• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

It never really made any sense. It would have completely cannibalized sales (which publishers would hate) and the logistics of having ten people owning a game but not being able to play simultaneously sounded extremely problematic (which gamers would inevitably hate).

I don't think Microsoft was ever really serious about family sharing. They introduced it AFTER the huge backlash as a carrot, but I think at that point they were seriously considering dropping DRM and the entire system altogether anyhow. DRM would have impacted hardware sales and family sharing would have impacted software sales. It was unsustainable.

Actually they announced it during the XB1 revel before there was any backlash.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Yeah I was gonna say, they announced it. It's just that nobody cared about the benefits with all the other bad news out at the time that were more widely reported.

To be fair that was just when the backlash intensified. Their DRM had been rumored for months and people definitely expressed their dislike of it leading up to the reveal.

Well it's not like they could announce a feature before announcing the console. They announced it as early as they cluld and it went widely unnotices beause the news were dominated by DRM/always-on.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah I was gonna say, they announced it before E3. It's just that nobody cared about the benefits with all the other bad news out at the time that were more widely reported.
No, they announced family sharing, but never revealed that it could be any ten people. If that was always the case, why didn't they tell us that sooner? Because it never existed.

[edit] Smiley drinking the Kool-Aid. Not you too. :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That's huge Xbox news. It basically means that Sony will have competition again.

Meanwhile, the Rangers have announced a press conference at Radio City Music Hall at 11 am on Friday. I wonder what they could possibly be announcing...

Smiley90

No, they announced family sharing, but never revealed that it could be any ten people. If that was always the case, why didn't they tell us that sooner? Because it never existed.

[edit] Smiley drinking the Kool-Aid. Not you too. :(

Ah, now I see what you mean. Mhmm. Maybe they're terrible at PR? :p

But hey, I always said I was going into next-gen pro-MS and Sony were the once that needed to convince me to switch. They haven't done that so far, mostly because I don't like their exclusives lineup. They have the price and hardware power going for them, that's basically it to me at this point. Still, I'll make my decision in 2014 probably. Once all the games&actual system facts are out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wy do people take such offence regarding which console you want to get? I don't get it.

And there goes the family sharing plan..... thanks internet. :/

Honestly I didn't care about the DRM but thought the sharing plan was really cool, but alas it is no more.

Edit: Apparently they said it won't be there for launch now, so maybe there is HOPE!!!! Ah who am I kidding, it's dead.

Socreges

Banned
Ah, now I see what you mean. Mhmm. Maybe they're terrible at PR? :p

But hey, I always said I was going into next-gen pro-MS and Sony were the once that needed to convince me to switch. They haven't done that so far, mostly because I don't like their exclusives lineup. They have the price and hardware power going for them, that's basically it to me at this point. Still, I'll make my decision in 2014 probably. Once all the games&actual system facts are out.
Same. That was always my plan, but the XBone is actually a viable candidate now. By Spring 2014 (ish) we should have a much better view of things (graphics capability, 3rd party support, upcoming exclusives, policies, online infrastructure, controller quality, price of the console, etc).

Honestly I didn't care about the DRM but thought the sharing plan was really cool, but alas it is no more.
Again, that family sharing stuff was probably never a realistic Plan A and likely never will be. Microsoft was probably trying to see what the reaction would be from consumers, distributors and publishers before dropping DRM altogether. It'll be revisited again in the future (DRM, that is), but they'll want to be better at navigating those uncharted waters.

Solo

It's still stupid, especially the guys who stop but they let it go anyways.

Newp.

It's kind of hilarious that you're on the no fun police for this one giving how vocal you were last season about the Habs trying to reel PK's antics in (which resulted in a Norris trophy, by the way). The point of pro hockey is to score and entertain fans. Exciting/skilled play shootout goals do both. As long as you don't kick the puck in or throw it in or run the goal, anything should go.

I wish MS would have just ditched the Kinect always connected which would have knocked the price down if it wasn't bundled than get rid of the DRM and some of the features they had planned.

And yes Soc, it may have not been a very realistic plan, but it was something they were going to try and seemed extremely interesting despite them skipping on the details. Still, that would have been something that could have really made an impact if it was fully though out and was able to be released and tested. Just hope they come back with it down the line for downloaded games, would be nice.

Edit: Apparently they said it won't be there for launch now, so maybe there is HOPE!!!! Ah who am I kidding, it's dead.

Right alongside nearly every other reason I wanted an XBox One. I doubt it'll make a comeback.

Again, that family sharing stuff was probably never a realistic Plan A and likely never will be. Microsoft was probably trying to see what the reaction would be from consumers, distributors and publishers before dropping DRM altogether. It'll be revisited again in the future (DRM, that is), but they'll want to be better at navigating those uncharted waters.

