• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel like Im on an episode of the walking dead, everyone around me is becoming infected :(

Solo

lol if you have an emotional investment in any company that you don't work for.

To them, you are just a walking profile of stats. Stats which allow them to pry your cash. Once they have your cash, you're nobody. That's literally every single company and business ever that isn't non-profit.

Kinda like having an emotional investment in a pro sports team?

;)

Alucard

Banned
Reports out of Pittsburgh say they could keep Letang for around 6 million, but that Letang wants more money and an NMC. Beat reporter Rob Rossi says Shero now sees Letang as "must-move" player.

Trade him for a solid dman and a first rounder. Pens have enough offense. They need to tighten up at the back.

Samyy

I feel like Im on an episode of the walking dead, everyone around me is becoming infected :(

EVERYONE LETS JUST START TALKING ABOUT ANIMAL CROSSING AGAIN
At least console launches happen only once in 6-8 years, It brings out bad in people, myself included.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Unless you have unstable internet coverage.

uhhhh

unstable meaning what exactly? My internet fails shit tons and I've swapped providers many times... Have had techs at my house every weekend for 6 weeks in a row but that wouldn't impede my ability to play... at all. ever.

Heretic

And it's hard to take you seriously with your borderline retarded corporate whoring on here.

Sorry, dude. I was really looking forward to the features and the direction they were headed with this console. They were pushing the industry forward instead of playing it safe.

DopeyFish

Sorry, dude. I was really looking forward to the features and the direction they were headed with this console. They were pushing the industry forward instead of playing it safe.

i think you mean they were pushing the industry forward instead of throwing it under a guillotine for cheap PR points

Acid08

Banned
All it takes is a ping to the server at any point within 24 hours. It's not a constant connection.

uhhhh

unstable meaning what exactly? My internet fails shit tons and I've swapped providers many times... Have had techs at my house every weekend for 6 weeks in a row but that wouldn't impede my ability to play... at all. ever.
Dat first world country privilege.

Could be a huge problems for gamers that live in poorer countries that don't have the internet coverage we're lucky enough to have.

Locking people out of their purchases because they can't connect to the internet was always draconian. It's great they dropped it.

Samyy

i think you mean they were pushing the industry forward instead of throwing it under a guillotine for cheap PR points

I think MS just got rid of their policies for cheap PR points too
If they wanted people to buy in to the innovation they should have had to ready, with all details fleshed out and ready to go at launch.

Acid08

Banned
tumblr_moo5eej4sj1qhp6tuo1_400.jpg

tumblr_moo5fbWyZd1qhp6tuo1_400.jpg

Laughed out loud :lol

You're absolutely right and we all understand this. The investment is with the idea and the features they were providing and I was/am more than willing for that trade off. I put down $500+ because of what they were offering and now that's gone.

I... wait... what are we talking about? What happened with you?

disc based games

draconian

Just saying that I reserved the console based on the games and features they were providing and now those features have been removed. Sounded more dramatic though :p

Oh, that was a selling point for you? Yeah that's understandable. I never really looked at is as a selling point for anyone really, just some terms and conditions on which the console operates.

DopeyFish

Dat first world country privilege.

Could be a huge problems for gamers that live in poorer countries that don't have the internet coverage we're lucky enough to have.

Locking people out of their purchases because they can't connect to the internet was always draconian. It's great they dropped it.

Like? You do know I live in canada where we have the worst Internet service, capacity, quality outside basically any country outside Africa?

First world privilege my ass.

You are seriously complaining over pinging once a day... And because you can't use a personal scenario for your complaints, you bring up poor people in other countries which has been a very common theme on these boards. Yes when I'm playing an MMO I'm just thinking how much it sucks for some poor kid somewhere else in the world who can't partake in the game. I mean... WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT

YOU GUYS ARE LITERALLY HITLER.

I HAVE LIVED MY LIFE HATING BOOKS

OMG ITS TRUE

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
How is not being able to lend or resell your disc based games to anyone you like not draconian?

You were always gonna be able to trade-in games at participating resellers (e.g. Gamestop)

You were always gonna be able to transfer the game license to a friend (once, I believe?)

You were even gonna be able to have continuous "lending" through family sharing. As if both of you had the disc, without having to physically give the disc back and forth all the time.

It's not THAT draconian.

DopeyFish

You were always gonna be able to trade-in games at participating resellers (e.g. Gamestop)

You were always gonna be able to transfer the game license to a friend (once, I believe?)

You were even gonna be able to have continuous "lending" through family sharing. As if both of you had the disc, without having to physically give the disc back and forth all the time.

It's not THAT draconian.

As I have been saying all along... It's like steam, but far far better for your rights.

They would have set precedents.

But nope! We are now stuck with 360 policies.

Which means... Your game can be played offline only on your console. You can't transfer your licenses. You can't let others access your licenses. You have ZERO leeway for connection on friends systems.

Draconian. Just over a ping in an increasingly connected world.

And now we're not gonna see steam like prices. Thanks yall (and sony)

Actually they will probably be a bit more aggressive with that considering their desire to go digital

ZeroGravity

Anyone who thinks Microsoft's DRM policies were a good idea needs to explain why video games deserve some kind of exemption to used sales. No other industry tries to blame their failures on used sales and fights against them. Video games aren't special.

You own a physical product, you have the right to do with it as you wish. Anything less is blatantly anti-consumer. And if you give them that, they'll take even more in the future.

