• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I can't believe the morons at HF don't understand the concept that gardiner as an 1 year into RFA at 22 years old performing equal to letang relative to age is worth more than letang on a 1 year into UFA. Guaranteed minimum 4 years upwards of 10+ vs guarantee of 1.

Like... Wtf.

Said it before and I'll say it again, you do NOT pick a D man with that high of a pick unless you KNOW he's going to be great.

You should've also listed the busts for D for the first 5 vs the stars for the first 5

Busts
Hedman - 2nd overall
Schenn - 5th overall (come at me, Leaf bros! :mad: )
Hickey - 4th overall
Alzner - 5th overall
Johnson - 1st overall
Johnson - 3rd overall
Barker - 3rd overall
Bouwmeester - 3rd overall
Klesla - 4th overall
Zyuzin - 2nd overall
Philips (this really depends on how much stock you put at a stay at home defenseman in a really weak draft) - 1st overall
Berard - 1st overall (in this case though, we never know what would've happened had Hossa not injured his eye)
Redden - 2nd overall (he did have a good few years, but I'd say he didn't produce as much for what he was given)
Berg - 3rd overall
Tverdovsky - 2nd overall

Not even close, dude's a beast and is our number one on the back-end.

Said it before and I'll say it again, you do NOT pick a D man with that high of a pick unless you KNOW he's going to be great.

You should've also listed the busts for D for the first 5 vs the stars for the first 5

Busts
Hedman - 2nd overall
Hickey - 4th overall
Alzner - 5th overall
Johnson - 1st overall
Johnson - 3rd overall
Barker - 3rd overall
Klesla - 4th overall
Zyuzin - 2nd overall
Philips (this really depends on how much stock you put at a stay at home defenseman in a really weak draft) - 1st overall
Berard - 1st overall (in this case though, we never know what would've happened had Hossa not injured his eye)
Redden - 2nd overall (he did have a good few years, but I'd say he didn't produce as much for what he was given)
Berg - 3rd overall
Tverdovsky - 2nd overall

Only a handful of those players are still in the league on a regular basis and even fewer have much, if any, impact.

Doughty, Jovanovski, Pietrangelo, Pronger are the only real gems I could find going back to 1993. That's 20 years...

God I hope this doesn't hold true for Cap'n Morgan :'(

edit: if you also take a look at the top 10 scoring defensemen in the league this year, only Suter, Phaneuf, Green, and Kronwall are the only ones even chosen in the first round.
Wat.

Hedman, Alzner, Jack Johnson and Bouwmeester are busts?

I guess according to Leafs fans, top 2 and top 4 defensemen are considered bust players.

I can't believe the morons at HF don't understand the concept that gardiner as an 1 year into RFA at 22 years old performing equal to letang relative to age is worth more than letang on a 1 year into UFA. Guaranteed minimum 4 years upwards of 10+ vs guarantee of 1.

Like... Wtf.
Letang is a young defenseman with 6 NHL seasons under his belt and just entering his prime. His point production has also been monster for the past three seasons.

Gardiner is a young defenseman with 1 full NHL season under his belt and just finished what most considered a down year in his development.

Sure things are worth more than potential. Not hard to figure out.

j-Blow has been nothing but Capt. Average. In a draft where we could've had Nash or Staal. Yeah he is a bust.

Nash was taken 1st overall and there's not even a single Staal in that draft.

I'd hardly consider someone who's played an entire career as a top 4 and top 2 defenseman is considered anything near a bust.

Busts
Hedman - 2nd overall
Hickey - 4th overall
Alzner - 5th overall
Johnson - 1st overall
Johnson - 3rd overall
Barker - 3rd overall
Klesla - 4th overall
Zyuzin - 2nd overall
Berg - 3rd overall
Tverdovsky - 2nd overall

Only a handful of those players are still in the league on a regular basis and even fewer have much, if any, impact.

Doughty, Jovanovski, Pietrangelo, Pronger are the only real gems I could find going back to 1993. That's 20 years...

edit: if you also take a look at the top 10 scoring defensemen in the league this year, only Suter, Phaneuf, Green, and Kronwall are the only ones even chosen in the first round.

That's not really fair to Redden, he was great for most of his NHL career.

Solo

#1 IN OUR HEARTS!!!

morgan+rielly.jpg

Gally%20signing2957.png

#1 IN OUR PANTS

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Not even close, dude's a beast and is our number one on the back-end.
Not worth that high a pick when they could've had any number of forwards that would have more impact
Wat.

Hedman, Alzner, Jack Johnson and Bouwmeester are busts?
Hedman has done nothing. You know the Isles could have had him or Tavares. Who is the more impact player now? Johnson has done nothing and isn't considered for any trophies nor has he scored much. Bouwmeester is way overhyped. Low point production, overpaid, and the only thing I've seen out of him is speed.
That's not really fair to Redden, he was great for most of his NHL career.
great for the first few years and then not even great in the AHL for a large number of years.

I didn't include last year's D batch since it's way too soon, but I still don't think you pick D that high unless he is something special. Jones will definitely go top 5 though.

And of all those I mentioned, with maybe Redden as an exception, I don't believe any have been Norris candidates or winners, scoring leaders amongst D, and I even wonder how many of them even have Cups.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
6ihPDXN.jpg

#1 Nose!

Dang it Holland, get him resigned!!!

Listening to the rhetoric being spewed by Holland, I think Brunner is as good as gone, sadly.

I was out of town yesterday--did anything happen with the Phoenix Coyotes/Glendale?

Busts
Hedman - 2nd overall
Hickey - 4th overall
Alzner - 5th overall
Johnson - 1st overall
Johnson - 3rd overall
Barker - 3rd overall
Klesla - 4th overall
Zyuzin - 2nd overall
Berg - 3rd overall
Tverdovsky - 2nd overall

I wish we'd have kept Schenn somehow to get JVR. Schenn would've done great in Carlyle's system

yyzjohn

Banned
I wish we'd have kept Schenn somehow to get JVR. Schenn would've done great in Carlyle's system

Can't believe people are throwing "bust" around so easily. Schenn isn't flashy, yeah he's slow but he just needs the right environment to flourish. He's still really young and will take time to develop into a top shutdown D.

Fei

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 4m

Just learn that the Lightning will buy out Vincent Lecavalier contract. #RDS

Wow.

Fei

Vinny will get paid $2.14M for the next 14 years. :lol

I think he immediately becomes the most talented UFA.

Cake Boss

Banned
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 3m

Lecavalier has 135 points in last 168 games. That's 0.8 ppg. A lot of teams can use that production.

David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 9m

Ryan Malone could be next for the Bolts... They're actively trying to trade him, first.

Tampa stahp, suprised no one took Malone off their hands yet, even though his cap hit is 4.5 for the next 2 years, its actual salary is only 2.5 for the 2 years. Not a bad price for a top 6-9 guy with some physicality thats basically being given away.

Fei

So bought out players without a NMC need to clear waivers. Theoretically, a team could claim LeCavalier and buy him out next year if it doesn't work out.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Only if its like $4M per year max and like a 4 year deal max.

Is he worth 4m a year at this point? He was invisible against Montreal every game this season. There's going to be so much pressure on Bergevin to sign him either way.

The Desharnais contract looks even worse now, they could have their centre depth look like Plekanec, Lecavelier, Eller, 4thliner. I doubt he signs with Montreal anyway.

Top Bottom