• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Stasis

That was a great presser for Torts I found. I still love the dude. I didn't want him gone.

I'm happy with AV, and certainly curious to see how that changes the dynamic, but I'm not one of those who were calling for Torts' head. I think he'll do fine in Van.

45074_297980210321796_1590550529_n.jpg

5 year deal for, at most, nearly 3 years of work? Good deal Torts!

God I can not wait. As fans, is there a way we can torment Torts from afar? Time to start emailing Ed Willes and asking him loaded questions about the Canucks "approach" and whether Torts is a good fit for the "cerebral Canucks".

ku-medium.jpg

http://deadspin.com/john-tortorellas-high-school-yearbook-entry-is-all-sor-507573862

I'm trying to organize a "Where is Musky" chant for when he comes back to the garden with the Canucks

Socreges

Banned
Vigneault: 5 years
Tortorella: 5 years
Eakins: 4 years
Ruff: 4 years
Roy: 4 years

This is standard for an offseason hiring. Doesn't mean he'll last anywhere close to that long if he isn't successful.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Habs have a lot of good D prospects / players they could trade, I'd like to see Bergevin make push for that 4th pick. I want to see him move Pleks at the draft too, but I doubt that happens.

Cake Boss

Banned
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Five year deal for Tortorella in Vancouver.

LOL

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mike Gillis is a fucking idiot, he should have been the 1st one to go before AV. His team was 1 win away from winning the cup and instead of just adding small pieces he completly overhauled the teams playing style from a fast paced skilled team into a wanna be tough team that cant score goals.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Can anyone that watched it recap the presser please? Anything else except contract length?

Why is everyone so upset about 5 years? It's not like coaches don't get fired earlier all the time.

Socreges

Banned
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mike Gillis is a fucking idiot, he should have been the 1st one to go before AV. His team was 1 win away from winning the cup and instead of just adding small pieces he completly overhauled the teams playing style from a fast paced skilled team into a wanna be tough team that cant score goals.
He did what now? Specifically, what is this "complete overhaul" that you're talking about?

Cake Boss

Banned
He did what now? Specifically, what is this "complete overhaul" that you're talking about?

Well for one trading your most skilled prospect for a guy your hoping to bring an element to your team that is lacking and thats physicality and "toughness".

Especially when your center depth isnt all that great to begin with an injury prone #2 center.

Socreges

Banned
Well for one trading your most skilled prospect for a guy your hoping to bring an element to your team that is lacking and thats physicality and "toughness".

Especially when your center depth isnt all that great to begin with an injury prone #2 center.
"For one", yes. That's one trade (and it wasn't a good one). Now, what's the rest?

Or is trading away their (slow skating) third line center who had been wanting out for a while considered a "complete overhaul from a fast paced skilled team into a wanna be tough team"?

The biggest change the Canucks suffered was that their 'bargains' were suddenly up for new contracts while other players aged/cooled down.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A Philly reporter mentioned Hiller as a possibility in a Ryan package, especially with the emergence of Fasth this year, and the crazy goalie depth the Ducks have.

Slurmer

Banned
Just saw the news. Bye bryz. I think you got kind of a rough break, but, well...nobody can blame the team for buying you out at this point.

cube444

A good buddy of mine who used to post here (still might?) with "insider" knowledge is saying Thomas will end up a Flyer.

He used to blog.

We traded a guy who was a persistent whiner and was questionable as a third line center for someone with similar offensive skills, but in a bigger meaner body.

Cake Boss

Banned
We traded a guy who was a persistent whiner and was questionable as a third line center for someone with similar offensive skills, but in a bigger meaner body.

loool similiar skill, one guy's career high is 11 points and the other guy is a #1 center of another team and had 34 points in 48 games.

Yeah similiar offensive skills.

Socreges

Banned
loool similiar skill, one guy's career high is 11 points and the other guy is a #1 center of another team and had 34 points in 48 games.

Agreed here.

Spectre believes in Kassian. I hope he ends up being right, but I doubt it.

I would be okay with an Emery/Mason duo for a year or two.

This means we will lose Couturier for a collection of picks, and he will win the Selke in Columbus or something.

Because they totally played under similar conditions right? Oh wait, they didn't.

Hodgson benefited from playing with a super hot Thomas Vanek for the first half of the season on the top line, so obviously, when Vanek scores, Hodgson does too.

Kassian played extremely well when he was on the top line for the first few games of the season, then cooled down significantly when he had to play the rest of the season with offensively stunted players on the bottom six.

Cake Boss

Banned
Oh yeah because Kassian didnt benifit from playing play with top end talent, yeah playing with the Sedins didnt do anything for his stats as well. At least Hodgson didnt suck after 2 weeks for the coach to take him off the top line.

You are kidding yourself if you think Kassian has the same offensive skills and tools as Hodgson, they are complety different players. Those are some fine ass homer glasses you got there.

Top Bottom