• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Fei

Of course it had to be Dallas. Awkward.

In other news, Darcy says it might be impossible to move up in draft because he won't sacrifice their depth. That's right. We need to protect a team that has accomplished nothing since 2007.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
stars hire lindy ruff

wat
Derp. The signing of Gonchar, terrible rebranding and now this hiring, Stars are now the weird quiet kid in the class room that doesn't say anything and talks to himself while picking his nose.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Does this kid also play Animal Crossing?

They're truly the Red_Man of the NHL.

VBXOL09.gif

Doesn't sound like the Ruff hiring is official yet.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
While Lindy Ruff appears to have the inside track on the Dallas Stars coaching job, it's not done yet.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Tortorella interviewed strong with the Stars. Nill is expected to spend a couple of days with Ruff before a final decision is made.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I know there's been some talk of Ranger interest in Briere. I'm kind of mixed on whether or not I'd want to take a chance on him. No matter what it would have to be something cheap and short term to even be worth entertaining.

Derp. The signing of Gonchar, terrible rebranding and now this hiring, Stars are now the weird quiet kid in the class room that doesn't say anything and talks to himself while picking his nose.
How you know me brah?

I want Torterella so i can heckle him at the practice facility.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The prevailing narrative recently is that the team is leaning more towards not buying out Richards this year. That can obviously change really fast, and Richards has already talked about some of his options if he does end up being bought out, but at this very moment it seems like he might be staying.

It's kind of a tough situation because on the one hand everybody seems to think Richards is going to have a bounce back year next season, even if he has lost a step or isn't quite as productive as he once was. On the other hand, his contract is absolutely untenable and would cripple the team just a few years down the road under the terms of the new CBA, so the Rangers MUST get out of it if they want to be competitive going forward. So the gamble on not buying out Richards this year is that you have to hope he stays healthy and doesn't end up injured by next off-season because if he is we're stuck with his contract for good. It basically comes down to "will Richards provide enough of a contribution THIS year to justify gambling the future of the team?"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Went to the NHL thread.

Everything was Animal Crossing.

Well, we could talk about how crazy buttocks on a train just confirmed that whole Xbox One 60-minute "family sharing" plan. What an absolute joke.

I kind of wish they would have went ahead with it to see the absolute meltdowns that would have occurred on the gaming side when people found out it was only a 60-minute trial. Imagine if they had announced it AFTER launch day.

Socreges

Banned
Well, we could talk about how crazy buttocks on a train just confirmed that whole Xbox One 60-minute "family sharing" plan. What an absolute joke.

I kind of wish they would have went ahead with it to see the absolute meltdowns that would have occurred on the gaming side when people found out it was only a 60-minute trial. Imagine if they had announced it AFTER launch day.
ColbertCalledIt.gif

I think Marty Chinn is still in the other thread keeping up the fight. You go, Marty Chinn. Defiant in the face of reality.

Heretic

ColbertCalledIt.gif

I think Marty Chinn is still in the other thread keeping up the fight. You go, Marty Chinn. Defiant in the face of reality.

The bad thing about this is that there's no way to prove otherwise so people won't believe cboat. Just like his whole prediction about PS multiplayer not being behind a paywall. He said it probably wasn't but he wasn't sure. I could have guessed that.

He's probably 99.99% right but I would have rather know and be mad than presume and be mad. Still miss the rest of the features.

EDIT: Also, Marty Chinn is a level headed Xbox fan from what I've read.

The bad thing about this is that there's no way to prove otherwise so people won't believe cboat. Just like his whole prediction about PS multiplayer not being behind a paywall. He said it probably wasn't but he wasn't sure. I could have guessed that.

He's probably 99.99% right but I would have rather know and be mad than presume and be mad. Still miss the rest of the features.

EDIT: Also, Marty Chinn is a level headed Xbox fan from what I've read.

Dont forget he also said that a new Prince of Persia game would be shown at E3 this year. On one of the E3 bombcasts they talked about family sharing and Jeff said that MS was still working out deals with the different publishers and that was why we hadnt gotten firm details yet. There is absolutely zero reason for them to have to work out publisher deals for timed demos, hell PS+ already has that feature this gen and publishers are signing up for there games to be included. Major Nelson also said that 2 people could play through a sp game together at the same time, which makes no sense if it was just a 60 min demo. Hell if it was just a demo why would they even limit it to only one friend at a time, that makes no sense at all.

Samyy

Dont forget he also said that a new Prince of Persia game would be shown at E3 this year. On one of the E3 bombcasts they talked about family sharing and Jeff said that MS was still working out deals with the different publishers and that was why we hadnt gotten firm details yet. There is absolutely zero reason for them to have to work out publisher deals for timed demos, hell PS+ already has that feature this gen and publishers are signing up for there games to be included. Major Nelson also said that 2 people could play through a sp game together at the same time, which makes no sense if it was just a 60 min demo. Hell if it was just a demo why would they even limit it to only one friend at a time, that makes no sense at all.

Reread it, I dont think its demos. You are just limited to how much you can play per day. I think it says you can go back and keep going .
C-boat confirmed? Pce.

