• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Oh yeah because Kassian didnt get the chance to play with top end talent, yeah playing with the Sedins didnt do nothing for his stats as well. At least Hodgson didnt suck after 2 weeks for the coach to take him off the top line.

You are kidding yourself if you think Kassian has the same offensive skills and tools as Hodgson, they are complety different players.
Kassian played with top end talent for around 7 games in the entire season, and had little powerplay time. Cody Hodgson played with top end talent for the majority of the season, and had plenty of top powerplay time. It doesn't take an idiot to figure out how or why Hodgson scored more.

How about let's break some math into it.

Hodgson at EV playing with top end talent (Vanek):
9G 9A 18Pts 425TOI

Kassian at EV playing with top end talent (H. Sedin):
4G 1A 5Pts 123TOI

Now if you scale up Kassian's TOI in the top line with Hodgson's, it projects a lot more favourably:
14G 3A 17Pts 425TOI

If Kassian stayed with the Sedins for the majority of the season like Hodgson did with Vanek, he would've been on a pace to score a lot more EV goals while keeping pace in points. Hell, they both matched each other pretty evenly during the start of the season when they both were on the top lines, with Kassian being more of the goal scorer (understandably playing with the Sedins).

Sure math isn't always correct, but it's a good guideline to follow, and it's a lot more telling than your hur hur hur hodgson scored more lololol. It shows that Kassian absolutely has potential and upside to be a top quality offensive player, his only problem is inconsistency, which we all knew was going to be an issue going into it.

Cake Boss

Banned
Kassian played with top end talent for around 7 games in the entire season, and had little powerplay time. Cody Hodgson played with top end talent for the majority of the season, and had plenty of top powerplay time. It doesn't take an idiot to figure out how or why Hodgson scored more.

How about let's break some math into it.

Hodgson at EV playing with top end talent (Vanek):
9G 9A 18Pts 425TOI

Kassian at EV playing with top end talent (H. Sedin):
4G 1A 5Pts 123TOI

Now if you scale up Kassian's TOI in the top line with Hodgson's, it projects a lot more favourably:
14G 3A 17Pts 425TOI

If Kassian stayed with the Sedins for the majority of the season like Hodgson did with Vanek, he would've been on a pace to score a lot more EV goals while keeping pace in points. Hell, they both matched each other pretty evenly during the start of the season when they both were on the top lines, with Kassian being more of the goal scorer (understandably playing with the Sedins).

Sure math isn't always correct, but it's a good guideline to follow, and it's a lot more telling than your hur hur hur hodgson scored more lololol. It shows that Kassian absolutely has potential and upside to be a top quality offensive player, his only problem is inconsistency, which we all knew was going to be an issue going into it.

specs-goggles.jpg

Hodgson 139GP P 77 PPG 0.55
Kassian 83GP P 21 PPG 0.25

Erik Condra also had a great week playing with Spezza once, he was a PPG as well, if only our coach was smarter than that and keep him playing with Spezza. Condra has showed some great upside to be a top quality offensive player judging by that 1 week sample size.

My sample size is 2 seasons, your sample size is 1 week playing with the Sedins.

Fei

:lol

I admit Hodgson has been a liability in his own end, but he's been great otherwise. He's been a great compliment to Vanek - and not just been carried by him. For being only 23, he's handled his opportunity really well. One of the few bright spots from last year.

Edit: I have no idea how Kassian's played in VAN, but there's been zero complaining from the Sabres fanbase on this trade.

Hodgson 139GP P 77 PPG 0.55
Kassian 83GP P 21 PPG 0.25

Erik Condra also had a great week playing with Spezza once, he was a PPG as well, if only our coach was smarter than that and keep him playing with Spezza. Condra has showed some great upside to be a top quality offensive player judging by that 1 week sample size.

My sample size is 2 seasons, your sample size is 1 week playing with the Sedins.
Again, you keep throwing out stats that mean nothing because you don't contextualize it. It's like you don't even read what I write.

Hodgson spent 40+ of his games playing as a top line center and 63 as an extremely sheltered 3rd line center. In his first outing with the Canucks, he had 3 points in 20 games playing on the bottom six. Hell, Kassian had a better pace in his first attempt in the NHL with 10 points in 44 games. Hodgson also had much more powerplay opportunities in those games than Kassian has had in his career so far.

Kassian by comparison, has played only a handful of games as a top six forward, and the vast majority on the 4th line. Of course he's going to score significantly less.

It is baffling to me how you keep comparing two young players based solely on their point production, while you know damn well they both played considerably different roles that make those point differences less a question of skill and more a question of utilization.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah and I wonder why Hodgson has gotten more chances to play in the top 6 and more offensive minutes than Kassian, oh I know because everyone and their dog knows that he has a superior offensive skills.

Yeah and I wonder why Hodgson has gotten more chances to play in the top 6 and more offensive minutes than Kassian, oh I know because everyone and their dog knows that he has a superior offensive skills.
Right. It clearly had nothing to do with the fact that Buffalo had no other player to step into that role.

Why don't you take off those shit tinted glasses and go down a couple of apple juices. I'm sure there's some nice black ladies in Ottawa that you haven't harassed yet.

Cake Boss

Banned
:O getting rowdy know eh?

Don't like it when someone calls out your homer ass opinions now? come on now we are just having fun.

No need to get all hostile.

yyzjohn

Banned
Right. It clearly had nothing to do with the fact that Buffalo had no other player to step into that role.

Why don't you take off those shit tinted glasses and go down a couple of apple juices. I'm sure there's some nice black ladies in Ottawa that you haven't harassed yet.

Guys why you heff to be mad? It's just hockey.

