• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
All the current talk about leafs and advanced stats makes me want to devise another advanced stat metric which we can further tie into shooting percentage

If leafs are getting really high quality shots, and not many low quality shots, there has to be a way to show they are scoring those high quality shots at a normal clip.

Breaking down the offensive/defensive zone into sections and assigning base quality. Then there's shot type - like slapshot, wrist shot (quick release (positive quality), slow release (negative quality))... Goalie in position at time of shot release (negative quality)... Goalie out of position/scrambling (positive quality) and other factors such as front of net player density, tip.

We need an advanced stat to cover this, and then you can measure what the quality opportunities are every game and how often they are occurring, even in a losing scenario and weigh it across the league. Then you can measure if its "luck" (ie clean slow release shot from point, goalie in position, low density in front of net) vs good "skill" play.

I was reading an article about half an hour ago by downgoesbrown, I think. And when he started talking about leafs shot quality being poor, he referred to shot distance... Which isn't exactly a useful metric.... It explains fuck all about everything about the shot and the circumstances in which the shot was taken.

Using that base number and "adding" the different quality modifiers, we can ascertain a singular pure offensive number and then divide by shot quantity for average shot quality and then line it up with corsi/fenwick. Shot quality against offensive time and shot quality allowed on defensive time.

Stasis

Well, at least we're good at one thing. Giving opposing teams fans some really good home games. If you're a Blues fan you should prolly get tickets to the next game.

Also, we're the only team to score 2 goals against the Sharks!

HILLER SHUTOUT PENISES ALL OVER MY FACE

Well, at least we're good at one thing. Giving opposing teams fans some really good home games. If you're a Blues fan you should prolly get tickets to the next game.

Also, we're the only team to score 2 goals against the Sharks!

Yeah, we had a really shitty home opener last year against the Canucks. So thanks.

Ooooh, look who's got a mouth on them now that they've started the season undefeated!

(It totally isn't. A game where old man Penner and Winnik score unnessacary goals is nothing.)

But still... They haven't given up a goal yet, and that's... something.

We're not as bad as the Rangers, yay!

Nah man, ain't got nothing to do with the Avs' current success. For the last 2-3 seasons I've been in a position where playing bad teams and having a strong game against them gets your hopes up and then everything comes crashing down again. Don't do it to yourself, it fucking sucks. I'm still waiting for that to be the case this season to be honest. I'm in disbelief that we're legit, long season to prove it.

Nah man, ain't got nothing to do with the Avs' current success. For the last 2-3 seasons I've been in a position where playing bad teams and having a strong game against them gets your hopes up and then everything comes crashing down again. Don't do it to yourself, it fucking sucks. I'm still waiting for that to be the case this season to be honest. I'm in disbelief that we're legit, long season to prove it.

First sentence was totally in jest. Just making reference to your good start so you have a nice reminder.

Don't worry, I have low expectations for this season. When games like this happen when there's something nifty/dominating then it makes you happy to be in the moment, then that's it.

Stasis

I need to go ly dow.

Gonna read the HFB hysteria in bed, that should be some fun reading. A bunch of neanderthals crying about team toughness. They can barely fucking spell toughness.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I need to go ly dow.

Gonna read the HFB hysteria in bed, that should be some fun reading. A bunch of neanderthals crying about team toughness. They can barely fucking spell toughness.

To be fair, team toughness is a serious issue and has been since Prust bolted.

Not that that has much of anything to do with being outscored FIFTEEN to fucking two in 6 periods.

I really don't know if there's anything that can actually be actively done. Though I do think Fast may be getting shipped off to Hartford in exchange for Miller.

Lol, dumb ass boston fans. Jesus.

BWQ-6srCQAAPPiu.jpg:large

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Leafs are winning because Bernier is playing out of his mind, most teams would have a good winning streak going with a goalie playing at .970+

Heh, forgot to check one of my fantasy teams before 7:00 and was like ah crap, I have Hiller and Niemi starting instead of The Best Cop on the Force Bob........

Hiller gets a shutout, woohoo

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Leafs are winning because Bernier is playing out of his mind, most teams would have a good winning streak going with a goalie playing at .970+

yeah, advanced stats say Leafs are bound to lose soon.

right?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It's like this season is the bizarro version of last season. Now the only player who CAN play well is Brad Richards. What?

Red_Man

Does the free preview of center ice extend to the xbox app as well? It's still letting me watch full replays for some reason.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Does the free preview of center ice extend to the xbox app as well? It's still letting me watch full replays for some reason.

I think the app lets you watch highlights all the time even without a sub.

edit: sorry misread your post. Must be the preview.

Quick

Banned
Man, now the media's piling on Thornton's comment.

It was funny, just let it be. The Canucks analysts on Sportsnet Vancouver were having a serious discussion about it. Now That's Hockey on TSN is doing the same thing. lol

Edit: That was seriously over five minutes of discussion about that single comment. You're all doing it wrong, hockey media.

rofl

Tyler Bozak just retweeted a bunch of tweets by @OnlyLatinGirls.....all have links to nakedness haha

The name of the account is "Support Single Moms"

Haxxxed?

edit

Tyler Bozak ‏@Bozie42 57s

Well that's a tough hack to get on my twitter haha. Sorry to everyone I'll try and figure out what's going on here.... #hackers #singlemoms

Man, now the media's piling on Thornton's comment.

It was funny, just let it be. The Canucks analysts on Sportsnet Vancouver were having a serious discussion about it. Now That's Hockey on TSN is doing the same thing. lol

Edit: That was seriously over five minutes of discussion about that single comment. You're all doing it wrong, hockey media.

Hockey tabloids.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
rofl

Tyler Bozak just retweeted a bunch of tweets by @OnlyLatinGirls.....all have links to nakedness haha

The name of the account is "Support Single Moms"

Haxxxed?

edit

Tyler Bozak ‏@Bozie42 57s

Well that's a tough hack to get on my twitter haha. Sorry to everyone I'll try and figure out what's going on here.... #hackers #singlemoms

Was his password "PhilCanHaveMyDonutsAnytime"?

I can't decide whats better, bitching about the refs or the media. Probably media since that means all is well on the ice, but this still sucks. What a bunch of FOOLS

Tyler Bozak ‏@Bozie42 55s

Hey Tyler im not a hacker!! im a single mom with your mail password.

Tyler Bozak ‏@Bozie42 1m

I changed my password and everything. This hacker is good...

lololol

Has anyone wondered why the Islanders mascot in the debit card commercial is a dragon?

I looked it up and it was a shared mascot with an arena football team that played in the same arena

But I also found this former Columbus mascot which is just damn awesome

If he had a maniacal laugh and sabotaged other teams it would just be perfect

Colonel Cannon Cock has been around since the BJs Third Jersey was born. Which wasn't that long ago.

Whatever happened to that and the Panthers thirds anyway...

Quick

Banned
Has anyone wondered why the Islanders mascot in the debit card commercial is a dragon?

I looked it up and it was a shared mascot with an arena football team that played in the same arena

But I also found this former Columbus mascot which is just damn awesome

If he had a maniacal laugh and sabotaged other teams it would just be perfect

That Columbus mascot launched with their third jersey, but was never seen again after a few months, I think.

Red_Man

Anyone listen to Pusha T's new ablum? Pretty good stuff.

I was wondering this when Quick brought up the gifs earlier

Edit: Holy fuck, HL2 Episode 2 is 6 years old, time flies.

Top Bottom