Eh. I doubt they dropped this kind of thing on publishers without discussing it first, especially if they were already developing games. Publishers can try and act like they were in the dark all they want ("Well, we'll figure out a way to make it consumer friendly! This is all new news to us!"), but Microsoft definitely let them in on all of this. They were just the ones left holding the bag when publishers saw the backlash those policies got.

Red_Man

Newp.

It's kind of hilarious that you're on the no fun police for this one giving how vocal you were last season about the Habs trying to reel PK's antics in (which resulted in a Norris trophy, by the way). The point of pro hockey is to score and entertain fans. Exciting/skilled play shootout goals do both. As long as you don't kick the puck in or throw it in or run the goal, anything should go.
Im not sure why you're comparing PKs antics that are restricted to him, to a league wide policy that effects every team and every player? Regardless, there were too many payers abusing it, and slowing down to the point of essentially stopping which is dumb. They're going to keep abusing it, so take it out.

Unless the Kinect is no longer mandatory the service member issue is still threre. I don't think the military will take kindly to an always listening and watching camera.

Well this day kinda sucks, all I need is for Ken Holland to resign Cleary and this may well be up there in the top 10 worst days ever......

Detroit Free Press said:
On top of that, Cleary was the leading scorer in the Blackhawks series, with five points. He’s 34, healthier than he has been in years, and a big body who repeatedly has demonstrated a willingness to go to the hard areas.

All those are reasons why the Wings want him back, of course

OH FOR THE LOVE OF....................

Amirox has single handedly made gaming side unreadable. I cannot believe they have not banned that buffoon yet.

Gaming side has been unreadable since the Xbox One has been announced.

Solo

Im not sure why you're comparing PKs antics that are restricted to him, to a league wide policy that effects every team and every player? Regardless, there were too many payers abusing it, and slowing down to the point of essentially stopping which is dumb. They're going to keep abusing it, so take it out.

Well, to me, the whole "herr derr forward motion" rule is dumb as shit anyways. When a player is on a breakaway, there is nothing stopping him from coming to a complete stop and flipping the bird to the goalie Andrew Ference style before roofing it if he is so inclined.

Why should shootouts/penalty shots be any different?

Smiley90

Unless the Kinect is no longer mandatory the service member issue is still threre. I don't think the military will take kindly to an always listening and watching camera.

They already announced a while back that kinect can be turned off.

Red_Man

Well, to me, the whole "herr derr forward motion" rule is dumb as shit anyways. When a player is on a breakaway, there is nothing stopping him from coming to a complete stop and flipping the bird to the goalie Andrew Ference style before roofing it if he is so inclined.

Why should shootouts/penalty shots be any different?
Because the context is completely different? There's a variety of factors effecting play during a break away that aren't there for a shoot out, and if you let them go free range what's to stop a player from skating around the net 5 times? Boundaries are there for a reason. Shootouts should just be eliminated all together.

Socreges

Banned
I wish MS would have just ditched the Kinect always connected which would have knocked the price down if it wasn't bundled than get rid of the DRM and some of the features they had planned.

And yes Soc, it may have not been a very realistic plan, but it was something they were going to try and seemed extremely interesting despite them skipping on the details. Still, that would have been something that could have really made an impact if it was fully though out and was able to be released and tested. Just hope they come back with it down the line for downloaded games, would be nice.
Skimping* :p

And of course it was extremely interesting. It meant that we would be able to own more games while spending less (zero?) money. That's amazing. And completely untenable for an industry such as this.

How is it any coincidence that Microsoft introduces this idea and then days later yanks it away, saying 'Sorry! Your internet buddies ruined it for you. We were prepared to make all your dreams come true, but suddenly we've decided to go in the complete opposite direction!'

Eh. I doubt they dropped this kind of thing on publishers without discussing it first, especially if they were already developing games. Publishers can try and act like they were in the dark all they want ("Well, we'll figure out a way to make it consumer friendly! This is all new news to us!"), but Microsoft definitely let them in on all of this. They were just the ones left holding the bag when publishers saw the backlash those policies got.
I'm not suggesting that they revealed this information to publishers and consumers simultaneously. But they were almost certainly testing the waters with the idea, both for their own benefit and to demonstrate to publishers how receptive (or unreceptive) the gaming community would be.

Acid08

Banned
correction: they used to be shit
Imo they'll still always be shit because I'm not into playing games with a camera. I won't be buying the PS4 camera either.

Bigger issues for me are still the price difference and I like Sony first party offerings more.

I'm glad MS dropped this shit because now the games can be at the forefront.

