• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

What kind of games does PSN offer? Honest question, I don't know. Xbox live gold has Halo 3, AC (I think Recollection?) and Fable 3, so if PS games are a LOT better, what are they?

PS+ has a way bigger and better selection, hoping MS will at least copy it in turns of getting more relevant games and pushing this policy on Xbox One instead of 5 year old games like they are doing now. Only real advantage that Xbox has is that you can keep the games as long as you want even if your gold expires, with PS+, if you don't renew and just stick to free online, you can't play those games anymore.

What kind of games does PSN offer? Honest question, I don't know. Xbox live gold has Halo 3, AC (I think Recollection?) and Fable 3, so if PS games are a LOT better, what are they?

Sleeping dogs, etc. I dunno. Someone with a PS3 may be able to answer better. SR3. Uhhhh...

Acid08

Banned
I think Uncharted 3 and XCOM are two of the free games right now.

But they will put anything up there it seems.

Curufinwe

XCOM is the best current PS+ game. A GotY at many outlets and only 8 months old. Uncharted 3 and Deus Ex HR are the other big titles at the moment.

I signed up in March and have so far downloaded:

Vanquish
Joe Danger 2
Darksiders
Demons Souls
Little Big Planet Karting
Uncharted GA
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048

PS+ has a ton of games but it has been around for a lot longer. Hopefully MS will work hard to match the quality that PS+ offers.

Socreges

Banned
This is tin-foil hat territory, Socreges...
How do you figure? Look at Microsoft's messaging over the past several weeks. Look at how contradictory and shrouded it's been. Consider that they did not mention this *any 10 people* plan until after the backlash, despite the fact that, if it had been their plan all along, it would have been extremely significant to have mentioned it up front to promote a much more positive consumer response.

At least Pickles is trying. He's still wrong, but at least he's trying. :p

Fair enough, although I think they were committed to Family Sharing as a program. I do think publishers would have been fine with game sharing, because I think numbers would have shown that very few people exploited the system. Most people don't engineer ways around paying for products. GAF might, CAG might, but the majority of consumers would have used it as intended.
How hard is it to find a group of people with common interests, among friends or on the internet? Game interests wouldn't be completely uniform, but they'd overlap a great deal and impact sales significantly. By all accounts this system would be quite straight-forward and "engineer ways around paying for products" is just prejudicing language.

Pickles the Firecat said:
And if you could essentially kill disc piracy, I feel like that's a solid trade off.
Not really. I don't think there would be much of a trade off. Surely you know how pirates work. If they can't pirate the games, they don't buy the console* and they certainly don't start paying full price for the games that they otherwise would have pirated. It's as simple as that. They'll just avoid the XBone altogether. If Microsoft had killed piracy, the pirates would (mostly) just go elsewhere.

* Adding to that, spending the hundreds of dollars on a console (and then modifying it) is often the price they're willing to pay to then have access to all games for free.

Curufinwe

PS+ has a ton of games but it has been around for a lot longer. Hopefully MS will work hard to match the quality that PS+ offers.

They should have got AC3 and Halo 4 on there to really compete with Sony. Or at least Halo Reach. Halo 3 and AC 2 are good games, but so old it's almost insulting.

Socreges

Banned
They should have got AC3 and Halo 4 on there to really compete with Sony. Or at least Halo Reach. Halo 3 and AC 2 are good games, but so old it's almost insulting.
That was exactly my thought. I remember watching the announcement live. They first mentioned that there would be free downloadable games with a Gold membership. *big pop from crowd* Then they mentioned which games. *tentative applause*

Marvie_3

Banned
Microsoft still hasn't solved the biggest issue which is price point. Price absolutely matters when it comes to consumers. $499 for an Xbox One or $399 for a PS4. That's a huge difference. It matters even more now considering that the vast majority of big existing titles are going multiplatform, so game library is not nearly as big of an issue as it was before.

