• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

Erdrick

I always liked Miettenen 300% more than his play deserved simply because "Mittens" is a cool nickname.

I wish I shared your confidence going in. I prefer to start the season on the road because I'm always extra bummed out when the first game of the season is a loss and you can't blame it on being on the road. ;)

I should be home by 8, I had thought I would only miss the first period but I guess not. If Matthews has 4 goals in the first half of the game like last season I reserve the right to not bother watching at all. :p

He had a good FInnish metal band at least, I recall, but he also almost killed Zach Redmond in practice, I think.

Relax. We've got a competent goalie now. The defence will settle in and we can let our offence light up the Leafs tonight. Gotta keep an eye on Matthews of course, but that's what... well, I don't know who's going to shadow him. Guess we'll see. The place is going to explode when they score the first goal of the year, that's for sure. Can't wait for someone to smash Kadri with a good hit. I can't stand that little pest.

DLTIJY-X0AMRqb7.jpg:large

What strikes me about this pick is how obviously cold the guy on the left is, and how obviously not cold Laine is. Built to be a Pegger, that boy.

calder

DLTIJY-X0AMRqb7.jpg:large

What strikes me about this pick is how obviously cold the guy on the left is, and how obviously not cold Laine is. Built to be a Pegger, that boy.

Ehlers is from Denmark, so it's not like he grew up in Miami or anything but it's definitely not like growing up in Finland either.

"Aalborg is cool most of the year, with average high temperatures of around 20 °C (68 °F) and lows of 11 °C (52 °F) during the summer,[41] and average temperatures of −3 to 2 °C (27 to 36 °F) during the coldest months of January and February, rarely dropping below −15 °C (5 °F)."

Damn that's pretty temperate actually, I'd be fine with that sort of cool but never that cold or hot climate.

The pic was taken in Montreal in February it seems

Erdrick

Ron

muhfuckin

Hainsey

Fuck him forever. Gets paid 4.5 million a year and wastes our space on D for 2 damn years and doesn't even score ONE goal. He's your problem now, though. He can rot on your team forever.

It's snowing and they're drinking iced coffees...

They're both from similar climates back at home, so it's not much of a shock for them.

Besides, I get Slurpees in January when it's -35 not counting the wind chill, which makes it around -50, anyway. Welcome to WInnipeg. =)

Holiday

Banned
https://deadspin.com/every-nhl-team-is-bad-a-season-preview-1818851595

some gems:

Tampa Bay Lightning

2016-17 record: 42-30-10

What’s bad: The Lightning were picked by a lot of people to win the Stanley Cup last year yet missed the postseason and were given a pass because of injuries. Alleged genius GM Steve Yzerman chose to be a seller at the deadline and the Lightning missed the eight-seed by one point. He took a team from Cup favorite to the draft lottery and received glowing praise from hockey writers that orgasm when talking to great players from the 1980s, just for freeing up a few bucks under this year’s salary cap. So when you see the talent and health of the Lightning this year, just know it will go sideways in an entirely preventable way and Yzerman will work a GM of the Year finalist nod out of it.

Toronto Maple Leafs

2016-17 record: 40-27-15

What’s bad: For all the talk of this team arriving last season, the Leafs lost more games than they won and let the choking-dog Capitals off the hook in the first round. But when it came time to build on that season in free agency, they overpaid for the rotting husk of Patrick Marleau—three years and $18.75 million. Because when you want to teach a young core about winning in the playoffs, you turn to a San Jose Shark that choked so badly for so long they stripped him of the captaincy. “We need to pull off this heist and I’ve got the missing piece—cement boots for when it’s time to run from the police.” And don’t worry about the so-so defense group, because the Leafs solidified the so-so status with consummate so-so defenseman Ron Hainsey. It’s like Lou Lamoriello thought the rebuild was moving too quickly.

Pittsburgh Penguins

2016-17 record: 50-21-11

What’s bad: Not one motherfucker in that locker room had the guts to say, “Hey, maybe going to the White House this year isn’t the best idea.” I’m always hearing how hockey players are so tough yet they’re always the first ones to fall in line and knuckle to authority. Hockey players have more respect for logos on floors and for political building than other human beings. They’d rather stand up for a teammate that took a legal check than any actually marginalized person. What makes this even worse—because let’s be real, every other team on this list would go to a Trump White House too—they couldn’t fucking wait to let everyone know on the Sunday morning before Kneelageddon. Eat shit, Penguins. They’re winning a third straight Stanley Cup, because we live in hell.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Vancouver Canucks

2016-17 record: 30-43-9

What’s bad: Everyone on this team makes too much money and is completely untradeable: The Sedins ($7M each), Loui Eriksson ($6M), Bo Horvat ($5.5M), Alex Edler ($5M), Brandon Sutter ($4.375M), and Derek Dorsett ($2.65M). Every negotiation with Jim Benning must be the inverse of when Albert Brooks takes the first offer in Defending Your Life. And now the Sedins are 37 years old and done. This roster is two-week-old Chinese food leftovers in the back of the fridge that should have been thrown out 11 days ago.

:lol

calder

Walk out of the office, first thing I see is a woman with a Laine sweater hand in hand with a dude with a Matthews one.

Just gross. Fucked up babies incoming

imBask

Banned
didn't get any email or update yet it looks like I still have access to my free Rogers NHL TV subscription so I guess it's still valid this year (?)

Cake Boss

Banned
yeah but they told me last year that it's never guaranteed, if they decide that 17-18 is not free, then it's not and you can fudge off because the contract is built that way

That's a weird thing for them to say. They have been selling their products with the promotion that you get NHL.tv for free. There will be a shit storm if they decided to pull it out.

imBask

Banned
That's a weird thing for them to say. They have been selling their products with the promotion that you get NHL.tv for free. There will be a shit storm if they decided to pull it out.

I had to pry it out of them and read the contract a bit

That's not a Rogers thing tho all telecom companies are total scum when it comes to being vague

Quick

Banned
I saw a man in maybe his 50s or 60s wearing a Jets shirt.

I wanted to tell him that Bell quietly raised prices for MTS service users to make him feel bad.

Top Bottom