• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Detroit Red Wings, Pavel Datsyuk 'very close' to agreeing to multi-year contract extension

ajJnI.gif

Great news. We need this guy until retirement, and he's hardly ever hit so he doesn't have a ton of wear on him.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much everyone seems to be saying Ulf Samuelsson is going to be one of Vigneault's assistants. Pat Leonard at the Daily News is also saying Newell Brown may be coming along too.

Pavel Datsyuk ‏@Datsyuk13 25s
Signed 3 yr. extension. Detroit, glad to be here for 4 more yrs.Thanks to our fans, friends and Ilitch family @DetroitRedWings @danmilstein

Ted Kulfan ‏@tkulfan 3 min
Datsyuk's agent Gary Greenstin says 3 year deal worth $23 million: $10 million first year: 7.5 2nd year; 5.5 3rd year. Cap hit is 7.5 mil

gOwIx.gif

Dat beautiful cap hit for a player of his caliber, Kenny got 'er done!!!!!

Curufinwe

Thanks Philly, you guys are always good to make everyone's day during the offseason. The laughs you bring truly make up for the sadness that MS's current PR and Xbox One problems are causing me.

Since you obviously don't have any problem signing players thru to the age of 39 even though their cap hit will count if they retire, you must think the Streit deal is funny because $5.25M AAV is too high. Given some of his comparable players, how much should he be making per year?

Markov $5.75m
Wisniewski $5.5m
Carle $5m
Gonchar $5m
Martin $5m

http://www.capgeek.com/comparables/?player_id=1076

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Since you obviously don't have any problem signing players thru to the age of 39 even though their cap hit will count if they retire, you must think the Streit deal is funny because $5.25M AAV is too high. Given some of his comparable players, how much should he be making per year?

Markov $5.75m
Wisniewski $5.5m
Carle $5m
Gonchar $5m
Martin $5m

Flyers should have re-signed Carle instead of going after Suter and Zach Parise.

Keep what you have and build on that, instead of targeting every high-priced FA that turns up on the market.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Great deal with that cap hit, although I still slightly hesitate at it being a $7.5 million cap hit at age 38. Oh well. He's worth it.

Markov $5.75m
Wisniewski $5.5m
Carle $5m
Gonchar $5m
Martin $5m

You just said the same thing in your HFboards post. But Datsyuk >----------------------------------------------------------- Streit in terms of value per contract.

Curufinwe

You just said the same thing in your HFboards post. But Datsyuk >----------------------------------------------------------- Streit in terms of value per contract.

So how much? Give me a number that wouldn't be funny.

Datsyuk is the far superior player, but $5 million is the market price for free agent defensmen like the ones I listed.

Flyers should have re-signed Carle instead of going after Suter and Zach Parise.

Keep what you have and build on that, instead of targeting every high-priced FA that turns up on the market.

It was completely clear that they had to do something to upgrade the team. Paying $5m a year to Carle wouldnt have helped anything. If the Preds hadnt matched for Weber the Flyers would have been a much better team this year, Homer wasnt wrong to try and upgrade the defense he just got unlucky that he wasnt able to land anyone.

So how much? Give me a number that wouldn't be funny.

Considering Isle's fans seemed to agree he is now more of a 3rd pairing PP guy, I would have went for at least 3.5 - 4 million. Not too mention Streit seems to be declining more than what Datsyuk is by far. Also you can still build a team around Pavel, Streit not so much.

Considering Isle's fans seemed to agree he is now more of a 3rd pairing PP guy, I would have went for at least 3.5 - 4 million. Not too mention Streit seems to be declining more than what Datsyuk is by far. Also you can still build a team around Pavel, Streit not so much.

The years are also excessive. 2 would have been good.

Yup, good point. Streit is more likely to decline way more than Datsyuk and he is signed to a longer deal and older.

They are both signed for 4 years but yes Streit is 1 year older. Of course Streit is going to decline more, Pavel is a much much better player. It is silly to compare the 2, the whole point was that Streit got a deal that is very comparable to other similar defensemen. Look if you just want to rip Homer for a bad deal mention the Bryz contract that wound up being a horrible deal. The Streit deal is a bit of an overpay but nothing crazy at all.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
It was completely clear that they had to do something to upgrade the team. Paying $5m a year to Carle wouldnt have helped anything. If the Preds hadnt matched for Weber the Flyers would have been a much better team this year, Homer wasnt wrong to try and upgrade the defense he just got unlucky that he wasnt able to land anyone.

Never said he was wrong to try to do this, but when you have all the time to try and renegotiate with a player you know is going to be a FA at the end of the season, you try and do that. Not salivate and start throwing money at guys who may or may not sign there.

Carle for 5m would probably have been a better option than a 35 year old Streit at 5.25m.

Like I said before, I have no problem with them signing Streit it's the LENGTH of the contract that I don't like.

Bryz's deal is terrible, but I put that more on Snider than Homer. Old Eddie had to get his "White Whale".

Top Bottom