Cake Boss

Banned
Awhhh isnt that cute, big brother is standing up for little brother, awhhhh so cute.

Yes me laughing at the dumbass moves of that organization is me being salty, yes thats it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We've had more salt in the 24h since the SCF ended than for the entire Hawks-Bruins series. Not bad.

Revenant

guys, guys, guys, guys guuuuuyys........................................................................

lets talk about how happy i am.

Socreges

Banned
Can someone tell me what the word salt means, when someone is crying about something or laughing at something?
Here:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mike Gillis is a fucking idiot, he should have been the 1st one to go before AV. His team was 1 win away from winning the cup and instead of just adding small pieces he completly overhauled the teams playing style from a fast paced skilled team into a wanna be tough team that cant score goals.
Salty sections in bold.

Obnoxious, ridiculous hyperbole is one of two things: excessive salt levels or mental retardation.

I admit it might not be the former.

Smiley90

Here:
Salty sections in bold.

Obnoxious, ridiculous hyperbole is one of two things: excessive salt levels or mental retardation.

I admit it might not be the former.

I'm beginning to wonder if CakeBoss doesn't understand irony either.

Cake Boss

Banned
Hmmm nothing gets people riled up like saying a player that had 11 points is not good offensively and a team that has 1 playoff win in the last 2 years that their GM sucks.

Yes that is hyperbole.

Cake Boss

Banned
Don't like it when someone uses HFBoard logic to explain hockey,

Then you need to stop talking to yourself, it makes you look crazy bro.

Edit: Oh I know what irony is, your big brothers taught me this new word, its like when someone says they don't like HFboard logic but then go ahead and say that a player with a career high of 11 points is better than the player that has 34 points because he played in the bottom 6 while the other is on the top 6.

Oh irony, the great canucks fans show me the way again.

Smiley90

Hmmm nothing gets people riled up like saying a player that had 11 points is not good offensively and a team that has 1 playoff win in the last 2 years that their GM sucks.

Yes that is hyperbole.

Zibanejad and Silfverberg must be really bad at hockey then. I mean, they're less offensively talented than Clark MacArthur or Matt Cooke.

Or wait, what was your metric for measuring offensive talent again? Ah right, pure point production. You have to agree with me then, right?

Zibanejad and Silfverberg must be really bad at hockey then. I mean, they're less offensively talented than Clark MacArthur or Matt Cooke.

Or wait, what was your metric for measuring offensive talent again? Ah right, pure point production. You have to agree with me then, right?
They have to be right? Because they score less points. Clearly nothing else matters contextually.

And Jason Spezza? Jesus Christ, that bum only scored 5 points this season. What a bust!

Cake Boss

Banned

Soo cute, if this was another canucks fan saying that Hodgson is better than Kassian is better offensively like many have already done before, no one would have said a word.

Yeah my measurement sucks so much compared to the 1 week sample size that Spec was using, dont see you quoting him? why not?

Oh the ironing. Thanks for teaching me this great word oh great one.

This is just amazing.

Smiley90

They have to be right? Because they score less points. Clearly nothing else matters contextually.

And Jason Spezza? Jesus Christ, that bum only scored 5 points this season. What a bust!

I stopped short of ignoring games played, for the sake of not confusing him with too much at a time.

Soo cute, if this was another canucks fan saying that Hodgson is better than Kassian is better offensively like many have already done before, no one would have said a word.

Yeah my measurement sucks so much compared to the 1 week sample size that Spec was using, dont see you quoting him? why not?

Oh the ironing. Thanks for teaching me this great word oh great one.

See, I knew you wouldn't respond to what I was actually saying. Oh well. It was worth a try.

Acid08

Banned

Isn't that why he wanted to be traded though? He thought he was better than a third line center and he kind of proved it. Whereas Kassian hasn't really proved anything. He'll probably get better but at this point there's no question which player is at a higher level.

Cake Boss

Banned
I stopped short of ignoring games played, for the sake of not confusing him with too much at a time.

See, I knew you wouldn't respond to what I was actually saying. Oh well. It was worth a try.

HAHAHA

Probably because it was dumb as shit?

Is Silfverberg is Zibenejad the same age of players as Cooke and Mcarthur? were they traded for each other? Do they have around the same type of games played as the comparison as Kassian and Hodgson do? Oh wait they dont.

Yeah people use points production to judge offensive talent. What a fucking revelation, call the fucking police. Its so much worse than using a 1 week sample size though. Thats where the shit is at. 1 week sample sizes woooooooooooooooo.

But you are right though, that cakeboss is fucking dumb though, only us Canucks fans who use 1 week sample sizes to judge offensive talent are clearly the superior fanbase.

Isn't that why he wanted to be traded though? He thought he was better than a third line center and he kind of proved it. Whereas Kassian hasn't really proved anything. He'll probably get better but at this point there's no question which player is at a higher level.
And he wasn't wrong about it.

I'm not arguing that Hodgson isn't the better player at the moment, I'm arguing that that trade isn't a bust and we traded a potential top six playmaker for another potential top six playmaker.

Of course Hodgson is going to be better than Kassian at this point, he's a year older and he doesn't player a role where players traditionally take longer to develop like Kassian does.

What I do find extremely annoying, is how people are calling Kassian a bust and how Hodgson is the second coming of God where not even two years ago during our cup run year, Hodgson was declared an absolutely bust worth negative value... and we all see how that turned out.

Cakeboss is being a dumbshit about everything because he just doesn't know any better, or doesn't want to. He refuses to except that player usage, age and all sorts of influences effect how good a player is at a young age and keeps going on with this stupid line of "hur hur hur hodgson's more skilled cause he scores more", completely ignoring all the evidence I've shown that goes against it.

Top Bottom