Think of it this way. For $500, someone who goes MS will take home an Xbox One. For $500, someone who goes Sony gets to take home a PS4, a game, and a controller.

I'm willing to bet that big box retailers will push the PS4 harder as well, because it leaves them more room to sell additional accessories to the consumer.

How do you figure? Look at Microsoft's messaging over the past several weeks. Look at how contradictory and shrouded it's been. Consider that they did not mention this *any 10 people* plan until after the backlash, despite the fact that, if it had been their plan all along, it would have been extremely significant to have mentioned it up front to promote a much more positive consumer response.

I chalk this up to Microsoft having institutional marketing incompetence. What was the last successful Microsoft product push? The 360 didn't even look like a success at launch. I'm honestly still surprised that it took off so well midway through its life. Zune HD was a terrific product--horribly marketed, failed. Windows 8 is by all means the best OS they've released in several generations--horribly marketed, in the process of failing. The Surface is the best tablet/ultrabook on the market--horribly marketed, flirting with failure. Windows Phone is a legitimately great phone OS--horribly marketed, in the process of failing. Remember the Kin? Horribly marketed, horrible product, failed. Remember the Surface Table? Barely marketed, decent product, failed. They can't get it right when they have a good product and they can't get it right when they have a bad one. The success of the 360 was a fluke. So when people ask why they didn't explain the benefits of DRM, or why they didn't yell to high heaven about Family Sharing, the answer is pretty simple: Microsoft sucks at marketing and advertising.

The two things they consistently get right are Office and Halo. They market and sell the shit out of those products.

How hard is it to find a group of people with common interests, among friends or on the internet? Game interests wouldn't be completely uniform, but they'd overlap a great deal and impact sales significantly. By all accounts this system would be quite straight-forward and "engineer ways around paying for products" is just prejudicing language.

Hard enough. I can think of six people in my personal life that I would add to a Family Sharing plan. The other four slots...would probably just sit around. Do I really want to coordinate the use of my games with someone on CAG or GAF? Am I going to act as an intermediary between them and my actual friends when they want to play simultaneously? Is that something you would do? In all honesty, I would continue to buy games as I do now. I would have the opportunity to give games outside of my wheelhouse more of a chance, because a few of my friends have different taste than me. I probably wouldn't buy those games unless they were really, really cheap. Immediate example: I bought The Last Remnant because it was on sale at GMG and a friend convinced me that it was good. I general don't like JRPGs, but I figured that it was cheap enough that I could give it a chance. That's the Family Sharing program. "Hey, try this game." If I like it, I probably won't buy it unless it's cheap...but I might buy a sequel. And I won't be buying it used, because, uh, I can't.

I don't think the average person would band together with random people and set up Google Docs spreadsheets to maximize the Family Sharing plan. I think the average person would be exposed to a few more games a year and maybe form a connection with those franchises. And maybe they would end up buying more games as a consequence. Grow the industry a bit. Give games a longer sales tail. Expose niche releases to a wider audience. There are drawbacks, and there are people who would exploit it, but there are benefits for consumers and developers, too. Benefits for the industry as a whole.

Not really. I don't think there would be much of a trade off. Surely you know how pirates work. If they can't pirate the games, they don't buy the console* and they certainly don't start paying full price for the games that they otherwise would have pirated. It's as simple as that. They'll just avoid the XBone altogether. If Microsoft had killed piracy, the pirates would (mostly) just go elsewhere.

* Adding to that, spending the hundreds of dollars on a console (and then modifying it) is often the price they're willing to pay to then have access to all games for free.

If DRM and Family Sharing worked on XBox One I can guarantee that publishers would be banging on Sony's door demanding that they implement similar features. Guarantee it. That should have been the fear gamers had--that people would actually like Microsofts features and slowly forget about DRM. Or that increased profitability would make lower sales negligible. One console being digital only was never a problem. The problem (if you think it's a problem) is that if Microsoft was successful spreading their policies was inevitable. Pirates would have nowhere to go. Maybe they would stop playing games altogether, or maybe they would move to PC. But if the One found any traction at all it's clear that PS4 was going down the same road whether Sony wanted to or not.