Solo

Because the context is completely different? There's a variety of factors effecting play during a break away that aren't there for a shoot out, and if you let them go free range what's to stop a player from skating around the net 5 times? Boundaries are there for a reason. Shootouts should just be eliminated all together.

You keep the red line rule in effect and the rebound rule in effect. No wraparounds, only 1 shot attempt, no hands/feet or goalie interference.

Anything goes beyond those rules. That's how it should be.

Heretic

And of course it was extremely interesting. It meant that we would be able to own more games while spending less (zero?) money. That's amazing. And completely untenable for an industry such as this.

How is it any coincidence that Microsoft introduces this idea and then days later yanks it away, saying 'Sorry! Your internet buddies ruined it for you. We were prepared to make all your dreams come true, but suddenly we've decided to go in the complete opposite direction!'

I'm not suggesting that they revealed this information to publishers and consumers simultaneously. But they were almost certainly testing the waters with the idea, both for their own benefit and to demonstrate to publishers how receptive (or unreceptive) the gaming community would be.

This is tin-foil hat territory, Socreges...

I don't think it's a coincidence. There is no way for them to police it at all without DRM checks. It was a package deal. Most of their forward thinking ideas relied on expansive DRM. People liked the ideas, but I guess they hated DRM more. I was the opposite. I really never cared about DRM and never will. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. They also did a horrible job explaining how one was necessary for the other, and that the trade-off with DRM was those cool policies, but I don't think it would have worked anyway. Gamers really, really, really hate DRM. A lot. A whole lot. The people who have to worry about it the least seem to hate it the most, too.

We can also answer the question of whether or not consoles would be bricked when a new generation started. No, they would have turned the DRM checks off and everyone would be happy. Or in reality, everyone would find a reason not to be happy.

Fair enough, although I think they were committed to Family Sharing as a program. I do think publishers would have been fine with game sharing, because I think numbers would have shown that very few people exploited the system. Most people don't engineer ways around paying for products. GAF might, CAG might, but the majority of consumers would have used it as intended. And if you could essentially kill disc piracy, I feel like that's a solid trade off.

@wsox: true. Although, MS now also has free games like PSN+, not sure how much better PSN still is.

The games aren't even comparable.

The worst part is people like Amorix will think they have won something. Hopefully in 4-5 years they can implement what they wanted to.

...uh. Why would it be good if they implemented that horseshit?

Sell me a 399 xbone with no kinect then we'll talk

This. and even then, less powerful and more for online. would have to think about it.

Heretic

I don't think it's a coincidence. There is no way for them to police it at all without DRM checks. It was a package deal. Most of their forward thinking ideas relied on expansive DRM. People liked the ideas, but I guess they hated DRM more. I was the opposite. I really never cared about DRM and never will. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. They also did a horrible job explaining how one was necessary for the other, and that the trade-off with DRM was those cool policies, but I don't think it would have worked anyway. Gamers really, really, really hate DRM. A lot. A whole lot. The people who have to worry about it the least seem to hate it the most, too.

We can also answer the question of whether or not consoles would be bricked when a new generation started. No, they would have turned the DRM checks off and everyone would be happy. Or in reality, everyone would find a reason not to be happy.

Fair enough, although I think they were committed to Family Sharing as a program. I do think publishers would have been fine with game sharing, because I think numbers would have shown that very few people exploited the system. Most people don't engineer ways around paying for products. GAF might, CAG might, but the majority of consumers would have used it as intended. And if you could essentially kill disc piracy, I feel like that's a solid trade off.

I couldn't have explained it better myself. Just for that, I will call your team the Los Angeles Kings for one whole day. I completely agree with what you posted. Restrictions needed to be made when moving in the direction that MS was. Many of us didn't mind because we saw the end product and not just the DRM and Always-Online.

Heretic

The games aren't even comparable.

You at least get to keep these games

...uh. Why would it be good if they implemented that horseshit?

Post like these make the gaming side unbearable. Do you know why they implemented those restrictions?

This. and even then, less powerful and more for online. would have to think about it.
It will probably happen soon.

The family sharing plan could have gone either way, it was actually announced with limited details and MN was going to put up a blog post this weak trying to explain it more since all of the interviews were so dang contradictory. But with that said, it could have worked as well as people were believing, or as others have said, it would have not worked closely at all and would have been unrealistic. It could have gone either way but I would have liked to have seen it actually realized and then complained after if it wasn't what we all expected of it, and I'm sure there would have been news regarding it before the system would have been released.

Smiley90

What kind of games does PSN offer? Honest question, I don't know. Xbox live gold has Halo 3, AC (I think Recollection?) and Fable 3, so if PS games are a LOT better, what are they?

Top Bottom