Pretty obvious pubs wouldn't let you play your games like that if they have their panties in a knot over second hand games sales. Perhaps if you paid a subscription to the family sharing service with a cut going to the pubs every month.

Also Heretic He never confirmed that PS online was free he explicitly stated that was unconfirmed in his post

Heretic

Reread it, I dont think its demos. You are just limited to how much you can play per day. I think it says you can go back and keep going .

Whatever the case, this is now the truth no matter what MS says. If they come out and say they had full access with no time limit, no one will believe them. I haven't read the thread in question but cboat is rarely wrong. He's been wrong though.
Pretty obvious pubs wouldn't let you play your games like that if they have their panties in a knot over second hand games sales. Perhaps if you paid a subscription to the family sharing service with a cut going to the pubs every month.

Also Heretic He never confirmed that PS online was free he explicitly stated that was unconfirmed in his post

The extra subscription was also thrown around and I would have been ok with it honestly.

And about PS multi being behind a paywall, he gave one of those "no shit" type of guesses.

Samyy

Whatever the case, this is now the truth no matter what MS says. If they come out and say they had full access with no time limit, no one will believe them. I haven't read the thread in question but cboat is rarely wrong. He's been wrong though.

The only thing he really missed was PoP which could have just been pushed to be revealed at a future event

C-boat confirmed? Pce.

On the PS3 you could originally share games with 5 other people, pubs freaked out and they lowered it to 2 people. It sounded like MS was also going to limit it to 2 people so I am not sure why pubs would now have a problem when they didnt have a problem this gen with 2 people. Also limiting it to only 60 mins a day still doesnt really make sense since Major Nelson and Phil Spencer both confirmed that the online check for sharing would be every hour. In the end none of this matters since they did away with sharing anyways.

Heretic

On the PS3 you could originally share games with 5 other people, pubs freaked out and they lowered it to 2 people. It sounded like MS was also going to limit it to 2 people so I am not sure why pubs would now have a problem when they didnt have a problem this gen with 2 people. Also limiting it to only 60 mins a day still doesnt really make sense since Major Nelson and Phil Spencer both confirmed that the online check for sharing would be every hour. In the end none of this matters since they did away with sharing anyways.

This whole thing has been really sketchy. It just doesn't add up. Why would "demos", as they're calling it, be behind a pay wall? It's just weird.

The only thing he really missed was PoP which could have just been pushed to be revealed at a future event
Or he confused the beginning of the Halo 5 trailer with it. I know when I saw it I thought of PoP because he mentioned it.

This whole thing has been really sketchy. It just doesn't add up. Why would "demos", as they're calling it, be behind a pay wall? It's just weird.

Yeah it really makes no sense we already know all XB1 games are going to have demos just like all 360 games do. It makes no sense to push slightly longer demos as a big feature. As clueless as MS has been lately they must have known the backlash when they revealed it was just longer demos was going to be insane. People would have been canceling preorders like crazy and they would have had to detail exactly how the sharing would work long before the console came out.

Heretic

Yeah it really makes no sense we already know all XB1 games are going to have demos just like all 360 games do. It makes no sense to push slightly longer demos as a big feature. As clueless as MS has been lately they must have known the backlash when they revealed it was just longer demos was going to be insane. People would have been canceling preorders like crazy and they would have had to detail exactly how the sharing would work long before the console came out.

MS just adding for fuel to the fire. I bet gaming side is having a field day with this.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

When I saw the Halo 5 trailer, I honestly thought right up until the end that it was a Prince of Persia revival, and I know I'm not alone.

As for the "demos being behind a paywall," read the statements from execs at E3 about taking a game to a friend's house, logging in, downloading the game, and then the friend being able to buy the game after an hour. If they were on the family plan list, what would the point of this be if they had unlimited access? It was right in front of us the entire time. They were being deliberately misleading with their statements.

Samyy

I dont think the "games ecosystem" is ready for the family sharing thing as people on the internet envisioned. Something has to be going back to the pubs or there is no real motivation for them to allow it.

If a hefty DRM system isn't enough then what is?

Just beat the Bell Gargoyle dude after dieing exactly 23 times. That was almost too much for me but fuck if I don't feel a lot better about my handle on the game >:]

Only all XBLA games have demos. Not all retail 360 games do.

And these aren't demos, at least in the traditional sense where you have basically a specially designed product for the consumer to sample. You would have played 60 minutes of a full game (a la PS Plus), and then been prompted to visit the store to purchase actual the full version (a la PS Plus).

edit: Now I'm remembering a comment some Microsoft exec made around the console's announcement, that the price of 'activating' a used/shared games would be the current MSRP... Oh, wow, it really was there the whole time.

edit2: What Plinko said.

Heretic

As for the "demos being behind a paywall," read the statements from execs at E3 about taking a game to a friend's house, logging in, downloading the game, and then the friend being able to buy the game after an hour. If they were on the family plan list, what would the point of this be if they had unlimited access? It was right in front of us the entire time. They were being deliberately misleading with their statements.
This doesn't make sense. Maybe he isn't a part of your Family Share that's why he's limited to an hour before being asked to buy when you're not there. Also, why would you have to go to his house in the first place. Things just don't click.

Top Bottom