• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
ijnI41jTayOcP.gif

I can't stop laughing. lol

Oh god, Sunhi's latest creation? It's brilliant. The Bish at the end got me :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
While Reimer hasn't expressed anything of the sort, Bernier said he wants to be a starter and does not want to be a platoon goalie. Right now we have two equal calibre goalies (I would give Reimer the edge because hes had more NHL action) who will push each other until one of them is out of Toronto. And a little healthy competition could only benefit the team unless it somehow spills over negatively into the locker room.
This is pretty unfair to Reimer and while inconsistent, he was stellar for most of the time we needed him to be.

This healthy competition could turn into a toxic environment and the last thing I want is to make this market harder on goalies.

Again, I really hope I'm wrong.

I'm not a Leafs fan, and I think the Kings got less than what was rumoured (Couturier). Great trade for the Leafs. I think Bernier will end up being the #1 goalie they need.

Maybe end up better than Price, even. :(

Acid08

Banned
San Jose had Nabokov, Kiprusoff and Toskala...then Kiprusoff went to Calgary because they wanted Nabokov and Toskala...
It really didn't have much to do with Toskala.

Kipper was too good to be our backup and there was no way Nabby was getting traded or platooned. Trade didn't happen because Toskala forced anyone's hand, it was a decision based on who would be our future #1.

It really didn't have much to do with Toskala.

Kipper was too good to be our backup and there was no way Nabby was getting traded or platooned. Trade didn't happen because Toskala forced anyone's hand, it was a decision based on who would be our future #1.

All this time I thought Toskala and Nabokov were platooning in San Jose.

Merguson

Banned
Apparently there was cash involved in the trade. $500,000 cap hit for Leafs?

Howard Berger said:
Can tell you #Leafs fell over laughing when Jake Gardiner's name was mentioned by #LAKings. As Tweeted yesterday, Frattin was the offer.

I know it's Howard Berger but I found it pretty funny anyways. I'm noticing Berger can be pretty spot on about his rumors. He was saying there was talks of Ron Wilson being gone in a few days, and it did happen.

Dreger said:
Sounds like Toronto expects to be busy on the trade front in the week ahead. Still eager to add a young centre and top 4 D.

everythingishappening.gif

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
While Reimer hasn't expressed anything of the sort, Bernier said he wants to be a starter and does not want to be a platoon goalie. Right now we have two equal calibre goalies (I would give Reimer the edge because hes had more NHL action) who will push each other until one of them is out of Toronto. And a little healthy competition could only benefit the team unless it somehow spills over negatively into the locker room.

"push each other until one of them is out of Toronto" doesn't sound like a little bit of healthy competition. It sounds pretty damn malignant to me.

"push each other until one of them is out of Toronto" doesn't sound like a little bit of healthy competition. It sounds pretty damn malignant to me.

Lol I don't mean that they're going to be playing to have one guy get booted, but it's no secret that if Reimer and Bernier are playing at #1 goalie status, you can't have both on the team.

Samyy

Young centers? How much are we looking to overpay here. Those are like the most valuable assets right now.
Why trade Phaneuf if were in need of top 4 D. He is our first pairing right now...
Just Toronto media hyping shit up again

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Young centers? How much are we looking to overpay here. Those are like the most valuable assets right now.
Why trade Phaneuf if were in need of top 4 D. He is our first pairing right now...
Just Toronto media hyping shit up again

When Mckenzie and dreger say he's in play... He's in play.

Phaneuf, while good in many areas makes a few big mistakes and stops skating

Drives me nuts

Samyy

When Mckenzie and dreger say he's in play... He's in play.

Phaneuf, while good in many areas makes a few big mistakes and stops skating

Drives me nuts

So then you want to get someone better then him? Who would be in play to be worth moving Phaneuf. Without him were going to give up 50 shots a game :lol

Phaneuf by himself wont get anything much with his contract so im kinda worried.

Between our previous buyouts and the cash we sent to LA as part of the deal we effectively automatically lose 3.425mil in cap space. Theres our "Clarkson" or whoever money. This team has been so wonderfully managed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Phaneuf is in play? Omgyes

In play and looking to trade are two different things though.

