• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL November 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary demands your respect, not your love

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Gaustad placed on IR, apparently Juuse Saros is getting called up. Huh.

Did something happen to Rinne or Hutton?

[EDIT] Just looked up that cross-check, holy shit. Dude definitely needs to sit out a few games.

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah that Dubinsky hit on Crosby is going a little too far. I know he is one of those players who always gives Sid a hard time but no need for that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't believe this. That's too perfect.

Yeah he posted in the other thread, he's an Infiniti salesman with 90k base + 50-100k commission. According to him at least. I mean I wouldn't call that lower middle class... But definitely not as rich as he comes off as -shrugs-

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
AV fires back:
The funny thing is AV actually said "Henrik Sedin," instead of Lundqvist. :)
Not a joke, that's actually true.

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Hayes-Etem
Miller-Lindberg-Fast
Moore-Stoll-Stalberg

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath

Raanta

I'll be missing this one live. Headed to the airport right now. Will watch on the DVR once I'm back in civilization.

Calamari41

41 > 38
No way in hell is 90k a lower middle class base. If it is, I'd probably be living in a ditch somewhere.

That's like 78k in US dollars. Definitely lower middle class in a place with a cost of living like Vancouver. Like I said before, we have to pay entry level 23 year old engineers more than that to allow them to survive in LA (West side at least)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's amazing, meanwhile he's spent all this time acting like some big shot. Good to see he's finally been exposed.

Foggy

That's like 78k in US dollars. Definitely lower middle class in a place with a cost of living like Vancouver. Like I said before, we have to pay entry level 23 year old engineers more than that to allow them to survive in LA (West side at least)

Foggy confirmed to stay in ditch(Ohio) and hold this L forever.

Quick

Banned
The alternative is Tabris actually living high, but racking up a shit ton of debt in exchange.

I don't wish crushing debt on anybody.

trifelife

Yeah he posted in the other thread, he's an Infiniti salesman with 90k base + 50-100k commission. According to him at least. I mean I wouldn't call that lower middle class... But definitely not as rich as he comes off as -shrugs-

What.

Average Canadian income is $49,000ish? 140-190K is a ton, you'd be near the top 20% in the country.

Sir Bat can I have some money plz.

Foggy confirmed to stay in ditch(Ohio) and hold this L forever.

Haha, well if things are generally cheaper in your area then it doesn't necessarily mean much. Tabris might be pulling in 90k a year guaranteed, but that's only like 70k in actual cash, and I have to think rent on his place costs a shit load of that. I'm sure he does well for himself, but if you're in Ohio you could probably get his lifestyle on 60k a year. It's all relative.

What.

Average Canadian income is $49,000ish? 140-190K is a ton, you'd be near the top 20% in the country.

Average salary in Vancouver is 60k. He's not a crazy amount over that at his base rate.

Foggy

Haha, well if things are generally cheaper in your area then it doesn't necessarily mean much. Tabris might be pulling in 90k a year guaranteed, but that's only like 70k in actual cash, and I have to think rent on his place costs a shit load of that. I'm sure he does well for himself, but if you're in Ohio you could probably get his lifestyle on 60k a year. It's all relative.

brb, heading to the soup kitchen

Smiley90

For reference, measured by how many years of incone it takes to own a home:

The average house price in Metro Vancouver is $670,300, with a median income of $65,000, making it the second most expensive city in the world to own a home.

The most unaffordable major city in the world is Hong Kong, with an average house price of $4,024,000 and median household income of $270,000.

San Francisco-Oakland is the third most unaffordable city in the world, with an average house price of $705,000 and a median income of $76,300.

So I still wouldnt call it lower middle class, but given Vancouver (and ESPECIALLY downtown, which isnt even what these numbers are for), it's nothing to brag about

What.

Median > Average and see above - it's actually quite a bit higher.

Calamari41

41 > 38
For reference, measured by how many years of incone it takes to own a home:

The average house price in Metro Vancouver is $670,300, with a median income of $65,000, making it the second most expensive city in the world to own a home.

The most unaffordable major city in the world is Hong Kong, with an average house price of $4,024,000 and median household income of $270,000.

San Francisco-Oakland is the third most unaffordable city in the world, with an average house price of $705,000 and a median income of $76,300.

So I still wouldnt call it lower middle class, but given Vancouver (and ESPECIALLY downtown, which isnt even what these numbers are for), it's nothing to brag about

Median > Average and see above - it's actually quite a bit higher.

You're right, it's going too far to call it lower middle class. If he had a kid to support, though, and actually had to pay for his condo? He'd have to give up his upper middle class lifestyle for sure.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Wait, free condo?

Someone had said at some point that his dad bought the condo. That could have been a joke, though. Either way, a mortgage on a place like that with the salary he commands (they don't take bonus into account when calculating rates and payments) would cut a massive chunk out of his cash flow.

Smiley90

Finally found some neighbourhood info for average family income:

Vancouver-Kerrisdale: 1.28 mio/y
West Bay&Sandy Cove: 960k/y
Kerrisdale Park: 830k/y

AVERAGE family income in those neighbourhoods.

WTF are you guys talking about, $140-$190K a year is a shit ton in Canada unless you live in Fort McMurray.

Not in Downtown Vancouver.

Tabris

lol you guys are so odd.

I love how somehow car salesmen is what everyone now thinks I do, I don't even know how that story came about.

I'm in Sales at a software company.

I've said many times I wasn't rich, I was middle class. I just don't have responsibilities and don't pay for a car so I have a lot more disposable income then boring parents.

Also Calamari, I explained to you this before, that's not how it works:

Commission is in US dollars, base salary is in Canadian dollars. But doesn't work like that.

