• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Cake Boss

Banned
It's a good insurance marker since Reimer is injury prone and hasn't played a full season in 3 years. I still want him to go into the season as the starter because hes earned it after last season and the playoffs, but I do like the fact that we have probably the best goaltending tandem in the league.

My penis, your goaltending tandem is probably not even the best of the Ontario teams

Merguson

Banned
I remember talks of Frattin + pick(s) for Bernier a while ago. I bet you Burke wasn't willing to pay those kind of prices for Bernier while Nonis was, and now we have a deal.

EDIT: In this case, if the Oilers have deals ready to go. What are they waiting for?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You hatin? Reimer has been playing to be a potential top 10 goalie in the league and Bernier has a high ceiling.

So you have a potential top 10 goalie (debatable) and a goalie with a high ceiling and suddenly that's the best goaltending tandem in the league? :lol I'd pick either Luongo or Schneider over both of Reimer/Bernier any day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
And DRM is a welcome future? You've been programmed to believe in Reimer, remember. He's a good goalie and I'm not saying otherwise, but Bernier has a higher ceiling and will ultimately be the "1A"

DRM is welcome

And ceiling means shit...

Reimer has 2 years with over .920 pct, that's excellent

I really don't think Reimer is that good of a goalie. Probably one of the most inconsistent goalie's in the league. I definitely don't think he has the ability to carry a team on his back.

I was about to argue but forgot Bishop isn't there anymore.

Either way not like Anderson isn't greater than both our goalies and Lehner put together.

Lehner is better than Bish.

yyzjohn

Banned
Not a big fan of this deal for the sole fact another decent forward is gone off the Leafs. Frattin and Komarov were dependable and cheap on the cap, who do the Leafs replace them with? Bernier basically has similar stats to Reimer with fewer games played. Time will tell I suppose but my initial thoughts aren't that good.

Samyy

?????

I didn't realize we were breaking the bank on signing Orr.

The fact that hes still on the team is the problem, waste of space
Would be much more content finding solid players to play the PK, do some solid forechecking
Orr fights and then sits on the bench for the rest of the game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Luongo to the Leafs for Reimer! Luongo/Bernier and Schneider/Reimer!

Honestly, where's Luongo going now :( Philly after they buy out Bryz? Tampa, after all? NJ if Brodeur retires?

Samyy

Leafs-gaf is weird.

I think you'll find this is the general sentiment amongst Leafs fans. The quality Leafs bloggers I follow are already laughing at how dumb this move was. Lets take the one position we are okay at for now and give up pieces that fail to address our gaping holes defence and center.

In no way does this trade really make us that much better, I would wager it sets us back. All of Berniers numbers come from playing in front of the LA squad while Reimer put up better numbers playing in front of the Leafs D.

Also its not often we actually end up developing a homegrown talent like Frattin. Sad to see him tossed aside.

Not to mention giving up cap flexibility. Frattin/Scrivens was like 1.5mil and now how much money are we gonna throw at a forward to fill Frattins hole? How much is Bernier going to want?

Socreges

Banned
Luongo to the Leafs for Reimer! Luongo/Bernier and Schneider/Reimer!

Honestly, where's Luongo going now :( Philly after they buy out Bryz? Tampa, after all? NJ if Brodeur retires?
Toronto hasn't been an option for Luongo for months now, I'm pretty sure.

Bryz isn't being bought out. Tampa's probably content to stick with Lindback/Bishop for now. NJ wouldn't be an option until 2014. I'm hoping New York (Islanders).

I think you'll find this is the general sentiment amongst Leafs fans. The quality Leafs bloggers I follow are already laughing at how dumb this move was. Lets take the one position we are okay at for now and give up pieces that fail to address our gaping holes defence and center.

In no way does this trade really make us that much better, I would wager it sets us back. All of Berniers numbers come from playing in front of the LA squad while Reimer put up better numbers playing in front of the Leafs D.

Also its not often we actually end up developing a homegrown talent like Frattin. Sad to see him tossed aside.

Not to mention giving up cap flexibility. Frattin/Scrivens was like 1.5mil and now how much money are we gonna throw at a forward to fill Frattins hole? How much is Bernier going to want?

Bernier and Reimer aren't going to be together after next season ends. One of them are going to be traded. But I have confidence that Reimer will step his game up even more this season with this trade.

Cactus

Banned
John Shannon is a fucking idiot. Don't believe his lies.

Also, fuck Nonis.

Bernier is obviously an upgrade over Scrivens, but losing Frattin hurts. If he finds some consistency, he'll score 20 next season.

Merguson

Banned
Chris Johnston said:
Told Jonathan Bernier is thrilled to join #leafs. Don't expect contract negotiations to drag on. He doesn't want to be a distraction.

I'm sure any goalie with starter potential would be thrilled to not be behind a goalie with a 10-year deal.

65447443.gif

RC

Banned
Toronto hasn't been an option for Luongo for months now, I'm pretty sure.

Bryz isn't being bought out. Tampa's probably content to stick with Lindback/Bishop for now. NJ wouldn't be an option until 2014. I'm hoping New York (Islanders).

We're running out of baskets to put eggs in.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
None of the defensemen that would be given up would play with the Kings. Frattin and Scrivens are going to be thrusted into the lineup almost immediately.
I think he meant as in getting rid of something we don't need. A taking garbage if you will.

Seems to me this benefits LA a lot more than it does us. Bernier hasn't been a starter and I believe he was given opportunities but never ran with it. I really really hope I'm wrong about him.

This also puts Reimer in a bad spot too...

I know we had to get rid of a winger, but Frattin has a lot of upside; he just lacked consistency.

Now we really have a goalie problem on our hands. So, I'm not sure what Nonis is thinking when it was pretty clear we needed better D and a #1 centre

Now we really have a goalie problem on our hands. So, I'm not sure what Nonis is thinking when it was pretty clear we needed better D and a #1 centre

While Reimer hasn't expressed anything of the sort, Bernier said he wants to be a starter and does not want to be a platoon goalie. Right now we have two equal calibre goalies (I would give Reimer the edge because hes had more NHL action) who will push each other until one of them is out of Toronto. And a little healthy competition could only benefit the team unless it somehow spills over negatively into the locker room.

Top Bottom