• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2017 [OT]- Kneelin' and dealin'

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
But they don't all have to play on the same line. Pull Gagner off PP1 and put Boeser there to be a triggerman.

Likewise, by every metric last season, Hutton is far and away our best powerplay quarterback but for some reason, Willie didn't use him there and we aren't this year either as we have Edler and Stecher on PP2.

We have the assets this year to not be shit. We just apparently won't use them that way.

I'm not arguing that this is the right approach--I'm just saying that coaches like vets, and no coach in the league is going to stick an unproven rookie (no matter how good he's looked in a small sample size, unless his name is McDavid, Matthews, Laine, or Eichel) on the PP on opening night if they have any other choice.

If you look at Green's time in Utica, he favoured vets over young players. Vancouver fans who are hoping that he's going to be diametrically opposite to Willie, and throw the kids to the wolves, are going to be disappointed.

Should Boeser being playing point on the PP? Probably. He's got the best shot on the team. Will he? Not until the team is struggling. (So, probably soon.)

Even if we disagree with it, it's not surprising.

Oilers should feast on a weak division. Flames and Coyotes improved but the California teams didn't change much.

Central looks like another bloodbath.

Ondor

Banned
I'm not arguing that this is the right approach--I'm just saying that coaches like vets, and no coach in the league is going to stick an unproven rookie (no matter how good he's looked in a small sample size, unless his name is McDavid, Matthews, Laine, or Eichel) on the PP on opening night if they have any other choice.

If you look at Green's time in Utica, he favoured vets over young players. Vancouver fans who are hoping that he's going to be diametrically opposite to Willie, and throw the kids to the wolves, are going to be disappointed.

Should Boeser being playing point on the PP? Probably. He's got the best shot on the team. Will he? Not until the team is struggling. (So, probably soon.)

Even if we disagree with it, it's not surprising.
Okay, I concede that all makes a fair bit of sense. I hope we get experimental soon though. I'm not watching to see Gagner not score on the powerplay.

How are people still that high on Pittsburgh? The only reason I keep hearing is "well they won the cup last year..."

Well, anything could happen, how many times did you write the penguins off last season during the playoffs. Like many other teams, the penguins would have to answer to the departures of some of the pieces which helped them win two cups.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You new-era Leafs fans are so boring.

Where's the in-your-face positivity? The overblown expectations?

I miss Manics.

Oh wait, we still have Dopey, good

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The NBA is stealing the NHL All-star format with captains picking teams.

Wonder how much better it'll be with actual personalities taking place. It'll be hard to beat the Kessel moment though.

yyzjohn

Banned
No Matthews and Nylander makes this an invalid list.

Should have at least had Borgman

Borgman2.png

Fucking Manning and AMac in the starting line up for the Flyers while Morin and Sanheim are with the team. Our coach is a fucking moron.

Erdrick

Perreault-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Dano-Copp-Tanev

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

Not a bad lineup for tonight. Leagues better than our opening one from 6 years ago.

a916

Well, anything could happen, how many times did you write the penguins off last season during the playoffs. Like many other teams, the penguins would have to answer to the departures of some of the pieces which helped them win two cups.

Well to be fair, who thought Bobs would implode so god awful... but yeah, I think this is it.

2016 Cup was a dominant run... 2017 was them running away from the Capitals and a one legged Karlsson. (And I don't think they got better...)

Socreges

Banned
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Dano-Copp-Tanev

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

Not a bad lineup for tonight. Leagues better than our opening one from 6 years ago.
Do you see Mason and Hellbuyck going 50/50?

Well to be fair, who thought Bobs would implode so god awful... but yeah, I think this is it.

2016 Cup was a dominant run... 2017 was them running away from the Capitals and a one legged Karlsson. (And I don't think they got better...)

I agree with you lol
2017 had some pathetic games by the penguins, luck was on our side.

oh well, new season!!!!!!!
Hopefully Malkin-Kessel find chemistry >.<

Erdrick

Do you see Mason and Hellbuyck going 50/50?

No. Probably 65-35 in favour of Mason. I want Hellebuyck to develop but I also want to win so... Let him play when Mason needs a break or is cold. It's not going to be like last year with the rotation of Hellebuyck, Hutchinson and Pavelec, that's for sure, thank goodness.

calder

Ehlers-Little-Laine
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Dano-Copp-Tanev

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers

Mason
Hellebuyck

I mostly like those lines. Tanev is horrible but every coach has that one totally-shitty-at-hockey-but-tries-real-hard guy they just love so whatever. Let's hope Connor gets called up sooner rather than later, but maybe he needs top 6 minutes in the AHL more right now.

I expect Mason to get about 60% of the starts but I would not be at all surprised if Hellebuyck takes the starting job by the end of the season. That would be ideal, and is probably what Chevy is hoping for too.

calder

Ah shit, I didn't realize it was an early game tonight, I thought it started at 7! Not only will I miss some because I have to make a stop on the way home but I'm going to be slammed by traffic leaving work.

6PM starts suck. Because I work across the street from the MTS Centre I'm probably also going to have to fight my way through a pack of TSN/Snet reporters scouring the streets for Matthews hot takes.

Ah shit, I didn't realize it was an early game tonight, I thought it started at 7! Not only will I miss some because I have to make a stop on the way home but I'm going to be slammed by traffic leaving work.

6PM starts suck. Because I work across the street from the MTS Centre I'm probably also going to have to fight my way through a pack of TSN/Snet reporters scouring the streets for Matthews hot takes.

doesn't your car have a cow catcher?

Erdrick

I mostly like those lines. Tanev is horrible but every coach has that one totally-shitty-at-hockey-but-tries-real-hard guy they just love so whatever. Let's hope Connor gets called up sooner rather than later, but maybe he needs top 6 minutes in the AHL more right now.

I expect Mason to get about 60% of the starts but I would not be at all surprised if Hellebuyck takes the starting job by the end of the season. That would be ideal, and is probably what Chevy is hoping for too.

At least Tanev is better than Antti Miettenen or James Wright. Connor will be up when he is ready. It's only a matter of time.

Yeah, fuck these early starts. The game should start at 7pm like normal. On the other hand, we get to wreck the Leafs sooner, I suppose. :)

Marvie_3

Banned

Just go to the game. You'll see the whole thing.

calder

At least Tanev is better than Antti Miettenen or James Wright. Connor will be up when he is ready. It's only a matter of time.

Yeah, fuck these early starts. The game should start at 7pm like normal. On the other hand, we get to wreck the Leafs sooner, I suppose. :)

I always liked Miettenen 300% more than his play deserved simply because "Mittens" is a cool nickname.

I wish I shared your confidence going in. I prefer to start the season on the road because I'm always extra bummed out when the first game of the season is a loss and you can't blame it on being on the road. ;)

I should be home by 8, I had thought I would only miss the first period but I guess not. If Matthews has 4 goals in the first half of the game like last season I reserve the right to not bother watching at all. :p

Top Bottom