• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Leafs fans are delusional if they think Bernier was brought in as an upgrade over Scrivens. He was brought in to take over Reimer's job, clear and simple. You don't trade for a goaltender with Bernier's upside and pedigree, and slot him in as a number two guy. Nonis clearly doesn't trust or believe Reimer is their long-term solution in net, either because of inconsistent play or health issues. Either way, Bernier is absolutely the new starting goalie, and Reimer's the backup.

I think Reimer will get the opportunity to be the starter based on his play last season and playoffs, but Bernier will step in fast if he falters.

Enjoy the carousel next year Leafs fans.

ShaneB

Leafs fans are delusional if they think Bernier was brought in as an upgrade over Scrivens. He was brought in to take over Reimer's job, clear and simple. You don't trade for a goaltender with Bernier's upside and pedigree, and slot him in as a number two guy. Nonis clearly doesn't trust or believe Reimer is their long-term solution in net, either because of inconsistent play or health issues. Either way, Bernier is absolutely the new starting goalie, and Reimer's the backup.

Agreed, you don't pay that price for a backup. Bernier is #1 in Toronto now, there shouldn't be any second guessing that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
500k was involved? Mhmmm... What was the limit under the new CBA again? I stil have to get used to this cash/cap trading...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Agreed, you don't pay that price for a backup. Bernier is #1 in Toronto now, there shouldn't be any second guessing that.

A 26 year old backup, a 25 year old third liner with 2nd line potential and a 2nd rounder is the price of a #1 goalie?

Montresor

Sounds about right for a RFA rights to a potential starter. They're sure as hell not the price of a backup goalie.

Potential starter is exactly that. I'm happy with the price but I think Bernier is nothing but potential right now. I very much dislike this notion that he's now 100% the new #1 goalie in Toronto. He hasn't proven anything. He is going to (hopefully) be a very capable backup who will sneak in and play well the moment Reimer falters. Reimer is the starter based on his work in the past year.

Edit: This post made because SpectreFire said "Either way, Bernier is absolutely the new starting goalie, and Reimer's the backup." earlier.

Curufinwe

I think he could be that good but Frattin is cheaper in the long-run and a controllable asset. For example, he's a RFA after this season while Read is an UFA. Throw in Scrivens, the 2nd round pick and cash...

Yup, good summary. The Couturier rumor was Flyers beat writer nonsense.

Merguson

Banned
GO LEAFS GO!

If Leafs-GAF honestly believes that Bernier is the second coming they have another thing coming.

ivkG0tz09PekG.gif

I needed to find an excuse to post this.

Montresor

The 1A and 1B stuff is a by-product of Manics's insanity. He's been banned for a long time. That joke has already been run into the ground!

But I do think you guys have all the room in the world to continue bringing up Dopey fellating Kadri's passing abilities. Oof... I love Kadri but Dopey, c'mon son.

Edit: This post made because SpectreFire said "Either way, Bernier is absolutely the new starting goalie, and Reimer's the backup." earlier.
Like I said, you don't trade for someone like Bernier and expect him to be a backup. If the Leafs think Reimer is the real deal, why would they trade for Bernier. Why does that trade make any sense to them?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Bernier will be 1A by December.

So bernier, who has worse stats even when reimer had a concussion year where he played well below his average even though bernier was playing on a better team will suddenly become better than reimer and take his job?

Unlikely.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I noticed Frattin a lot this season whenever I watched the Leafs played, which is a good thing. That said, if Bernier reaches his potential, could be a steal for the Leafs. I think it was a good trade for both teams.

Socreges

Banned
So bernier, who has worse stats even when reimer had a concussion year where he played well below his average even though bernier was playing on a better team will suddenly become better than reimer and take his job?

Unlikely.
Save my post. I've watched both goalies play. Bernier just needs the opportunity to play regularly and not under anyone's shadow. Reimer will soon be riding pine.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Save my post. I've watched both goalies play. Bernier just needs the opportunity to play regularly and not under anyone's shadow. Reimer will soon be riding pine.

Wish I wasn't on my phone cause I remember that hilarious one a few seasons ago when you said Kessel wouldn't be in the top 10 for scoring by February.

He ended up just getting knocked out on february 1 then got back in a few days later and stayed there for the rest of the season.

You were great in admitting you technically won but fully owned up to not expecting Kessel would even be close by then.

Socreges

Banned
Wish I wasn't on my phone cause I remember that hilarious one a few seasons ago when you said Kessel wouldn't be in the top 10 for scoring by February.

He ended up just getting knocked out on february 1 then got back in a few days later and stayed there for the rest of the season.

You were great in admitting you technically won but fully owned up to not expecting Kessel would even be close by then.
That was awesome. Didn't I tell ya??

That was more me reacting to the ridiculous Hart predictions and wanting Kessel to fail. But with Bernier it's just me believing that you guys are underestimating him. After all, if the Leafs org agreed with Dopey, they would have never given up so much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, I'll take this on.

I'll admit, I don't watch many Kings games, and the ones I did watch had Quick in net, but Reimer did a solid job in net with our inconsistent defense.

Bernier will get a chance, but if he fucks up, I wouldn't be surprised if Reimer is still #1 and Bernier is riding the pine.

I just don't think it's a given even with the price paid.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Dreger believes Komisarek will be bought out.

Also Nonis said this Bernier deal has been worked on since the first week of the season.

Acid08

Banned
I think Reimer will step his game up and get deserved starts. I've seen Bernier play quite a bit and he's good but I haven't seen anything from him that really makes me think he'd be the clear #1 by stealing it.

I think they'll be pretty damn near 50/50 games played by the end of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25609/leafs-get-the-real-deal-in-bernier
This man is right and you know it. Who the hell cares about Matt Frattin?

Matt Frattin was a good player but his skill set can be replaced, especially since we have a lot of young guys on the Marlies. Curious to see how Biggs or maybe even Ashton would do on the roster. But my guess is that the Leafs will sign Clarkson to fill in that void with Frattin.

I think Reimer will step his game up and get deserved starts. I've seen Bernier play quite a bit and he's good but I haven't seen anything from him that really makes me think he'd be the clear #1 by stealing it.

I think they'll be pretty damn near 50/50 games played by the end of the season.

Reims should start out as #1 and I think he'll improve a lot in the off-season. The only concern I have with Reimer is his health. And if he gets hurt again, I'm happy with the fact that we would have Bernier as a backup

Never even considered getting back capspace.

Like the trade, sad to see Bernier go. He played well when he was given a shot. Kings wouldn't have made the playoffs if he hadn't stepped up when Quick was still recovering. I'm not sure if he can carry a team, but it's possible. Frattin on the second/third line should be a nice option. Expectations aren't too high.

I'm sure Reimer feels like shit, but after he reads about how great a guy Bernier is maybe he'll come around! That's all anyone wrote about for the past three years. They can have fondue get togethers or something.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lol Jim Carey Price

So you want to compare season or playoff stats with Pricey? ;)

Obviously Price is better but he also has huge bouts of inconsistency and I've yet to see him do much I'm the playoffs.

Sigh....and now we got two goalies that need to prove to be number one. What foes the rest of NHL GAF think of LeBrun's assessment? I'm surprised to hear positives about this trade barring Swept88's post when nobody here even said Bernier was the second coming.

considering this deal has been talked about for awhile (even beginning of the season when Lu was rumored to be coming here),the same criticisms still stand: another unproven goalie in arguably the toughest market on goalies not named Montreal.

Top Bottom