I'd be more upset about this, but it just means I'll hold off on a new console longer than I planned to. Will probably increase my Rome 2 playtime by 30% so that instead of taking up most of my freetime, it will take up all of it. And I might upgrade my 670 sooner than I wanted. Also, tough to be made during a week with Yeezus and Voynov resigning.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anybody buying the Xbox One is a complete sucker--especially after they couldn't even reassure people that they won't change the policy back in the future.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anybody buying the Xbox One is a complete sucker--especially after they couldn't even reassure people that they won't change the policy back in the future.
People who want to play Halo, Titanfall, Forza, etc are suckers? Post like this are what make gaming side fucking terrible, keep this shit out of NHL Gaf.

You are a Wings fan so it makes up for it, but no you are still wrong. I'm a games person first, so at the moment MS > Sony.

Pft, please.

You're the person who thinks the only PS3 games worth playing are the Naughty Dog games.

Well to me, yes they are, opinions man.

Edit: and to be fair, I did play and beat Infamous and Heavy Rain. Both were good games but nothing I jumped for joy over, Uncharted 1 and 2 however I loved, 3 was probably the worst in the trilogy though still a decent game.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
That was exactly my thought. I remember watching the announcement live. They first mentioned that there would be free downloadable games with a Gold membership. *big pop from crowd* Then they mentioned which games. *tentative applause*

Yeah... both games you can pick up really really cheap.

PS+ this month has, XCOM, LBP: Karting. Uncharted 3, Deus Ex: HR and SR3 for PS3. Gods Eater Burst, and VLR for Vita. (VLR probably next week)

I bet you dollars to donuts that the goal for Microsoft hasn't changed, just the marketing strategy.

Fine by me.

Personally I'd prefer the possibility of more money going back to publishers and developers so we can get better games and less shitty "pay to win" and micro-transactions in-game (to justify budget costs and profitability) over a Used Game market existing.

Especially since at Gamestop, EB etc you're only paying $5 difference on a used game of a new release.

So this backflip sucks in a way. I thought we were looking at a new trend where used games can be eliminated and more money goes back into game development (and, yes, Microsofts pockets).

Wy do people take such offence regarding which console you want to get? I don't get it.

Because what we spend our money on is everyones business yet everybody is upset about anything infringing on privacy and consumer rights.

Living, walking hypocrites.

I'm so fucking cool. [/drysarcasm]

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Solution: The players involved in a fight take the OTHER PLAYER'S helmet off before the fight. True gentlemen's fights now!

... That's the loophole, right? :p

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Because what we spend our money on is everyones business yet everybody is upset about anything infringing on privacy and consumer rights.

:lol so true, I think I'll get myself banned during the next console launch, this shit is pretty unbearable at times.

Socreges

Banned
I am so upset right now that I can't even bring myself to argue about the XBone

Sopranos rewatch starts tomorrow.

I've also never seen True Romance. I suppose I should do that

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I bet you dollars to donuts that the goal for Microsoft hasn't changed, just the marketing strategy.

Fine by me.

Personally I'd prefer the possibility of more money going back to publishers and developers so we can get better games and less shitty "pay to win" and micro-transactions in-game (to justify budget costs and profitability) over a Used Game market existing.

Especially since at Gamestop, EB etc you're only paying $5 difference on a used game of a new release.

So this backflip sucks in a way. I thought we were looking at a new trend where used games can be eliminated and more money goes back into game development (and, yes, Microsofts pockets).

It's not about buying used games for me, because as you said the difference is so minimal. I want the ability to trade in games I hate, or just trade in older games for money to buy new ones. There's no way I'd buy a console that wouldn't let me do that.

Top Bottom