• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Socreges

Banned
Canucks hire notorious hothead coach three seasons after losing in the SCF, while the team is on the decline, mainly because said coach has a Stanley Cup on his resume.

The experiment fails and Mike Keenan is sent packing within two seasons.

Let's try that again.

RC

Banned
Canucks hire notorious hothead coach three seasons after losing in the SCF, while the team is on the decline, mainly because said coach has a Stanley Cup on his resume.

Let's try that again.

I was thinking the same thing. My money's on Kesler leaving the team much like Bure did.

cube444

Let's try that again.

Torts will go when the Canucks window closes with Gillis most likely gone too. I think the Sedins and Kesler will be fine under Torts. A guy like Kassian could become his whipping boy and I'm sure Torts won't want that two goalie circus heading into the season.

Socreges

Banned
Henrik and Daniel won't change much just based on their coach. The Sedins train harder than anyone else in the offseason. They do want to prove everyone wrong. But the fact is that they're getting older and their style just isn't suited well enough to playoff hockey. The open space that they relish so much gets shrunk down even more and they can't move the puck like they need to. It's more about speed and being able to push players around in the front of the net. Unfortunately they don't have either and it's not for lack of motivation.

It'll be more interesting to see how other players respond to Tortorella and how involved the defense is (offensively) under the new regime.

I'm not optimistic. Maybe it'll work. But if it isn't working after the first season then I can guarantee it won't work for the second/third/fourth.

Really? Pretty interesting then. I didn't know that.
During the conference a few days after the sweep. He wanted to reassure people that it would be handled during the offseason, I think.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If a player like Lunqvist has issues with Torts coaching style, then I think that says a lot about the coach, and players know he had issues with him, the first couple of weeks should be interesting.

ShaneB

Torts in Vancouver will certainly be entertaining, but I think he'll be told to neuter his media antics. NY is obviously a big market, but it's not front page news like it will be in Vancouver if Torts is the one getting all the attention.

Heretic

Mike Gillis says a lot of things.

fuck you I thought we were boys

That's what happens when you talk trash about sweet ol' Corey Perry!!!

Side Note: Did you ever make that thread about the marketing group that joined gaf? When I heard you announce it I thought to myself "oh, Bish. you just gave yourself more work..." haha

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
There is no chance in HELL that Tortorella will tone down his act for the Vancouver media. That first 2-game losing streak will kick in, Tony Gallagher will lob some snark over the fence during the post-game presser and that will be that. Do you think our sports media will be able to resist baiting this guy day in and day out? He'll look back on his days fighting Larry Brooks with all the fondness of that guy in Springsteen's "Glory Days".

The Province and Vancouver Sun websites can replace their coach_img.jpg with

MVYvco3.gif

and call it a day.

Tortorella's reputation could deflect attention/criticism away from the players. Let's face it, the Canucks are not exactly full of Lady Byng candidates.

Heretic

There is no chance in HELL that Tortorella will tone down his act for the Vancouver media. That first 2-game losing streak will kick in, Tony Gallagher will lob some snark over the fence during the post-game presser and that will be that. Do you think our sports media will be able to resist baiting this guy day in and day out? He'll look back on his days fighting Larry Brooks with all the fondness of that guy in Springsteen's "Glory Days".

MVYvco3.gif

and call it a day.

Personally, from an outside perspective obviously, I think this will be good for the team. The Sedins need to toughen up and while that's not their style of play, I think Torts will grind it into them. They get too fancy at times and I don't know if they would get called out on it but you can bet Torts will say something about it.

Once again, I'd like to point out that I called it as soon as the Rags got eliminated :D

I'm more embarassed by the press covering the Canucks than any particular coach we end up with. May as well read HFboards before the papers

yyzjohn

Banned

MVYvco3.gif

and call it a day.

I think you're right. This could be a huge gong show.

Socreges

Banned
Torts will be good for taking attention off the players, at least.

At least until he decides to put the blame and attention on specific players.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
If a player like Lunqvist has issues with Torts coaching style, then I think that says a lot about the coach, and players know he had issues with him, the first couple of weeks should be interesting.

Lundqvist didn't have any issues with him. He did an interview last week saying that all the reports that he had anything to do with Torts getting fired were wrong and that he had a great relationship with him and loved the way Torts challenged him. For that matter, the stories about the players going to Sather and asking him to fire Torts were all wrong, too. Sather said that he never talked to any of the players and just had a "gut feeling" that the players needed a change (which is probably true, if nothing else the guys were getting way too banged up in Torts' system). Of course, that could all just be lip service, but the fact is that, other than Avery and to a lesser extent Gaborik, I can't recall ever hearing any of the Rangers complain about Tortorella, at least not recently anyway.

There are definitely some players who are completely and totally incompatible with Tortorella and his style, but the whole "players hate him and tune him out, and he can't coach in the modern NHL!" thing is mostly the result of media guys projecting their own opinions onto the players.

As long as they get everything else they need to deal with in the offseason sorted out, I think the Canucks will be fine under Tortorella. A little ass kicking is good for you every now and then. This is hockey, after all.

Where is the "can't afford?" Bonus amounts were negotiated. That is normal.

You said "maybe for the first overall outright", that was my objection. You'd be all sorts of stupid not to trade Gudbranson for the first overall.
Maybe because Gudbranson skill set is unique in our pool. He projects as a huge, physical, minute eating d-man. Besides Petrovic (less physical more PMD) we have no one with his tools.

It would be a tough choice to move if that were the offer outright.

Socreges

Banned
Dubbed, the question is basically "Would you trade Gudbranson for MacKinnon/Jones?"

Meta, thanks. Good to hear a positive spin on things.

Razorskin

----- ------
Where is the "can't afford?" Bonus amounts were negotiated. That is normal.

:lol right like your team doesnt have a internal cap to hold, face it the team couldn't afford the few million. And on top of that if he's as valuable of Seth Jones he should get all the bonuses going his way.

:lol right like your team doesnt have a internal cap to hold, face it the team couldn't afford the few million. And on top of that if he's as valuable of Seth Jones he should get all the bonuses going his way.
Um the same team that went out and spent a whole fuckton in FA that year? We brought in Campbell 7m, Upshall 3m, Jovo 4.25, Flash 4.5. Not to mention Hubby and Shore made a lot in bonuses this year too. It was a negotiation on bonuses, again nothing out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom