing great for being so new to the game. Playing less than 10 games clocking an average of 20+ minutes a game?

Hope he continues to get better and better. We need a solid right hand D man on our team.

In klingberg we trust

Calamari41

41 > 38
Man I miss Mike Molano.

Dallas Rangers were the best team in hockey history too. Especially when they had Selanne, Gretzky, and Molano. Man were unstoppable back in the day.

Boy, the 70's... what a great decade for hockey with those three in their prime. Too bad the Rangers moved to MLB shortly after that period.

Yawnier

Banned
Saw that one guy on the tsn panel complaining about the leafs not saluting the fans, something something Kessel and Phaneuf planned it and Franson was about to go to center ice but went to the locker room instead? lololol

Leafs on pace for 90 points and just missing the playoffs again. Resulting in a shit draft pick and even more years of mediocrity. Ah yes, and it goes round and round.

Treadmill of mediocrity, I've seen this happen too many times now... Maybe if we were in the west conference again we would get a decent draft pick to build on?

Samyy

Didn't a Boston beat writer bring this Leafs salute up in the first place?

Nope started with the Rogers crew after the game last night and then TSN picked up steam on it this morning because well they knew this was going to drive tons of clicks and viewers towards Sportsnet.

Man I miss Mike Molano.

That must have been around the time you were on the playgrounds with the other kids talking about how dumb hockey was.

Clydefrog

they even talked about the mysterious water-droppings in the Kings post-game last night

sean o'donnell said to kopitar "this must be like a lovely day in slovenia" and kopitar responded with "man, why would you say that?"

lol

calder

Wait, something else is happening in Leafs land? A new but related faux controversy?

moremoremoreleyxm.gif

So good. I'm off to tweet/comment/repeatedly refresh every #hottake article I can find from today about the Leafs on the internet over and over again to reinforce this media behaviour. Someone link to a Cox piece stat!

yyzjohn

Banned
Nope started with the Rogers crew after the game last night and then TSN picked up steam on it this morning because well they knew this was going to drive tons of clicks and viewers towards Sportsnet.

Media making a huge story of it but it's a stupid thing for the players to do in the first place. Coming off 2 horrendous losses on home ice and getting booed and then to collectively decide not to salute after you've done it for YEARS after each home win? This is a non story if they took 5 seconds to raise their sticks. I get changing the routine before the game, but after you win? Why do you have change that? Something a spoiled kid would do, and points to the lack of intelligence from the leaders of the team.

Something a spoiled kid would do, and points to the lack of intelligence from the leaders of the team.

I'd be impressed if Dion or Philip came out and said they weren't going to salute until the team has accomplished something of substance.

But then again, these guys seem baffled that fans are fed up with the team being shit, so I'm not expecting anything positive to come of this.

yyzjohn

Banned
Dreger's saying the fan snub is serious. Like, for realzies.

I don't care about the salute after a win, but the players are pretty stupid not to realize this would make headlines if they did it. Like honestly what's the big deal? Raise your sticks. They bring controversy onto themselves.

zroid

Banned
Someone on the radio was using yesterday as an example of why Tyler Bozak's contract is a "bargain" and that he should "ask for a raise"

I need to lie down

Tabris

Ugh, you were such an optimistic fan when you first started posting here and then NHL-Gaf bashed it's cynicism into you. Now you are a jaded grumpy old man.

This community is not a good place for new optimistic fans to start in anymore. All the positive Canuck posters have also stopped posting here. Bish doesn't even post here anymore. All the grumpy men scared them away.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
For real? Outside of the past week where he's started finally playing, Patches has been Subban level before that. Floating around the perimeter. He gets by because he has an elite shot, but prior to this week his wasn't impressing me at all.

No one is wearing the C because no one is worthy of it yet.
"Floating". Patches is one of our best possession forwards and leads the team in points, goals and shots on net. I love how when he's not scoring, he's "floating". He's on pace for 40 goals playing with an AHLer. His two way game is fantastic, and he's our best overall forward on the team.

Dregers also said the trade market for Phaneuf is 10 teams deep...
If Rene Bourque and Travis Moen can both be traded in the same month, I don't doubt him when he says that.

Tabris

I just looked it up - there's only 4 Canucks fans that have more than 50 posts in this thread - TUSR, Smiley, Socreges, and RC.

3 more posted more than 15 times in this thread - Tabris, Lone_Prodigy (I think he's a Nucks fan), and SpectreFire.

I'm the only positive Canuck fan left that actually posts here. You guys really did scare everyone else off.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Ugh, you were such an optimistic fan when you first started posting here and then NHL-Gaf bashed it's cynicism into you. Now you are a jaded grumpy old man.

This community is not a good place for new optimistic fans to start in anymore. All the positive Canuck posters have also stopped posting here. Bish doesn't even post here anymore. All the grumpy men scared them away.

I just keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment. Ask me again after the Hawks game.

#Bolieve gives me hope

Calamari41

41 > 38

Ducks-GAF is pretty universally optimistic and jolly.

Tabris

Ducks-GAF is pretty universally optimistic and jolly.

Yeah, sorry. Other fan bases seem to have a good mix, just talking about Canucks.

Maybe you guys didn't scare them away and it's a case of bandwagoners that have disappeared? I see a lot of positive people in person and on other forums/boards though.

Smiley90

Yeah, sorry. Other fan bases seem to have a good mix, just talking about Canucks.

Maybe you guys didn't scare them away and it's a case of bandwagoners that have disappeared? I see a lot of positive people in person and on other forums/boards though.

There's other Canucks fans you're ignoring, some new, some old. Pretty sure trilife (?) is new.

Our leading goal scorer was injured off a shot to the face last night and taken to the hospital.
We lost 3-2 to an average Eastern team.
We were completely mediocre in said game against said team.
Instead of utilizing callups (outside of goalies) Roy is content with rotating garbage players in and out of the lineup when we have injuries or just whenever the fuck he feels like it.
Barrie is having a career year despite all of this.

I'm optimistic O'Reilly is going to walk in 2 years because we're certainly not going to trade him before that happens.

Optimism.

Smiley90

I don't know them if I did miss any. So trilife? Anyone else?

RailGUN has been around and posts, off the top of my head. Abstroose Moose I think started posting last season.

Now stop it with the hero complex. :p

kingslunk

Lone stars fan here sup

What do you mean by "positive"? There's a difference between being optimistic and being realistic. I'm a Canucks fan: I hope they win every game, major award, and the Cup every season. But I also know there's little chance of that, and I'm not going to pretend. I know the core is aging, the scoring and defensive depth isn't there, and that their record is padded with 4 wins against Edmonton (which were all close games).

Top Bottom