• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

calder

Anyone paying for The Athletic? There NHL coverage seems to be well stacked

It's great. The Dellow and Pronman articles alone are worth it IMO, they go *deep*, and there's a ton of team specific and league writers too doing good work.

Today Dellow did an article on Byfuglien called "Risk, Reward and The Dustin Byfuglien Question" that was an incredibly well thought out and researched piece on Buff's effect on his goalies even strength save percentage (spoiler: it's not good). He didn't just come up with a thesis but demonstrated his thought processes as he tries to think about stats in such a way as to prove or disprove his theory and then, if it holds up, try to determine why.

mdubs

Banned
are you for real right now

is this a joke

stairs.gif

It's great. The Dellow and Pronman articles alone are worth it IMO, they go *deep*, and there's a ton of team specific and league writers too doing good work.

Today Dellow did an article on Byfuglien called "Risk, Reward and The Dustin Byfuglien Question" that was an incredibly well thought out and researched piece on Buff's effect on his goalies even strength save percentage (spoiler: it's not good). He didn't just come up with a thesis but demonstrated his thought processes as he tries to think about stats in such a way as to prove or disprove his theory and then, if it holds up, try to determine why.

Yeah this kind of stuff is why I loved reading Jesse Marshall for Pittsburgh. He'd consistently put on analysis on how the Pens broke down or got better throughout the playoffs. He's at The Athletic now so I should just pony up.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Like seeing Lehkonen on that top line, as for AGally, if he's going to be on the lower lines, at least try him at center again. He's played his best hockey there, and can't be worse than Danault or Mitchell have been.

Text from friend

"We wouldn't have traded Subban or gone after Shaw if we'd hired Pierre"

!!!
Lol Pierre wanted to trade Subban for the 1st overall in 2012 to get Yakupov to play with AGally, so yea

Red_Man

Also I don't think Julien hates Galchenyuk, he just hasn't warranted top 6 time, straight up.

Team shooting at 2.7% half that of the 29th lowest shooting team is absolutely insane.

Red_Man

The Subban trade was ownership as much as Bargain Bin right?
Lmao no, why would anything think that? That's so stupid, he donated $10 M to the local hospital and was the teams most marketable / highest revenue player. That trade was all Bergevin, Molson was the one who forced him to sign him to that big extension in the first place.

Merguson

Banned
Anyone paying for The Athletic? There NHL coverage seems to be well stacked

*raises hand*

I pay for it and enjoy the hockey articles. Even if you just go for the hockey writing, it is easily worth it and they have a lot of great hockey writers.

What's it going to take to fire Bergevin?

Missing the playoffs, basically.

Unless the reason is a freak injury to one of their best players.

Lmao no, why would anything think that? That's so stupid, he donated $10 M to the local hospital and was the teams most marketable / highest revenue player. That trade was all Bergevin, Molson was the one who forced him to sign him to that big extension in the first place.
Then why didn’t they fire him immediately?!

imBask

Banned
btw the montreal medias are not reacting how you would think so far

A couple of them have been on a crusade against Molson this year, they think the Canadiens are back to the pre-2004 state of arrogance toward the fans. Because on top of showing up with a garbage team and the "we're a better team" mumbo jumbo they did a couple of things :

-The cheap tickets cost 28% more
-The beer is the among the most expensive in the league, same with the parking
-They charged one of the journalist $310 extra for physical season tickets instead of digital
-The "premium games" against the original 6 + a couple of teams is a cheap reason to charge more
-The players introduction yesterday was really bad, and felt very cheap
-We still have 8.5M to spend

I can't think of the other things I heard right now but basically, a couple of journalists are firing shots left and right

Red_Man

Gord Miller just said on the radio that AGally was the center piece in a deal for Duchene in the summer, but Montreal wouldn't do it. That actually surprises me.

PillarEN

I was looking at the Vegas playing roster after wondering "but wait? How come I haven't heard anything about that supposed number 1 Russian center? What's his name again? Trouble adjusting to the NHL perhaps?"

Name: Vadim Shipachyov

And I read stuff like this:

"To solve that problem, the Rangers would be wise to look to the NHL's newest franchise. After landing KHL superstar Vadim Shipachyov over the summer, the Vegas Golden Knights have buried the KHL's third leading scorer from last season in the AHL. While it was initially seen as a paper transaction to buy Vegas time to move some of the bad defenseman they took in the expansion draft, that's turned out not to be the case.

The Golden Knights are 3-0 to begin the season (the first expansion franchise to ever start 3-0) and with nothing suggesting that a recall to Vegas is imminent, Shipachyov reportedly wants out. "

------

Uhhhh, what? What exactly is going on here? Too many defensemen therefore they can't make space for a number one center? I don't understand? Cut the worthless defensemen since nobody wants them. And even then, why is he the one assigned to the AHL in stead of someone who is clearly much lower on the depth chart?

What the hell Vegas?!

Pikma

Banned
I was looking at the Vegas playing roster after wondering "but wait? How come I haven't heard anything about that supposed number 1 Russian center? What's his name again? Trouble adjusting to the NHL perhaps?"

Name: Vadim Shipachyov

And I read stuff like this:

"To solve that problem, the Rangers would be wise to look to the NHL’s newest franchise. After landing KHL superstar Vadim Shipachyov over the summer, the Vegas Golden Knights have buried the KHL’s third leading scorer from last season in the AHL. While it was initially seen as a paper transaction to buy Vegas time to move some of the bad defenseman they took in the expansion draft, that’s turned out not to be the case.

The Golden Knights are 3-0 to begin the season (the first expansion franchise to ever start 3-0) and with nothing suggesting that a recall to Vegas is imminent, Shipachyov reportedly wants out. "

------

Uhhhh, what? What exactly is going on here? Too many defensemen therefore they can't make space for a number one center? I don't understand? Cut the worthless defensemen since nobody wants them. And even then, why is he the one assigned to the AHL in stead of someone who is clearly much lower on the depth chart?

What the hell Vegas?!
Send him our way, Nill apparently can't have enough commies on our team

Alucard

Banned
not holding my breath
honestly we could win 3-2 too, go up 3-0, and give up 2 goals in the final 5 mins, and just hang on to victory

I just wish we play a complete 60min game

I just don't want Ovechkin to score, and I don't want to see Kuznetsov do his stupid bird shit.

Top Bottom