• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary was re-signed

ZeroGravity

Anybody see the article Buccigross put out? http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13878033/nhl-hockey-new-year-arrived-game-strong

Stamkos to the Wings? I can only hope, but it would never happen. Making the room for him while resigning DeKyser, Abdelkader, and Helm would be damn near impossible.
Stamkos isn't signing with another team from a "pure hockey standpoint." There is no team out there with a better situation than what he has right now. If he goes to free agency, it's because he wants to get paid, in which case any team that signs him can have fun crippling their cap.

Quick

Banned
Anybody see the article Buccigross put out? http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13878033/nhl-hockey-new-year-arrived-game-strong

Stamkos to the Wings? I can only hope, but it would never happen. Making the room for him while resigning DeKyser, Abdelkader, and Helm would be damn near impossible.

Stamkos going to the Red Wings without the Wings losing significant pieces will have to be an act of God. He's selling the Wings well though - it would be a good situation for Stamkos.

I'm expecting him to re-sign with the Lightning, in all honesty. I don't expect him to end up in Toronto, until maybe in his mid-30s or something.

zroid

Banned
I hope the NHL introduces qualifying offers into the next CBA, it would put less pressure on teams to keep their free agents, and less pressure on players to stay in one place.

As of now even if Stamkos wants to test the market, he's probably feeling a ton of pressure to stay just because that's the way it's done in this league. Which is dumb.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Virtanen in for McCann.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen
Burrows-Sutter-Hansen
Prust-Cracknell-Dorsett

Same D pairings.

WOOOOOO

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen, damn what a line. Hope they do well. Finally will get an NHL-look at Virtanen.

Pikma

Banned
I hope the NHL introduces qualifying offers into the next CBA, it would put less pressure on teams to keep their free agents, and less pressure on players to stay in one place.

As of now even if Stamkos wants to test the market, he's probably feeling a ton of pressure to stay just because that's the way it's done in this league. Which is dumb.
It's only dumb because you want Stamkos 👅

Curufinwe

I don't think the NHL needs to change the CBA because of Stamkos. There's nothing wrong with him waiting to decide on where his future lies.

zroid

Banned
It's only dumb because you want Stamkos

Not really. I've said many times I don't care what happens to Stamkos, I just think his case is an interesting one because it has a chance to set a precedent where star players actually go to free agency. He could be a Hab if he wants.

We might actually win a game that's not against Dallas now.

Ideally I'd like to see Gormley in the lineup opposed to Stuart, he was pretty solid in preseason, I think we have the advantage over Phoenix in that trade. Elliott is similar to Barrie anyway. Holden wasn't horrible in game 2, he had some nice hits. Maybe he'll play more like he did in 2013-14.

Quick

Banned
Not really. I've said many times I don't care what happens to Stamkos, I just think his case is an interesting one because it has a chance to set a precedent where star players actually go to free agency. He could be a Hab if he wants.

What should be interesting to see is how a team will adjust to taking the amount he'd be slated to get. Stamkos will command a lot of money, and like ZeroGravity said, it's going to be crippling to the team's cap.

I think that should open up the discussion on fair wage and why teams would have to be crippling their cap to begin with.

zroid

Banned
What should be interesting to see is how a team will adjust to taking the amount he'd be slated to get. Stamkos will command a lot of money, and like ZeroGravity said, it's going to be crippling to the team's cap.

I think that should open up the discussion on fair wage and why teams would have to be crippling their cap to begin with.

Exactly, there would be a lot of implications. Sure it wouldn't be easy for teams but you know a lot of GMs would try their best to make it work when a player that good is available without giving up assets. On the other hand maybe a team like Ottawa with a limited budget would loosen up if they can sign a highly marketable player like him. The whole process would make the offseason a lot more interesting.

I was kidding!

I thought so but I decided to clarify anyways :p

Eh, I know that Stamkos will more than likely stay in TB, but I can dream about him in a beautiful Winged Wheel sweater, can't I?

Oh well, it's not like we need him. We're primed for another cup run in the next few years here.

So many teams to root against tonight!

tumblr_ltld7jPkls1qhojr7o1_500.gif

Meanwhile everyone is bitching about scoring being so low and the league does nothing to stop all the clutch and grab and international interference bullshit going on.
Tougher referees is only a temporary solution to low scoring games. As long as it isnt the clutch and grab and interference plays that keeps the scoring down (and it isnt) it will only be temporary. The players will adjust and the number of penalties will go down and when that happens the scoring will fall just as fast.

But why are low scoring games even a problem? A tight low scoring game can be just as exciting.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers Report ‏@rangersreport 53s 54 seconds ago

AV on why it took so long to try Klein on power play: "I'm not the smartest guy in the world."
Gotta love AV. Kevin Klein finally slots into Dan Boyle's spot on the power play tonight.

Quick

Banned
Tougher referees is only a temporary solution to low scoring games. As long as it isnt the clutch and grab and interference plays that keeps the scoring down (and it isnt) it will only be temporary. The players will adjust and the number of penalties will go down and when that happens the scoring will fall just as fast.

But why are low scoring games even a problem? A tight low scoring game can be just as exciting.

Casual viewers may not bite at low-scoring games.

The argument on the ESPN link posted is that you'd want people to constantly cheer on goals, rather than be glued to your chair the whole night other than maybe standing up once or twice. It was a dumb way to rationalize it, but I get the gist of it.

Meanwhile everyone is bitching about scoring being so low and the league does nothing to stop all the clutch and grab and international interference bullshit going on.

I feel like they've been cutting down on clutch and grab, though. I feel like I've seen a holding penalty in every game I've watched this year. I thought people were blaming he modern dead puck era on shot blocking?

Quick

Banned
I feel like they've been cutting down on clutch and grab, though. I feel like I've seen a holding penalty in every game I've watched this year. I thought people were blaming he modern dead puck era on shot blocking?

Shot blocking has become semi-essential on a defenceman's resume in recent years, and it definitely contributes in some form to preventing higher scoring. But it would be ridiculous to put restrictions on it.

Shot blocking has become semi-essential on a defenceman's resume in recent years, and it definitely contributes in some form to preventing higher scoring. But it would be ridiculous to put restrictions on it.

Oh for sure, this isn't the NBA. Shot blocking isn't just defensemen either, pretty much everyone on the ice is expected to block shots now.

I have successfully given up soda. Now my big bugaboo is beer. Trying to just cut it down to like twice a week

I don't want to live in a world where I don't have a beer a night.

zroid

Banned

I kind of hate shot blocking, both because of the effect it has on scoring and how dangerous it can be. It's unfortunate but you are correct. Just nothing you can do.

imBask

Banned
I kind of hate shot blocking, both because of the effect it has on scoring and how dangerous it can be. It's unfortunate but you are correct. Just nothing you can do.

add a penalty for "intentional shot blocking" and watch Tim Peel and Chris Lee go bananas

add a penalty for "intentional shot blocking" and watch Tim Peel and Chris Lee go bananas

That's a fine line. Is getting in the shooting lane and staying there an intentional block? Is it like interference where you can hold your ground? What if you're just trying to get into the shooting lane and the guy shoots at the same time (probably trying to get you penalized)?

imBask

Banned
That's a fine line. Is getting in the shooting lane and staying there an intentional block? Is it like interference where you can hold your ground? What if you're just trying to get into the shooting lane and the guy shoots at the same time (probably trying to get you penalized)?

that's where the legendary judgment of Peel and Lee comes in!

Top Bottom