• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2013 |OT| Racism, Pokémon, and the Pursuit of Saltiness

Curufinwe

Just saw that Briere got another concussion. That's really sad. Being short like he is his head is often at just the right height for getting smashed.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wings making some changes for tonight

Henrik Zetterberg-Pavel Datsyuk-Justin Abdelkader
Todd Bertuzzi-Johan Franzen-Daniel Alfredsson
Tomas Tatar-Stephen Weiss-Daniel Cleary
Drew Miller-Joakim Andersson-Jordin Tootoo

Kyle Quincey-Danny DeKeyser
Brian Lashoff-Jakub Kindl
Brendan Smith-Xavier Ouellet

Ericsson's wife went into labor so they recalled Ouellet. Send Glendening down to the Griffens and put Tatar in for Sammy. Also moved Franzen to center the 2nd line and Weiss down to the 3rd.

So big E is out tonight which means Xavier is in. So we will be missing our 1 and 2 D-man against the Sharks..... Welp this is going to be bad.

However, Tatar is playing so yay!!!

Edit: Beaten :(
Edit 2: These lines are... interesting to say the least, I'm somewhat excited to see lines 2 and 3 (3 minus Cleary of course)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Cam Talbot's NYR goalie mask

57fchpG.jpg

I'm not referring to you specifically but the whining over Zibanejad by the fanbase is really getting on my nerves.

It's not like he'll fix what's wrong with the team right now. Nothing wrong with him getting a bit of the Gustav Nyquist treatment right now.

:*(

Don't remind us, we are finally getting to see Tatar play again tonight, but that will probably last for a game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At least we're only playing Edmonton tomorrow. California is going to rip us a new asshole at the end of the week though, have to imagine that Bergevin is looking to bringing another player in.

How well is AV doing? Is he part of the problem? Obviously missing your best goal scorer and captain hurts, but the Rangers are a pretty good team on paper. Is Lundqvist struggling with the smaller equipment?

It's a bit surprising because even when the Canucks under AV couldn't score, they were still solid defensively.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Reminds me of the best South Park Episode ever with the Little League Games

"You're gonna win"
"No way, you guys are gonna win"

May the worst team lose!

The Sabres are a fierce competitor in this too, let's not forget about them.

My leasing office just tried to hold my 3DS and a few other deliveries hostage because of an outstanding $20 bill that we've only been aware of since Saturday. I used to love this place and the management here, this new management crew is fucking ridiculous. Glad I'm moving soon.

My leasing office just tried to hold my 3DS and a few other deliveries hostage because of an outstanding $20 bill that we've only been aware of since Saturday. I used to love this place and the management here, this new management crew is fucking ridiculous. Glad I'm moving soon.

Burn it to the ground?

Fei

Rangers and Flyers actually have some talent. We're planning on unloading what little we have left. Both are in trouble if they think they can outlose us.

38953439_640.jpg

Sanjuro

How does Ryan Miller even get up in the morning?

Ryan Miller: I need to get out of bed.

- Did you have a good game yesterday? Great! You're Ryan Fucking Miller!
- Did you have a bad game yesterday? Don't move! Your groin or head is probably injured. Is someone nearby? Throw them under the bus.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How well is AV doing? Is he part of the problem? Obviously missing your best goal scorer and captain hurts, but the Rangers are a pretty good team on paper. Is Lundqvist struggling with the smaller equipment?

It's a bit surprising because even when the Canucks under AV couldn't score, they were still solid defensively.
It's...hard to say, really. I see a conflagration of issues, most of which AV has little or nothing to do with.

1) Nash is looking increasingly like a huge bust, and one that cost us what had been the heart and soul of a winning team. This isn't actually because of his level of play, because when he is out there he's usually a beast. The problem is that he has been concussed twice in a span of 8 months and hasn't been heard from since the game in San Jose 2 weeks ago. He still hasn't even returned to the ice, and if this keeps up, the Rangers may be forced to use their last buyout on Nash instead of Richards.

2) Hank's style is to play big deep in his crease. With the smaller equipment he's found he's had to change his game. He's talked about having to be faster and more aggressive and coming out to the puck more to cut down on angles. He has shown a couple of times that he can do this, and his performance against the Capitals last week was mostly excellent, but it's still not second nature to him yet. Combine that with his on-going contract negotiations and you have a guy who isn't exactly just going out there and playing the way he normally does. He'll come around. I was a little worried at the start of the season, but at this point I do think he's going to find his groove. He was terrible at the start of last season too with a GAA of 5+ in the second week of the season, and he ended up the runner up for the Vezina, so it's not like he can't turn things around.

3) The D hasn't helped in front of him either. They've shown signs of getting better, but they're not there yet. When they've succeeded this year (against LA and Washington), they played much more like the way they did under Torts.

4) Sather has made some boggling decisions to turn this team into, literally, the Columbus Blue Jackets. None more boggling than when Derick Brassard seemed to have suddenly realized his true potential by having a change of scenery and getting a fresh start in NYC. What does Sather do? Hire the coach from Columbus that Brassard and Nash and Dorsett and Moore were all losers under. One that Brassard in particular had some serious beef with, even though they've since said it's water under the bridge.

5) The team has no toughness at all. Nash gets elbowed in the head and the entire bench sees it and even points at it as it happens. No response. Stepan gets leveled in center ice. No response. Callahan gets injured. No response. Marty Biron gets bowled over by an opponent. No response. I'm not saying you need to be getting into fights everywhere, but this is a super soft team to play against, and you can basically have your way with them without fear of retribution.

6) AV still doesn't seem to have a full handle on his players. His lineup choices still seem like a guy experimenting with pieces where he doesn't quite understand how they go together. After getting destroyed by San Jose, he commented that he didn't really know the leaders on our team that well. This coming after spending nearly a full month on the road with the team between preseason games, the mini-camp in Banff, and the start of the season.

7) Speaking of, the camp in Banff has turned out to be a horrendous idea. If AV had been here and been working with the players for a year or two already and the system and team identity was solidly in place, it probably would have been alright. But what this team really needed was time in its own environment in New York to learn the system, get valuable practice time in, and solidify what the identity of the team was going to be. This might have also helped AV finalize his lineup sooner and given them a chance to have more preseason playing time together. That trip was Sather's wife's idea, btw.

8) Here are some Rangers who have fewer goals on the season than Mike Smith:
Rick Nash
Derek Stepan
Derick Brassard
Benoit Pouliot
Mats Zuccarello
Brian Boyle
Taylor Pyatt
Jesper Fast
Dominic Moore
Dan Girardi
Michael Del Zotto
Anton Stralman
Justin Falk
JT Miller
Arron Asham
Darroll Powe

So the coach took the fall for GM incompetence? Sounds just like Vancouver!

Regarding the Sabres, I remember a couple years ago they were regarded as contenders after signing Ehrhoff and Leino and trading for Regehr.

Stasis

Weird I know, but the other team I enjoy watching and tend to cheer for is the Buffalo Sabres. It's a pretty awesome combination for me right now.

I vote for a melding of the two. Could ice a decent team that way AND have a fun pool of prospects for coming years/trades. As things stand I think this is gonna be a pretty long fucking season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
:*(

Don't remind us, we are finally getting to see Tatar play again tonight, but that will probably last for a game.

My prediction if he scores twice:

"You know, he scored twice, but did he really play well? I don't know. You'll have to ask him on his way back to the press box for the next few games." -- Mike Babcock

Top Bottom