Acid08

Banned
Like? You do know I live in canada where we have the worst Internet service, capacity, quality outside basically any country outside Africa?

First world privilege my ass.

You are seriously complaining over pinging once a day... And because you can't use a personal scenario for your complaints, you bring up poor people in other countries which has been a very common theme on these boards. Yes when I'm playing an MMO I'm just thinking how much it sucks for some poor kid somewhere else in the world who can't partake in the game. I mean... WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT

I HAVE LIVED MY LIFE HATING BOOKS

OMG ITS TRUE
I've had my internet go down for more than 24 hours before. Cable too. With their previous policies I couldn't play the single player games I purchased because of that. That is fucked from a consumer's standpoint and you're being intentionally obtuse for no reason whatsoever.

Just because you can't see outside of your bubble didn't mean these scenarios don't exist.

Although after today this is all, once again, irrelevant. Consumers spoke and MS lost.

Heretic

Oh, that was a selling point for you? Yeah that's understandable. I never really looked at is as a selling point for anyone really, just some terms and conditions on which the console operates.

The Family Sharing, no matter how limiting, was looking to be a kick ass feature. My girlfriend and I are both getting the Xbox One and only needing to purchase one game was a huge plus.

Also, never needing to swap discs out was pretty cool too. Not to mention having access to your entire library on any Xbox One by simply signing in. Simple features like that were a huge selling point for me.

DopeyFish

Anyone who thinks Microsoft's DRM policies were a good idea needs to explain why video games deserve some kind of exemption to used sales. No other industry tries to blame their failures on used sales and fights against them. Video games aren't special.

You own a physical product, you have the right to do with it as you wish. Anything less is blatantly anti-consumer. And if you give them that, they'll take even more in the future.

Games are a one shot business, for one.

I don't believe people are consuming in the act of reselling either.

Smiley90

That train left the station a LONG, LONG time ago, my friend. Or did you somehow miss Sony suing the guy who homebrewed his PS3? We don't live in a world where "I can do with x whatever I want to, it's my physical property" anymore. For better and/or worse.

Curufinwe

It's not THAT draconian.

You know where you get the best value on used games? Selling/ trading/swapping them with other people. Not a specific retailers who would hold a monopoly. The one transfer limit would also have reduced used game value as anyone buying a used game would know they could not sell/trade/swap it when they were done.

You know where you get the best value on used games? Selling/ trading/swapping them with other people. Not a specific retailers who would hold a monopoly. The one transfer limit would also have reduced used game value as anyone buying a used game would know they could not sell/trade/swap it when they were done.

It was probably headed toward a future where you couldn't, but for the time being, they said you were still able to trade in your games.

You know where you get the best value on used games? Selling/ trading/swapping them with other people. Not a specific retailers who would hold a monopoly. The one transfer limit would also have reduced used game value as anyone buying a used game would know they could sell/trade/swap it when they were done.

It would have been a concession for Family Sharing and digital libraries. The used market wasn't going away entirely, but would be limited to retailers. Instead of the person-to-person market existing, you have those two programs (and maybe more?). Felt like a good value proposition to me.

DopeyFish

It was probably headed toward a future where you couldn't, but for the time being, they said you were still able to trade in your games.

Oh hey, Microsoft was trying to actually give the people license mobility... Something every digital service has lacked. But no! We don't want cars! Our horses are good enough.

Delryk

The Family Sharing, no matter how limiting, was looking to be a kick ass feature. My girlfriend and I are both getting the Xbox One and only needing to purchase one game was a huge plus.

Also, never needing to swap discs out was pretty cool too. Not to mention having access to your entire library on any Xbox One by simply signing in. Simple features like that were a huge selling point for me.

Same. For me, the DRM was a way better feature.

I think publishers will eventually just start releasing digital copies only. Only needing to buy a code on the platform or amazon. And because of all this crap. We will be more limited in a way. Time will tell. MS did say no family group on launch, but that option could change for digital downloads.

Smiley90

Question is, how many people use multiple person-to-person resellings of the console-buyer? And how does that number compare to those that would profit from family sharing (which in turn saves you money too, just like multiple reselllings), being able to access your library anywhere, etc? I'd argue the profits outweigh the disadvantages here.

Not to mention it only restricts a very specific part of reselling - reselling a game more than once independently. Not a very common occurence.

Smiley90

Don't give me any ideas.

Tempted to make a thread on gaming-gaf titled "Now that not only the games, but also the policies of the Xbox One are better than the PS4's, how many of you are pre-ordering it?"

Then count the seconds until I get banned.

Curufinwe

Tempted to make a thread on gaming-gaf titled "Now that not only the games, but also the policies of the Xbox One are better than the PS4's, how many of you are pre-ordering it?"

Then count the seconds until I get banned.

They would say the price is still higher and the tech is still inferior, so this is just a thread to say you prefer the Xbone exclusives to the PS4 exclusives.

And how are the Xbox One's policies better? They're the same as Sony's now.

Smiley90

They would say the price is still higher and the tech is still inferior, so this is just a thread to say you prefer the Xbone exclusives to the PS4 exclusives.

And how are the Xbox One's policies better? They're the same as Sony's now.

I was making a joke. :p

But yeah, agreed on price&tech. Although tech is only what you make with it. We have to wait until games are out to see if multiplatform titles actually DO look better on the PS or not. 360 had the edge there, we'll see.

Top Bottom