They'd be stupid to not listen to anyone who wants him. Doesn't mean they'd give him up.

Same way they'd listen to anyone who wanted Kessel or Gardiner or Rielly.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure who we'd play on D with Phaneuf gone. Maybe we plan on icing two goaltenders at the same time?
It would be Franson with maybe Gunnarsson.

That worries me.

Franson is a terrific 2nd line D man.

If we trade Phaneuf, prepare for even more of our D being pushed around. Sure, he wasn't great in game 7 by the was probably tired due to ice time against all the top players.

Merguson

Banned
Josh Rimer @JoshRimerHockey
Hearing Leafs have had discussions with Oilers about Sam Gagner. Leafs are looking for a young centre and he certainly fits the bill.

Interesting. What do you guys think? I don't really know much about Gagner except that he had a good season this year.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's a NHL rule that at least one Canadian city must always have a goalie controversy occurring, well done Leafs.

ijnI41jTayOcP.gif

I can't stop laughing. lol
This is fucking incredible, I'm assuming this is Sunhi's work? Might just be his best yet.

I remember Leaf fans trying to compare Phaneuf and Subban :lol good times, maybe they can make Orr their captain since he has so much heart and character.

Cactus

Banned
Phaneuf is a bit underrated, I think. He plays a tonne of minutes and puts up a lot of points, but he's prone to mental lapses and he kind of sucks on the PP. The issue with trading him (even if we do get value back) is replacing his TOI.

Razorskin

----- ------
Phaneuf is a bit underrated, I think. He plays a tonne of minutes and puts up a lot of points, but he's prone to mental lapses and he kind of sucks on the PP. The issue with trading him (even if we do get value back) is replacing his TOI.

Carlyle will assign Kostka those minutes.

Red_Man

LeBrun says Philly offered Matt Read, but Kings took Frattin instead? Is Frattin really at the same level?

Merguson

Banned
LeBrun says Philly offered Matt Read, but Kings took Frattin instead? Is Frattin really at the same level?

I think he could be that good but Frattin is cheaper in the long-run and a controllable asset. For example, he's a RFA after this season while Read is an UFA. Throw in Scrivens, the 2nd round pick and cash...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
True. It'll be interesting to see how much Nonis messes with the team that almost beat the Bruins to get to the second round.

In upside they are roughly similar but frattin fits their team better... I have a feeling they were trying for kulemin though who would be PERFECT for LA

UFA vs RFA

Frattin is cheaper

Leafs offered 500k and had a somewhat decent goalie to give up

Red_Man

I think he could be that good but Frattin is cheaper in the long-run and a controllable asset. For example, he's a RFA after this season while Read is an UFA. Throw in Scrivens, the 2nd round pick and cash...
I didn't realize Read was a UFA and the Philly beat writer just said that's why the Kings weren't interested in him.

Montresor

Frattin is built like a truck and can hit hard. But come on Leafs fans... We'll be able to replace him. The Marlies gave the Leafs a bunch of NHL-ready players last year. We would be in trouble if we couldn't replace someone of Frattin's skill level and stature with one of our AHL prospects. Maybe Biggs is ready?

Leafs fans are delusional if they think Bernier was brought in as an upgrade over Scrivens. He was brought in to take over Reimer's job, clear and simple. You don't trade for a goaltender with Bernier's upside and pedigree, and slot him in as a number two guy. Nonis clearly doesn't trust or believe Reimer is their long-term solution in net, either because of inconsistent play or health issues. Either way, Bernier is absolutely the new starting goalie, and Reimer's the backup.

RC

Banned
Leafs fans are delusional if they think Bernier was brought in as an upgrade over Scrivens. He was brought in to take over Reimer's job, clear and simple. You don't trade for a goaltender with Bernier's upside and pedigree, and slot him in as a number two guy. Nonis clearly doesn't trust or believe Reimer is their long-term solution in net, either because of inconsistent play or health issues. Either way, Bernier is absolutely the new starting goalie, and Reimer's the backup.

Potentially the best tandem in the league.

Top Bottom