It's more like base salary at 1.00 and commission at 1.31 because my costs are in Canadian, not American. If my costs were in American, then your statement would make sense.

Or if you were to base my salary on .76, you would have to base my costs on .76 as well.
Because I work for a US-based company (with offices internationally) on both Canadian, US, and some International deals. So they pay my salary in Canadian as well as the rest of their workers in Canada, but they pay commission on the deals based on US currency because that's what those deals are closed in / billed at.

No it doesn't work like that either. Cost of living isn't associated with currency rate directly, except for things like import products. Like for example, buying a video game in Canada has been adjusted to the currency rate as those video games are based on US dollars because they are imported in by the stores, but my mortgage costs, groceries, restaurants, etc aren't adjusted based on currency rate.

Vancouver was expensive when Canadian dollar was more then US dollar and it's just as expensive when it's less then US dollar. You pay a bit more for things like video games, electronics, etc but generally cost of living isn't directly influenced by currency fluctuations.

Someone had said at some point that his dad bought the condo. That could have been a joke, though. Either way, a mortgage on a place like that with the salary he commands (they don't take bonus into account when calculating rates and payments) would cut a massive chunk out of his cash flow.

I'm starting to get the sinking suspicion that I know who owns the Infinity dealership.software company

Smiley90

lol you guys are so odd.

I love how somehow car salesmen is what everyone now thinks I do, I don't even know how that story came about.

I'm in Sales at a software company.

I've said many times I wasn't rich, I was middle class. I just don't have responsibilities and don't pay for a car so I have a lot more disposable income then boring parents.

Also Calamari, I explained to you this before, that's not how it works:

:lol

Smiley90

You just quoted the median income in Vancouver at around $65K. Tabris is making over twice that even with a bad year.

I know people renting condos right above Maple Leaf Square in Toronto who are making $50K a year with no debt...

No that's the median income in Vancouver - all of the city. Some neighborhoods get MUCH more expensive, see my other post above. With average income >500k and average housing cost >3 mio

then you have Vancouver neighbourhoods like the Downtown Eastside with an average income of like 8k a year, amongst the bottom-5 in canada...

Tabris

Tabs, we were only discussing the base pay, not the commission.

Even if both base and commission were in Canadian dollars, the statement still applies. You don't convert income based on currency to evaluate what that income category that is unless that income is being used on costs internationally. Because the costs are local at the same currency rate, it's a 1:1 relationship. If you were to apply a currency manipulator to the income, you would have to apply it to the costs.

Smiley90

You must be living your narcissistic dream in this and the other thread, aren't you

Foggy

Mandatory Fuck the Rangers post.

tumblr_mltosvxwHI1s8l4eao1_500.gif

Calamari41

41 > 38
Even if both base and commission were in Canadian dollars, the statement still applies. You don't convert income based on currency to evaluate what that income category that is unless that income is being used on costs internationally. Because the costs are local at the same currency rate, it's a 1:1 relationship. If you were to apply a currency manipulator to the income, you would have to apply it to the costs.

So let's convert it based on the cost of living in your neighborhood then?

I know a US dollar is worth something like 80 cents in my area. It would be interesting to see what a Canadian dollar is worth in Gaston

Tabris

So let's convert it based on the cost of living in your neighborhood then?

No you don't convert it, you compare income to costs to determine affordability.

So take the US dollars out of the equation as that only matters if I were to live in the US and work in Canada, or in my case, it counts my commission as 1.30. When we were at currency parity, actually for a bit I lost money on commission due to the US dollar being worth less, my base income was the same and my costs outside of import purchases was the same. Currency fluctuations have 0 impact on my base salary and at most companies would have 0 impact on my commissions.

Vancouver is expensive but I don't have an expensive house. My place is a 650 sqft condo worth $600k (~$500k on purchase). Average median house prices will look at detached homes which are very expensive in Vancouver, averaging over a million dollars. Condos are decently priced.

Smiley90

No you don't convert it, you compare income to costs to determine affordability.

So take the US dollars out of the equation as that only matters if I were to live in the US and work in Canada, or in my case, it counts my commission as 1.30. When we were at currency parity, actually for a bit I lost money on commission due to the US dollar being worth less, my base income was the same and my costs outside of import purchases was the same.

Vancouver is expensive but I don't have an expensive house. My place is a 650 sqft condo worth $600k (~$500k on purchase). Average median house prices will look at detached homes which are very expensive in Vancouver, averaging over a million dollars. Condos are decently priced.

well, if you compare "what do you need to earn to live x lifestyle", you CAN convert it

Median Housing Price in Vancouver is 650k, Median Income is 65k

so to live the same kind of lifestyle in a city with cheaper costs (say.... Ohio), where median housing price is a measly 177k, you'd really only need to earn 18k to live the same kind of lifestyle (ignoring differences between Ohio and Vancouver)

so let's say 195k (3x median) income in Vancouver is really only worth around 54k in Ohio to live the same.

FOGGY, WE GOT YOU COVERED, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE SOUP KITCHEN

Tabris

That's a comparison, not a conversion based on currency though. He's trying to say our Canadian incomes are actually worth .76. Doesn't make sense when the money isn't flowing back to US dollars.

Smiley90

That's a comparison, not a conversion based on currency though. He's trying to say our Canadian incomes are actually worth .76. Doesn't make sense when the money isn't flowing back to US dollars.

I think he's trying to say that to compare your income to the income of Americans, you need to convert it. Which is true. Because 150k in CAD income isn't the same as 150k in USD income, regardless of the fact that expenses are in CAD/USD. Because expenses in the US are also in USD, so either all americans convert all their expenses to CAD to get an idea, or they convert the income to USD, which is much easier to compare.

Top Bottom